Ranking New Starting QBs and Their Potential for Success/Banks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
New to the job: Ranking new starting QBs and their potential for success
by Don Banks

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/01/new-starting-quarterbacks-rankings-tyrod-taylor-kirk-cousins

Posted: Tue Sep. 1, 2015

Now that Washington’s Kirk Cousins and Buffalo’s Tyrod Taylor have been named starters, that makes nine NFL teams that will open the season with a different quarterback atop the depth chart than the one that was considered the No. 1 at the close of the 2014 season. That number does not include either Tom Brady’s life in legal limbo in New England, or Carson Palmer’s return to health in Arizona after his season-ending knee injury last year, since neither situation represents a true change at the position.

But the spinning of the quarterback carousel for these nine teams, none of whom made the playoffs last year, is standard operating procedure. In 2014, all of them featured multiple starters at the game’s most pivotal position, with almost half of the list—four out of nine—slogging their way through the season with three different starting quarterbacks. So Week 1 assignments aside, no promises or projections should be made beyond mid-September.

Taking stock of the nine new No. 1’s, here’s our ranking of them in terms of the potential for their 2015 success—or lack thereof:

1. Sam Bradford, Philadelphia

So much for the oft-repeated theory that Bradford is at best a curious, and perhaps laughable, fit for Chip Kelly’s furiously-up-tempo offense. This season, Bradford has looked as if he’s been playing for Kelly since his Pop Warner days, with all four of the drives he led in August producing Eagles touchdowns. Bradford’s 10-of-10, 121 yard, three-touchdown showing against Green Bay on Saturday night—preseason or not—was the perfect sedative for all those jittery non-believers out there in Philly Nation. If he stays healthy, and we know that’s the biggest 'if' in the league this year, Bradford is going to be roll up some gaudy statistics and be the league’s slam-dunk Comeback Player of the Year in 2015.

• What’s on the way? A division title and a legitimate playoff run for the Bradford-led Eagles.

2. Marcus Mariota, Tennessee

Mariota’s impressive preseason showing has quieted a lot of the noise surrounding him as well. The issue of how he’ll transition from Oregon’s spread offense to Ken Whisenhunt’s pro style attack doesn’t seem quite as high a mountain to surmount these days, does it? He has been up the task in almost every way, sees the field very well, and has rarely looked like a rookie quarterback with the weight of a struggling franchise placed on his shoulders. This kid is the real deal and he’ll quickly become one of the stories of the young season when he and the Titans (spoiler alert!) go into Tampa Bay in Week 1 and out-play and out-point Jameis Winston and the Bucs. You heard it here first. I’m not predicting a Titans playoff run or anything crazy like that, but Mariota is my pick for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

• What’s on the way? With a strong first year from Mariota, the Titans find their franchise quarterback and everybody knows it.

3. Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo

With his zero career starts and just 35 pass attempts in four NFL seasons (all spent behind Joe Flacco in Baltimore), Taylor is easily the riskiest pick among the nine new starting quarterbacks. But the Bills went with him over the more experienced Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel because they’re focused on the potential reward. They see in Taylor a gifted athlete who can make creative plays outside the pocket and challenge a defense with his legs in ways Cassel and Manuel can’t. But if the Bills think they have the next Russell Wilson on their hands, they’re probably setting themselves up for a letdown. The defense and running game components in Buffalo might match Seattle’s blueprint, but we have no way of knowing yet if Taylor can take care of the football and make the necessary critical third down conversions when they arise.

• What’s on the way? Some thrills and highlight reel plays from Taylor, but some killer mistakes, too. Buffalo will keep Cassel loose in the bullpen at all times.

4. Nick Foles, St. Louis

If I had to choose between his mind-boggling success of that breakthrough 2013 season in Philadelphia (27 touchdown passes and just two interceptions) and the underwhelming and injury-shortened follow-up act with last year’s Eagles, I’d confidently predict the Rams are in line for more of the latter than the former. But Philadelphia did average almost 30 points per game last season and the Eagles were 6–2 in Foles’ eight starts, and those numbers would get a statue built in your honor in offensively-challenged St. Louis. Foles alone isn’t going turn the Rams into a juggernaut, but he’s a tough-minded player who will keep coming at you, and he’ll fare well enough to pass as a first-year success in the rugged NFC West. If the running game and defense provide what Jeff Fisher thinks they will provide, Foles will only have to do his part to keep the chains moving.

• What’s on the way? The Rams will flirt with .500 all season as Foles gives them their steadiest, most reliable starter since the end of the Marc Bulger era.

