Ranking the entire Rams 90-man roster from 90-to-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can tell you took a good amount of time on this. I really appreciate it! It invigorated my mind to think about the players on this team.

I am pretty excited to see how Mcvay uses the tight ends he has and Sam Rogers. Higbee, Hemingway, and Everett may be one of the strongest tight end crews that Mcvay has had the chance to work with, I will say that Reed and Davis are the strongest at this point.
Thank you for reading and glad to hear. I think this will be used as somewhat of a barometer of where our players are on the spectrum. This will be good for all fans alike to form their own opinions and ideas by using my list as a launching point. I have had multiple people say things like wow i have no idea we had so-and-so or even wow I didn't know that Cory Littleton was that good. It's just good to get it out there and I'm really proud to say that I wrote this piece.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Obviously a subjective listing, especially when grading rookie players who have never seen a camp, let alone an actual NFL game.
I'm still trying to discover what all the love for Westbrooks is about on this site ? He was graded in the mid- 70's overall for DE's by PFF last season, and that seemed high to me. He had a bad 2016 season, he's a terrible against the run and lacks the speed, strength, footwork and ability to escape quicker OT's with any kind of elite moves or consistency as a pass rusher. And that was at what should probably be his better position as a 4-3 DE. As a 3-4 DE, I worry much more, although Phillips has done more with less. Longacre was somewhat better as a rush defender and worse as a pass rusher, had he enough snaps to get a full PFF grade, it would have been around #84 overall. Morgan Fox, on the other hand, had he enough snaps to qualify for grading, would have come in at #55 overall. Now, Fox isn't a great pass rusher, he did edge out Longacre, but neither were good. Where Fox shines is in defending the run, and he's the best DLineman we have doing it other than Donald. His 79.1 grade in rush D alone would grade him in the top 20 overall for all DE's in this category. We know that Quinn is all pass rush and little rush defense, so i'd offer Fox as that potential rotational RDE/ROLB, coming in on those obvious rushing downs. These 3 competing players (Westbrooks, Longacre & Fox) have a history we know a little something about, although I feel I must take some issue when I see rookies or others grading higher on this list than the one guy who received the most rave reviews outside of Donald as a DL from the 2015 camp. Trinca-Pasat was getting the accolades and press before going down to injury prior to the season opening, he was also injured again early in 2016 and IR'd. Local media hasn't covered his story, and unless those injuries are chronic, seems he should be garnering just a bit more respect. Dominique Easley had a similar beginning to his career with the Pats, of course he was a first round draft pick, but i'm not inclined to write off Trinca-Pasat just yet, not after his excellent camp performances a few years back. jmo.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Obviously a subjective listing, especially when grading rookie players who have never seen a camp, let alone an actual NFL game.
I'm still trying to discover what all the love for Westbrooks is about on this site ? He was graded in the mid- 70's overall for DE's by PFF last season, and that seemed high to me. He had a bad 2016 season, he's a terrible run blocker and lacks the speed, strength, footwork and ability to escape quicker OT's with any kind of elite moves or consistency as a pass rusher. And that was at what should probably be his better position as a 4-3 DE. As a 3-4 DE, I worry much more, although Phillips has done more with less. Longacre was somewhat better as a rush defender and worse as a pass rusher, had he enough snaps to get a full PFF grade, it would have been around #84 overall. Morgan Fox, on the other hand, had he enough snaps to qualify for grading, would have come in at #55 overall. Now, Fox isn't a great pass rusher, he did edge out Longacre, but neither were good. Where Fox shines is in defending the run, and he's the best DLineman we have doing it other than Donald. His 79.1 grade in rush D alone would grade him in the top 20 overall for all DE's in this category. We know that Quinn is all pass rush and little rush defense, so i'd offer Fox as that potential rotational RDE, coming in on those obvious rushing downs. These 3 competing players (Westbrooks, Longacre & Fox) have a history we know a little something about, although I feel I must take some issue when I see rookies or others grading higher on this list than the one guy who received the most rave reviews outside of Donald as a DL from the 2015 camp. Trinca-Pasat was getting the accolades and press before going down to injury prior to the season opening, he was also injured again early in 2016 and IR'd. Local media hasn't covered his story, and unless those injuries are chronic, seems he should be garnering just a bit more respect. Dominique Easley had a similar beginning to his career with the Pats, of course he was a first round draft pick, but i'm not inclined to write off Trinca-Pasat just yet, not after his excellent camp performances a few years back. jmo.
There is so much here I am overwhelmed haha. Thank you for reading I feel like you know defense real well. I like LTP and to be completely honest the hype started before the Rams signed him. He was a nasty man at Iowa and he has underrated quickness that would complement Donald real well. I really like Westbrooks and Longacre. They each have some key strengths that can help us win games. Fox too, but let me tell you that guy A.J. Jefferson from Miss State opened my eyes big time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good job. I enjoyed the read. Of course, everyone would have a different ranking for a lot of players but this obviously took some time and thought to lay down. Thanks for putting it out there for us to ponder.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love Johnny Hekker a punter should never be that high and although Hekker is special, the greatest punter ever was Ray Guy and I know you did not see him play, but at this point I would give him a huge edge over Hekker because I need to see the former Beaver do it in post season.

