Ranking the NFL head coaching jobs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...obs-l-a-is-hot-buffalo-and-cleveland-are-not/

What is the NFL's best potential head coaching job?

Including any possible openings one could imagine, accounting for potential retirements or even coaching trades, how would the jobs stack up? It's an inexact science, and obviously there would be differences of opinion over which owners and general managers would be the best bosses. But after speaking to some long-time NFL execs I trust, who have no vested stake in how any of these openings would be filled, and seeing how they might rank them, one personnel man suggested we make the process a little more analytical.

So together we put together a formula to weight the overall strength of each franchise, and create a scale to account for things coaches look for in an opening (geography, ability to have or land a quarterback, current roster strength, difficulty of winning the division, etc). In some cases we could rely on existing statistics and/or metrics (cap space, pending free agents, for instance) and in others we had to apply numbers ourselves after nailing down the merits of each team. I was sworn to secrecy by my co-conspirator, who I suspect may be using a similar exercise on his own to evaluate potential candidates and/or openings in the future, but suffice to say we looked at seven categories, ranked from 1-11, with the lowest score indicating the best situation (i.e., best location of job, best owner to work for, etc).

Ultimately, I don't expect there to be 11 head coaching openings. I'd bet on roughly half that number. And in many cases, Week 17 could play a huge role in whether one or more of these an owners begins sniffing around for an upgrade. And there is a very real chance the Saints trade coach Asshole Face, which is why New Orleans is among the 11 teams. In addition, many coaches believe Bruce Arians might retire, though he has rebuffed that notion. And should the Lions lose a third straight to miss the playoffs, one would have to consider that possibility, especially after rookie GM Bob Quinn mulled replacing Jim Caldwell a year ago, and knowing that this might be his shot to land a coveted coordinator like Josh McDaniels, his former colleague in New England.

So all the hot coaching candidate need to be weighing options to determine which jobs you would want to interview for first, etc. We took a shot at conducting our own.

There were two ties, including one for first after we complied the numbers. Ultimately, outside of the Cardinals coming in tied as the "best" job, I'm not sure much really surprised us in the end. It broke down clustered as you might expect, with a group of four teams shaping up as the most attractive, the Saints kind of in the middle, and then five teams bringing up the rear not separated by many points ... except the Browns, who are dead last by a wide margin.

LAR.png
Los Angeles Rams: 26 points

Location, location, location! If you have to work 80 hours a week, at least your wife and kids can hang on the beach. The owner has to spend to win now, generally stays out of the way and there is a sense the right coach could convince Stan Kroenke of a need to have more say in personnel matters. This is a blank slate and whatever you might think of Jared Goff, his salary isn't going to cripple the team and he could be gone in two years. They have some beasts on defense, the pass rush factor is strong. They move into a football palace in two years. The metric working most against them? Of the 11 teams here, their offensive talent ranked 10th, and the QB is an unknown quantity.

ARI.png
Arizona Cardinals: 26 points

They have work to do to keep guys like Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones, and Carson Palmer appears to some to have hit the wall ... but weighed against the other options this is a prime destination. GM Steve Keim has a super strong reputation and ownership, since Bill Bidwill stepped aside in favor of his family, is now a major plus, especially when weighed against the rest of this bunch. Despite this franchise's need for a QB of the future soon, should Arians' family urge him to move on, this job came in within the top five across the board.

SD.png
San Diego Chargers: 29 points

We did this assuming the team is moving to Los Angeles, because all of my reporting since Week 1 continues to point strongly in that direction. Ownership needs to make a splash and capture a new market. Philip Riversshould have a few years left. They have amassed some intriguing individual talent. But owner Dean Spanos is married to his power structure -- so no coach is going to get the full keys to the kingdom -- which put the math on this one just behind the top two but well within range.

IND.png
Indianapolis Colts: 31 points

Andrew Luck, playing in a traditionally weak division and having a dome work in Indy's favor. The owner is a bit of a wild card, however, but if Jim Irsay ends up in the market for a new coach, then he's most likely looking for a new GM as well. So a proven coach might get to take over the building, though Irsay has resisted this idea in the past. They need to add bite on defense -- especially the pass rush -- which holds them back.

DET.png
Detroit Lions: 32 points

Matt Stafford has played like an MVP candidate, and this is storied franchise with an owner who won't meddle in a division with only one quarterback you have to fear (though it is Aaron Rodgers). Quinn had a nice first year making personnel decisions and while the roster still needs lots of work, particularly on defense, there is reason for optimism. Had this job opened up a year ago, top candidates would have been salivating, and if it opens this year the same will hold true.