5. Brian Hoyer, Houston

I’m in the minority on this one, but I see Hoyer as an underrated talent who has better play-making, mobility and leadership skills than is widely recognized. I know the bottom dropped out on him in Cleveland last year in late November, but the Browns started 7–4 with him in the lineup and I’m not sneezing at any quarterback who can help deliver seven wins for the NFL’s most snake-bitten franchise. Like dog years, seven wins in Cleveland is worth 11 or 12 in almost any other league market. I don’t think Hoyer has enough weapons around him this year in Houston to do a lot of damage in the AFC South, especially without Texans running back Arian Foster to start the season, but with that defense as the team’s strength, Hoyer will play smartly enough to keep Bill O’Brien’s team in almost every game.

• What’s on the way? Hoyer gives the Texans a chance for competent season-long quarterbacking, but he won’t elevate them to playoff material this year.

6. Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
Pun intended, it was a break for the Jets when Geno Smith had his jaw cracked by then-teammate IK Enemkpali early last month. Because Fitzpatrick was going to wind up playing ahead of Smith at some point anyway this season, due to injury or ineffectiveness, so you might as well cut to the chase and see what the veteran can do for Gang Green. In reality though, I feel like we all know by now exactly what Fitzpatrick brings to a team. He’ll be solid. Occasionally superb. Sometimes sloppy. But overall, solid. And with a Jets team that hopes to beat teams up on defense and out-execute them on a Chan Gailey-coordinated offense, that might be just enough to muster something close to a .500 season.

• What’s on the way? The Jets are better off with the journeyman Fitzpatrick than riding the Geno-coaster, but not by that much.

7. Josh McCown, Cleveland

The Browns are convinced they’re getting more of the McCown circa 2013 in Chicago than 2014 in Tampa Bay, and I don’t disagree. The Bucs were a disaster on offense last year for the most part, but plenty of that was due to losing coordinator Jeff Tedford to a health issue just before the season started, with unproven quarterbacks coach Marcus Arroyo being asked to take over the play-calling. McCown, at 36, isn’t going to conjure up memories of Randall Cunningham’s late-career renaissance of 1998, but as the Bucs themselves just found out last weekend in Tampa, he can still play very efficiently, as his 17-of-23, 117-yard, two-touchdown performance in a Browns’ rout proved.

• What’s on the way? Much as they were for most of last season with Hoyer at quarterback, the Browns won’t be a pushover with McCown under center. Alas, they won’t be a playoff team either, but reside somewhere in the NFL’s murky in between.

8. Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay

Admittedly I might be letting Winston’s uneven preseason color my projection of his rookie season a bit too much. But every time I hear someone rave about how high Winston’s football IQ is, I keep coming back to the question of whether he will learn to take care of the football and make sound decisions, because if there’s anything that can make a young quarterback look dumb, it’s turnovers. Winston adds excitement and electricity to the game, and he’ll sparkle at times this season with his penchant for swinging for the fences. But if he doesn’t have enough early success playing that style of game, that tendency to alternate big plays and big mistakes can really wear poorly on a team, and frustrate his teammates and the fans. The best thing the Bucs could see out of Winston this season is a steady improvement and his learning what not to do to get you beat in the NFL.

• What’s on the way? The much more typical ups and downs and growing pains experienced by a rookie quarterback, in comparison to Winston’s quarterback classmate, Tennessee’s Marcus Mariota. Five wins sound about right in Tampa Bay.

9. Kirk Cousins, Washington

I’m fairly convinced Washington could be the league’s worst team this season, so I’m not giving Cousins much of a chance to avert the train wreck that appears to be on its way in our nation’s capital. Cousins has some skills, a nice passing touch and a pretty good grasp on Jay Gruden’s offense and where the plays are to be made in it. But his history is to get careless and start turning the ball over at times, and he won’t have this job for long if he throws interceptions as often as he did last year (nine in 204 attempts, for a dismal 4.4 INT rate). Cousins won’t be the biggest reason Washington struggles once again this season, and he is the best of Gruden’s three quarterback options at the moment. But would it surprise anyone if both Colt McCoy and Robert Griffin III each get starting shots again this season, as all three quarterbacks did in 2014?

• What’s on the way? It’s football season in D.C., and that means the forecast calls for steady doom and gloom, with intermittent false hope.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would question anyone who thinks Bradford is a bad fit for Chip Kelleys offense.
Bad fit only in that he may start running the read option....dude can't take hits like a college QB....or be running....Pocket passer only....

ram007

Starter
If you guys think eagles will be successful this year I don't blame you. Chip kelly offense has been figured out by DCs across the league. Remember the times Rams go 3-1 in preseason and we all thought they are going to super bowl that season. Yup Eagles fans v are v thinking the same this year

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If you guys think eagles will be successful this year I don't blame you. Chip kelly offense has been figured out by DCs across the league. Remember the times Rams go 3-1 in preseason and we all thought they are going to super bowl that season. Yup Eagles fans v are v thinking the same this year

Yes but they are averaging 40 points a game, and that running game will be the best in the NFL. They have some serious talent over there in Philly on offense.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bad fit only in that he may start running the read option....dude can't take hits like a college QB....or be running....Pocket passer only....
The read option is mostly BS anyway. Quick reads, no huddle out of the shotgun.

iced

Yes but they are averaging 40 points a game, and that running game will be the best in the NFL. They have some serious talent over there in Philly on offense.

