Ranking the Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams have a ton a free agents this year.
In my opinion these are the rankings of the unrestricted free agents in terms of need to resign....
Defense.
1) JOYNER He is a top flight safety and can roll to corner as well. Too good and too versatile to let go. I think will cost $10M/year to keep him.

2) ROBEY-COLEMAN. Solid CB. Not as good as Tru but provides a bit of a hedge if Tru can't be resigned. Should be sort of easy to retain.

3) TRU Doesn't get a ton of love on the board but easily the best CB on the Rams and one of the better in the league. Someone will probably offer to pay him more than he is worth. Team would be much better with him.

4) DAVIS Played pretty well when he got in at S. Provides important S depth and a ST standout.

5) BARWIN Not great at any one thing he is solid at most. A veteran leader on the team. May be willing to stay without a raise.

6). EASLEY Oft injured. Talented interior pass rushers are hard to find. Guy is still young and talented. Cheap deal.

7) WALKER A solid 3/4 interior guy. He knocked down some passes and was a solid rotational guy overall. Should be able to keep without giving a big raise.

Offense
1) SULLIVAN One of the better FA agent signings in recent years he stayed on the field and exceeded expectations. Was a key cog in a massively improved line. Made $1M in 2017

2) WATKINS Super talent who underachieves. He did nothing in 2017 to shake that rep. Rams need to have a price ceiling they won't go above to keep Watkins. He doesn't deserve top WR money because he is not a top WR. At some point a guy needs to produce.

3) CARRIER Good trade for Carrier. Gave the Rams a solid blocking TE in a young group of TEs.

4) McQUADE I will put him here. He is good. Long snappers usually age out because their vet minimum keeps going up making them expendable.

5) Lucas Played solid RT in limited action.

Of the RFA I Would rank the most important guys as
LONGACRE....played well for the most part and TE Rams need LB depth, could start.
HILL....see above comment about Robey-Coleman
BROWN....solid backup RB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sammy didn't produce?? He got 8 TDs this year...led the team in receiving TDs. Don't really care what they pay him, but I want him to stay....him and Robert Woods make a good duo.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sammy didn't produce?? He got 8 TDs this year...led the team in receiving TDs. Don't really care what they pay him, but I want him to stay....him and Robert Woods make a good duo.
I want him to stay too.
He was productive in a sense and is a good player. A $15M a year guy? Not to me.
I do think that if he does stay his production could improve. There were several instances last night when he was open and Goff went other places. Maybe that is a case of the scheme maybe a case of a young QB getting locked into certain guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1. Sammy Watkins - Still the only bonafide #1 type WR on the roster. And after they dump Austin, perhaps the only potential deep speed WR on the roster. He just needs to spend some time with Goff during the offseason like Woods did. Maybe then Goff wouldn't consistently under throw him.

2. John Sullivan - At 32 years old, still worthy of a re-sign at a fair price until his replacement in found.

3.. Nickell Robey-Coleman - Solid nickel CB the team won't have to break the bank to keep.

I'd look to replace everyone else via free agency and the draft if I could, though some might be considered resignable if they can be had for below market prices.

fearsomefour

Legend
1. Sammy Watkins - Still the only bonafide #1 type WR on the roster. And after they dump Austin, perhaps the only potential deep speed WR on the roster. He just needs to spend some time with Goff during the offseason like Woods did. Maybe then Goff wouldn't consistently under throw him.

2. John Sullivan - At 32 years old, still worthy of a re-sign at a fair price until his replacement in found.

3.. Nickell Robey-Coleman - Solid nickel CB the team won't have to break the bank to keep.

I'd look to replace everyone else via free agency and the draft if I could, though some might be considered resignable if they can be had for below market prices.
A guy like Davis should be pretty cheap to resign and fills a couple of important roles.
If replacing a depth S who in FA do you think is better that would cost less?

Memphis Ram

Legend
A guy like Davis should be pretty cheap to resign and fills a couple of important roles.
If replacing a depth S who in FA do you think is better that would cost less?

Probably won't happen, but I'd let Joyner walk, move John Johnson to FS and pickup 49ers S Eric Ried who will probably could be had cheaply due to his backing Kapernick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I want him to stay too.
He was productive in a sense and is a good player. A $15M a year guy? Not to me.
I do think that if he does stay his production could improve. There were several instances last night when he was open and Goff went other places. Maybe that is a case of the scheme maybe a case of a young QB getting locked into certain guys.

I honestly don't care about contracts anymore.

-They have no affect on the team on gameday

-None are every fully gauranteed

-They have no affect on me

-Not gonna stress about something I can't control and hardly know anything about.

