Ranking the NFL's top 25 prospects: Young players who could level up in 2021 - #18 David Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ranking the NFL's top 25 prospects: Young players who could level up in 2021​

Every year, Football Outsiders puts together a list of the NFL's best and brightest young players. Eighty percent of draft-day discussion is about first-round picks, and 10% is about the players who should have been first-round picks but instead went in the second round, particularly if they were quarterbacks.

This list is about that last 10%. It's a stab in the dark at players who may just come out of the woodwork and surprise you this year.

Methodology

This is the 15th anniversary of the list. We're still relying on the same things we always do: scouting, statistics, measurables, context, ceiling, expected role and what we hear from other sources. The goal is to bring your attention to players who are still developing in their second and third seasons, even after the draftniks have forgotten them. It's important to note that this list is not strictly about fantasy football (otherwise, there would be no offensive linemen on it) and career potential matters. It's not just a list for the 2021 season.

Here's our full criteria:

Drafted in the third round or later, or signed as an undrafted free agent

Entered the NFL between 2018 and 2020

Fewer than 500 career offensive or defensive snaps (except running backs, who are allowed just 300 offensive snaps)

Have not signed a contract extension (players who have bounced around the league looking for the right spot, however, still qualify for the list)

Age 26 or younger as of September 1, 2021

You'll see a number of references to Football Outsiders stats on our list, in particular DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average), which takes every play and compares its success to the NFL average based on situation and opponent. You can read more about DVOA and other FO stats on this page. Many of the other stats, including blown blocks and success rate in coverage, come from Sports Info Solutions and can be found in our new book, Football Outsiders Almanac 2021.

FULL LIST

18. David Long, CB, Los Angeles Rams

Long's 2020 opportunity for playing time was swallowed whole by an impressive run from Darious Williams. Not only did Williams take the third corner job, he ran away with it, getting a huge payday in the process. Long started just one game, a 28-17 loss to the Dolphins in Week 8, and allowed a three-yard touchdown to Devante Parker. Still, winning a ball from Parker in tight coverage isn't easy for anybody, and Long was not kept off the field by schlubs -- the Rams had one of the best pass defenses in the NFL last year.

On pedigree, Long came out of Michigan as a true outside corner with his most ridiculous calling card being the 6.45-second three-cone drill time at the 2019 combine. Long had three picks and 12 passes defensed in two years with the Wolverines, with Big 10 quarterbacks all but avoiding him if they could.

Troy Hill fled to the Browns in free agency, and the Rams didn't make any real stabs at replacing him beyond using a fourth-rounder on Central Arkansas corner Robert Rochell. "He's done a great job," Sean McVay said in May. "I think he's really done a nice job elevating his game at the outside location. He has been a guy with some position flex inside, but I think he's really, really done a nice job of growing. He's gotten a lot of really valuable, beneficial reps where you've seen him tangibly improve throughout the course of the offseason because the one thing that we have done full-speed is 7-on-7. He's taken to Coach Evero, Coach Cooley and Coach Morris' teaching progression, understanding concepts better and I've been really pleased with David and he's a guy we're going to count on and we're expecting him to be a big-time contributor for us." Long certainly appears to have the inside track on playing time this year.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
We sure could use this guy to step in, I’ll be honest though I’m really not expecting too much

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I do think McVay makes a great point re: the 7 on 7. At least you get an idea of what you have with the wideouts and DBs. They talked him up so hoping he raised his game. I don't think this staff does the talk up thing as much as Fish and his guys did. Seems like they only talk up the guys who deserve it, but oh wait they talked up Demby and Boom... :laugh2:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well I do think McVay makes a great point re: the 7 on 7. At least you get an idea of what you have with the wideouts and DBs. They talked him up so hoping he raised his game. I don't think this staff does the talk up thing as much as Fish and his guys did. Seems like they only talk up the guys who deserve it, but oh wait they talked up Demby and Boom... :laugh2:
I think they do as much smoke blowing as any staff. It’s counterproductive for the player to do otherwise.

TexasRam

Legend
I think Mcvay talks up all players. It's really the best approach in my book. It's not smoke blowing, its seeing the positive. Doesn't hurt when you need to cut or trade a player. Mcvay also in a straight forward way often says "We are going to keep that in the building". This is when he deals with strategy questions.

Regarding Long Jr. I would be highly surprised if the light bulb went on for him. It is what it is. But Mcvay will see the positive progress with Long to encourage the young guy. Doesn't mean Mcvay thinks he is starter material.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Long? Meh. I’ll be rooting for him to take the leap, but I’m thinking there are guys ahead of him.

Burgess: did he have too many snaps to qualify? Otherwise, he’d be my pick.

Shelton: McVay seems to have always been high on him and this is the year our OL depth will be tested.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tough crowd.

I'll call it now - Long will play better this year than Hill did last year.

Kid had more talent coming out of college. The last two years he was stuck behind Talib/Peters/Hill then Ramsey/Williams/Hill. And Hill has been a decent player for years now, so Long never should have been expected to beat anyone out above him.

And - he's coming into his third year. He was a third round pick. He's right on schedule in terms of playing time considering how deep we've been at CB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tough crowd.

I'll call it now - Long will play better this year than Hill did last year.

Kid had more talent coming out of college. The last two years he was stuck behind Talib/Peters/Hill then Ramsey/Williams/Hill. And Hill has been a decent player for years now, so Long never should have been expected to beat anyone out above him.

And - he's coming into his third year. He was a third round pick. He's right on schedule in terms of playing time considering how deep we've been at CB.
Then why couldn’t he beat out Hill?

Tano

Legend
Because Hill could tackle? And he didn't get beat deep that often to be an impediment to last year's defense. They just needed someone to keep the ball in front of him and hope they get a sack to break up the drive.

No clue other than that.

Hill was a very good tackler from what I remember.

That Green Bay game though he was terrible. And we didn't have a good rush since Donald was hurt and Floyd got double teamed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Regarding Long Jr. I would be highly surprised if the light bulb went on for him. It is what it is. But Mcvay will see the positive progress with Long to encourage the young guy. Doesn't mean Mcvay thinks he is starter material.
I agree. Not expecting much from Long either though of course I am hopeful.

Funny thing here is I never expected that much from Hill. He did a good job of addressing some of the up and down play of previous years in 2020. Goes to show the players always have the most to say about this stuff. Fortunes rise and fall every year in surprising ways in large part due to that effect with players. He got exposed vs Green Bay but I definitely appreciate what he did for us last year.

Good thing too is that we have Burgess as a possibility in the slot. And I think that if he wins the job there it might mean less moving of Ramsey there due to the improved run support Burgess provides. They'll still use Ramsey against certain guys, like Kittle for example, but run support was part of that equation IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Growth and development. Hill was a better player the last few years I'm sure - but last year was only Longs second season. And Hill played very well last year, so there was no need for him to be beat out.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I am super high on Burgess, he was starting to flash before he got hurt. Fuller & Burgess will be a top 3 Safety combo for the next few season. Book it!!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Year 3 is when the light goes on for a lot of these young guys. Would be nice if that is the case with Long. I thought Everett would break out in year 3 or 4. He teased at times but it never happened.