Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-offensive-linemen-b99486136z1-301296461.html

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top offensive linemen in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES
1. ANDRUS PEAT, Stanford (6-7, 315, 5.21, 1):Third-year junior. "He's what I call a beautiful athlete," one scout said. "So smooth. Really impressive physically. I compared him to Tyron Smith. Great pass protector. Just not that powerful at this age." Started 27 games at LT the past two seasons after rotating as a freshman in 2012. "He's got damn good feet but... the last bowl game against Maryland he looked like (expletive)," another scout said. "He's the No. 1 guy but he's never been pushed. He doesn't have any core strength. He doesn't take hard coaching." His father, Todd, was a squatty guard in the NFL for six years. Excellent prep basketball player in Chandler, Ariz. "I saw him get thrown around like a rag doll," a third scout said. "I respect what people think about the guy, but every defensive player I saw against Stanford kicked the (expletive) out of the guy. If you're asking me who was the most overrated guy I saw, it was that guy." Scored 27 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. ERECK FLOWERS, Miami (6-6½, 326, 5.34, 1):Third-year junior who prepped in Miami. "Big, rugged, physical right tackle," said one scout. "Starts right away." Made four starts at RT in 2012 and 24 at LT in 2013-'14. "Violent, physical player," another scout said. "Fundamentally, he's got to clean some things up. He ducks his head. He tries to win with all upper body. He's got to learn to play with more patience." Led O-linemen in bench-press reps with 37. "Strictly a right tackle or guard," a third scout said. "He can't play left tackle because he isn't quick. He is powerful and he does have an anchor. He's stiff, so he has problems with adjust and recovery. He carries his hands low. He needs a lot of work with his hands. Big disappointment of the (top) group."

3. D.J. HUMPHRIES, Florida (6-5, 307, 5.08, 1):Third-year junior from Union, N.C. "Probably the best athlete of the O-line group," one scout said. "He's got every tool you look for in a left tackle. He just has to grow into his body. He came in at 255 and he's 300 now. Great kid. Leader of that O-line the last two years. He does play physical. It's just some of the bigger, more stout guys are harder for him to move." Started 19 games at LT before declaring. "Smart, good family, great kid," said another scout. "Needs more bulk but he has the frame to be a 320 guy without any problems." Other teams saw his Wonderlic of 12, lowest among leading tackles, and double-backed on his ability to learn. "He's late off the ball all the time," said a third scout. "You worry about him a little bit mentally."

4. CEDRIC OGBUEHI, Texas A&M (6-5½, 304, 4.95. 1-2): Part of coach Mike Sherman's star-studded signing class of 2010 that included LT Luke Joeckel and LT Jake Matthews. "He's got great feet," one scout said. "He's better than Luke Joeckel coming out. He's soft, but he'll probably go late first (round)." Started at RG in 2012, RT in '13 and LT in '14 before suffering a torn ACL in the Liberty Bowl. "He's going to take a year, but he's athletic as hell," a second scout said. "He didn't look good at left tackle this year but looked great at right tackle the year before and great at guard the year before that. He's not Joeckel or Matthews. He doesn't have the inner fiber those two have." Longest arms (357/8 inches) at the position and a Wonderlic of 23. "His ACL was pretty common but he's had back issues his whole career there," a third scout said. "Just during games you'd see him stretching, and in practice he was always doing some maintenance on the back. There's got to be some legitimate concerns about the back." From Allen, Texas.

5. DONOVAN SMITH, Penn State (6-5½, 333, 5.10, 1-2):"I thought he was fat and messy and played lazy," one scout said. "He has had issues like that. He's got talent. It's more where you think he is as far as want-to." Redshirted in 2011 but, after obtaining his degree, opted against returning for his senior season. "He's a giant human being that can kind of do whatever he wants," another scout said. "He's got good feet and bend for a big guy. Definitely can be a left tackle. He also can play with power. He was completely dominant at the Senior Bowl. But he's selfish, is up and down in games and has weight and conditioning issues." Three-year starter at LT. "He's not a feisty, Wisconsin-type guy," said a third scout. "The new staff there does not rave about him. Maybe he doesn't have that killer instinct, but he'll play." From Owings Mills, Md. "I hope he goes in the second round because we wouldn't take him until the mid-rounds," a fourth scout said. "He's got a little bit of a work ethic issue. He's a little bit stiff on the edge. Might be able to move inside and be a little better player."