NO.png
New Orleans Saints: 39 points

All the uncertainty makes this one difficult to assess. Drew Brees has one year left, owner Tom Benson is in declining health with legal wars in the past over who takes over the team, and his wife is unproven in the role. The power structure there is not the norm and they still have issues on defense, though not as many as some might think -- the defensive line has big-time potential. And The Big Easy ain't for everyone, especially those who have young kids.

JAC.png
Jacksonville Jaguars: 50 points

It's clear the front office would rather not blow out quarterback Blake Bortles, though they say they are open to it. There is no tradition of winning and owner Shahid Khan has been disinclined to alter the front office structure. Firing their coach on the team plane is the kind of thing that won't sit well with other coaches, and something we tried to quantify. The overall market's stability is a question mark, too.

NYJ.png
New York Jets: 52 points

I don't believe this job opens up, based on everything I've heard, though the recent run of blowout losses won't help Todd Bowles. When I did my own gut-reaction list before talking to others, I figured this would be middle of the pack. Owner Woody Johnson hasn't been the most stable owner, and the pressure to win right away in New York can be hinder long-term sustainability. They have a big quarterback problem, too. Still, at key positions like defensive line and receiver there is abundant talent, and the transition to youth will be underway.

BUF.png
Buffalo Bills: 53 points

Short and long-term issues, and western New York in the winter isn't exactly the place to be. The stadium is out of date and the team hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 years. Owner Terry Pegula is still getting his feet under him it seems, and most problematic, the owner seems wedded to a front office set up that has been prone to fractions and highly-questionable decisions, all of which which would top candidates significant pause. It's been an in-fighting disaster through the Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan regimes, yet ownership refuses to make sweeping changes to its decisions makers, which will likely bodes more of the same moving forward. The Bills actually were middle of the pack at QB, but that's with Tyrod Taylor running the show. And that is deceiving because the front office does not intend to pick up his option. There are people in the organization high on Cardale Jones.

SF.png
San Francisco 49ers: 53 points

Frankly, I thought this job would score much closer to the Browns. The issues at ownership are impossible to get around, outside of the brief Jim Harbaugh era they have had great difficulty luring top candidates despite a rich history. They also don't have a quarterback. They will be picking high, however, and with GM Trent Baalke almost certainly on his way out, a new coach would come in at a time when he could likely reshape the organization and command significant authority.

CLE.png
Cleveland Browns: 72 points

Have accomplished virtually nothing under owner Jimmy Haslam, and this coaching job has long been viewed as a career killer. I doubt coach Hue Jackson would lose a power struggle in the offseason, so I don't think this job opens up even at 1-15, but if it did man, good luck getting qualified people. No one has done losing and dysfunction like the Browns, and I keep waiting to see what rock bottom is. They came in dead last in five of the seven categories.

I was taken aback a bit by the disparity of points and how it basically was clustered around a couple of vales (with 7 being the best possible score and 77 the worst possible). In the end, if you have a quarterback or something close to one, you were around 30 on the scale and if you lacked a QB and a proven competent owner, you ended up around 50. Regardless, you can expect the candidates positioned well enough to call their own shots -- Josh McDaniels, Kyle Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Asshole Face, and the like -- to be manning those positions in the top half of this list if they take new jobs in 2017.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

As the Coach Carousel Spins
With six head-coach vacancies, and maybe more to come, the rumor mill is abuzz with names and scenarios, including the hottest prospect and toughest sell. Plus mail on Jimmy Garoppolo, Larry Fitzgerald and more
by Peter King

What I know, and what I’m hearing, on the coach derbies as we reach the oddest of modern football oddities: zero firings on Black Monday, and no increase in the six vacancies that we knew about Sunday:

Mike Smith is a hot name. The Jags want someone with head-coaching experience; thus the interest in Tom Coughlin, Josh McDaniels and Smith, the former Atlanta coach (lifetime record: 67-50) now working as a defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay. Interesting. There are six openings, and a couple have zero interest in Smith.

But as GMs say when an agent throws out a silly asking price in unrestricted free agency: It only takes one. In this case, it only takes one team to fall in love with a candidate to make him a head coach. Remember when Bruce Arians was bypassed by seven teams in 2013, and the eighth and last one, Arizona, fell for him? Let that be a lesson to everyone. Don’t hurry.

