Ray Lewis says Super Bowl blackout was no accident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thordaddy said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:
I honestly don't believe it was on purpose. But it was a huge shift in the game and allowed the whiners back into it
The stadium's on a grid, obviously, so my question is ... did anything else in the immediate area lose power? If not, then it's stadium related. And yes, it could have been something as minor as a mainline disconnect failing or a transformer blowing. And I don't think there's a backup generator big enough to power that stadium either.

We had a blackout in my home town that was caused by a cat getting across the lines ahead of a transformer and blowing fuses back up the line.

The whole problem with electricity is at least transmission lines have to be above ground cuz that sort of voltage generates heat and it has to disipate or your conductors have to be behemoth size.

Secondary lines can be burried but when you consider the load that stadium
but ion the end it was a relay malfunction

Power outage[edit source | editbeta]

Emergency lights provided some illumination during the power outage.
Play was interrupted for 34 minutes because of a 22-minute partial power outage. Emergency generators provided backup lighting. The fire department (NOFD) rescued people from elevator seven, but other elevators were brought to the ground uneventfully. Attendees used double the usual amount of data for their cell phones. AT&T reported 78 gigabytes downloaded from 8 to 9 PM, about double from the peak the year before. NFL chief security officer Jeffrey Miller attributed fans' calmness to their preoccupation with their electronics.[97][98][99]
SMG, the Superdome's management company, recently upgraded electrical systems at the facility. In an October 15, 2012 memo, Louisiana officials expressed concern that the equipment bringing electricity into the stadium from utility company Entergy had a "chance of failure". Authorities subsequently spent nearly $1 million on upgrades to the stadium, more than half of that paid to Allstar Electric to upgrade electrical feeder cables.[100]
Entergy and SMG both said the problem was in interconnection equipment, and SMG has hired a third party to investigate. Investigations honed in on a newly installed switchgear. Entergy installed a pair of relays made by Rogers Park's S&C Electric Company of Rogers Park, Chicago to ensure continued power supply in case one supply line failed. One of those relays tripped. Subsequent tests showed one of the relays functioned properly and the other did not. S&C Electric Co. claims the relay's trip setting was too low, but Entergy claims that the two were set identically.[101][102][103]
Electricity usage during the game was on par with a regular Saints game. The halftime show was powered by a generator that did not impact the stadium's power

Ray Lewis can't spell electricity ,he's a total goof and probably has concussion issues.
But he can prattle and some people will listen, his pre game PED use and obfuscation about the families of the slain boys in Atlanta pleading with him to tell the story ,talking about what God uses people for yada yada, on the list of people I'd ask about what happened there ,he comes in two positions ahead of OJ Simpson ,whose between them ? Johnny Cocoran

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14[/youtube]

Edit: nevermind......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
FWIW, even a slight tear in your tin foil skull cap will make it totally unreliable.

Just saying.
Yeah pretty much

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say, if there is 1 city in the U.S. that is in bad shape in regards to electrical grids, it's got to be New Orleans. I've been there and it's a beautiful city, almost like our own little slice of Europe in the U.S.. That being said, it's by far one of the poorest areas in the nation. The lights going off there is like a car with 4 bald tires getting a flat, it's going to happen. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who lives there, I really loved our week on vacation there back around 2003. But post Katrina, there was so much to fix, I think they had to rush and get the city up and running as quickly as possible and instead of replacing massive amounts of damaged infrastructure, they repaired items on an "as needed" basis. God Bless the NFL for having the SB in Nawlins as they could sure use the economic boost from such an event, but don't be surprised when Vicki Lawrence is singing "The Night The Lights Went Out In Nawlins" at half time. :boing:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamsSince1969 said:
I have to say, if there is 1 city in the U.S. that is in bad shape in regards to electrical grids, it's got to be New Orleans. I've been there and it's a beautiful city, almost like our own little slice of Europe in the U.S.. That being said, it's by far one of the poorest areas in the nation. The lights going off there is like a car with 4 bald tires getting a flat, it's going to happen. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who lives there, I really loved our week on vacation there back around 2003. But post Katrina, there was so much to fix, I think they had to rush and get the city up and running as quickly as possible and instead of replacing massive amounts of damaged infrastructure, they repaired items on an "as needed" basis. God Bless the NFL for having the SB in Nawlins as they could sure use the economic boost from such an event, but don't be surprised when Vicki Lawrence is singing "The Night The Lights Went Out In Nawlins" at half time. :boing:
Except it wasn't a grid deal it was a relay , the grid was up it was just the Dome that went down