6. T.J. CLEMMINGS, Pittsburgh (6-4½, 310, 5.14, 1-2): Spent first three seasons as a reserve DE before moving to offense in December 2012 and starting at RT the past two years. "He's really powerful," one scout said. "I've got no negatives at all. He's got excellent strength, power, aggressiveness, tenacity. Good pass-block technician." Long arms (351/8). So athletic that he had offers to play basketball at Seton Hall and Providence. Hurt himself with a poor week at the Senior Bowl. Failed one team's physical because of a bad knee. Some scouts wonder about his ability to adjust quickly and master assignments. "Has the fire in him that you like," said another scout. "Needs some technique work. Great kid. His learning is good enough. He'll pick it up and work at it. But it'd be a mistake to think he could play left tackle." From Teaneck, N.J., where he played only two years of football.

7. JAKE FISHER, Oregon (6-6, 307, 5.02, 2): Started at RT for two years before a teammate's injury precipitated his shift to LT in 2014. Several scouts say he lacks strength against bull rushes. "He does need to get thicker but some of that is technique and Oregon is not a big weightlifting program," one said. "He's really a hard guy to (evaluate). You watch the workout and he's really a good athlete, but he doesn't play to it. Kid plays hard. Obviously, he's got athletic ability." Out of Traverse City, Mich. "I compared him to Matt Stinchcomb," another scout said. "He had no base, either, but same type of athlete. He's a pusher, a position blocker. He's got no strength or power in his lower body."

8. COREY ROBINSON, South Carolina (6-6 ½, 321, 5.30, 2-3): Compared by one scout to Chargers LT King Dunlap. "He's a monster," said one scout. "Some people like big. Buffalo goes big. He's not a great foot athlete but I don't know if you have to be when you're a monster." Compared by another scout to Bills RT Seantrel Henderson. "He didn't play hard, and his technique's crappy," a fourth scout said. "You wonder about his intelligence but then he aced the Wonderlic (40). He's just all over the place." Moved from DT to LT, where he started three seasons. "I was there," said a fifth scout. "They're all glad he's leaving... said he's hard to coach, he's lazy. But that (expletive) has talent. Somebody will take him late three (third round)." From Havelock, N.C.

9. TY SAMBRAILO, Colorado State (6-6, 311, 5.36, 3-4):His 42 starts included 34 at LT, five at LG, two at RT and one at RG. "(David) Bakhtiari was soft like Sambrailo, but the one thing Bakhtiari had that I underestimated was a little bit of nastiness and competitiveness," one scout said. "I don't think Sambrailo has that. That's the constant learning process you go through in scouting. As long as you have that inner competitiveness, if you have athleticism to go with it, then you can be a finesse guy." Outstanding competitive skier growing up in Watsonville, Calif. Failed to impress at the Senior Bowl. "I was disappointed in him there," another scout said. "It'll take a year to get any real production from him. He lacks some functional anchor strength."

10. TYRUS THOMPSON, Oklahoma (6-5, 324, 5.37, 4): Finesse starter at LT for 2½ years. "He plays soft," one scout said. "He has all the talent in the world but he scares the hell out of you. He's a big good athlete. Just doesn't finish blocks." His arms measured long at the combine (347/8) but his workout was a dud. "He is not as athletic as I thought based on film," another scout said. "Third round at best. Good size. Good kid." Hails from Pasadena, Texas.

OTHERS:Rob Havenstein, Wisconsin; Chaz Green, Florida; Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech; Andrew Donnal, Iowa; Trent Brown, Florida; Terry Poole, San Diego State; Jamon Brown, Louisville; Takoby Cofield, Duke; Sean Hickey, Syracuse; Austin Shepherd, Alabama.

GUARDS
1. BRANDON SCHERFF, Iowa (6-4½, 319, 5.04, 1): Compared by one scout to perennial Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson. "He's better than anyone that's come out of there (Iowa), and they've had a bunch of good guys," one scout said. "I know everyone wants to make a guard out of him, but I'd have him disprove he can't play tackle. He didn't even play healthy this year. Had his knee scoped (torn cartilage) and the guy missed one practice. You watch the year before. I like (Bryan) Bulaga but I think this guy is better. I didn't think Bulaga could play left tackle but I think this guy can." Started 36 of 43 games (all but three at LT); his 2012 season was cut short by a serious ankle injury. "Alert, aggressive, finishes, athletic," another scout said. "Anchor is just OK. He'll be really good in a zone scheme because he has a really good feel for angles. When you line up with him you know what you're going to get." Multisport prep star from Denison, Iowa. "If you want a tackle he's not your guy," a third scout said. "Then you're going to go with Peat. Scherff's going to have edge limitations like Riley Reiff. He's not an ideal foot athlete at tackle and he doesn't always finish like you want." Wonderlic of 22.

