Ranking the teams most in need to draft a QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...draft-quarterback-2017-offseason-john-clayton

This offseason, teams in need of quarterbacks took the backup approach -- because that's all that was available.

The Bears signed Tampa Bay backup Mike Glennon. The 49ers signed Bears backup Brian Hoyer. The Jets went for Browns backup Josh McCown. The Texans are going with backup Tom Savage after trading former starter Brock Osweiler. Who knows what the Browns are doing.

Next year's quarterback class will almost certainly be better. Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Drew Breesand Jimmy Garoppolo are among the unrestricted free agents. USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen are among the top college QBs who will be draft-eligible.

Still, some teams need quarterbacks right now and are expected to draft QBs later this month. Cleveland, the New York Jets, Arizona and Houston are among the teams that could pick one in the first round from a group of four QBs: Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and DeShone Kizer. Of course, teams will be trying to find the next Dak Prescott in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

Here's how I rank the 12 teams that should draft a QB, starting with Cleveland, which needs one the most:

i

1. Cleveland Browns
Round in which they should draft a QB: 1

With the Browns unable to pry Garoppolo from the Patriots, they have no choice. But they can't draft a quarterback with the first overall pick. Myles Garrett is too talented to pass up. He's one of the most freakishly talented defensive ends to come into the league.

The Browns have another pick in the first round, however, thanks to the Eagles' trade up to get Carson Wentz last year. That's where Cleveland should start thinking about its next savior. The depth chart is currently comprised of second-year players Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan, along with Osweiler, who has $16 million guaranteed to him this season but could be cut soon. There's a chance no QBs will be off the board by the No. 12 pick, which would mean the Browns will have their pick from the group. Do it, Cleveland.

i

2. Houston Texans
Round in which they should draft a QB: 2

Tony Romo's retirement put the Texans in a tough spot. Savage is their starter for now, backed up by veteran Brandon Weeden. Signing Jay Cutler could be an option down the road, but there is no sign that is the option they will follow. They don't appear to be interested in Colin Kaepernick, either.

That leaves the draft as the best option to bring in some competition for Savage. The problem is, coach Bill O'Brien might not get a QB who could help much in the first year because the Texans don't pick until No. 25 overall. They could take a developmental option such as Nathan Peterman, Brad Kaaya or Davis Webbin the second round.

i

3. Arizona Cardinals
Round in which they should draft a QB: 2

With 37-year-old Carson Palmer entering the last leg of his career, the Cardinals need to start looking for his replacement. They might shy away from taking a quarterback in the first round, with the 13th overall pick, because they have bigger needs elsewhere (though both Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have them taking a QB in their latest mock). The Cardinals need a first-round pick who can play this season to help them stay with the Seahawks in the NFC West.

This could be the last season for Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald together, and Arizona needs to find replacements for both. The second round makes sense for the Cardinals to pick a QB to compete with Drew Stanton as Palmer's backup.

i

4. Chicago Bears
Round in which they should draft a QB: 2-3

Glennon signed a three-year, $45 million deal, but the Bears could get out of the contract after one year. Chicago can look at taking a QB to develop behind him. The Bears let Hoyer and Matt Barkley go to San Francisco in free agency and cut Jay Cutler while bringing in Mark Sanchez as the backup.

Coach John Fox knows he needs to rebuild the quarterback position, and the draft can give him one option. The Bears have the No. 3 overall pick and high picks in each round. Don't expect a QB in the first round, but they could take one in the second, especially if the top-tier signal-callers fall out of the first round.

i

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are in an interesting position because this is a make-or-break season for Blake Bortles. If he struggles like he did last season, they will be scrambling for his replacement. If Tom Coughlin, Jacksonville's new vice president of football operations, sees in the draft a young quarterback with the potential to be a replacement for Bortles in 2018, this might be the year to draft one.