Sammy is a good player and his attitude has def. done a 180. I want him to stay.

fearsomefour

Legend
Probably won't happen, but I'd let Joyner walk, move John Johnson to FS and pickup 49ers S Eric Ried who will probably could be had cheaply due to his backing Kapernick.
That all seems a bit of a reach to me.
Johnson is probably too slow for FS....of course a bunch of folks said Joyner was too small too.

fearsomefour

Legend

-Not gonna stress about something I can't control and hardly know anything about.

Sammy is a good player and his attitude has def. done a 180. I want him to stay.
I don't stress about it.
I just think it is interesting.
Different ways to try and build a team.
He was the first WR taken the year he was drafted and has in no way lived up to that in terms of production. I think they find a way to keep him. But, his moving on would cause me less "stress" than several other guys.

Ellard80

Legend

People are talking about the salary cap boss... can't pay every player big money.

So they have a huge affect on everything.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That all seems a bit of a reach to me.
Johnson is probably too slow for FS....of course a bunch of folks said Joyner was too small too.

He looks like he has good speed on the field to me.

Looked up their combine times.
40 yard dash - Johnson 4.61, Joyner 4.55
20 yard dash - Johnson 2.66, Joyner 2.68
10 yard dash - Johnson 1.58, Joyner 1.59
20 yard shuttle - Johnson 4.18, Joyner 4.40
3 Cone drill - Johnson 6.72, Joyner 7.26

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think that safety Cody Davis contract will be tied close to what happens with Safety Lamarcus Joyner. Davis started & played heavy in many games before his injury. Cody fits in well in this Wade's Defensive Secondary. A Davis contract would be a friedly contract compared to what LJ will get on the open FA'cy market $$$.

In the past Snead has made many comments on not favoring overpaying or spending large cap funds on safeties & preference for corners instead. Snead's past history in this position has followed closely with his past comments.... Snead permitted 3 very good Ram starting safeties go sign elsewhere after they had concluded their Ram contracts ....i.e. pro bowl Broncos Darian Stewart, Eagles Rodney McLeod, TJ McDonald to Miami. Plus he was quick to released 2 yr starter Mo Alexander who was in his contract year when rookie safety JJ III was ready to start..

On the flip side here LJ is not just a safety as the others were...LJ has started many games as an outside corner, has always been a very good Nickle & Dime corner plus started a full season for Gregg Williams @ SSLB position in addition to being able to play Strong & Deep safety positions.:bow:

I think we sign both LJ & Cody myself.

fearsomefour

Legend
He looks like he has good speed on the field to me.

Looked up their combine times.
40 yard dash - Johnson 4.61, Joyner 4.55
20 yard dash - Johnson 2.66, Joyner 2.68
10 yard dash - Johnson 1.58, Joyner 1.59
20 yard shuttle - Johnson 4.18, Joyner 4.40
3 Cone drill - Johnson 6.72, Joyner 7.26
Yeah.
Don't care about times.
A lot of S play is reading and reacting.
He played well and made some plays.
I was not saying I think he is slow, that was the rap on him coming out. To be clear, when scouts talk about a guy being "slow" they mean how he plays. I didn't see that translate this year. I was impressed with Johnson, particularly for a rookie.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would think that safety Cody Davis contract will be tied close to what happens with Safety Lamarcus Joyner. Davis started & played heavy in many games before his injury. Cody fits in well in this Wade's Defensive Secondary. A Davis contract would be a friedly contract compared to what LJ will get on the open FA'cy market $$$.

In the past Snead has made many comments on not favoring overpaying or spending large cap funds on safeties & preference for corners instead. Snead's past history in this position has followed closely with his past comments.... Snead permitted 3 very good Ram starting safeties go sign elsewhere after they had concluded their Ram contracts ....i.e. pro bowl Broncos Darian Stewart, Eagles Rodney McLeod, TJ McDonald to Miami. Plus he was quick to released 2 yr starter Mo Alexander who was in his contract year when rookie safety JJ III was ready to start..

On the flip side here LJ is not just a safety as the others were...LJ has started many games as an outside corner, has always been a very good Nickle & Dime corner plus started a full season for Gregg Williams @ SSLB position in addition to being able to play Strong & Deep safety positions.:bow:

I think we sign both LJ & Cody myself.
This is what I am hoping for.
Joyner is tbe best of the S we have had in my opinion. Although McLeod was tough to let go.
Davis we could keep for not big money, Joyner I think will cost $10M a year.
Losing both Tru and Joyner is too much of a talent suck in my opinion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah.
Don't care about times.
A lot of S play is reading and reacting.
He played well and made some plays.
I was not saying I think he is slow, that was the rap on him coming out. To be clear, when scouts talk about a guy being "slow" they mean how he plays. I didn't see that translate this year. I was impressed with Johnson, particularly for a rookie.

Never saw that rap coming out or on the field. In fact, what I saw was just the opposite.