2. LA'EL COLLINS, Louisiana State (6-4½, 312, 5.14, 1): Started at LG as a sophomore before moving to LT in 2013-'14. "He's a lot like Scherff," said one scout. "Not unlike Bulaga. Little short-armed (33¼). Kind of like a Sam Baker kind of tackle with the Falcons but he could be a really good guard." Described by another scout as a "mean" player. "He could be a Pro Bowl guard, but I also think he can play tackle," a third scout said. "He's a really good run blocker. He's athletic. He's nasty." Tied with Humphries for the lowest score (12) on the Wonderlic among the top-25 offensive linemen. "I think he's smart enough to play tackle," a fourth scout said. "He's a motivated guy and I think he'll learn it." From Baton Rouge, La. "He's got good girth, he's strong, he can bend his knees and he's got play instincts," a fifth scout said. "He doesn't have ideal length to be a full-time left tackle. He only took a few reps at right tackle during Senior Bowl week and you could tell he's never played the right side. It was awkward. But when you see him in a workout and roll it all together, he's going to be a longtime starter at left guard or left tackle."

3. LAKEN TOMLINSON, Duke (6-3½, 319, 5.26, 1-2): Four-year starter at RG. "If there's a first-round guard in this draft and he's not a conversion it's Tomlinson," one scout said. "He's a plug-and-play, start-first-day right or left guard. He plays better than (Chance) Warmack. He's big, athletic, he can pull, he can block at the point, he's smart. He might be a great center, too, if you tried him there." Born in Jamaica, moved to the U.S. at 10. "He wants to be a doctor," said another scout. "Some people want to be sure he's committed to football, which I think he is. The kid loves football. Has played a ton of football. High character. Has ambitions outside football." Graduated from Chicago Lane Tech. "He looks better on the hoof than any subject in the draft other than Scherff," a third scout said. "Great kid, smart (Wonderlic of 23). But how many Duke linemen have there been? You can't name them. Plus, he gets over his toes. He's top-heavy."

4. TRE' JACKSON, Florida State (6-3½, 322, 5.50, 2): Made 42 starts at RG. "He's better than Tomlinson," said one scout. "He gets better movement. He is a quiet leader with strength and power, but he lacks the length (325/8 arms). He will struggle mentally sorting out the process." Named MVP of the South team at the Senior Bowl. "He was coached well by Rick Trickett, who is one of the best (O-line) coaches around," said a second scout. "He was a very steady player. Not special. He's a really good short setter in pass pro and he uses his hands well," From Jesup, Calif. "If he was at another school he'd be a later-round guy," a third scout said. "He wouldn't be getting near the attention he does. He's slow, and slow-footed. Then he's not real long and he can't handle the wide rush. The Rose Bowl game, he got destroyed."

5. A.J. CANN, South Carolina (6-2½, 311, 5.48, 2-3): Made 51 starts at LG. "He has mass, toughs and he's competitive," one scout said. "He's square and gets movement at the point. He'll need a little work in pass pro. He's a little bit shorter and a little bit slow-footed. He's like Larry Warford or Chance Warmack, one of those guys. But the mental part will scare you a little bit." Led guards in bench-press reps (30) and vertical jump (32½). Worked at center for scouts this spring and snapped adequately. "There's nothing special about him," a second scout said. "Not a great athlete, not an overly physical or powerful guy. Everything about him is solid." From Bamberg, S.C.

6. JEREMIAH POUTASI, Utah (6-5, 338, 5.33, 2-3): Third-year junior made the somewhat surprising decision to leave the Utes a year early. Started at RT in 2012 and at LT the past two seasons. "We have him as a guard," said one scout. "He's a starting guard. He doesn't move well enough to protect the edges (at tackle). If you like big sluggers in there, Baltimore type, he's going to play." Won't turn 21 until August. "He's more athletic than Flowers, but his workout was bad," another scout said. "He has to be a right tackle or guard. He held up OK at left tackle against the good pass rushers of the Pac-10." From Las Vegas.