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just did a search for the report and found it at...
<a class="postlink" href="http://entergy-neworleans.com/content/superbowl/130202_Report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://entergy-neworleans.com/content/s ... Report.pdf</a>

Conclusion:

Based on this engineer’s training, education, experience, and available evidence, in
the context of the investigation that was performed, this engineer has developed the following conclusions to a reasonable degree of engineering certainty:

1. The cause of the power outage was a misoperation of the relay.

2. A contributing factor to the misoperation of the relay was the unstable operating condition of the relay around the setpoint of the subject relay due to a design defect.

3. A contributing factor of the outage was the inappropriate current trip level setting of the relay, which was the factory default value.

4. A contributing factor to the inappropriate setting was inadequate communication between the manufacturer and the utility.

So, who was responsible for maintaining the appropriate settings of the relay? I think that really becomes the primary question if one wants to pursue the conspiracy angle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Design defect would be the key words, I guess.

tonyl711

Starter
really doubt that it was intentional, however if Ray wants to talk conspiracy there is this murder thing that happened at a super bowl that he might know about.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tonyl711 said:
really doubt that it was intentional, however if Ray wants to talk conspiracy there is this murder thing that happened at a super bowl that he might know about.

:lmao:

Yep. Now we know where his paranoia is from... :sly:

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
albefree69 said:
FWIW, even a slight tear in your tin foil skull cap will make it totally unreliable.

Just saying.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378070100.387992.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378070100.387992.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 149

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
biggame1190 said:
I would not put it past the powers that be. Thats all I will say.
Yes.

If others are going to buy into the notion that SB36 was cheated away in favor of the Cheatriots, then I don't see how anyone else here can be so dismissive of Ray's comments. The only difference I see is in how the deed was done.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Stranger said:
biggame1190 said:
Yes.

If others are going to buy into the notion that SB36 was cheated away in favor of the Cheatriots, then I don't see how anyone else here can be so dismissive of Ray's comments. The only difference I see is in how the deed was done.

Well Stran jay my friend ,allow me to illuminate some of the differences.

First and foremost IF the "powers that be" were going to go to THAT extent,it stands to reason the 49r's would have won the game.

More? in the SB you conjure there were multiple instances of the Pats skirting the rules and the refs. letting them get away with it . Stopping the action , a single act where it actually suddenly put thousands of people into panic mode delayed the game is counter to all the smooth seamless production the league spends millions to cultivate.

Most importantly,I doubt most of those who even say that SB36 was fixed are completely sold on the idea even though they say so . From my perspective on it :
I have coached wrestling for several years,wrestled in college and know it's real,I can't watch professional wrestling because I know it's fake. IF I was even 51% sure the NFL was fixed,I wouldn't watch and certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to actually root for a team,what would be the point? I believe the games are real ,that belief in the integrity of the competition is a complete necessity for me to give a shit.

On an aside, coincidence is the only thing Ray has to hang his hat on here and he's a douche for saying those things ,so HE wants to go into the Hall of Fame of the National Faked League ? Seriously ?
Ray is a kook and his theories like his speeches wander all over the place and make very little sense if you parse them at all.

I know you are suspicious of some of the leagues actions and rightly so ,in the words of a great philosopher "just cuz yer paranoid ,don't mean nobody iz after ya". Some of your suspicions are very well founded ,this one? Not so much.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Stranger speculating:
EastRam said:
I posted a link to the experts report, as well as his conclusions, in this thread. The problem was the value that the relay was set at, with design issues being a contributing factor. So human intervention was certainly a factor.

