Ranking Sean McVay Among NFL Head Coaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ranking Sean McVay Among NFL Head Coaches​

One must take a litany of factors into consideration when ranking head coaches. Experience, success, where and how much value they add in-game, management, and organizational control.

With those things in mind, tiers of talent quickly emerge and when thinking specifically of Sean McVay, it is clear that he is among the top ten head coaches in the league. Based on that extensive list of criteria here are the top ten active coaches in the NFL. Collectively, this list represents 19 trips to the Super Bowl, 82 trips to the playoffs, and a collective record of 1339-794-4 for a 62.8 winning percentage.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Andy Reid
3. Asshole Face
4. John Harbaugh
5. Mike Tomlin
6. Pete Carroll
7. Sean McVay
8. Bruce Arians
9. Sean McDermott
10. Kyle Shanahan

McVay finds himself sandwiched in the rankings among veteran NFL head coaches. He is still a young coach, but he already has a solid track record of success. That said, He is still somewhat inexperienced compared to the six veteran coaches rated above him. But, he also has a better winning percentage than all but Bill Belichick, and even Belichick only saw one winning season in his first four seasons as a head coach. In fact, only Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh had better-winning percentages than McVay in their first four seasons, 67.6% and 67.1% to McVay’s 65.7%.

Both of those coaches, the argument could be made, landed in more favorable situations with both the Ravens and the Steelers coming off winning seasons in the recent past. The Rams hadn’t posted a winning season in over a decade before McVay took over. He turned a 4-11 team into a playoff team in one season. Asshole Face is the only other coach above McVay on the list that took a perennial loser and turned them into a playoff threat.

Another feather in McVay’s cap is that almost every other higher-rated coach has also had the luxury of coaching with a future hall of fame quarterback on their roster. John Harbaugh may be the only exception. Lamar Jackson could prove to be his HOF’er, but as of today, the jury is still out on him. For Reid, Donovan McNabb hasn’t been voted in, yet, but Patrick Mahomes may be the first player ever given a gold jacket while in mid-throw.

Why being behind these six legendary coaches is an interesting position is it seems like McVay is poised to move up this list. What sanctifies the men ahead of him has been their ability to traverse the NFL landscape over a long period of time. McVay has obviously met the challenges of his first four years head-on and come up the victor in most cases.

What is most impressive about McVay so far is his ability to make smart decisions even when they seem impossible. The decision to move on from Todd Gurley and Cory Littleton come to mind. The decision to hire Brandon Staley is another example of just how smart McVay makes the Rams organization. Furthermore, his most unique and valuable contribution is his ability to develop the people around him. He has turned late-round draft picks and undrafted free agents into legitimate starters. This has allowed the Rams to add elite talent like Jalen Ramsey and now Matthew Stafford.

This will prove to be a pivotal year in McVay’s legacy as a coach. Up until now, he has only had Jared Goff to helm his offense. At times, Goff made the offense look unstoppable. Others, it ground to a halt. Some blamed McVay, claiming the NFL had caught up to him and that he wasn’t the offensive wunderkind the world hailed him as.

Some don’t see Stafford as a big enough upgrade to get the Rams to the next level. But this is where McVay can prove that he is among the best coaches in the NFL. Stafford played at a very high level for Jim Caldwell, but he has never played for an offensive-minded coach quite like McVay. If McVay can unlock Stafford and as a result show that his offense is even more high-powered, as it once seemed, he will prove he can survive long term in the NFL.

Breaking into that top level isn’t the only side of the story for McVay’s ranking among NFL coaches. The NFL is currently engulfed in a seismic change that will decide who ranks where in the near future.

While McVay is at the bottom of a list of coaches that have long sustained track records of winning football, he is also at the top of the list of young up-and-coming head coaches (Not that Bruce Arians is young*). Just outside the top ten are names like Kevin Stefanski, Matt LeFleur, and Brian Flores. Of course, Shanahan is lurking at 10. He is the only coach on the list with a sub .500 record, but his offensive acumen keeps him in the conversation. All of these coaches are trying to be the new guard and looking to supplant McVay and those legends that precede him.

Meanwhile, the old guard is feeling the brunt of the seismic change. Belichick, Payton, and Tomlin are all in various stages of transitioning away from the quarterbacks that have helped make them legends. Pete Carroll also finds himself precariously close to the same edge with Russell Wilson becoming increasingly disgruntled with the Seahawks organization. Part of the rift with Wilson is that he isn’t feeling supported by his protection, nor by the playmakers, nor with playcalling. Carroll hopes that new offensive coordinator, and McVay acolyte, Shane Waldron, will be the cure to what ails that relationship.

Being a top-ranked coach with a Hall of Fame quarterback is one thing, rebuilding a team once that QB is gone is wholly another. How these four coaches manage the next few seasons will shed light on just how great they are. If any can maintain the level of success they have had in the past they will cement their legacy among the best ever. Belichick discovered what life without Tom Brady was like and promptly drafted Brady’s body double, in Mac Jones. While the future’s for Payton and Tomlin are left dubious.