7. DARYL WILLIAMS, Oklahoma (6-5, 326, 5.38, 3):Three-year starter at RT. "Big guys play," said one scout. "He's got some toughness to him. He's not a good athlete. Strictly a right tackle. He could go third round because big bodies go. His value is fourth, fifth round." Although his 35-inch arms are befitting a tackle, his feet and athleticism aren't. "You like his intangibles," another scout said. "He's tough, he's a good kid, he'll do everything you want. Just not a very good athlete." Out of Lake Dallas, Texas.

8. JARVIS HARRISON, Texas A&M (6-4, 328, 5.21, 3-4): Labeled a "knucklehead" by three scouts. "He played really well in 2013, but this year he just kind of did his own thing and it showed," one scout said. "The trainer will tell the offensive linemen when they come into the locker room to cut the tape off their shoes and put it in a specific pile. Everybody follows that to the letter, but he'll do something completely opposite. Not very highly regarded at the school. He's smart enough to know to stay out of the police blotter type of thing. Just a pain in the (expletive)." Started 37 games over four seasons at LG and LT. "They benched him for like the first four games of (2014)," another scout said. "I could never get a straight answer there. Athletically, he certainly has the ability to go third round. He's lazy." "He short-sets these guys and gets his hands on them, they're dead," a third scout said. "On film, the guy was extremely impressive." From Navasota, Texas.

9. JOHN MILLER, Louisville (6-2½, 307, 5.23, 4):Four-year starter at guard. "You like the way he plays," one scout said. "He's tough, but he's 6-2 and 300. OK athlete. He's got some quickness but he's not a great player. He struggles in protection some. Gets beaten on the edges." Improved from 7 to 14 on the Wonderlic but teams still wonder about his ability to react and adjust. "Learning is a little bit of a process," a second scout said. "Pass pro is good enough. Oh, yeah, he's a good player." From Miami.

10. JAMIL DOUGLAS, Arizona State (6-4, 306, 5.21, 4-5): Viewed as a four-position backup. "Like him as a backup dual flexibility guy," one scout. "Guard-tackle who may be a center." Started at LG in 2012-'13 and at LT in '14. "I think he'll have to go to some type of zone team," another scout said. "Project. He has really nice feet and movement but he does get pushed around." From Cypress, Calif.

OTHERS: Jon Feliciano, Miami; Josue Matias, Florida State; Mark Glowinski, West Virginia; Arie Kouandjio, Alabama; Robert Myers, Tennessee State; Matt Rotheram, Pittsburgh; Bobby Hart, Florida State; Quinton Spain, West Virginia.

CENTERS
1. CAMERON ERVING, Florida State (6-5½, 311, 5.12, 1-2): The Seminoles talked about moving him to center before the season but didn't pull the trigger until five games remained. "That line didn't block well until they moved him," one scout said. "It cleaned up so much inside. He's not a 320-pound mauling center but he gets after you. He's such a good athlete and is extremely smart. Great kid. At center, his upside is huge." Would become the NFL's tallest center. "I think he's too tall for center," a second scout said. "He's got stiff ankles and plays too small. He smothers college players, but if anyone works his edges he's not great laterally. I don't see it." Made 20 tackles and a sack as a backup DT in 2011 before moving to LT and starting 37 games. "It (height) hasn't been a problem," a third scout said. "His arms (341/8) are so long, he just locks those guys out. He just gets on the nose (tackle). Guard may be his best position. He could start at three positions." From Moultrie, Calif.

2. HRONISS GRASU, Oregon (6-3, 300, 5.03, 2-3):Four-year starter from Los Angeles. "He's smart (Wonderlic of 28) and tough," said one scout. "He's athletic. He played in that spread attack so he can fit in a zone scheme. He's not as heavy as you want him to be to deal with nose tackles all day but he has the athletic ability to compete in a zone offense." Borderline arm length (321/8). "Like him," another scout said. "He's not as strong or as big... but if I'm just going center I'm going to go Grasu." Excellent blocker at the LB level.

3. ALI MARPET, Hobart (N.Y.) (6-4, 304, 5.00, 3):Easily the best NCAA Division III prospect in the draft. "He found out what Division I football was like at the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "Thing I liked about him, he was competitive. But I don't know if he's good enough to play." Three-year starter at LT but often practiced at center in 2013-'14. Played LG and LT at Senior Bowl and might have been the best O-lineman there. "For a guy who had no technique and didn't know what he was doing, he went and more than held his own," said another scout. "I could see him in the third round, but it's all a guess." Scored 33 on the Wonderlic. Compared by one scout to C-G Joe Berger of the Vikings. "My immediate comparison was JC Tretter, and I think he's better than JC," a third scout said. "He blew up the combine. This kid has passed every test. He has a tremendous amount of upside." From Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.

