Ranking the 10 Best Free Agent O-Linemen/PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
RANKING THE 10 BEST O-LINEMEN SET TO HIT FREE AGENCY

The 2017 free-agent crop of offensive linemen is interior-heavy, but talent is to be had at the tackle spot, as well.

MATT CLAASSEN

[www.profootballfocus.com]

There should be plenty of teams looking to upgrade along their offensive lines this offseason, and this year’s crop of free-agent linemen is one of the best in recent years. It’s a particularly interior-heavy group, but there are still good options at either tackle position, as well.

Here’s the list of the top offensive linemen set to hit free agency:

1. Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals
Zeitler may be just below the “elite” tier of guards, but not by much. He has earned a top-10 overall grade among guards in each of the last three seasons, and is pretty balanced in having success as both a run and pass blocker. Zeitler has allowed just one sack over the past two seasons, and recorded the fifth-highest pass-blocking efficiency among guards in 2016. At age 27, he likely has a whole contract’s worth of good years ahead of him, which gives him the edge over the next two players.

2. T.J. Lang, G, Green Bay Packers

Lang dealt with some injuries this past season that probably contributed to a slight dip in his play, but he still finished as our eighth-ranked guard in 2016 after earning a top-five spot the previous two years. Lang is consistently one of the best pass blockers in the league, and in this past season, did not allow a single sack or hit despite Aaron Rodgers holding onto the ball longer than all but one other NFL quarterback. While Lang is a noticeably better pass protector than run blocker, he’s still well above average in the ground game. He’s two years older than Zeitler, but could still be a better fit for a team that is pass-heavy and looking to upgrade its pass protection.

3. Andrew Whitworth, T, Cincinnati Bengals
At age 35, Whitworth may not be a long-term solution at this point. However, at worst, he can be an exceptional short-term answer for teams needing help at the tackle position. Whitworth has graded among the top-10 tackles for eight consecutive seasons, and his best play has actually come in recent years, as he’s ranked among the top-five tackles for the last four seasons. He remains one of the better pass-protecting left tackles, having allowed just 14 total QB pressures last season. Even though it may only be for a limited time, Whitworth could be a difference-maker for a playoff contender.

4. Larry Warford, G, Detroit Lions
Warford put together one of the best rookie performances for an offensive lineman in 2013, enough to earn PFF’s Rookie of the Year award. Unfortunately for the Lions, he hasn’t been able to replicate that season since then. However, Warford remains a solid guard who is above-average as both a run and pass blocker. There’s also still a chance that a change of scenery and coaching could help him get back to his rookie level.

5. Ronald Leary, G, Dallas Cowboys
Leary has been fortunate to play between two of the best players at tackle and center. That said, he’s actually shown to be a pretty good one-on-one blocker when given the opportunity. Leary managed to not allow a single sack on nearly 500 snaps in pass protection last season, and didn’t allow a hit until Week 14. As impressive as that is, he’s actually been a better run blocker than pass blocker. He has ranked among the top-15 guards in run-blocking grading in his last two full seasons as a starter. Leary would be a good fit for a team that runs a zone-blocking scheme and is looking to upgrade its run blocking.

6. J.C. Tretter, C, Green Bay Packers
Tretter is somewhat of a wildcard, given that he’s barely played a full season’s worth of snaps in his four-year career. However, when he has been on the field, he’s performed pretty well. After starting just a handful of games at the end of the 2015 season, Tretter was able to unseat Corey Linsley in the offseason to take over as the starting center for the Packers. Through eight weeks, it looked like Green Bay had made the correct choice, as Tretter was the fifth-ranked center at the time, but a knee injury abruptly ended his season. Whoever is willing to give Tretter a chance likely will end up with a solid starter. He may also provide some positional flexibility, since the Packers’ original plan was to used him at guard.

7. Ricky Wagner, T, Baltimore Ravens

Wagner has been a starter for the Ravens for three seasons now, and his play has been all over the place during that time. His best season came in 2014 when he just missed the top-10 in overall grade, but did rank eighth as a pass blocker, along with an above-average run-blocking grade. Wagner is coming off a similar performance in 2016, with just slight steps back in both aspects of blocking. Sandwiched between those two seasons was a disastrous year in which Wagner allowed a career-high 52 total QB pressures, 20 more than his next-highest season. He also struggled as a run blocker on a fairly regular basis. Wagner very well may be the player we saw in 2014 and 2016, but teams will also need to be wary of what exactly happened in 2015 that caused such a stark drop in performance.

8. Stefan Wisniewski, C/G, Philadelphia Eagles
Wisniewski has bounced around among teams the last few seasons and was relegated to a backup role last year before stepping in as a starter for a few weeks. He is a few years removed from his best performances, though he’s never really had a below-average season as a starter. Oddly, teams have been willing to move on after just one season anyways. He’s probably still best-suited as a center, but he did show last year that he’s a capable guard, and that positional flexibility should only be an added value for a team.