• David Shaw and Chris Petersen are not coming out now. No idea if Nick Saban would. Stanford and Washington needn’t be worried about the head coaches they love. But I keep wondering how many national titles it will take for Saban to think it might be time to look around, particularly at age 65.

What happens if Jim Irsay does more than wonder why his team just won eight games with Andrew Luck at quarterback, and why so many of those eight were fights to the death against the Jacksonvilles of the league? Indy is not Tuscaloosa, but it might be small enough to appeal to Saban and his wife. The Colts’ quarterback certainly would. I’ll always think that’s the thing Saban looks back on with regret—not stretching to sign Drew Brees, coming off shoulder surgery, in Miami in 2006.

• The stars are not coming out this year. Wrote it Monday. Still true today. “I’m not sold on anybody. This could be a long process,” one coach-search man said Tuesday night.

• Hot names: Smith, defensive coordinators Vance Joseph (Miami), Teryl Austin (Detroit), Matt Patricia (New England), Sean McDermott (Carolina); offensive coordinators Sean McVay (Washington), Josh McDaniels (New England), Kyle Shanahan (Atlanta); special teams coordinator Dave Toub (Kansas City), and interim coach Anthony Lynn of the Bills.

• Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy?

That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

• I still think there might be an opening or two to come. Obviously, watch for change in New Orleans, but only if there’s a team out there willing to pay Asshole Face $9 million a year and willing to give a second-day draft choice to the Saints. I found it interesting that Payton told WWL radio that “absolutely” the Saints were the only team he’s interested in coaching next year. That is not what I have heard, but it takes two to dance. …

Houston and Bill O’Brien—you wouldn’t think there was a chance that would change. And it probably will not. But I keep hearing things are not great between O’Brien and GM Rick Smith, so stay tuned to the first post-playoff-loss day in Houston. …

Strange to hear nothing from Indianapolis, which could mean that all’s well but also could mean owner Jim Irsay is asking himself, How’d we go 8-8 last year with Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley and Charlie Whitehurst playing quarterback, and no better this year?

Too early, really, to be near the end of the line on any of these jobs. I think the rumor mill will work overtime this month, because so many teams are looking at so many coaches. So settle in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had to laugh when Riddick was talking up the 9ers job on ESPN, while everyone knew he was on their interview list. This stuff is so subjective it ain't funny.

I'll say this: 5 years for Fisher with no winning season. THAT is patience. Put that on top of the location plus one of the league's most wealthy owners who is willing to pony up the bucks for your staff. Add that Stan wants a Belichick type who will be the centerpiece of the franchise. Those other jobs aren't close IMO.

Shanahan is the one to watch. If he gets locked up quick by Denver I'll admit I'm wrong, but I think the Rams have their choice of all of them PROVIDED they don't drag their feet. Get the interviews done, choose your guy, and lock him up.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for you all, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, but why would some of the coaches mentioned not want to leave a college team for an NFL team? Surely they'd want a crack at it? Is it money reasons?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question for you all, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, but why would some of the coaches mentioned not want to leave a college team for an NFL team? Surely they'd want a crack at it? Is it money reasons?

Good question.

My guess; it's leadership style. Some leaders relate better to impressionable youth who crave teaching... others relate better to grown men who "have arrived" but still need to be lead.

Two very different approaches to motivate and win buy in.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Given Denver's defense and how well Elway has done as a GM. I think they edge us out for the most attractive head coaching spot but we're not far behind...I think Shanahan Jr and Sr get the band back together and end up in DEN with Jr as the HC and Sr as the OC under Elway. Makes too much sense...

KOWALSKI

Rookie
I had to laugh when Riddick was talking up the 9ers job on ESPN, while everyone knew he was on their interview list. This stuff is so subjective it ain't funny.

I'll say this: 5 years for Fisher with no winning season. THAT is patience. Put that on top of the location plus one of the league's most wealthy owners who is willing to pony up the bucks for your staff. Add that Stan wants a Belichick type who will be the centerpiece of the franchise. Those other jobs aren't close IMO.

Shanahan is the one to watch. If he gets locked up quick by Denver I'll admit I'm wrong, but I think the Rams have their choice of all of them PROVIDED they don't drag their feet. Get the interviews done, choose your guy, and lock him up.
nfl network reports shanny prefers the broncos job.