Jacksonville has veteran Chad Henne and 2016 sixth-round pick Brandon Allenon its roster, but it shouldn't shy away from going after a QB in the second or third rounds.

i

6. New York Jets

With McCown and two struggling young quarterbacks, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, the Jets have to think about taking another quarterback in the first three rounds. Last season, the word around the team was that the 2017 starter wasn't on the roster. So they brought in McCown, who's 37 and basically a one-year fix.

The only reason the Jets are this low is because they spent a second-round pick on Hackenberg last year and might want to give him a closer look. Still, if I were running the franchise, I'd spend another pick on a QB.

i

7. San Francisco 49ers

Remember, the 49ers are taking the patient approach to finding a franchise quarterback. They know they can wait until next year and have a chance to sign Cousins to a megadeal. They can get through the season with Hoyer and Barkley, but it isn't out of the question for them to draft a quarterback to give Kyle Shanahan someone to develop.

i

8. Washington Redskins

Figuring the difficulty of getting Cousins to sign a long-term deal, the Redskins have to start planning for a future without him. It might cost more than $25 million a year to sign him now, and the Redskins aren't expected to offer that much. Drafting a quarterback for Jay Gruden to groom makes sense. Washington has Colt McCoy and 2016 sixth-round pick Nate Sudfeld on the roster.

i

9. New Orleans Saints
Round in which they should draft a QB: 2-4

Brees can't be franchised and isn't signing an extension before free agency, so Asshole Face needs to start the search for the 38-year-old's replacement. I don't know if Chase Daniel is that guy.

Even if the Saints draft a quarterback, they could re-sign Brees to a short-term deal after the season. New Orleans used a third-round pick on Garrett Graysonin 2015, but he doesn't appear to be the answer.

i

10. Los Angeles Chargers
Round in which they should draft a QB: 2-4

Philip Rivers said he wouldn't mind if the Chargers drafted a quarterback to begin the process of replacing him. Rivers, 35, still has years left on the field, but the Chargers don't have a replacement option for when he retires. Veteran Kellen Clemens and former undrafted free agent Mike Bercovici are on the roster, but neither inspires confidence.

i

11. Pittsburgh Steelers
Round in which they should draft a QB: 3-5

Ben Roethlisberger says he is now in the year-to-year part of his career, so it wouldn't hurt for the Steelers to draft someone. Former fourth-round pick Landry Jones is OK as Roethlisberger's backup, but he isn't a starting-caliber player. If Big Ben had retired this offseason, the Steelers would have been in big trouble. Pittsburgh has two picks in the third round.

i

12. Seattle Seahawks
Round in which they should draft a QB: 3-6

The Seahawks thought they found Russell Wilson's backup when they signed undrafted Trevone Boykin last year. Boykin's recent arrest put the team in position to bring in someone to compete with him. The Seahawks are expected to sign a veteran, but if a quarterback they like falls to them, they could draft one. Seattle has three third-round pick but none in Rounds 4 or 5.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay here we go, Watson is a winner and Kizer has all the tools as to Mitch Trubisky I'm quite sure he was in my accounting class in my second year at college or a name very similar...Any way Trubisky could be the first QB off the board is I believe Cleveland will draft one with their 2nd first round selection, but I've posted previously I'm more of a fan of Kizer. Smart kid, great arm and can run those are three attributes that IMHO you can work on from there and I'm hoping Kizer does not end up in San Francisco or Arizona.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There are really not many Good QB's in this Draft! So IF 12 Teams are searching for a QB or a Back-up QB, I don't know where they are going to find them!! JMHO!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like Trubisky is hands down the best qb but it's scary that he's only played 1 season.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Blake Bortles situation in Jacksonville is over-stressed. Quarterbacks respond to their situations and Jacksonville has done a horrific job of building around Bortles. It's very difficult to produce with a garbage offensive line, zero running game, and a defense that gives up more than 25 PPG. No QB is going to have success in a one-dimensional system that has to put up 30+.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cleveland and the Jets...probably the Jags too should wait for QB's in the next draft....Jets should give Hackenberg a shot. They drafted him in the 2nd round for goodness sake...