Ray-Ray Armstrong vs. Jo-Lonn Dunbar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
The biggest thing for Dunbar is that he can play all 3 LB positions in GW/JF defense. That was a key reason why JF brought him in when GW was the DC the first time, before his suspension. He is at the very least veteran depth for any of the 3 spots. Regardless of who wins the starting position I believe there will be packages for Ray Ray.
Please post again soon, your count is on a bad number.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Couple things...
Second, the fact that the Rams didn't draft a LB probably does mean something. It may mean they were more concerned about the secondary, or that they are going to do a lot more nickel than we expect, but it also may be a vote of sorts for their LB depth.

The Rams were very high on CJ Mosley he was listed behind Martin as one of the players they felt were worth moving back into round 1 for. What does this tell us? To me it says that they are a bit concerned with the LBer depth and future of the MLB position. But as the draft played out and they went more for best value with picks like Tre Mason the MLBs were remaining didn't appeal to them as future replacement for JL. So, they went with other positions. That doesn't mean that they feel Ray Ray is their future starter anywhere.

I think Ray Ray has a lot to prove before he is relied on. He is undisciplined, puts himself before the team with his stupid penalties and antics, is still growing into a new position, and seems a bit immature. Greg Williams will be his worst nightmare or the thing that makes him grow up. My guess is the nightmare.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think it depends on the down & distance/ opponent tendencies for who plays. Dunbar is obviously the choice for short yardage or running situations but he doesn't meet Ray Ray's potential anywhere else. I think you give Ray Ray a shot because he has been working extremely hard this offseason. If he creates penalties though, sit him on the bench for a game or two to tune his motor.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The Rams were very high on CJ Mosley he was listed behind Martin as one of the players they felt were worth moving back into round 1 for. What does this tell us? To me it says that they are a bit concerned with the LBer depth and future of the MLB position. But as the draft played out and they went more for best value with picks like Tre Mason the MLBs were remaining didn't appeal to them as future replacement for JL. So, they went with other positions. That doesn't mean that they feel Ray Ray is their future starter anywhere.

I think Ray Ray has a lot to prove before he is relied on. He is undisciplined, puts himself before the team with his stupid penalties and antics, is still growing into a new position, and seems a bit immature. Greg Williams will be his worst nightmare or the thing that makes him grow up. My guess is the nightmare.

Targeting Mosley does not mean they are concerned about the future of the MLB position. It just means they think Mosley is a terrific player that could contribute to this defense. They are high on JL, and he has plenty of years left in the tank.

Ray Ray has a lot to prove, but also that does not mean they are not high on him as well. He could transition just fine. Saying Greg Williams is his WORST nightmare and implying that he is afraid to grow up (w/e that means) is bullshit to me.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Ray Ray needs to play with more control and not take the stupid penalty this season. Until then, I think you see Dunbar as the 2 down guy. Williams is not Walton, so don't expect much to be the same as last season on D.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams were very high on CJ Mosley he was listed behind Martin as one of the players they felt were worth moving back into round 1 for. What does this tell us? To me it says that they are a bit concerned with the LBer depth and future of the MLB position.

I saw where Mosley was viewed as a potential player at #13, but not as a player the Rams felt worth trading back into the first round to obtain.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Targeting Mosley does not mean they are concerned about the future of the MLB position. It just means they think Mosley is a terrific player that could contribute to this defense. They are high on JL, and he has plenty of years left in the tank.

Ray Ray has a lot to prove, but also that does not mean they are not high on him as well. He could transition just fine. Saying Greg Williams is his WORST nightmare and implying that he is afraid to grow up (w/e that means) is bullcrap to me.

Sorry but Ray Ray plays a very undisciplined game. Williams demands accountability. There was a whole story on here by a former player that played for him, about how Williams runs his show.

And if you think there is no concern for the MLB position then tell me who takes over the defense if James Laurinitis gets injured? Ogletree? Dunbar? Ray Ray? Not many options in that group to be the field general. I believe that if Mosley had fallen to the right spot he would be the future MLB. He has sideline to sideline speed, good in coverage and is a very instinctive Linebacker and leader. That is not so easy to find these days. He would be cheaper than JL too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I saw where Mosley was viewed as a potential player at #13, but not as a player the Rams felt worth trading back into the first round to obtain.

Either way, a potential player at 13 says a lot about what they thought of him. So, if Donald was gone and Martin were gone then he would have been the pick at 13. They know they need to get insurance at LBer and Mosley is a good MLB that could start at SLB and slide over when they needed him to.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Either way, a potential player at 13 says a lot about what they thought of him. So, if Donald was gone and Martin were gone then he would have been the pick at 13. They know they need to get insurance at LBer and Mosley is a good MLB that could start at SLB and slide over when they needed him to.

True. But, I'd lean towards Mosley being a BPA choice vs. a LB concern.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like I said, who fills JLs shoes if he goes down with an injury? I don't think there is a LBer on the roster that could be the leader of the defense and play as well as he does. I think Mosley will be better than JL in time.

FRO

Legend

I heard the plan was to move Dunbar to MLB, Mosley at WLB, and Laurnaitis at SLB. As James slows down I think his future will be at SLB. His contract was structured great so when his play declines his cap number will as well. Smart move by Demoff.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Like I said, who fills JLs shoes if he goes down with an injury? I don't think there is a LBer on the roster that could be the leader of the defense and play as well as he does. I think Mosley will be better than JL in time.