9. Kelvin Beachum, T, Jacksonville Jaguars
The Jaguars decided to move on from Beachum after one season. He had easily the worst season of his career, but he should still be worth a look. Beachum’s poor performance came in his first year returning from an ACL injury sustained early in the 2015 season, as well as his first in a different offensive system. Prior to the injury, he had a breakout year in 2014 when he was the fifth-ranked tackle in the NFL. He had a rocky start to the 2015 season, as he allowed four total QB pressures in the season opener against the Patriots, but he settled down and allowed just two over his next four-plus games before the season-ending injury. At age 27, he is still young and worth taking a chance on with limited guaranteed money in hopes that he can get closer to his 2014 level.

10. John Sullivan, C, Washington Redskins
Sullivan played just 98 snaps last year after missing the entire 2015 season with a back injury. At age 31, Sullivan is now more than three seasons removed from the top of his game. He finished among the top-three graded centers from 2011–2013. In his last full season in 2014, Sullivan still earned above-average grades as both a pass protector and run blocker to finish as the seventh-ranked center. He may not be an elite center anymore, but he’s definitely worth a look from a team trying to upgrade at the position.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
is it just me or does it feel anyone of those would be an upgrade ?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And away we go....I'm sure OL coach Aaron Kromer is working diligently to see the hand he was dealt and then will make the decision as to is there any help in free agency. I liked @jrry32 realistic mock signing Wisniewski (also drafting Jon Toth), along with adding Ronald Leary and having GROB and Saffold battle it out at LT.

For some reason teams keep passing on Wisniewski, Rams could of signed him a couple of years ago and passed, we will see what Kromer does. I'm a big fan of Toth even at 6-5 plays with excellent leverage and might unseat the veteran Wisniewski sooner rather than later.

One other note as to center and I'm sure to get lambasted for this, but IMHO I thought Demetrius Rhaney had an outstanding camp & preseason. He's not a Guard, he's a center and he clearly outplayed Kush and won the backup job. Would like to see what Kromer thinks of Rhaney as well.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There must be something to the fact that Wisniewski jumps from team to team. I like the top 6 guys and a couple of them would be cool additions I'm all for Whitworth (what a mentor for GRob) and Leary but could we also see former Redskin Sullivan suit up in horns too??

Then again as @den-the-coach I'm sure Kromer is looking hard at the line and if we need some FA help I'm sure they'll be on it.

The Rams have built a coaching structure to succeed, it's obvious that there are players that can be upgraded and I'm sure they'll attack Free Agency with the passion and urgency that they did when looking for the coaching team.

Let's let them build a Roster to succeed now :)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Warford & Leary only.....and only if the price is right.

Actually it will be one or the other (both guards) and IMHO the likes of Tretter & Wisniewski would be an upgrade over Barnes IMHO and I bet you could get both at a good price, but again I will defer to the Offensive Line Coach as I believe Aaron Kromer is the best offensive line coach the Rams have had since Jim Hanifan roamed the sidelines in St. Louis.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There must be something to the fact that Wisniewski jumps from team to team.
:whistle: your very perceptive shaunpinney.

A very well disguised allegedly solid player who name rings off with a loud tone as an being an effective OL'er but his weekly on field performances year after year sure leave his past teams ready to get him a plane ticket home after the season ends.

But just ignore the facts & go with ....."Nothing to see here move on move line, his a marvelous upgrade".

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But just ignore the facts & go with ....."Nothing to see here move on move line, his a marvelous upgrade".

It is amazing because Wisniewski does grade out well when he's playing. So is it a locker room issue? Anyway nobody was more of a cancer than Richie Incognito and all he's done since being shuffled off to Buffalo is become a perennial all pro. I trust Kromer, if the Rams sign one of these guys I believe it will be the right move.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It is amazing because Wisniewski does grade out well when he's playing. So is it a locker room issue? Anyway nobody was more of a cancer than Richie Incognito and all he's done since being shuffled off to Buffalo is become a perennial all pro. I trust Kromer, if the Rams sign one of these guys I believe it will be the right move.
As you know I would be the last member here to be in the category of desiring to pay big $$ for a center this season. So I am tainted here Big Time. I do think he is slightly better playing OG than center which would fly in the face of most written articles rate him on. So what do I know:confused:.

However on this rare occasion here, you will have to forgive me because I disagree with you my friend, which is rare for you & I.

SW has done very little to help his teams win. Fact is non of his teams every had a winning season so one line that you will not find on his resume is where he helps his team have a wining season. Over the last decade his contracted teams were losers 4-12/ 4-12/ 3-13/ 5-11/ & most recently the team near you they were 7-9. Over the last 3 seasons the teams who SW played with Oakland/ Jags/ Eagles all let him go quickly. Too me that speaks volumes.

I like your TC Tretter Ideal so much better!

