Rating the NFL draft prospects: Running backs/McGinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Running backs
By Bob McGinn

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ects-running-backs-b99486145z1-301335901.html

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top running backs in the draft this week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

RUNNING BACKS

1. TODD GURLEY, Georgia (6-0 ½, 225, 4.48, 1): Third-year junior from Tarboro, N.C. "You start comparing him to Bo (Jackson) and Herschel (Walker) and Adrian (Peterson), that's when you know you're dealing with a special player," said one scout. "Physically, this dude can do everything. He's my favorite player in the draft. He's a football all-day guy." Scored 44 TDs, second in Bulldogs' history to Walker's 52. "Gurley's different than Marshawn (Lynch)," a veteran scout said. "More explosive than Eddie George. Fred Taylor wasn't as explosive, either. Probably better than Steven Jackson. I don't think he's better than Bo Jackson." Rushed 510 times for 3,285 yards (6.4-yard average, 36 TDs) and caught 65 passes. Suffered a torn ACL Nov. 15 and underwent surgery 10 days later. "I'd worry about him lasting," a fourth scout said. "He's like Adrian and (Walter) Payton, very violent and aggressive as a runner. I'm not sure he's as dynamic as those guys. He could be." Scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. MELVIN GORDON, Wisconsin (6-0 ½, 215, 4.46, 1): Fourth-year junior from Kenosha Bradford. "He's really good," one scout said. "He's got really good vision and feet and burst and acceleration. He doesn't have the top-end elite speed, and he's going to need work in the pass game." Compared most often to Jamaal Charles (5-11, 199, 4.40), the Chiefs' third-round pick in 2008. "But Jamaal catches the ball out of the backfield really well," another scout said. "That's not a part of his game (Gordon) is developed in. Even a year ago they were replacing him on third downs with James White. He's got solid speed, not special. He's an outside runner that will have to run inside in the NFL, and that's going to be a challenge. I don't think he's a complete back." Finished with 631 carries for 4,915 (7.8, 45 TDs) and 22 receptions. Fumbled 12 times. "He doesn't have any holes," a third scout said. "His speed is fast enough. His pass pro is good enough. Great kid." Wonderlic of 20. "Is he going to be Todd Gurley or Earl Campbell?" a fourth scout said. "No, no way. But there's a lot to go on with that guy. There's a role for that guy. That's what everybody's playing. You're playing roles."

3. AMEER ABDULLAH, Nebraska (5-8 ½, 203, 4.52, 2): Compared by two personnel men to Giovani Bernard. Has the exact size and speed as the Bengals' second-round pick in 2013. "They ended up drafting Jeremy Hill last year because they wanted a guy to run really hard between the tackles," one scout said. "Bernard's really tough in a spread offense on screens, draws and receiver stuff in space. Abdullah will be the same thing. He runs excellent routes, has great ball skills and instincts. He's fumbled the ball too much (24) but some weren't his fault. His game translates well to the zone scheme in the NFL." Led RBs in vertical jump (42 inches), broad jump (10-10) and reps on the bench press (24). "I think he has more of a chance than Gordon," a second scout said. "He's like LeSean McCoy. He can break you down and make you miss. He can beat a linebacker one on one. He needs more work in pass pro." Finished with 813 carries for 4,588 (5.6, 39 TDs) and 73 receptions. Team MVP last two years. "I'm not sold on him," said a third scout. "Little. Not a good blocker." From Homewood, Ala.

4. T.J. YELDON, Alabama (6-1, 220, 4.54, 2): Third-year junior. "If the Cowboys are looking for a replication of DeMarco Murray then they should take him in the second or third round," one scout said. Stood out as a freshman, splitting carries with Eddie Lacy as the Crimson Tide won the national title. "I thought he was a hell of a runner, especially on the perimeter," another scout said. "On screens he's got great stop and start. He'll overmatch some DBs with his strength." Finished with 576 carries for 3,322 (5.8, 37 TDs) and 46 receptions. "He was not their best back (in 2014)," a third scout said. "Derrick Henry, the sophomore, was. He's not as good as Lacy, but he's better than (Mark) Ingram. Yeldon is really strong and has excellent balance, and he has really good hands. But they always catch him." From Daphne, Ala.

