Ranking NFL teams by age

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...oungest-Lions-are-the-oldest-Eagles-10th.html
Ranking NFL teams by age: Rams the youngest, Lions the oldest, Eagles 10th Jimmy Kempski, Philly.com Sports POSTED: Saturday, August 31, 2013, 9:19 PM

As of roughly 9pm on cut down day, when I finished collecting data from all 32 NFL team website rosters, the Rams had the youngest team in the NFL, as they did last year. The Lions are the oldest. By the time you read this, this data will already out of date as teams continue to make minor tweaks to their rosters. However, even with the continued roster movement, the average ages of each team shouldn’t change much.

Here are the results:

2njy.png

Also, one quick note: Every year I do this, I seem to get the same basic comment, which I'll address ahead of time. "The difference between the Rams and Lions is only 2.17 years. Big whoop." It most certainly is a big whoop. Keep in mind that these are the average ages of 53 players per team. 2.17 years on average * 53 players = A difference of 115 total years between the Rams and Lions. In other words, if you took the 23 oldest Lions and shaved 5 years off each of their ages, their roster would be the same age as the Rams.
Do you see what is wrong with this article?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, the math is completely flawed at the end there ...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Hilarious, right?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
Hilarious, right?
Yep. And if you multiply the average age of the youngest players on the Rams by 5, then THEY'RE the oldest team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Hilarious, right?
Yep. And if you multiply the average age of the youngest players on the Rams by 5, then THEY'RE the oldest team.
And if you divide that by 100, then you have the upper echelon of all the players in the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Another tricky thing about the age comparison is it not an exact correlation to years in the league.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
CGI_Ram said:
Another tricky thing about the age comparison is it not an exact correlation to years in the league.

Exactly, an example that i like to use for this point is that Rookie Margus Hunt is the same age as Amobi Okoye, who entered the league in 2007...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jsimcox said:
CGI_Ram said:

Exactly, an example that i like to use for this point is that Rookie Margus Hunt is the same age as Amobi Okoye, who entered the league in 2007...

Yep!

Locally, Robert Quinn is a young 23 (May 18, 1990)... entering his 3rd season!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jjab360 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Hilarious, right?
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. What's wrong with the OP's math?
Because it's so arbitrary and isn't at all applicable.

"... if you took the 23 oldest Lions and shaved 5 years off each of their ages, their roster would be the same age as the Rams."

You could also take 15 of the oldest Lions and shave 7.6 years off of their age and it would be the same.
Or take 6 of the oldest Lions and shave 19 years off their age.

Or take 53 of the oldest Lions and shave 2.1 years off their age. Which still wouldn't be the right way to calculate it, but at least it's closer to the truth. Not all rookies and 2nd year players are the same age, and it only takes one vet in his late 30's to skew the whole formula. David Akers alone is 38. The oldest Ram is Witherspoon at 33.