LEGEND Rate the Last Film You Saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Woman In Gold - 8.5 of 10

I picked this one up in the spirit of fairness to my wife by trying to get a chick flick to watch with her. It ended up being a pretty darn good watch. This is based on a true story.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
'This Is The End' with Seth Rogan, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson and a long list of celebrity cameos. Wow! What a horrible idea for a movie. One of the worst movies I've ever seen and that's saying something. Not funny, not scary, not interesting. 1/10.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILnE7dEhCcc

I actually enjoyed This is he End. I would rate it solid 7.

I don't usually care for Seth Rogan and James Franco but I enjoyed This is the End. I might just find it funny because these guys that I wouldn't consider myself a fan of are poking fun of themselves.

I definitely did not enjoy the two in Pineapple Express. That garbage about Rogan going out with a high school girl made me feel more than a little uncomfortable and dirty.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I enjoyed the heck out of Pineapple Express. Differences of opinion. Being a former stoner, it really hit home for me. :)
I couldn't get over the dating a high school girl thing. I don't get the humor in adults dating high school students regardless as to whether or not they are of age.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I couldn't get over the dating a high school girl thing. I don't get the humor in adults dating high school students regardless as to whether or not they are of age.

Yeah, that was kind of creepy. The same actress, Amber Heard, later after that movie was made, announced her lesbian status and is now married to Johnny Depp.

Seth Rogan did something even worse in 'Observe and Report' where he drugs a girl and commits date rape. What a slob.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Winter's Bone - not sure if it deserves a 7.5 or an 8. Good acting, good plot, just missing that wow factor.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
John Adams : HBO

9/10

Although I'm not sure this actually as a qualifies as a movie technically , for it's a 7 part mini-series from HBO that came out about 6 or 7 years ago

I've watched this Mini-Series a few times now and have thoroughly enjoyed it , but this time I watched it with all the little historical facts popups through out the mini-series

Of all the movies about the revolutionary war and the signing of the declaration of independence , and it's surprising just how few there are , this is by far the most accurate , it's based on a book written by David McCullough

Most people don't even know who John Adams was , or atleast forget his importance when compared to Franklin , Washington and Jefferson , but it was actually Adams that deserves most of the credit , even though he was probably the most unpopular of the bunch . John Adams was rude , obnoxious , and very blunt , ......................and honest , he always spoke his mind , if John Adams thought someone was a dumbass , he was more then happy to tell that person , that he was a dumbass

Even though a lot of people don't remember who John Adams was , I'm sure even fewer people know who Abigail Adams was , but John and Abigail are probably one of the greatest real life Love Stories of all time , a good portion of their time was spent apart as Abigail stayed in Massachusetts to take care of their farm and raise their children while John spent most of his time Pennsylvania , and it was during this time that John and Abigail wrote love letters to each other , and even though Abigail wanted John to burn her letters , which also contained stuff that would be considered treason if caught as John worked on independence

But , lucky for us , John Adams did not burn their letters , and most all of their letters still exist today , giving us much of the knowledge of what actually happened during those 50 years of Johns Adams life

So if anyone loves American History and has never seen HBO's John Adams , I highly suggest giving it a shot

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
McFarland USA - 9 of 10

This one should be required viewing for incoming 9th graders. I'm a sports movie fan and a Costner fan so I guess it was right up my alley.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
The Drop

8/10

This was an outstanding film(now playing on HBO). The plot centers around two characters: James Gandolfini as Marv, who runs a bar he once owned but who now can only claim its name because a Chechen gang owns it and uses it as "drop" bar to hide money, and Marv's cousin Bob played by Tom Hardy, a low key nice guy and Marv's actual cousin who also works at the bar.

The problems start when the bar is robbed one night. The Chechens want their money back and Marv and Bob need to find it because the Chechens do not fool around as they display by showing him one of the robbers with a spike nailed through his ankle in the back of a van.

I can't reveal much because there are some great surprises in this film. I want to say a lot more about that because it really is one of the reasons the film is so great. The other are the performances of Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini(his last role). The script is written by Dennis Lehane from a short story of his, and although he's had stories turned into films before(Mystic River, Shutter Island, etc.) it's the first time he wrote the script for one--and he nails it.

My only complaint(and it's minor) is that the film plays a little slow but it's not hard to watch because of the gripping performances. And also the little layers that are peeled back keep pulling you in.