And more importantly, great players at key parts of the line (LT and C)

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Mariota at 2?

I don't see that being a great situation for him at all. I mean, if you think he's going to be this transcendent talent, I guess I get it. But Sankey to me is not the answer at RB, Cobb was a ? before and now he's hurt, Harry Douglass is your #2 WR (and Kendall Wright is going to get anyone confused for Mike Evans)...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The read option is mostly BS anyway. Quick reads, no huddle out of the shotgun.
It is not a read option that Chip is running in Philly. Quick reads - yes. But the definition of read option is that the QB always has the option to run the ball as he did with Mariota. Clearly, the Iggles are not going to be running Sam out of the backfield. There will be a lot of shotgun play action and quick passes. Sam is VERY good at hiding the ball so he will likely be very successful if he can do what he has had the most difficult time doing and that is stay on the field.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mariota at 2?

I don't see that being a great situation for him at all. I mean, if you think he's going to be this transcendent talent, I guess I get it. But Sankey to me is not the answer at RB, Cobb was a ? before and now he's hurt, Harry Douglass is your #2 WR (and Kendall Wright is going to get anyone confused for Mike Evans)...

I predict Mariota to do very well. Sure the running game is a question mark but add DBG to that receiver list and he has something to work with. Mariota just seems to be the type that makes things workout. He is similar in that way to Luck or Rodgers, etc. That is my prediction anyway. I was impressed with him in our preseason game despite the Rams not showing up. He makes things happen

jjab360

Legend
...Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did this guy just say that Tyrod Taylor has a more likely shot of being succesful than Nick Foles? I'm going to assume I'm reading that wrong, because it's so laughable I wouldn't even know where to start an argument.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I predict Mariota to do very well. Sure the running game is a question mark but add DBG to that receiver list and he has something to work with. Mariota just seems to be the type that makes things workout. He is similar in that way to Luck or Rodgers, etc. That is my prediction anyway. I was impressed with him in our preseason game despite the Rams not showing up. He makes things happen

I'm not going to completely discount the possibility that Mariota is a transcendent talent - that is to say like a Luck, Rodgers, Brees, Brady or Peyton in that he can dramatically change the fortunes of your franchise singlehandedly...but I will say it seems to me unlikely.

Those guys are pretty rare.

I thought he was an excellent player at Oregon and I think he is a terrific QB prospect...but I think we just happen to be an era where we've witnessed some of the best QB play of all time and are maybe a little more used to it.

Some will probably suggest that the rules around the game create more opportunities for guys to reach that kind of level. Perhaps that's true. But I think we should also recognize that even now, in this glorified era of passing, we're still reaching this point where Brady and Peyton and Brees are nearing their curtain call and outside of Rodgers, Luck and maybe a Wilson here or there there doesn't seem to be anyone waiting in the wings to become that next guy.

Ryan Tannehill?

Teddy Bridgewater?

IDK.

Maybe that guy is Mariota. But it seems to me unlikely.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is not a read option that Chip is running in Philly. Quick reads - yes. But the definition of read option is that the QB always has the option to run the ball as he did with Mariota. Clearly, the Iggles are not going to be running Sam out of the backfield. There will be a lot of shotgun play action and quick passes. Sam is VERY good at hiding the ball so he will likely be very successful if he can do what he has had the most difficult time doing and that is stay on the field.

Okay this is the one thing that I don't understand. When Kelly hit the scene we got descriptions of his offense and how it works. It has many working parts all of which are scattered about the field and are integral yet separate at the same time. One key piece is the QBs option to run.

Then the second season was followed up by 'why it didn't work in year two'. The main reason is that teams quit worrying about Nick Foles running, because he couldn't. I think they called him cement shoes Foles in Philly. Now teams could put extra defenders in the field and it all breaks down. Throw in that even in the first Kelly season the good defenses still beat the Eagles. It was the bad ones that struggled against them.

So now throw Sam into the mix. How is he different than Nick? He is not a runner either. Plus he has bad pocket presence. He may be able to make his reads a bit better but when pressured we have seen him stray from that too and turn into 'Captain Checkdown'. We have also witnessed an inability of Sam to trust his receivers downfield. He loses confidence in them very quickly.