5. TEVIN COLEMAN, Indiana (5-11 ½, 207, 4.39, 2): Third-year junior. "He's explosive as heck," one scout said. "More of a straight-line guy. Every time he touches the ball it's a potential touchdown. Not a quick, nifty runner." Followed RBs Anthony Thompson and Vaughn Dunbar as the Hoosiers' third consensus All-American. "Little bit of a crease runner," said another scout. "Not a lot of movement. But you run a zone stretch with him, he'll plant it and get downhill." Finished with 452 carries for 3,219 (7.1, 28 TDs) and 54 receptions. Just back from a turf toe injury that concerns teams. Several personnel men said he is one of several draft-eligible players detected with the sickle cell trait. "He's the only one in a long time that can outrun pursuit angles," another scout said. "That's how fast he is. But he's not a creative back. I don't think he's a good natural runner inside. Doesn't run with a lot of power." From Tinley Park, Ill (Oak Forest High).

6. DUKE JOHNSON, Miami (5-9, 205, 4.51, 2-3): Third-year junior from Miami (Norland High). "Kind of a poor man's Shady (LeSean) McCoy," one scout said. "He's got a little power for his size. Good out of the backfield. Elusive, runs aggressive. He's just small." Finished with 381 carries for 2,599 (6.8, 20 TDs) and 65 receptions. "He's short but productive as hell," a second scout said. "He's stumpy. He's a block. Frank Gore wasn't 5-9. Good feet and balance and hands." Missed 2013 with a broken ankle. "Reliable north-south runner," a third scout said. "Lots of yards after the catch. Good stiff arm. Quick start. But he's short, non-explosive and a non-pass blocker."

7. JAY AJAYI, Boise State (6-0, 223, 4.56, 2-3): Several executives said they either have removed him from consideration or backed way off because of how their medical staff evaluated his knee (ACL surgery, 2011). "I just don't know if he'll hold up physically," one scout said. "He's had a lot of carries." Last season, he became the first player in FBS annals to surpass 1,800 yards rushing and 500 receiving. Finished with 678 carries for 3,796 (5.6, 50 TDs) and 73 receptions. "Big back with very good speed," another scout said. "Very physical." Fourth-year junior from Plano Texas. His Wonderlic score of 24 was second highest of top 25 RBs behind the 35 of South Dakota State's Zach Zenner. "He's fast and can catch," a third scout said. "But when there was contact it was over. His legs went dead. He didn't pass block. I like a little more grit."

8. BUCK ALLEN, Southern California (6-0 ½, 220, 4.52, 2-3): Fourth-year junior from Tallahassee, Fla. "He's a little bit like Dorsey Levens, how he runs," said one scout, referring to Levens' high knee action. "He can catch, he's got size and he's got speed. He could grow into being a starter." Reminded another scout of Marcus Allen, another former Trojan. "Because he runs, he catches and he blocks," he said. "He runs those wheel routes out of the backfield, and he can catch at all levels. Aggressive north-south runner. He didn't get the attention he should have. They played three different backs and he alternated. He ran and worked out well." Finished with 417 carries for 2,306 (5.5, 25 TDs) and 63 receptions. Wonderlic of 12. "He's really a finesse guy for a big guy," a third scout said. "I wish there would be more surge when he hits stuff."

9. JEREMY LANGFORD, Michigan State (5-11 ½, 209, 4.41, 2-3): Redshirted in 2010, played CB in 2011 and was a WR the next spring before moving back to RB for good that August. Exploded in 2013-'14. "I like him over Coleman because he makes NFL runs," one scout said. "He has to pick and show vision and contact balance. When you spread out all over the damn field and they pitch you the ball and you pick a running lane (like Indiana), that's a little different. He's not Le'Veon Bell. He's a step below. I don't think he's your front-liner but he does everything well." Finished with 577 carries for 2,967 (5.1, 40 TDs) and 39 receptions. "The speed surprised me," another scout said. "He wants to bounce (outside) all the time. He's a cutback guy. High pad level (pass blocking) and gets pushed." From Wayne, Mich.

10. DAVID COBB, Minnesota (5-11, 229, 4.75, 3): Carried merely 11 times in 2011-'12 before claiming the starting job in mid-2013 when Rodrick Williams got hurt. "He came to life the last two years," one scout said. "Where the hell was he before that? He's like Shonn Green and the guy who plays for the Lions (Joique Bell). He's a complementary back." Finished with 562 carries for 2,893 (51, 20 TDs) and 34 receptions. "He's Alfred Morris," another scout said. "He's slow, runs 4.7. But he's got size, great feet, vision and he breaks tackles. He makes people miss. He just doesn't have breakaway speed." From Killeen, Texas.