OK - I WAS around when Ray Guy was the best punter ever. Hekker has a very good chance of being better. Guy was a boomer for sure and was king of the coffin corner but Hekker is a specimen. As a big OSU guy, I can tell you that we didn't really pay that much attention to him here either. But this guy is not only the real deal but he could give two shits about the fame - he just loves to boot the ball better than anyone and has the most pure fun being the best. There is nothing short of the "I" word going to stop him from being the best punter ever. Yes I said EVER.

And @jakebogen95 - nice work.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
OK - I WAS around when Ray Guy was the best punter ever. Hekker has a very good chance of being better. Guy was a boomer for sure and was king of the coffin corner but Hekker is a specimen. As a big OSU guy, I can tell you that we didn't really pay that much attention to him here either. But this guy is not only the real deal but he could give two shits about the fame - he just loves to boot the ball better than anyone and has the most pure fun being the best. There is nothing short of the "I" word going to stop him from being the best punter ever. Yes I said EVER.

And @jakebogen95 - nice work.
Haha thank you I enjoyed this comment.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good job. I enjoyed the read. Of course, everyone would have a different ranking for a lot of players but this obviously took some time and thought to lay down. Thanks for putting it out there for us to ponder.
Absolutely! Thank you for reading and taking the positive spin on it.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
He gone! lol

Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so Jake!! :(

Then I definitely like Davis. I think he has a lot of unrealized potential. Wasn't he hurt at USC after balling out? From what I hear, he was supplanted by another RB after his injury. (which I believe was slow to heal?)

It sounds bad, but I think it's a positive because he's under the radar and his highlight reel is GOOD.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Then I definitely like Davis. I think he has a lot of unrealized potential. Wasn't he hurt at USC after balling out? From what I hear, he was supplanted by another RB after his injury. (which I believe was slow to heal?)

It sounds bad, but I think it's a positive because he's under the radar and his highlight reel is GOOD.
Yeah he fell behind dominant back Ronald Jones

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg

When he was a true freshman at USC he had the quickest burst and ability to get to the corner of any USC tailback I'd seen since Reggie Bush. Then against Notre Dame he re-injured an ankle that had been bothering him, stayed in the game, then broke the ankle on a gutsy touchdown run.

After his injury Buck Allen got a chance and never looked back, finishing 2013 on fire and killing it in 2014.

By the time Buck was gone and Justin had another shot, Ronald Jones was on campus and he was too good to keep off the field. Justin Davis was always really good (in fact his running sealed several close games for us when we had the rock, the lead and an enormous O-line) but he never became the superstar he seemed destined to be.