So how is a non running QB with bad pocket presence and trust issues going to masterfully orchestrate Kelly's offense? Everyone seems to think that Kelly can fix him and turn him into the number one overall pick that he was supposed to be. I think teams will catch up to him quickly when they realize that he is the same Sam that played in the Lou

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
...Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did this guy just say that Tyrod Taylor has a more likely shot of being succesful than Nick Foles? I'm going to assume I'm reading that wrong, because it's so laughable I wouldn't even know where to start an argument.

I questioned this too. How does Rex Ryan suddenly become the coach that can turn Tyrod Taylor into a star? Is it because he now has a good defense? He had that in New York and the results weren't great.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay this is the one thing that I don't understand. When Kelly hit the scene we got descriptions of his offense and how it works. It has many working parts all of which are scattered about the field and are integral yet separate at the same time. One key piece is the QBs option to run.

Then the second season was followed up by 'why it didn't work in year two'. The main reason is that teams quit worrying about Nick Foles running, because he couldn't. I think they called him cement shoes Foles in Philly. Now teams could put extra defenders in the field and it all breaks down. Throw in that even in the first Kelly season the good defenses still beat the Eagles. It was the bad ones that struggled against them.

So now throw Sam into the mix. How is he different than Nick? He is not a runner either. Plus he has bad pocket presence. He may be able to make his reads a bit better but when pressured we have seen him stray from that too and turn into 'Captain Checkdown'. We have also witnessed an inability of Sam to trust his receivers downfield. He loses confidence in them very quickly.

So how is a non running QB with bad pocket presence and trust issues going to masterfully orchestrate Kelly's offense? Everyone seems to think that Kelly can fix him and turn him into the number one overall pick that he was supposed to be. I think teams will catch up to him quickly when they realize that he is the same Sam that played in the Lou
Fix him is the wrong way to look at it IMO. You think Sam has bad pocket presence yet I would say that any QB would have bad pocket presence if he could count on slow developing plays and no time. Sam is very accurate, has a fast trigger, and is getting better at reading defenses. In a way, he is very Warneresque with weak knees and ankles.

The offense that Chip ran in Oregon is not really even all that similar to what I've seen him run in the NFL except that it is based on a somewhat spread, up tempo, and running the ball. A lot of people think Chip's offense at U of O was a lot of passing and wide open offense. Not the case. It was based on keeping the defense on it's heels and preventing them from clogging the LOS. Big front 7s always were difficult for the Ducks to run wild against.

The up tempo idea is also a bit of a myth. The Ducks routinely used almost every second of the play clock. They used a no huddle based on signaled plays from the sideline. The QB would hustle the O to the line so the defense could not substitute, then walk back and get the play from the sideline. They would generally only snap it early if they felt the D was not set. What wore defenses down was that they could not substitute regularly and they had to get into their stances and hold it for longer than normal.

What it appears Chip is doing is utilizing a smart QB that can do quick reads and disguise hand offs. I haven't watched enough of the Iggles to see if he is still using the entire play clock like he did at Oregon but I'm going to guess they are.

I had my doubts on Chip in the NFL. But I think he has tweaked his system and now pulled in the types of players to make it work. Is it going to work against playoff teams? I still have my doubts. But Sam has an opportunity to put up some gaudy numbers and if the defense is decent, that should result in a lot of wins.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree. I did not think so however during 2013. Mariota demonstrated the ability to be a pocket passer in 2014 and in reality was not playing in anything like a Chip Kelly offense. Mariota's passing yards went way up last year and his rushing averages went way down. Helfrich runs a more traditional offense. The rushing threat was biggest and most important inside the red zone. I think that may be the case in Tenn also.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree in total.
agree totally.
Obviously Chip isent gonna have Bradford running. If the offense takes off I fully expect teams to blitz the holy hell out of BrDford. If he can stand up to that it should be a good match.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I predict Mariota to do very well.
ahahahahahahah...Not you too Elm...We'll see...KC gave him a dose of kick-ass that we were supposed to hand him....He looked timid after LB Houston ran him down...Kinda looked like our QB last year....I do think DGB is a beast!
@RamFan503
My only thing with Chip, well a few things, he won with Andy's players...got rid of the best of them...So now, he rebuilt his defense, okay...Found new weapons, love Agholor...Murray may be spent...Kid from Diego...we'll see. OLine is okay except OG's...lets see how that works...But he never beat powerful teams in college...That's his legacy...Until he beats a really good defensive team, when it matters, that's all he'll ever be...A scheme coach...Using tricks & tempo to create mismatches...That means a team that can line up, stop his run game, he'll have to prove he's the coach he THINKS he is....Losing D-Jax, Maclin, and McCoy...Cole...man I bet they won't even be .500.