Ray-Ray Armstrong vs. Jo-Lonn Dunbar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Position Battles: Outside Linebacker- Ray-Ray Armstrong Jo-Lonn Dunbar
By EddieP@iAmEddieP_ on Jun 1 2014

20131215_kkt_bs8_578.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports

Jo-Lonn Dunbar has the upper hand at one of the starting outside linebacker spots. A fall off in Dunbar's play, however, leaves doubts. Can second-year linebacker Ray-Ray-Armstrong make a push for the starting job?

Out with the old, in with the new. This seems to be the NFL's modus operendi; once a player gets too old or his services become replaceable, a younger player is there to take the reigns.

For the St. Louis Rams, this might be occurring within the linebacker ranks.

The Incumbent
Jo-Lonn Dunbar (6-foot, 226 lbs) is the Rams' third linebacker. Out of the three starting linebackers – James Laurinaitis (1,077 snaps) and Alec Ogletree (1,055) being the other two – Dunbar played the least amount of snaps (425 snaps) in 2013. That is more than a 60-percent drop-off in playing time. Obviously, Dunbar's time was affected by his four-game suspension at the beginning of the season. However, the main reason for his lack of PT is him coming off the field in pass situations in favor of a third cornerback.

After his 4-game delay, Dunbar did not regain his 2012 form. In 2013, Jo-Lonn amassed a total of 39 combined tackles (solo and assisted), zero sacks, zero interceptions, and zero forced fumbles. That is an enormous drop-off from his 2012 stat line: 115 tackles, 4.5 sacks-two interceptions, two forced fumbles. It’s safe to say Dunbar's regression was due to factors that go beyond his suspension and playing time.

The Replacement

Waiting in the wings is 2013 undrafted free agent Ray-Ray Armstrong (6-3, 234 lbs).

While Armstrong did not play much on defense – only 21 defensive snaps – he did make a name for himself on special teams. He led the team with 12 special teams tackles and had a fumble recovery to his name. That’s not much of a stat-line, but Ray-Ray surely has displayed play-making ability, relentless pursuit, and a knack for headbustin' hits.

Conclusion
Dunbar will be 29 at the start of the season, and his better years in the league are likely behind him. He's only had two good seasons to begin with – 2011 (79 tackles, one sack, two forced fumbles) and 2012. Before that, he has been pretty pedestrian.

Ray-Ray has youth, athleticism, and tenacity on his side. He's a ruthless player, just like Jo-Lonn. At this point, his only deficiencies are penalties and his inexperience. Those are the only things keeping him from supplanting Dunbar.

Dunbar signed a two-year, $2.05 million deal this offseason. The Rams can easily move on after this season if Dunbar is unable to return to form. His deal also makes it possible for him to stay on as veteran depth.

Whether as a starter or not, Armstrong will be seeing substantially more snaps on defense this season. The team let veteran Will Witherspoon walk this offseason. The only other option at linebacker is fellow special teams ace, Daren Bates.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bates and Armstrong... lol

You gotta love those two, "knuckleheads." They're gitty just being on the field. They love it so much much that they can't stop after the whistle.

Remember Bates's summersalt into the end zone against Houston? He broke his neck and still woulda been screaming for joy.

I really hope they prove themselves. Sounds like Armatrong has a fine opportunity.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I hope Dunbar is in camp and ready to play without distraction. Linebacker is our thinnest position the starting three are solid and maybe less of a question mark than DB and OL, the 2 positions we addressed heavily since the end of last season. Behind the staring 3 LB's are a lot of question marks, the above mentioned Ray Ray, a fan favorite did not look ready for anything other than ST and emergencies. I hope Ray ray really steps up this year in camp, I too like the kid but have to be objective and I don't see him as a starter yet.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think this "author" lacks a real understanding of what role Dunbar (or any 3rd LB) on this team actually is. He acknowledges that his snap count was greatly impacted by sub-packages, and not being on the field, but then he makes the leap to assume that Dunbar's production slipped because of it.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar was and is a big part of what Williams will do with this defense moving forward. And to try to force a "pro-Armstrong" agenda by sighting nothing but speculation is a stretch IMO.