I'm still a little irritated that he was kept in the Notre Dame game.

threesox84

Name
Greg
Yeah he fell behind dominant back Ronald Jones

Yup. Although I'll say he never really "fell behind" Rojo, they just split carries. Rojo was the one with the quick burst, and the formerly quick Justin Davis turned into a good, tough runner.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
When he was a true freshman at USC he had the quickest burst and ability to get to the corner of any USC tailback I'd seen since Reggie Bush. Then against Notre Dame he re-injured an ankle that had been bothering him, stayed in the game, then broke the ankle on a gutsy touchdown run.

After his injury Buck Allen got a chance and never looked back, finishing 2013 on fire and killing it in 2014.

By the time Buck was gone and Justin had another shot, Ronald Jones was on campus and he was too good to keep off the field. Justin Davis was always really good (in fact his running sealed several close games for us when we had the rock, the lead and an enormous O-line) but he never became the superstar he seemed destined to be.

I'm still a little irritated that he was kept in the Notre Dame game.

Wow! Great write-up and info! Thanks!

Did he ever retain his burst after injury? Did he show glimpses?

I wonder... A Justin Davis, getting mentored by Todd Gurley and some Rams greats, like ED. That mentoring with a great Kromer line and a high powered offense that McVay will create... Definitely a better situation to hone his talents and flourish. He could be a superstar rookie for our team, helping us in key situations.

threesox84

Name
Greg
Wow! Great write-up and info! Thanks!

Did he ever retain his burst after injury? Did he show glimpses?

It was hard to tell because after sitting behind Buck for a year and a half his frame had filled out and he looked more like a grown man RB.

Off the top of my head I don't recall him slashing to the corner like he did was a freshman.

I wonder... A Justin Davis, getting mentored by Todd Gurley and some Rams greats, like ED. That mentoring with a great Kromer line and a high powered offense that McVay will create... Definitely a better situation to hone his talents and flourish. He could be a superstar rookie for our team, helping us in key situations.

The only caveat with USC tailbacks is that they run behind massive O-lines in college. Even in relatively down years USC usually has a line full of 300 lbers with a few NFL linemen in the group.

That said, if Kroemer can create an upper echelon O-line Justin Davis will feel right at home. One thing no one could ever accuse him of was a lack of vision and patience. If the holes are there he'll get through them.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Nice write up @jakebogen95 - I'm really glad you justified your selections, rather than just listing the guys - obviously I beg to differ on some of the selections, but that's all subjective at the moment - but on the whole I agree with your list +/- 3 places - I have difficulty seeing Hekker at #3 though - I do believe that he's worthy of the #1 slot - and I might even have McQuaide higher too - I think he's one of the unsung heroes on ST.

I know a punter being that high, and me rating a long snapper o have more props?!? The problem is Hekker really is that good - he is dominant and as @RamFan503 he seems to enjoy himself, and has more fun than any player I know - such an amazing role model for kids and young players.

But all in all - good job man

TexasRam

Legend
Solid list bro.

1. My list would bump Alexander way down12-15 spots. Largely unproven in pass defense.
2. Joyner showing flashes but hasn't put it together yet. bump down 7-8 spots.
3. Tavon rated way too low. I don't knock his consistency having been in a Fisher offense. And he has proven He is an NFL playmaker that can take it to the house on any play.
On a side note: You cant rate a rookie as anything until he actually does something.
4. Saffold - Way too low. The Guy is a pro bowl guard on many other teams with some surrounding talent. I don't put him in top 10 due to durability but hes just outside my top 10.
5. EJ Gaines - Before Injury showcased NFL starter talent at CB. People forget just how solid he was. I have in in my top 20.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
OK - I WAS around when Ray Guy was the best punter ever. Hekker has a very good chance of being better. Guy was a boomer for sure and was king of the coffin corner but Hekker is a specimen.

Ray Guy was a great athlete as well, not taking anything away from Hekker, but Ray Guy was very humble, he never threw a touchdown pass, but was 2/3 for 54 yards and in the words of Meatloaf, that ain't bad. Also Guy ran 11 times for 43 yards averaging 3.9 per carry. Again I hope Hekker can continue to dominate his position, but Ray Guy did it for 14 years and was part of three Super Bowl winning teams.