Ray Lewis says Super Bowl blackout was no accident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If you know me, then you know that I totally agree with Ray on this one. It's just the NFL being the NFL... lots of smoke and mirrors behind the scenes and a totally awesome marketing-media machine to smooth everything over.

Ray Lewis says Super Bowl blackout was no accident

By Kevin Patra
Around the League writer
Published: Sept. 1, 2013 at 09:56 a.m.
Updated: Sept. 1, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237174/article/ray-lewis-says-super-bowl-blackout-was-no-accident" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... o-accident</a>

Ray Lewis will go down as one of the greatest linebackers in NFL history and almost certainly a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It turns out he also is a noted conspiracy theorist.

During an interview for NFL Films' "America's Game" series on the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl XLVII victory (airing Monday at 9 p.m ET on NFL Network) Lewis let on that he didn't think the infamous power outage was all an accident.

"I'm not gonna accuse nobody of nothing - because I don't know facts," Lewis said according to USA Today's Nate Davis. "But you're a zillion-dollar company, and your lights go out? No. (Laughs) No way.

"Now listen, if you grew up like I grew up - and you grew up in a household like I grew up - then sometimes your lights might go out, because times get hard. I understand that. But you cannot tell me somebody wasn't sitting there and when they say, 'The Ravens (are) about to blow them out. Man, we better do something.' ... That's a huge shift in any game, in all seriousness. And as you see how huge it was because it let them right back in the game."

Following the outage the San Francisco 49ers nearly erased a 28-6 deficit, coming up just short on the final drive.

It's easier for Lewis to prod at the power outage while wearing his second championship ring, but there is no question the more than 30-minute delay -- ultimately determined to be a faulty electrical delay device -- derailed the Ravens' momentum.

In a show of humor (we assume) 49ers CEO Jed York responded on Twitter to a story about Lewis' theory:

"There is no conspiracy," York wrote. "I pulled the plug."

Catch "America's Game" Monday at 9 p.m. ET only on NFL Network

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah Ray also thinks the Clearwater Horizon leak was a plan to drive the price of clams up, their CEO had bought a billion dollars worth of futures dontcha know.

America's electric grid is overtaxed and we just keep building windmills that won't pay for themselves ,OH, and in areas with little to no demand :omg:

Ray is a kook , certifiable .

iced

Thordaddy said:
Yeah Ray also thinks the Clearwater Horizon leak was a plan to drive the price of clams up, their CEO had bought a billion dollars worth of futures dontcha know.

America's electric grid is overtaxed and we just keep building windmills that won't pay for themselves ,OH, and in areas with little to no demand :omg:

Ray is a kook , certifiable .

I'm with Ray...

in how many years has the superbowl had some kind of maintenance issue? Not to mention it's the biggest event of the year...

yea...not buyin it..

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah people make a ton of coin on conspiracy theories some are still making a living off the Kennedy assassination. Sad part is something minor triggered the lights going out and it just takes a while for them to regenerate. However, because the 49ers came back some believe it was done on purpose which it wasn't.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He is so annoying. Whining about losing to the Steelers. Whining after winning the Super Bowl.

Worst. Super Bowl. Ever.

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

iced

den-the-coach said:
Yeah people make a ton of coin on conspiracy theories some are still making a living off the Kennedy assassination. Sad part is something minor triggered the lights going out and it just takes a while for them to regenerate. However, because the 49ers came back some believe it was done on purpose which it wasn't.

Granted I've never done work on stadiums, but when I was in I was a construction electrician...and i'm curious to know what "minor" thing that went "overlooked" for the the biggest event of the year...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I honestly don't believe it was on purpose. But it was a huge shift in the game and allowed the whiners back into it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
I honestly don't believe it was on purpose. But it was a huge shift in the game and allowed the whiners back into it
The stadium's on a grid, obviously, so my question is ... did anything else in the immediate area lose power? If not, then it's stadium related. And yes, it could have been something as minor as a mainline disconnect failing or a transformer blowing. And I don't think there's a backup generator big enough to power that stadium either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not buying the conspiracy thing either.

It sucks that it could have effected the outcome of the game. I'm glad it didn't.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
den-the-coach said:

Granted I've never done work on stadiums, but when I was in I was a construction electrician...and i'm curious to know what "minor" thing that went "overlooked" for the the biggest event of the year...
Certainly there has been a review and a report.... I wonder if that's available to the public.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

It sucks that it could have effected the outcome of the game. I'm glad it didn't.
I don't see why it would affect the game though. Both teams rested, and if the Ravens "lost" some motivation or momentum because of that, then what does that say about the team/coach?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't see why it would affect the game though. Both teams rested, and if the Ravens "lost" some motivation or momentum because of that, then what does that say about the team/coach?

Off all sports; football is about momentum.

In most games it shifts a time or two... sometimes as a result of halftime.