There is absolutely no evidence, especially in this article to suggest that 1) Dunbar has regressed, or 2) that Armstrong is anywhere close to being a force at LB.

The other thing the author neglected to state, was Armstrong's leading the team in Special Team penalties. But I guess, its all about the big hits, and the "look at me" type player being noticed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dunbar's knows Williams and his scheme so I look for Dunbar to win the starting job, however, they will begin the transition and sprinkle in some Ray-Ray for spice. There are other LB's too some UDRFA's I like Tavarius Wilson for example, however, they will add a veteran to this mix, but IMO the Dunbar/Williams connection will not propel Armstrong this season just yet.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dunbar & Gregg Williams this re-marriage :love:is for-real fireworks are already in place. Don't get to close you'll loose your eardrums and you will get some on you!:party:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Dunbar only weighs 226? I know he was small and short, but that's tiny. Might as well have T.J. McDonald or Mo Alexander play OLB. Can't be that much smaller.

Guess I didn't realize how small he was because he plays bigger than his size.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dunbar only weighs 226? I know he was small and short, but that's tiny. Might as well have T.J. McDonald or Mo Alexander play OLB. Can't be that much smaller.

Guess I didn't realize how small he was because he plays bigger than his size.

Keep in mind this position will not be on the field that much, it's a two down at best postion. You'll see plenty of nickel and Joyner about as much as you will with three LB's on the field because Laurinatis and Ogletree won't be coming off the field on passing downs.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I LOVE ray ray...think he is going to be a stud in this league one day. Diamond in the rough

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Keep in mind this position will not be on the field that much, it's a two down at best postion. You'll see plenty of nickel and Joyner about as much as you will with three LB's on the field because Laurinatis and Ogletree won't be coming off the field on passing downs.

You just may see a return of the old big Nickle with 3 safeties on the field with two corners with Joyner & Alexander inside somewhere in the Nickle.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Armstrong a lot. He does have a lot of potential, and he's like the Energizer Bunny out there. He runs around, knocks people out, and cranks the volume and energy up.

Bates is another linebacker that I really like. He won me over with his tenacity last year. Two other linebackers to watch out for are Philip Steward (2013 UDFA out of Houston) and Tavarius Wilson (2014 UDFA out of North Alabama). I'm willing to bet that both of them make the team. We'd have a youthful linebacking core with Laurinaitis as the veteran...but we'd be fast and furious on special teams. Add in Sam (and possibly Ethan Westbrooks) and the cornerbacks and safeties, and we've got ourselves a ton of depth and talent on defense of which the likes have never been seen on this team before.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wonder if Armstrong is going to have the ability/speed to not only play the position effectively, but also handle his assignments in Williams defense.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I wonder if Armstrong is going to have the ability/speed to not only play the position effectively, but also handle his assignments in Williams defense.

I was wondering the same thing. Being a former Safety, you'd hope he's not as likely to be a coverage liablilty, but we'll see...

And he (and others) have to STOP the bonehead, after-the-whistle plays

jjab360

Legend
I think this "author" lacks a real understanding of what role Dunbar (or any 3rd LB) on this team actually is. He acknowledges that his snap count was greatly impacted by sub-packages, and not being on the field, but then he makes the leap to assume that Dunbar's production slipped because of it.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar was and is a big part of what Williams will do with this defense moving forward. And to try to force a "pro-Armstrong" agenda by sighting nothing but speculation is a stretch IMO.

There is absolutely no evidence, especially in this article to suggest that 1) Dunbar has regressed, or 2) that Armstrong is anywhere close to being a force at LB.