4. MITCH MORSE, Missouri (6-5½, 306, 5.16, 3): Of his 40 starts, 18 were at RT, 14 at LT and eight, in 2012, came at center. "Center is a perfect position," one scout said. "He kind of grows on me. He's not a naturally big guy so he's going to get torqued a little bit. He's got a degree of toughness about him that shows in his play." Paced centers on the bench press (36 reps) and the vertical jump (31), and scored 29 on the Wonderlic. Short arms (32¼) almost force him inside. "He's my sleeper," another scout said. "This guy is one tough sucker. You talk about toughness and tenacity. You grade him and he just blocks his guy. Their left tackle last year (Justin Britt) went to Seattle and started, and there's no comparison between the two. His feet are good enough." From Austin, Texas.

5. B.J. FINNEY, Kansas State (6-3½, 315, 5.31, 5-6): Walk-on started school-record 52 games, including 51 at center. "He has some athletic limitations, but I like his wrestling background," one scout said. "Just a tough, gritty player. Centers nowadays really don't have to be special athletically." First O-lineman at K-State to be a team captain three times. From Andale, Kan.

OTHERS:Andy Gallik, Boston College; Reese Dismukes, Auburn; Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech; Chris Jasperse, Marshall; Max Garcia, Florida; Greg Mancz, Toledo; Chad Hamilton, Coastal Carolina.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rff-leads-big-crop-b99486134z1-301296701.html

Iowa's Brandon Scherff leads big crop

Green Bay
— Offensive line is regarded as one of the richest positions in this NFL draft. Seven blockers appear headed for the first round, and possibly four more will go by the 50th pick.

Strangely, there might not be an offensive lineman worthy of a top-10 pick even though 18 of them were taken that high in the last nine drafts.

Brandon Scherff, clearly the best player available, has fewer negatives than just about any player in the entire draft. He's about as safe as can be.

The problem for many teams with early picks is they view Scherff as a better NFL guard than tackle, where he started on the left side at Iowa. His modest arm length (333/8 inches) and height (6 feet 4½) are more typical of inside than outside players at the pro level.

Few teams want to draft an inside player in the top 10. The only pure guards taken that high in the last 20 years — Chris Naeole (No. 10, 1997), Chance Warmack (No. 10, '13) and Jonathan Cooper (No. 7, '13) — probably were mistakes.

"Scherff isn't dominant," said an executive in personnel for an NFC team. "He's not your typical top guy and he doesn't have the length you want at tackle. How high do you pick a guy you're projecting to guard?"

Another personnel man insisted that Scherff had enough game to be considered comparable to the first offensive lineman taken in other drafts.

"I was at Iowa pro day," the scout said, "and he's as athletic as anybody last year and as good as anybody last year. After Scherff, none of them belong with the top group from last year."

A Journal Sentinel poll of 19 personnel people this month underscored Scherff's pre-eminent position. After the scouts listed their top five offensive linemen regardless of position, five points were assigned for a first-place vote, four for second and so on.

Scherff piled up 86 points and 13 first-place votes, easily outdistancing Andrus Peat (53, three). Others with first-round credentials include La'el Collins (30, one), Cedric Ogbuehi (28, one), Cameron Erving (25), Ereck Flowers (25) and D.J. Humphries (25, one).

Also receiving votes were Donovan Smith (six), T.J. Clemmings (four), Laken Tomlinson (two) and Jake Fisher (one).

One might think the fact Scherff played for the Hawkeyes would be considered an immense plus by NFL teams.

During Kirk Ferentz' stint as offensive line coach from 1981-'89, NFL teams plucked 11 of his blockers, including three in the first round (Green Bay's Ron Hallstrom, 1982) and three in the third (Green Bay's Dave Croston, '87).

After spending six seasons as an offensive line coach in the NFL, Ferentz returned to Iowa City as head coach in 1999. In the drafts of 2000-'14, Iowa has had 13 offensive linemen selected.

Ferentz has had able offensive line coaches such as Joe Philbin (1999-'02), but year after year he spends a large amount of time working individually with offensive linemen.

"Kirk just does a great job," one veteran scout said. "They're always good technicians. They know how to kick-step, how to set, how to get their hands on people."