Having calibrated relays and all the associated electronic and electrical equipment at several power stations in my past life, I can fairly confidently say that the possibility of it being due to human intervention is minimal to nonexistent. I'm not going to go into the boring details but the problem almost had to be due to a design flaw or a defective component. Also, it's not really possible to design a system that will fail if a certain team is losing to another team. :lmao: The actual relay in question would not be accessible during the actual operation of the system except by trained experts and even then the relay setpoint is not adjustable in the field while the system is powered up.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Stranger speculating:
EastRam said:
I posted a link to the experts report, as well as his conclusions, in this thread. The problem was the value that the relay was set at, with design issues being a contributing factor. So human intervention was certainly a factor.

Having calibrated relays and all the associated electronic and electrical equipment at several power stations in my past life, I can fairly confidently say that the possibility of it being due to human intervention is minimal to nonexistent. I'm not going to go into the boring details but the problem almost had to be due to a design flaw or a defective component. Also, it's not really possible to design a system that will fail if a certain team is losing to another team. :lmao: The actual relay in question would not be accessible during the actual operation of the system except by trained experts and even then the relay setpoint is not adjustable in the field while powered up.

Yeah any manual adjustment setting would likely be "locked in place" with a Loctite type of product to prevent it vibrating out of calibration , so there would be evidence of it being tampered with as well..

Once again Ray is a douche for saying this sort of thing and is really too stupid to realize that IN DOING so he diminishes all of his own accomplishments by the implication that outcomes/victories/championships aren't legitimate.
I had no respect for him before ,I have less every time he opens his mouth,he's half way to negative infinity now :tooth:

BTW bruddah I edited this post to say, dis yo thread an IMA gi' u da las' word, aight?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
Stranger said:
biggame1190 said:
Yes.

Well Stran jay my friend ,allow me to illuminate some of the differences.

First and foremost IF the "powers that be" were going to go to THAT extent,it stands to reason the 49r's would have won the game.

More? in the SB you conjure there were multiple instances of the Pats skirting the rules and the refs. letting them get away with it . Stopping the action , a single act where it actually suddenly put thousands of people into panic mode delayed the game is counter to all the smooth seamless production the league spends millions to cultivate.

Most importantly,I doubt most of those who even say that SB36 was fixed are completely sold on the idea even though they say so . From my perspective on it :
I have coached wrestling for several years,wrestled in college and know it's real,I can't watch professional wrestling because I know it's fake. IF I was even 51% sure the NFL was fixed,I wouldn't watch and certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to actually root for a team,what would be the point? I believe the games are real ,that belief in the integrity of the competition is a complete necessity for me to give a shit.

On an aside, coincidence is the only thing Ray has to hang his hat on here and he's a douche for saying those things ,so HE wants to go into the Hall of Fame of the National Faked League ? Seriously ?
Ray is a kook and his theories like his speeches wander all over the place and make very little sense if you parse them at all.

I know you are suspicious of some of the leagues actions and rightly so ,in the words of a great philosopher "just cuz yer paranoid ,don't mean nobody iz after ya". Some of your suspicions are very well founded ,this one? Not so much.
In the case of SB36, I think the NFL wanted a team called the Patriots to win during a 911 shortened season, especially given that Raider tuck game earlier in the playoffs. Here, however, I think the goal was to simply try and keep the game close, to keep advertisers, Vegas and the fans happy.

Ram_of_Old said:
Ray Lewis is a murder and a thug.....end of statement.
I agree with this.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Bear with me ... I'm treading into lunatic fringe territory.

In the movie, Ocean's 11, Don Cheadle's character, Basher, was originally going to knock the power out through a known flaw in the system.

As someone on the opposite side of this argument once said, the NFL would certainly have their people working closely with the stadium people. To make sure everything was arranged to their satisfaction.

The NFL knew that New Orleans wasn't exactly on top of everything within their substructure. Ergo, if they intended to do anything to affect the game, that would be the prime area to interfere.

And what was their intent?
Here, however, I think the goal was to simply try and keep the game close, to keep advertisers, Vegas and the fans happy.
The NFL already had their scenario, Harbaugh against Harbaugh. They didn't care who won.

So, at halftime, they consider options. If the niners were in trouble, they'd try to give them time to regroup. They were extremely fortunate it didn't become a major fiasco.