One of the best films I've seen this year.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nightcrawler 8.2 /10 movie about stringers (people who shoot live crime/accident scenes for local news) and how the main character Jake Gyllenhaal becomes one and shows the length he is willing to go to get the story on video before anyone else can so he can sell it to local tv news teams. this was a facet of society i wasnt very aware of and really shows how far society has fallen in terms of morals and ethics.
well acted by Jake as the movie shows his rise up from nothing to becoming "President of Video Production News, a professional news-gathering service". the creepiness of Lou Bloom (Gyllenhaal) makes you want for a shower after watching this. his "employee", Rick-- (Riz Ahmed) does well as being the opposite of Lou, nervous, unsure, scared etc which makes for a good pairing during their dialogues that Lou tries to "improve" Rick so he can move up in the "company". the movie kept my attention in a "whats next" kind of way, even being 117 minutes long.
on a side note, not sure how long before drones will become a big part of this type of activity. thats disturbing enough for me.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

8/10

Just now got back from seeing it.

This was a really good summer popcorn flick. LOTS of action--pretty much non-stop, actually. Don't think about the plot too much because it's as ridiculous as you'd expect but that's fine--the film is built around action and the plot is built around that.

As is, the plot involves a shadowy organization called, "The Syndicate." The C.I.A. doesn't believe it even exists and wants to shut down the IMF whom it blames for a lot of chaos going on around the world. Ethan Hunt(Tom Cruise) is caught in the middle of all this, of course, trying to bring down the syndicate with just the help of his friends, Simon Pegg(I think his best Mission Impossible yet) Ving Rhames(doing his usual thing)Jeremy Renner(walking the tightrope between his loyalty to the IMF and the powers that be above him and newcomer Rebecca Ferguson(playing a sort of British Ethan Hunt)but is she with the good guys or bad guys? Is she playing everyone? The film keeps you guessing.

The exotic locales from Morocco to Austria are beautifully filmed and the bad guy in this one is a nerdy looking fellow named Soloman Lane--as heartless as they come and he has the usual gang of giant brawler type thugs helping him.

But the real star is of course the action sequences--and they really shine. From the amazing plane stunt to the best motorcycle chase ever filmed, there's a lot to like with the thought and effort the filmmakers put into this.

This was an enjoyable film and my only small complaint is that it may just be a tad too long. But you won't be bored.

The film was fun. This is what you want and expect from a summer film. You get your bang for the buck.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

8/10

Just now got back from seeing it.

This was a really good summer popcorn flick. LOTS of action--pretty much non-stop, actually. Don't think about the plot too much because it's as ridiculous as you'd expect but that's fine--the film is built around action and the plot is built around that.

As is, the plot involves a shadowy organization called, "The Syndicate." The C.I.A. doesn't believe it even exists and wants to shut down the IMF whom it blames for a lot of chaos going on around the world. Ethan Hunt(Tom Cruise) is caught in the middle of all this, of course, trying to bring down the syndicate with just the help of his friends, Simon Pegg(I think his best Mission Impossible yet) Ving Rhames(doing his usual thing)Jeremy Renner(walking the tightrope between his loyalty to the IMF and the powers that be above him and newcomer Rebecca Ferguson(playing a sort of British Ethan Hunt)but is she with the good guys or bad guys? Is she playing everyone? The film keeps you guessing.

The exotic locales from Morocco to Austria are beautifully filmed and the bad guy in this one is a nerdy looking fellow named Soloman Lane--as heartless as they come and he has the usual gang of giant brawler type thugs helping him.

But the real star is of course the action sequences--and they really shine. From the amazing plane stunt to the best motorcycle chase ever filmed, there's a lot to like with the thought and effort the filmmakers put into this.

This was an enjoyable film and my only small complaint is that it may just be a tad too long. But you won't be bored.

The film was fun. This is what you want and expect from a summer film. You get your bang for the buck.

Saw today as well. Really enjoyed it, and I don't watch many movies anymore.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
McFarland USA - 9 of 10

This one should be required viewing for incoming 9th graders. I'm a sports movie fan and a Costner fan so I guess it was right up my alley.
I agree 100% @Ramhusker . Either a 9 or a 9.5 out of 10 for me.
Being a former cross-country runner, really hit home and shows how grueling practices can be along with a great history lesson and excellent acting by Costner and the runners.
My old cross-country coach took his team to go see this in theaters for a learning experience as well as for a fun relaxing time.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Nightcrawler"
4/5
Liked it alot. Gyllenhaal was excellent and i liked how the intensity slowly ramped up throughout.