Because of the excellent training and tradition, however, several scouts said offensive linemen from Iowa scared them.

"Iowa has a track record most of the time of getting two- and three-star players and developing them over the course of their careers," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and an NFL general manager and personnel director for 15 years.

"They're well-coached, they train hard, they are consistent in their work ethic and approach. Because of that development, are they close to being maxed out?"

Since 2003, Iowa has had six offensive linemen taken in the top 100. The list includes guard Eric Steinbach (No. 33, 2003), center Bruce Nelson (No. 50, '03), tackle-guard Robert Gallery (No. 2, '04), tackle-guard Marshal Yanda (No. 87, '07), tackle Bryan Bulaga (No. 23, '10) and tackle Riley Reiff (No. 23, '12).

In light of those players, Savage was asked how he'd feel about selecting Scherff.

"It would give me pause if I was taking him in the top 10," replied Savage. "If I was taking him where some of those other guys went, in the second half of the first round or the top of the second, you'd feel great about it, probably.

"I don't think Scherff is an elite player. I think he's a good, solid prospect."

Another veteran scout considered Iowa's recent draft entries and said, "There's been a lot of failures out of there. Kirk's a good O-line coach so those guys end up getting coached as well as they're ever going to be.

"Then you get them to your camp and you think they're going to get better, but that's just the way they are."

In truth, those six high picks from Iowa have gotten a bum rap. It's due largely to Gallery, who after flopping at tackle became a competitive guard in an eight-year career.

Nelson was a bust, but the others all started for years. Steinbach became a top-five guard in Cincinnati but never made the Pro Bowl, something Yanda has done the last three seasons for Baltimore.

Reiff has started at left tackle two of his three seasons in Detroit and is at least adequate. Bulaga has been a good player in Green Bay when he hasn't been sidelined by injury.

Scherff, from Denison, Iowa, joins Nelson, Gallery and Yanda as products of Iowa high schools. Reiff is from South Dakota, Bulaga from suburban Chicago.

Three scouts said Scherff would be a better player than Bulaga. Although an inch shorter than Bulaga, Scherff ran a faster 40 (5.04 to 5.23), performed better vertical (32½ inches to 27½) and broad jumps (8-11 to 8-2), and had far larger hands (11 inches to 9¼).

Probably the most apt comparison would be Zack Martin, the Dallas Cowboys' right guard who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie after being drafted No. 16 last year.

Martin (6-4, 309) was a four-year starter at left tackle for Notre Dame. He took his 327/8-inch arms inside and had a tremendous year.

"Scherff's similar to Zack Martin except he's stronger," one NFC executive said. "He's a hell of an athlete. This guy is a 325-pound moose."

UNSUNG HERO
Jon Feliciano, G, Miami: Last year, a Hurricanes lineman with athletic limitations, Brandon Linder, went to Jacksonville in the third round and started 15 games at RG. Feliciano (6-4, 325), another tough guy, is almost a carbon copy of Linder. He has guard-center versatility and a go-for-the-throat mentality that should make him a mid-round pick.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE
Greg Mancz, C-G, Toledo: Four-year starter at RT, RG and center with legitimate athletic ability, good toughness and high intelligence. However, he underwent another shoulder surgery after the season and won't be able to work out before the draft. If Mancz can stay on the field, he could be a swingman for a long time.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER
Rich Moran, G, San Diego State: Third-round draft choice in 1985. Became a starter midway through his rookie season and basically held the job when he wasn't battling knee problems. Played 108 games in nine seasons, starting 82. Worked in business, as an NFL player agent and, in recent years, as a high school coach. In January, he took the offensive line coaching job at Division II Upper Iowa University.

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL personnel director: "That (low score on the Wonderlic) isn't a big deal for tackles. It's more of a big deal for guards."

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL personnel director: "That (low score on the Wonderlic) isn't a big deal for tackles. It's more of a big deal for guards."

Interesting!;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL personnel director:
"That (low score on the Wonderlic) isn't a big deal for tackles. It's more of a big deal for guards."

Well, that certainly addresses a recent argument on here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
After reading that article I really hope that the Rams end up with one of these centers, Erving, Marpet, Morse.

Those scouts really seem to be high on Clemmings.

Tomlinson seems pretty good according to them too.

But they really don't seem that high on the rest of the pack. It sounds like getting a good ORT will not be so easy. I thought Collins was the best bet for that spot but not according to that article.

Who to believe.