The opposite is happening among most of the remaining coaches in the top 10. Reid, Harbaugh, McDermott, and maybe Shanahan are shepherding the next class of potential Hall of Fame quarterbacks. The near future for these coaches will propel these coaches to higher heights, (Again Arians is an outlier. Brady has shown no signs of slowing, and Arians’ Buccaneers are a favorite to repeat. But, Brandy will age eventually. Right?) Reid already has an unimpeachable record as a head coach, but how he finishes his career alongside Patrick Mahomes in his prime and has the potential to solidify his standing among the very best. John Harbaugh is in a similar position with Jackson.

McVay once again finds himself sandwiched between the new guard and the old guard. He doesn’t have a fresh face QB on a rookie deal, but he himself is still a young innovative coach with many years of proving ground ahead of him. But because there is so much amazing up-and-coming QB talent with equally good coaching, McVay has to win now and win big with Stafford to prove he is ranked among the elite coaches and still beats out the new guard.

*Bruce Arians is a curious case for rating. Of course, he won the Super Bowl after helping put the finishing touches on an already good team. His ability to turn that particular team into a well-oiled machine by the later part of the season is very impressive.

He also built a good team in Arizona around Carson Palmer, which is also impressive. He also didn’t get his first head coaching gig until he was 60. So Arians has never been a young head coach, per se, but only has three more seasons than McVay under his belt.

oldnotdead

Legend
What enables McVay to be this "genius" head coach, is his pairing with Snead. It is Snead that has provided McVay with a championship-caliber roster. Snead got him his own QB, one that doesn't have to be developed and in fact expand his offense. So I have no problem with his ranking per se. I mean how good would he be in AZ? Definitely better than Kingsbury but would their GM have gotten the level of talent that Snead has provided? Just look at that roster compared to the Rams. He would have had Rosen as his QB with an assortment of second-tier players and a smattering of true talent. Yes, perhaps they would be perennial wildcard contenders, but GMs build teams and the HC then find ways to use what talent he's given to win. A franchise needs both to be successful. Most teams only have half of the equation.

Ozzie Newsome as the Raven's GM since 1999 brought in Brian Billick who won 1 SB, 1 AFC Championship, 1 AFC North Championship, and 4 other playoff berths. He followed that with the Raven's current HC John Harbaugh who won 1 SB, 1 AFC Championship, 4 AFCN Championships, and 9 other playoff berths. My point is that an elite HC can only be as successful as the GM he works for. Newsome retired in 2019 but his hand-picked Eric DeCosta replaced him and continued his " GM playbook" as Newsome trained him.

My point is an elite GM must hire an elite HC to have that kind of success. We have that in the Rams. Snead needed McVay and vise versa. Neither would be as successful as they have been here in LA without each other. A winning franchise needs both. The rise of the Rams is predicated upon the collaboration of Snead and McVay in partnership. This partnership is just beginning to jell, but it has the potential to be historic. Snead is only 50 and McVay is only 35 so this thing can go on for literally decades. They both are the architects of this budding dynasty. I see 2018 as a dry run and now 2 years later this roster is built from the lessons they learned in 2018. That's how I see things with the Rams.

dang

Legend
Let the record show...for Shanahan

Head coaching record
Regular season:29–35 (.453)
Postseason:2–1 (.667)
Career:31–36 (.463)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically the list is comprised of coaches who have made SB, and those who won are rated higher.
Exception being McDermott which is a bit silly, I'd put Flores ahead of McDermott at this point

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hate the Seahawks but Carroll deserves to be there.

I might even slot him ahead of Harbaugh and Tomlin.
Not in my opinion. Consider what made the Seahawks good. Pete took advantage of knowing college players and college coaches since he just came from USC. Once that was exhausted the Seahawks drafting has not been great and they made some questionable moves. He got lucky on an oft injured Lynch, but giving up a first for ajar in and a Box safety. I know that’s Schneider too buy

He ran a basic cover three defense that held up due to personnel, mainly Earl Thomas. His offense was ground chuck with Lynch and a lot of improvising by Wilson. Other than being a good motivator and letting his guys play I don’t see much of a strategist. He keeps trying to fix his offense with no real grasp of how to.

His defense ( his specialty) has not changed and struggles without the right players. I feel Pete was only good due to circumstance and if not for Wilson he’d have a lot of middle of the road or worse seasons.

Carroll won at USC thanks to luring top players with money and favors. It’s not hard to win in college when your team is loaded with 4& 5 star recruits, especially in a weaker conference like the PAC.

From pure coaching knowledge would you prefer Carroll or McVay? I think hands down McVay Trumps Pete.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Carroll is 98-45-1 over the past nine seasons. His teams are physical and mentally tough; and consistently play to their ability. He’s an excellent coach who usually gets the best from his talent.

And I really don’t like him.

Your post has got a lot of stuff in it, and I agree on a number of your points.