The power outage was an unnatural break to the flow of the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

Sure, I understand that. Even back when I was a 10 year old in little league, "Rally! .... Rally! ... Rally!" was the normal (voice cracking) battle cry you'd hear from the dugouts. All I'm saying is, both teams had the same advantage/disadvantage during that break in the action. It's up to the coaches to utilize that time to get their teams amped, or keep them amped. No team of mine would lay down after being interrupted. At minimum, they'd come back with the same intensity ... only this time more rested for the next onslaught.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
X said:
brokeu91 said:
The stadium's on a grid, obviously, so my question is ... did anything else in the immediate area lose power? If not, then it's stadium related. And yes, it could have been something as minor as a mainline disconnect failing or a transformer blowing. And I don't think there's a backup generator big enough to power that stadium either.

I'm getting in a little over my head here, but I would imagine that the Dome has to be on it's own substation with the current it draws? Meaning not sure if power would go out anywhere else. I would also imagine it has it's own conditioning system. I could be wrong. Just speculating and discussing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dagonet said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:

I'm getting in a little over my head here, but I would imagine that the Dome has to be on it's own substation with the current it draws? Meaning not sure if power would go out anywhere else. I would also imagine it has it's own conditioning system. I could be wrong. Just speculating and discussing.
I thought of that too, but I don't know the answer to that. It could be on its own grid. And if it is, then losing that grid would be perfectly understandable. But I thought I remember them saying on the air that they had crews working *in* the stadium to restore the lights. So ... I dunno.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

Sure, I understand that. Even back when I was a 10 year old in little league, "Rally! .... Rally! ... Rally!" was the normal (voice cracking) battle cry you'd hear from the dugouts. All I'm saying is, both teams had the same advantage/disadvantage during that break in the action. It's up to the coaches to utilize that time to get their teams amped, or keep them amped. No team of mine would lay down after being interrupted. At minimum, they'd come back with the same intensity ... only this time more rested for the next onslaught.

It's more natural to regroup better when you are behind when given extra time than to keep up your momentum when you are ahead.

When you are on a roll the last thing you want is for someone to stop the ball from rolling. And that's what happened when the lights went out.

I have no idea if it was accidental or not, but it's clear to me that the blackout was a big advantage for the NIners. Thankfully, the Ravens still prevailed. I hate when the game is artificially influenced.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
brokeu91 said:

We had a blackout in my home town that was caused by a cat getting across the lines ahead of a transformer and blowing fuses back up the line.

The whole problem with electricity is at least transmission lines have to be above ground cuz that sort of voltage generates heat and it has to disipate or your conductors have to be behemoth size.

Secondary lines can be burried but when you consider the load that stadium
but ion the end it was a relay malfunction

Power outage[edit source | editbeta]

Emergency lights provided some illumination during the power outage.
Play was interrupted for 34 minutes because of a 22-minute partial power outage. Emergency generators provided backup lighting. The fire department (NOFD) rescued people from elevator seven, but other elevators were brought to the ground uneventfully. Attendees used double the usual amount of data for their cell phones. AT&T reported 78 gigabytes downloaded from 8 to 9 PM, about double from the peak the year before. NFL chief security officer Jeffrey Miller attributed fans' calmness to their preoccupation with their electronics.[97][98][99]
SMG, the Superdome's management company, recently upgraded electrical systems at the facility. In an October 15, 2012 memo, Louisiana officials expressed concern that the equipment bringing electricity into the stadium from utility company Entergy had a "chance of failure". Authorities subsequently spent nearly $1 million on upgrades to the stadium, more than half of that paid to Allstar Electric to upgrade electrical feeder cables.[100]
Entergy and SMG both said the problem was in interconnection equipment, and SMG has hired a third party to investigate. Investigations honed in on a newly installed switchgear. Entergy installed a pair of relays made by Rogers Park's S&C Electric Company of Rogers Park, Chicago to ensure continued power supply in case one supply line failed. One of those relays tripped. Subsequent tests showed one of the relays functioned properly and the other did not. S&C Electric Co. claims the relay's trip setting was too low, but Entergy claims that the two were set identically.[101][102][103]
Electricity usage during the game was on par with a regular Saints game. The halftime show was powered by a generator that did not impact the stadium's power

Ray Lewis can't spell electricity ,he's a total goof and probably has concussion issues.
But he can prattle and some people will listen, his pre game PED use and obfuscation about the families of the slain boys in Atlanta pleading with him to tell the story ,talking about what God uses people for yada yada, on the list of people I'd ask about what happened there ,he comes in two positions ahead of OJ Simpson ,whose between them ? Johnny Cocoran

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14[/youtube]

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
max said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's more natural to regroup better when you are behind when given extra time than to keep up your momentum when you are ahead.

When you are on a roll the last thing you want is for someone to stop the ball from rolling. And that's what happened when the lights went out.

I have no idea if it was accidental or not, but it's clear to me that the blackout was a big advantage for the NIners. Thankfully, the Ravens still prevailed. I hate when the game is artificially influenced.
+1

I remember a few years back during the ALCS (baseball), the Indians had a 3-1 lead in games on the Red Sox and the next game was at home. But that was when the playoffs inserted screwy days off. That day off allowed the Red Sox to regroup and win that series.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

come on, dude! Don't you remember when you would go on fire in NBA Jam?? that shit was over powered. The Ravens were on fire but it got wasted on the sidelines.
cY0WiM8.jpg
PXYXlXr.jpg

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FWIW, even a slight tear in your tin foil skull cap will make it totally unreliable.

Just saying.