"Monsters: Dark Continent"
1/5
Garbage. Couldn't even finish it.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chef 7/10 decent movie about a chef (Jon Favreau)who needs to redefine his life and priorities. good supporting roles (John Leguizamo) that made all the characters interesting, however, the way too happy ending kinda killed it for me. a family movie with way too many F bombs for the family.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Vacation

5/10

The new vacation borrows a lot of stuff from the Chevy Chase version. There is the clueless father, the faithful beautiful wife, two bickering kids and a road trip to WalleyWorld. Of course--from a speech in the film Rusty(Ed Harris) tells the family that THIS "Vacation" will stand on its own.

Not quite. It's not as funny. But it does have its moments.

The highlights: Christina Applegate. She steals the film IMO. She's an experienced comedy actress who knows which buttons to push and when. She plays Rusty's wife and while there are similarities between her character and Beverly D'Angelo's original, she really does make the character her own. The highlight of the film is the family visit to her old college. We find out some of mom's secrets and then in a scene that had me laughing out loud get to watch her try to repeat her legendary Chug Run through an obstacle course. She's good throughout the film.

There are good supporting performances from Chris Hemsworth to Charlie Day(who plays a river guide who does not inspire much confidence).

The car this time around is an Albanian model and while some jokes are hits with it others are miss.

The lowlights: Ed Helms. He does his best to play the Chevy Chase role but even Chevy Chase fails at that these days. No one did "clueless" better than the young Chevy Chase. It's not Helm's cup of tea. I find him to be a very limited comedic actor and he didn't add much although he's clearly trying very hard. I think the role was just miscast. I would have rather seen Will Ferrell in this role(had Will turned down the horrible "Get Hard" film he was in).

The two brothers are particularly annoying and really add nothing. The writing for them seems forced and only one scene(Ed Helms explaining what a "rim job" is to the older son)makes their appearance at all worthwhile.

The film melts too far into sentimental sappiness and loses all momentum toward the end.

Overall, wait for video or it to appear on HBO. Worth a look there--but don't pay theater prices for it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Vacation

5/10

The new vacation borrows a lot of stuff from the Chevy Chase version. There is the clueless father, the faithful beautiful wife, two bickering kids and a road trip to WalleyWorld. Of course--from a speech in the film Rusty(Ed Harris) tells the family that THIS "Vacation" will stand on its own.

Not quite. It's not as funny. But it does have its moments.

The highlights: Christina Applegate. She steals the film IMO. She's an experienced comedy actress who knows which buttons to push and when. She plays Rusty's wife and while there are similarities between her character and Beverly D'Angelo's original, she really does make the character her own. The highlight of the film is the family visit to her old college. We find out some of mom's secrets and then in a scene that had me laughing out loud get to watch her try to repeat her legendary Chug Run through an obstacle course. She's good throughout the film.

There are good supporting performances from Chris Hemsworth to Charlie Day(who plays a river guide who does not inspire much confidence).

The car this time around is an Albanian model and while some jokes are hits with it others are miss.

The lowlights: Ed Helms. He does his best to play the Chevy Chase role but even Chevy Chase fails at that these days. No one did "clueless" better than the young Chevy Chase. It's not Helm's cup of tea. I find him to be a very limited comedic actor and he didn't add much although he's clearly trying very hard. I think the role was just miscast. I would have rather seen Will Ferrell in this role(had Will turned down the horrible "Get Hard" film he was in).

The two brothers are particularly annoying and really add nothing. The writing for them seems forced and only one scene(Ed Helms explaining what a "rim job" is to the older son)makes their appearance at all worthwhile.

The film melts too far into sentimental sappiness and loses all momentum toward the end.

Overall, wait for video or it to appear on HBO. Worth a look there--but don't pay theater prices for it.
I loved the original Vacation....on of my all time favorites. I still work it quoted from Vacation and Fletch almost every day.
I agree with your take on this film. I love me some Christina Applegate and she is good in this movie.
The movie seemed to really rely on cursing a lot. The original had none (even the new MI movie had zero cursing). In comedy, it can be used well or it can be a crutch. It was clearly a crutch in this movie I think. The cute little kid saying the F word....ok, by the 5th time it was tired.
Anyway, pretty accurate take on it I think.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Gift.
Pretty good. Good to see Jason Bateman do something besides comedy and he is good.
The movie is being pushed as having a big twist....it is solid for sure although easy enough to figure out. In fairness I think I probably figured it out because the ads I saw kept saying "big twist alert" basically.
Rebecca Hall is very good as Batemans wife who is sure she is coming unraveled.
Anyone who has had to deal with a super clingy friend or the stalker-ish new person in their life can appreciate this movie.
7.5/10.