Glad you mentioned John Schneider in passing because he’s had a lot to do with Seattle’s personnel decisions … both good (mostly) and bad.

I would rather have McVay for a number of reasons, including age. It’s a young person’s world, and a young man’s game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't have any probs keeping the younger coaches--including McVay--down a bit until they win that championship. But also I have to say that before you even make a list you have to put up a metric. What is the metric here? Wins per year? Playoff showings per year? Playoff wins per year? Championships?

I mean I knew Vermiel was a great coach before we brought him back and he won us and himself a championship. For myself he didn't need to win it all for me to know with the right pieces he would get it done. But if I had put up a list he wouldn't have been at the top of it prior to winning it. So for me that championship is crucial. It's a top of the pyramid type indicator.

And the ironic thing here is that a coach does need the right pieces. Seasoned guys like Reid and Arians didn't win championships the first go-round in large part due to their QB situation. They get their second chance and boom. Reid recognized he needed to replace a solid QB with a better one in Mahomes. Arians went after Brady and got it done.

What is interesting with McVay is that he didn't need a second job to reload the QB position. He was dug in, or so it seemed, with Goff. Then boom he made a move that 99% of coaches don't have the clout or guts to make and reloaded the position. The risk in that move was severe. So for myself I see a guy who is definitely special among his peers in just his grasp of things beyond his years, as well as in terms of his guts to make bold moves with personnel based on who is performing and who is not. Nobody is safe. And IMO that is going to win him championships. Plural. It's coming. So I'm content to wait for him raising that thing before proclaiming him better than guys like Arians.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Basically the list is comprised of coaches who have made SB, and those who won are rated higher.
Exception being McDermott which is a bit silly, I'd put Flores ahead of McDermott at this point
Flores has too short of a track record.

Harbaugh and Tomlin have been more consistently good and Harbaugh did it without a top QB. But he has a great GM

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't have any probs keeping the younger coaches--including McVay--down a bit until they win that championship. But also I have to say that before you even make a list you have to put up a metric. What is the metric here? Wins per year? Playoff showings per year? Playoff wins per year? Championships?

I mean I knew Vermiel was a great coach before we brought him back and he won us and himself a championship. For myself he didn't need to win it all for me to know with the right pieces he would get it done. But if I had put up a list he wouldn't have been at the top of it prior to winning it. So for me that championship is crucial. It's a top of the pyramid type indicator.

And the ironic thing here is that a coach does need the right pieces. Seasoned guys like Reid and Arians didn't win championships the first go-round in large part due to their QB situation. They get their second chance and boom. Reid recognized he needed to replace a solid QB with a better one in Mahomes. Arians went after Brady and got it done.

What is interesting with McVay is that he didn't need a second job to reload the QB position. He was dug in, or so it seemed, with Goff. Then boom he made a move that 99% of coaches don't have the clout or guts to make and reloaded the position. The risk in that move was severe. So for myself I see a guy who is definitely special among his peers in just his grasp of things beyond his years, as well as in terms of his guts to make bold moves with personnel based on who is performing and who is not. Nobody is safe. And IMO that is going to win him championships. Plural. It's coming. So I'm content to wait for him raising that thing before proclaiming him better than guys like Arians.
Yes. Carroll has reloaded his WR group. But his LoB defense has really dropped off. He’s no guru. As Wagner declines it will be even more noticeable. He’s never found that Beast mode magic once Lynch was gone either.

The Ravens have been good as long as Harbaugh has been there.
Another component is assistants hired. I love most of the Rams assistant coaching choices. I can’t say the same about some of the others on the list.

As you said having the guts to make the bold moves is also a sign of good coaching. McVay has not been afraid to make them. Letting Bones and Wade go, hiring a young innovative LB coach as the DC are some examples. It’s not like he’s playing it safe or making moves because things suck. It’s about always getting better.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Let the record show...for Shanahan

Head coaching record
Regular season:29–35 (.453)
Postseason:2–1 (.667)
Career:31–36 (.463)
So i'm guessing he has the worst win/loss percentage of anyone else on this list?

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I got to meet Sean McDermott at a coaching clinic at Panthers stadium, back when he was
a DC at Carolina.
Nice guy, never would have guessed he would ascend so quickly into one of
the better HC's in the league. He has really changed the whole culture and expectations in Buffalo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carroll is 98-45-1 over the past nine seasons. His teams are physical and mentally tough; and consistently play to their ability. He’s an excellent coach who usually gets the best from his talent.

And I really don’t like him.

Your post has got a lot of stuff in it, and I agree on a number of your points.

Glad you mentioned John Schneider in passing because he’s had a lot to do with Seattle’s personnel decisions … both good (mostly) and bad.

I would rather have McVay for a number of reasons, including age. It’s a young person’s world, and a young man’s game.
AND Petey can be involved witha Top college program and can leave that team as they get prosecuted by the NCAA for violations and suspensions. He's a sweetheart coach!