The other thing the author neglected to state, was Armstrong's leading the team in Special Team penalties. But I guess, its all about the big hits, and the "look at me" type player being noticed.
Dunbar definitely regressed last year, don't be ridiculous. He didn't make nearly as many plays in the backfield, and was exposed quite a bit in pass coverage.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Dunbar definitely regressed last year, don't be ridiculous. He didn't make nearly as many plays in the backfield, and was exposed quite a bit in pass coverage.

Of course he didn't make as many plays. His snaps were dramatically diminished because of the drafting of Tree. In 2012 JL and Dunbar were the 1 and 2 LBs with McIntosh as the 3rd only playing in base packages. Well that's what happened in 2013 to Dunbar, JL and Tree were the 1 and 2 LBs and he became the 3. Anyone who understands today's NFL knows how frequently the nickel back is used. In fact the NB is used more than the 2nd OLB in the 4-3.

So of course JD didn't make as many plays, but I wouldn't say he regressed. He's great at what he is a solid run stuffing LB who makes TFLs and blitzes well. He'll be most useful vs NFC west teams like SF and SEA who run often, when we use plenty of base sets

jjab360

Legend
Of course he didn't make as many plays. His snaps were dramatically diminished because of the drafting of Tree. In 2012 JL and Dunbar were the 1 and 2 LBs with McIntosh as the 3rd only playing in base packages. Well that's what happened in 2013 to Dunbar, JL and Tree were the 1 and 2 LBs and he became the 3. Anyone who understands today's NFL knows how frequently the nickel back is used. In fact the NB is used more than the 2nd OLB in the 4-3.

So of course JD didn't make as many plays, but I wouldn't say he regressed. He's great at what he is a solid run stuffing LB who makes TFLs and blitzes well. He'll be most useful vs NFC west teams like SF and SEA who run often, when we use plenty of base sets
I know that Dunbar saw half the snaps, so of course he didn't make the same amount of plays as 2012. But the rate of plays to snaps is still way off. You say Dunbar is still great at making TFLs and blitzing, but he only had 4 stuffs and 0 sacks last year in 425 snaps compared to 13 stuffs and 4.5 sacks in 1088 snaps the year before. He also allowed every single pass thrown in his direction to be completed so he didn't have any PDs or Ints compared to 4 and 2 the year before.

His pursuit speed and pass coverage skills were never that great, but were magnified last year when he wasn't making plays behind the LOS. He got exposed quite a bit and I'm surprised nobody else seemed to notice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couple things...

First, Armstrong has all the ability you want, he's faster and bigger than Dunbar, but the question with him is his instincts and ability to consistently beat blocks to make plays. Dunbar is very good at beating or getting around blocks. Not sure Armstrong will prove stout in that way which is going to be a requirement for him to push for a starting job in this defense.

Second, the fact that the Rams didn't draft a LB probably does mean something. It may mean they were more concerned about the secondary, or that they are going to do a lot more nickel than we expect, but it also may be a vote of sorts for their LB depth.

Williams is going to make a big difference with this defense. There is going to be a safety in the box a lot, they're gonna stop the run and they're gonna do the job on opposing TEs for the most part. Offenses are going to struggle against this defense. I think the LB depth isn't perfect, but it's good enough, personally.

FRO

Legend
I like Dunbar a lot. In 2012 I thought he played at a probowl level. Then the suspension stuff and different scheme and position stuff came and he struggled. I like his toughness and tenacity.

I think the Rams are really high on Ray Ray. He has plus physical tools. If they are able to coach and mold this guy, I see no reason why he can't have a role in this offense. He loves to hit and he can run. Let's just hope he doesn't mind fighting through blocks and staying in position rather than run around blocks and freelance.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The biggest thing for Dunbar is that he can play all 3 LB positions in GW/JF defense. That was a key reason why JF brought him in when GW was the DC the first time, before his suspension. He is at the very least veteran depth for any of the 3 spots. Regardless of who wins the starting position I believe there will be packages for Ray Ray.