Dunbar is the backup to he MLB position. One of the reasons he was brought here in the frst place, was his ability to play all 3 LB positions. He filled on for New Orleans at MLB when Vilma had his issues. he knows his system, probably better than anyone on the unit. That's why I don't understand why so many are so quick to dismiss his role on this team. Especially when it comes to thinking this very raw, undisciplined player who somehow has attained near "folk hero" status among many of the fanbase.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dunbar is the backup to he MLB position. One of the reasons he was brought here in the frst place, was his ability to play all 3 LB positions. He filled on for New Orleans at MLB when Vilma had his issues. he knows his system, probably better than anyone on the unit. That's why I don't understand why so many are so quick to dismiss his role on this team. Especially when it comes to thinking this very raw, undisciplined player who somehow has attained near "folk hero" status among many of the fanbase.

not sure Ray Ray is a "folk hero" among the fanbase, but most of us like the guys potential and believe he has a role as a linebacker, and not just a special teamer.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I really do believe that this battle is media generated to serve their own purposes.

Sure, he's a little bigger and faster, looks for the big hits, has a cute name and is a look at me guy, but Dunbar is great at shedding blocks and capable of playing all 3 LB positions in this defense.

Ray Ray isn't beating Dunbar out stopping the run, and we have some strong nickel options now, as well as competition from Michael Sam right?

If anything, I think it just got more difficult/competitive for Armstrong to get time on the field outside of ST, and I'm not so sure that's bad for his development.

RustyRay

Rookie
I didnt see much of the look at me stuff from Ray Ray..He is emotional and plays a bit wild...but I dont see him as the me first player...He played ST's and was a team leader on them...Nothing selfish about hustle on ST's...made too many mistakes but you can fix that with coaching.

I saw too many penalties on ST's some blocks in the back...but not allot of stuff after the whistle. He barely played on D last year, but he flashed ability when he did in the preseason.

He was a very highly recruited player out of high school..but he was a DB his entire career in college and then got a year off which cost him big time, there was a point where he was looked at as a potential 1st round pick...

Then comes back and gets a UDFA deal with the Rams. He had put on weight and made the position switch to LB in camp last year. He had some learning to do but there is no questioning his physical talent. I see him very similar player to Ogletree just a year or two behind in his LB development.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Everyone loves Armstrong......until he starts extending drives for the other team.....or giving them great field position after Kicks and punts. He is the Incognito of the current Rams.

CoachO. I like Dunbar but having him at MLB would be a big step down IMO. Then you have to move someone to SLB too which is another big step down. I like Jolonn but he is very limited in coverage. He is best as a straight ahead attacking LBer.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Sorry but Ray Ray plays a very undisciplined game. Williams demands accountability. There was a whole story on here by a former player that played for him, about how Williams runs his show.

And if you think there is no concern for the MLB position then tell me who takes over the defense if James Laurinitis gets injured? Ogletree? Dunbar? Ray Ray? Not many options in that group to be the field general. I believe that if Mosley had fallen to the right spot he would be the future MLB. He has sideline to sideline speed, good in coverage and is a very instinctive Linebacker and leader. That is not so easy to find these days. He would be cheaper than JL too.

Of course they are concerned about LB depth, as all of us are, but being concerned about the future, to me, implies that they are looking to replace JL soon. LBer depth across all positions is more important now than finding a guy to replace JL. Secondary help and linebacker depth to me were greater needs than DT depth, but we drafted Donald because is a superior talent. To me, targeting Mosley indicates more that they thought he would be the BPA if he dropped far enough and other circumstances didn't pan out as planned.

As for Ray Ray, yes he was undisciplined last year, but that does not mean he has not matured and not determined to rise up the depth chart. He has the opportunity to make it up the chart as a rotational guy, and be a serious contender for a spot in 2015. I didn't mean to offend you, but I think it's unfair to say that he is not looking forward to working with Williams and improving his game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didnt see much of the look at me stuff from Ray Ray..He is emotional and plays a bit wild...but I dont see him as the me first player...He played ST's and was a team leader on them...Nothing selfish about hustle on ST's...made too many mistakes but you can fix that with coaching.

I saw too many penalties on ST's some blocks in the back...but not allot of stuff after the whistle. He barely played on D last year, but he flashed ability when he did in the preseason.

He was a very highly recruited player out of high school..but he was a DB his entire career in college and then got a year off which cost him big time, there was a point where he was looked at as a potential 1st round pick...

Then comes back and gets a UDFA deal with the Rams. He had put on weight and made the position switch to LB in camp last year. He had some learning to do but there is no questioning his physical talent. I see him very similar player to Ogletree just a year or two behind in his LB development.

I would imagine by your comments that you don't have the opportunity to watch many games live. If you had been to any of the home games, you would notice the "look at me" stuff I am referring to. It got to the point where he couldn't cover a kick, without jumping around and chest bumping anyone even close to him. ....and this was whether he made the play or not.

The second he got to the sideline, the helmet comes off and he is playing to the crowd. For covering a kick!!!! That, to me, is the very definition of a "look at me" kind of player, and until he matures, he just doesn't seem to be the type of player I want on the field in a critical situation.

I realize this is my personal preference, but I compare this sort of behavior to the guy who stands up and thumps his chest for making a tackle 25 yards downfield when his team is losing by 20 points. Just always tried to teach my kids to "act like you've done it before, and that you will do it again".

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Everyone loves Armstrong......until he starts extending drives for the other team.....or giving them great field position after Kicks and punts. He is the Incognito of the current Rams.

CoachO. I like Dunbar but having him at MLB would be a big step down IMO. Then you have to move someone to SLB too which is another big step down. I like Jolonn but he is very limited in coverage. He is best as a straight ahead attacking LBer.

I agree with you regarding him playing MLB being a step back. But when you consider the alternative, it could be worse. I also think they take into consideration Laurinaitis' history of not missing snaps, much less games. And this sort of versatility, while not ideal allows them to keep an extra DB for example that can greatly improve the depth there, for example.