Ray Lewis: We only know who Tom Brady is because of the tuck rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
That's like saying the Bert Emmanuel non catch is the only reason we've heard of Kurt Warner.

Sorry Ray, I knew who Brady was going into that game. The Patriots were the most unlikely playoff team that year, I was rooting for them...up until the Tuck Rule gave them a W I didn't think they deserved. Doesn't matter though.

I saw another Ram fan describe the Patriots as the "anti-Rams". I couldn't agree more. Where the Rams position themselves with premium draft picks or hot coordinators, they can't ever seem to get out of their own way. They're lost in the woods.

That organization, day and night turns over every rock to find the slightest competitive advantage. And yes, that has led them down some dark paths in the past.

But to them, losing is unacceptable. It's not luck. It's not a fluke. They've broken NFL rules, but all their success can't be attributed to that alone. They're relentless, never resting on their own laurels. And perpetually ahead of the NFL curve.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Sorry Ray, I knew who Brady was going into that game. The Patriots were the most unlikely playoff team that year, I was rooting for them...up until the Tuck Rule gave them a W I didn't think they deserved.
And I disagree. Without the tuck rule, the Patriots were done. Brady was the QB who fumbled away their chance to tie the game. Away goes the confidence, the certainty that led to 2 other SB victories. Those 10 straight playoff victories ... gone.

Ironically, that would also include our hate for all things Patriots ... gone.

reggae

And I disagree. Without the tuck rule, the Patriots were done. Brady was the QB who fumbled away their chance to tie the game. Away goes the confidence, the certainty that led to 2 other SB victories. Those 10 straight playoff victories ... gone.

There you go. Without the Tuck rule Brady is Romo at best.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What always gets lost in this game was the clutch performance by Adam Vinatieri. He tied the game in a 46 yard FG into the snow driven wind with a inch or so of snow on the field. I remember not even being able to see the ball on TV because of the snow (or booze).

one of the more clutch FG I have ever seen.

And one of the dumbest attempts to ice the kicker. The Raiders called a timeout before his fg attempt. All it did was give the Patriots another 30 secs to move the snow from where the ball was going to be placed. So stupid on the Raiders part. You have to make decisions according to conditions on the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think what I hear most of us saying is; "portable video recorders are the only reason we know who Tom Brady is".

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Also remeber that there was serious QB controversy for the Pats at the time. Bledsoe had been hurt and Brady replaced him, Brady was doing good not great but the team was winning so he stuck with Brady. They lose that game to a fumble by Brady and maybe he is the one that moves on instead of Bledsoe. Would Brady have had that sucess with the Bills? Besides while Brady was considered "clutch" he was a QB powerhouse until many years later - his first year over 4000yrds was 2005 (4 yrs later) and he doesn't throw for over 30 TD until his statistical blow up year 2007.

It is reasonable to believe that if the playoffs that year had gone different that Brady would have been traded (likely to a weaker team) and would not have been considered a great QB since he likely would not have won nearly as much.

tempests

Hall of Fame
And I disagree. Without the tuck rule, the Patriots were done. Brady was the QB who fumbled away their chance to tie the game. Away goes the confidence, the certainty that led to 2 other SB victories. Those 10 straight playoff victories ... gone..

Winning one SB doesn't guarantee you anything beyond that. If anyone should understand that, it's Ram fans.

They haven't stayed in contention this long because of one snowy playoff game long ago.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
That's like saying the Bert Emmanuel non catch is the only reason we've heard of Kurt Warner.

Sorry Ray, I knew who Brady was going into that game. The Patriots were the most unlikely playoff team that year, I was rooting for them...up until the Tuck Rule gave them a W I didn't think they deserved. Doesn't matter though.

I saw another Ram fan describe the Patriots as the "anti-Rams". I couldn't agree more. Where the Rams position themselves with premium draft picks or hot coordinators, they can't ever seem to get out of their own way. They're lost in the woods.

That organization, day and night turns over every rock to find the slightest competitive advantage. And yes, that has led them down some dark paths in the past.

But to them, losing is unacceptable. It's not luck. It's not a fluke. They've broken NFL rules, but all their success can't be attributed to that alone. They're relentless, never resting on their own laurels. And perpetually ahead of the NFL curve.
since when do we allow cheatriot fans in here?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Winning one SB doesn't guarantee you anything beyond that. If anyone should understand that, it's Ram fans.

They haven't stayed in contention this long because of one snowy playoff game long ago.
you're under the illusion that its due to talent and coaching, and what an illusion that is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What always gets lost in this game was the clutch performance by Adam Vinatieri. He tied the game in a 46 yard FG into the snow driven wind with a inch or so of snow on the field. I remember not even being able to see the ball on TV because of the snow (or booze).

one of the more clutch FG I have ever seen.

He won all three SB games for the Patriots.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

You're missing my premise. Without the tuck rule, Brady's just another young QB who lost his first playoff game. Just like Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers and several others who's names escape me. Doubt is a terrible thing for a young QB.

And so is the lack of confidence from his HC.
Also remeber that there was serious QB controversy for the Pats at the time. Bledsoe had been hurt and Brady replaced him, Brady was doing good not great but the team was winning so he stuck with Brady. They lose that game to a fumble by Brady and maybe he is the one that moves on instead of Bledsoe. Would Brady have had that sucess with the Bills? Besides while Brady was considered "clutch" he was a QB powerhouse until many years later - his first year over 4000yrds was 2005 (4 yrs later) and he doesn't throw for over 30 TD until his statistical blow up year 2007.

It is reasonable to believe that if the playoffs that year had gone different that Brady would have been traded (likely to a weaker team) and would not have been considered a great QB since he likely would not have won nearly as much.
Bledsoe finished out AFCCG against the Steelers. I don't think Brady would have been traded, but they might have gone back to Bledsoe, keeping Brady around as the backup. And you know what they say, when you have 2 QBs, you have none.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I told the story before....
many years ago I was talking with a friend about that SB, as we talked he talked about how dominating Brady was...I just stared at him for a minute then asked him what the hell he was talking about. He said that he recalled Brady "moving the ball at will" and that he showed poise throughout the game. I told him he was buying into the Brady hype machine and that Brady had a horrible game. Well we went back and forth on it and finally I forced him to pull up the game stats. He was stunned Brady was under 100 yards before the final drive (and only ended with 134). There is the hype machine around Brady that he was always the prolific QB. The fact is the the Pats won those 3 SB on Defense (and cheating). It wasn't until the many years later that Brady became an Offensive power.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
That play changed a lot of things. If NE loses, then we play either Oakland or Pittsburgh in that Super Bowl. No video-taping of our walk-through... NE wouldn't have been getting away with mugging our receivers.... and we probably win our 2nd Super Bowl. Amazing how one play could have changed all that.