11. DAVID JOHNSON, Northern Iowa (6-0 ½, 223, 4.46, 3): "Like him in the third round," one scout said. "He's got great hands. Big, imposing guy." Will become Panthers' first running back to be drafted in 49 years. "I don't know about him," said another scout. "He's not a good runner. For his size he should be bowling people over, and he doesn't. Here's a guy that can run fast. Absolutely fantastic kid. But he was a wide receiver when he got there, and that's how he plays. He plays running back like a wide receiver. I really wanted to like him because I'm big on character guys and guys that practice hard." Finished with 866 carries for 4,682 yards (5.4, 49 TDs) and a whopping 141 receptions. Had 203 receiving yards Aug. 30 against Iowa. "Wouldn't be a bad all-around back," a second scout said. "He's not quite there instinctively but he's got a chance." From Clinton, Iowa.

12. CAMERON ARTIS-PAYNE, Auburn (5-9 ½, 212, 4.48, 3-4): Draft status affected by age. Will be a 25-year-old rookie after staying home first two years after high school. "He's like Ahmad Bradshaw," one scout said. "He catches the (expletive) out of the ball. Like him." Played two years in junior college, backed up for Tigers in 2013 and replaced departed Tre Mason last season when he led the SEC in rushing. "Man, he is a good player," another scout said. "Good vision, good toughness and his 40 was really good." Finished with 394 carries for 2,218 (5.6, 19 TDs) but only 14 receptions. From Harrisburg, Pa.

OTHERS: Karlos Williams, Florida State; Mike Davis, South Carolina; Matt Jones, Florida; John Crockett, North Dakota State; Malcolm Brown, Texas; Zach Zenner, South Dakota State; Terrence Magee, Louisiana State; Thomas Rawls, Central Michigan; Josh Robinson, Mississippi State; Braylon Heard, Kentucky.

FULLBACKS

1. JALSTON FOWLER, Alabama (5-11, 252, 4.86, 5-6): Five-year player from Mobile, Ala; gained extra year after suffering a torn ACL in Game 2 of 2012. "Inconsistent," one scout said. "He'll handle a guy one play and the next play he won't. It wouldn't shock me if he got into the league and turned into a hammer. Alabama tried to do too much with him as far as catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't think he developed the mentality to be a guy to go and blast people all the time. He can do it. He's a compliant enough kid. He's got all the traits to be that guy." Finished with 112 carries for 738 (6.6, five TDs) and 19 receptions. One scout said he was similar to but not quite as physical as former Packers FB Quinn Johnson.

2. TYLER VARGA, Yale (5-10 ½, 222, 4.68, 5-6): Born in Sweden to highly athletic parents. Grew up in Canada (Kitchener, Ontario), where he excelled in a myriad of sports and learned to speak three languages. "Just a rare type of kid," one scout said. "Physical specimen. Built well enough to be a fullback in the league." Played well in the Senior Bowl (two TDs) and worked out well at pro day. "He's definitely willing as a blocker," another scout said. "Kind of a man among boys in the Ivy League. Didn't get to showcase his receiving skills a ton, but he looked really good catching the ball at the workout. Very smart (Wonderlic of 28)." Finished with 529 carries for 2,985 (5.6, 31 TDs) and 38 receptions.

3. MIKE BURTON, Rutgers (5-11, 247, 4.70, 7): Walk-on. "If you're going to draft a fullback you could definitely draft him," one scout said. "He'll make it and play for a long time. He wasn't an overpowering blocker but he was willing. Got some run skills for a fullback. He's played special teams and is good at it. He can catch the ball." Finished with 22 carries for 116 (5.3) and 47 receptions. From Long Valley, N.J.

OTHERS:Connor Neighbors, Louisiana State; Aaron Ripkowski, Oklahoma; Joey Iosefa, Hawaii; Mark Weisman, Iowa.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The 3 backs in this class I really like are Gurley, David Johnson and Jeremy Langford. I could see Johnson in the 3rd or Langford in the 4th if he slips there.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gurley
"You start comparing him to Bo (Jackson) and Herschel (Walker) and Adrian (Peterson), that's when you know you're dealing with a special player," said one scout. "

There hasn't been another RB with such comparisons in years.