Ranking the top overpaid veterans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if there could be a tweak to the cap that discounts dollars off the cap for any player over X years of age.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

FrankenRam

Starter

And your point is.....??? Because it didn't occur in one instance, it never occurs.(???)

FrankenRam

Starter

I don't doubt that what you say is true in some cases. I just don't think it's always the case. And I'm certainly not advocating the forcing of a team & player stick together just to make 'me' (the fan) sentimentally happy. That would totally fly in the face of FA for the player. In fact, I ended my original post on the topic with....'assuming both sides want it to occur.' I just think there are plenty of cases where they're kind of forced apart for salary cap reasons.

SJ39 might be one case. He's already stated he wants to retire a Ram. And maybe he never would have had to leave if something along this line had been an option for him & the team to explore. Yes, there is the possibility that his ego may not have let him accept a reduced role as he aged, and maybe Fish just wanted to him to leave for whatever reason, but we'll never know.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep I was thinking that Chris Long would be on the list too....but in truth you need to look at the entire package with CL too.

He is now the veteran leader of one of the most talented DL's in the NFL. His professional demeanor on & off the field & his ability to command the respect of all who play with him is invaluable. So many elements go into what teams desire & pay for in a player. Rams have so many young DL'ers here who are sure to continue to look to CL for help in many areas.

CL out of line sizable contract sure sticks out like a massive green crusty dried nasal mucus when looking at overall production on the field. Even I believe CL is now trending downward in his skills & abilities on game day. As long as CL can be productive on this team & lead that DL he will remain a Ram.
I don't think he is declining in skills. He was never the type that was overly athletic and I think that gives him an advantage of being able to play longer.. he has average 8.5 sacks per year before his injury they aren't world beater numbers but when you look at him leading the league in hits and pressures it shows he is always in the backfield now we have guys like Quinn and Donald to take some of those sacks away too..

Moostache

Rookie
Any list that has 2-time Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning rated as a lesser value than 2 franchise killing Jay Cutler is not worth wiping one's ass with...