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
Well regardless, to me it seems kinda obvious that we need to capture one of these free agents. Without the draft picks, and even if we had them, we need experience on the line. All of these guys provide that for our young franchise QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well regardless, to me it seems kinda obvious that we need to capture one of these free agents. Without the draft picks, and even if we had them, we need experience on the line. All of these guys provide that for our young franchise QB.

If I had my fantasy pick it would be LT Andrew Whitworth. A short 2 yr contract to buy McVay time to get is plan together for a new long term answer to protect Goff blind side. Having a solid effective veteran OLT in here would permit both Saffold & Robinson to work for the open interior OL positions. Robinson might be a decent starting OLG next to Andrew Whitworth. Saffold could return to work the right side posts. But sad to say chances of Snead getting Andrew Whitworth under contract would be highly doubtful.

Without a valid OLT McVay will be forced to move Saffold, Robinson & Donnel into full competition for the LT post leaving the OG cadre competition low in quantity & quality. Not sure if a LG or RG UFA is needed most but right now ORG would be a higher priority over the LG IMO. Signing multi positional player JC Tretter to a good size $$$ one year contract gives McVay an instant versatile OL plug in to any of the five OL positions on a as need basis.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Then we will go with that, which in fairness has been @jrry32 plan all along.
I like Tretter and think he's the best option if he wasn't made out of glass. You sign him and when he goes down hurt what will we do? To much risk I'm my opinion. Hey didn't we sign a Center from GB awhile back? How did that work out? :whistle:

Ram65

Legend
Like this spotrac free agent estimate contract average $$$$$$ and Length. They do an analysis compared to players they think are close to free agent player. It will be interesting to see where these guys end up and how much they get paid. I was just thinking that outside of Saffold and GRob the Rams have very little invested in the offensive line. These two take up almost 13M of the 22M for the entire 12 offensive linemen counting. Treatter could be a nice long term value . The Rams could get Wisniewski cheap as a swing OC/OG and see what works out best.

I like to figure out what the free agents will cost. Both GRob and Saggold could be gone after a year leaving the Rams with little long term high salaries. It will be interesting.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/positional/offensive-line/2017/full-cap/

1. Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals Salary Estimate 11.6 Million 5 Years

2. T.J. Lang, G, Green Bay Packers Salary Estimate 8.4 Million 4 Years

3. Andrew Whitworth, T, Cincinnati Bengals Not Rated

4. Larry Warford, G, Detroit Lions Salary Estimate 6.2M 5 years

5. Ronald Leary, G, Dallas Cowboys Salary Estimate 9.1M 4 years

6. J.C. Tretter, C, Green Bay Packers Salary Estimate 8.7M 6 years

7. Ricky Wagner, T, Baltimore Ravens Salary Estimate 6.9M 4 years

8. Stefan Wisniewski, C/G, Philadelphia Eagles Not Rated

9. Kelvin Beachum, T, Jacksonville Jaguars Not Rated

10. John Sullivan, C, Washington Redskins Not Rated

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hey didn't we sign a Center from GB awhile back? How did that work out? :whistle:

History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes....Scott Wells was on the wrong side of 30 and the irony had never missed a down with the Packers. Tretter is 26, but coming off a knee injury there is that risk.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes....Scott Wells was on the wrong side of 30 and the irony had never missed a down with the Packers. Tretter is 26, but coming off a knee injury there is that risk.
Not only the knee but he's never played a full season. It will happen again he's made of glass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not only the knee but he's never played a full season. It will happen again he's made of glass.
I get so excited when I see you have posted:oops:...I think the photo above your username may have something to do with that.
It should definitely be a concern.
That would be the reason for a very short one year contract to remove that very grave concern:cautious:. No long or moderate term contract period.:huh:
I like Tretter and think he's the best option if he wasn't made out of glass. You sign him and when he goes down hurt what will we do? To much risk I'm my opinion. Hey didn't we sign a Center from GB awhile back? How did that work out? :whistle:
Do not sign Tretter with the intentions that he is to be your main fix @ center. Instead I would approach the signing of Tretter to be highly involved in the LT or either OG starting competition. Now you let the natural competition work it way through to find where Tretter can help this Rams 2017 OL improve. If he happens to win one of the 3 starting posts I mentioned above & gets hurt gain the Rams do have other OL'ers to fill in during this period. If things work out & Tretter proves to a good starter & a iron man then he has earned a very nice pay day in 2018.

A with a very low salary cost plan like this..... #1-continue to go with Barnes & get him back fully healthy & let Kromer work with him. #2-Move the 6-5 320 3rd season OG Cody Wichmann to center position to compete in this one single post. #3-Draft a ready to go (no project) center in the draft. #4-Keep last season's reserve center a 4th yr player Demetrious Rhaney as our 4th center to compete. With this plan you should improve & upgrade the center post cadre from the last 5 or 6 past season. Bottom line this is a serious cap friendly plan!

Last edited: