Ranking the Star Trek Captains

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Now we're getting our controversy on.

5. Archer - Between starting out with a huge amount of bigotry towards Vulcans, and suffering from bad writing in too many episodes (notably Dear Doctor wherein Phlox developed a cure for a race suffering from disease, but at Phlox's urging he withheld the cure because evolution is apparently a sentient force now that wanted that race to die and someday there might be some Prime Directive about Non Interference or something), he just doesn't make the cut of the excellent captains.

4. Janeway - I like Janeway, especially after her characterization received a transfusion of Kirk. I was really tempted to switch her with...

3. Picard - Has had some great moments, but way too by the book for me. Also really suffered consistency issues early on.

2. Sisko - After he shaved his head, grew his goatee and Avery Brooks went back to his Man Called Hawk look, he was easily the best of the modern Star Trek captains. I heard a joke once regarding how recurring character Shran was always calling Archer "pinkskin" on Enterprise. If Shran called Sisko "brownskin", Sisko would have slapped him so hard, Weyoun would have hurt.

1. Kirk - He's a space cowboy. Guess you weren't ready for that. Kirk didn't need to constantly call Starfleet. Kirk WAS Starfleet. Generally, the ship was out of communications range anyway, so Kirk had to make the tough calls himself. There wouldn't have been a franchise without Kirk.

Also, while we're being controversial, Joel was awesome, but Mike was better.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
No way Sisko is better than Picard. I suspect you may have done this to spice up the controversy haha. I have Kirk and Picard as 1a/1b. Too hard to pick between them in my book. I mean Picard even has his own song!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sisko was the freaking bomb... and as I said, I considered ranking Janeway better than Picard too... Picard was way too much about conferences and being by the book.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
You're rating Sisko based on his looks? Psssh.

There was an episode of Voyager where some aliens were performing experiments on the crew, unbeknownst to the Voyager crew. When Janeway found out, she piloted the ship between the 2 stars of a binary, risking the ship just to get the asshole aliens off Voyager. That's badass.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
You're rating Sisko based on his looks? Psssh.

There was an episode of Voyager where some aliens were performing experiments on the crew, unbeknownst to the Voyager crew. When Janeway found out, she piloted the ship between the 2 stars of a binary, risking the ship just to get the arsehole aliens off Voyager. That's badass.

Huh?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I didn't want to get into it, because the only Star Trek series I liked (but ended up loving) was The Next Generation.

And yes Picard is the best captain
kO5aFPfRPxDdi_fguBLKJTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Going to have to hands down go down With Picard being #1 by the slightest margin over James T. Kirk. Plus Sisko doesn't have any cool songs or funny memes which adds to his legendary status in the a galaxy far far away! @Zombie Slayer you hit it right on the head!

P.s. Sisko would get owned by the Borg!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Not rating Sisko based on his looks... just saying what when he got awesome was the same time he went back to his bald, goatee look. Just like Riker got awesome when he grew his beard. (In fact, in some circles "growing the beard" is considered to be the opposite of "jumping the shark")

Also, Kirk wouldn't have spent 7 seasons and 3.9 movies pining over Beverly either. He would have made things happen.

RamzFanz

Damnit
No way Sisko is better than Picard. I suspect you may have done this to spice up the controversy haha. I have Kirk and Picard as 1a/1b. Too hard to pick between them in my book. I mean Picard even has his own song!

Sorry, Picard wore shoulder pads so Kirk wins. It's a deal breaker.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
A recent post I made on Facebook:

While the Holodeck did not officially appear until Star Trek TNG, there was an episode of the Star Trek animated series ("Practical Joker") that had one back on the TOS Enterprise (not called that of course) and, of course, it went crazy and tried to kill the crew.

Kirk's solution? He didn't throw technobabble at it. He ordered the power turned off, and when that was thwarted, Scotty and a couple of guys literally grabbed some crowbars and got the door open that way.

Kirk > Picard.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Kirk was great at thinking on his feet, hell the Kobayashi Maru is something that that stuck with me and I thought of that when facing difficult situations, but I'd still give Picard the slight edge overall.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hell Picard is part Android now... He'd kick Kirk's ass in a fight hands down! Plus his voice is way cooler!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
How about ship's doctor/medical officer?

I have Bashir narrowly ahead of McCoy for the top spot.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Now we're getting our controversy on.

5. Archer - Between starting out with a huge amount of bigotry towards Vulcans, and suffering from bad writing in too many episodes (notably Dear Doctor wherein Phlox developed a cure for a race suffering from disease, but at Phlox's urging he withheld the cure because evolution is apparently a sentient force now that wanted that race to die and someday there might be some Prime Directive about Non Interference or something), he just doesn't make the cut of the excellent captains.

4. Janeway - I like Janeway, especially after her characterization received a transfusion of Kirk. I was really tempted to switch her with...

3. Picard - Has had some great moments, but way too by the book for me. Also really suffered consistency issues early on.

2. Sisko - After he shaved his head, grew his goatee and Avery Brooks went back to his Man Called Hawk look, he was easily the best of the modern Star Trek captains. I heard a joke once regarding how recurring character Shran was always calling Archer "pinkskin" on Enterprise. If Shran called Sisko "brownskin", Sisko would have slapped him so hard, Weyoun would have hurt.

1. Kirk - He's a space cowboy. Guess you weren't ready for that. Kirk didn't need to constantly call Starfleet. Kirk WAS Starfleet. Generally, the ship was out of communications range anyway, so Kirk had to make the tough calls himself. There wouldn't have been a franchise without Kirk.

Also, while we're being controversial, Joel was awesome, but Mike was better.

Mike was better?
C'mon man.

Nelson might be the better writer, but no way he was better onscreen than Joel.