Ranking each NFL quarterback by accuracy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By TIM WEAVER -
February 10, 2016

http://cover32.com/2016/02/10/ranking-each-nfl-quarterback-by-accuracy/

Any idiot can throw the ball 40 yards down the field. It takes a real NFL quarterback to hit his target time and time again.

Accuracy remains the single most important quality that an NFL quarterback can have.

While many people believe the best QB in the NFL is the one with the best passer rating or the most touchdowns, today let’s rank them according to how accurate they threw the ball in 2015.

The formula we used to determine the rankings combines their completion rate and then adds in the percentage of throws that were dropped by their receivers, resulting in their adjusted accuracy percentage.

Completion numbers are courtesy of ESPN, drops via Sportingcharts.com.

1. Kirk Cousins
Completion rate: 69.8%
Dropped passes: 16 (2.95%)
Adjusted accuracy: 72.75%

2. Sam Bradford
Completion rate: 65%
Dropped passes: 33 (6.2%)
Adjusted accuracy: 71.2%

the rest here:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's interesting and in some cases surprising who had the worst accuracy rates. Cam Newton was 25th, Peyton Manning was 27th, Colin Kaepernick was 29th. Nick Foles was 31st and Andrew Luck came in dead last.

Of course this does not take into account pressure from the pass rush and the ability of receivers to run proper routes and get open.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
By TIM WEAVER -
February 10, 2016

Any idiot can throw the ball 40 yards down the field. It takes a real NFL quarterback to hit his target time and time again.

Accuracy remains the single most important quality that an NFL quarterback can have.

While many people believe the best QB in the NFL is the one with the best passer rating or the most touchdowns, today let’s rank them according to how accurate they threw the ball in 2015.

The formula we used to determine the rankings combines their completion rate and then adds in the percentage of throws that were dropped by their receivers, resulting in their adjusted accuracy percentage.

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Sam Bradford

the rest here:

You got your Bradford pajamas back from the cleaners didn'tcha.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You got your Bradford pajamas back from the cleaners didn'tcha.
giphy.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've always viewed Bradford as an accurate passer.

As the data shows, they all miss passes. But with Bradford, if he missed, it was just another thing to pile on... for some people.

I still contend, if the guy can stay healthy, he's got top 10 ability. But that's why he's not here any longer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I still contend, if the guy can stay healthy, he's got top 10 ability. But that's why he's not here any longer.
Well, that, and a killer instinct. He didn't have that, IMO. If he would have just been able to tell himself, "fuck it ... I'm just gonna drill it down there into that narrow window and see what happens", then who knows how much better he would have been. Personally, I think Spagnuolo and Fisher ruined the guy. "Be safe. Don't turn the ball over" was their mantras, it seemed. Would love to see Martz get ahold of the guy for a couple of years just to see what his TRUE potential really is.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I didn't read through the entire list but did it strike anyone else how many dropped passes Sam had? Is that lack of touch on his passes or on his receivers? I ask because it seemed to me that drops were a big problem when he was with the Rams as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't read through the entire list but did it strike anyone else how many dropped passes Sam had? Is that lack of touch on his passes or on his receivers? I ask because it seemed to me that drops were a big problem when he was with the Rams as well.
I dunno. That whole "he lacks touch" thing was the result of maybe 4 passes that were magnified in games over and over and over. I think it's a sad testimony when receivers need a ball to be thrown a certain way before they can catch them. Brett Favre had zero touch, and probably threw the hardest ball of any QB to play the game. I'd be interested to know how many drops his receivers had (on average) over the years. Probably pretty high. But he had one thing that Bradford doesn't. Favre played with reckless abandon and attacked all 3 levels of the field constantly.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's interesting and in some cases surprising who had the worst accuracy rates. Cam Newton was 25th, Peyton Manning was 27th, Colin Kaepernick was 29th. Nick Foles was 31st and Andrew Luck came in dead last.

Of course this does not take into account pressure from the pass rush and the ability of receivers to run proper routes and get open.
Or anything passed 5 yrds

fearsomefour

Legend
By TIM WEAVER -
February 10, 2016

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Sam Bradford

the rest here:
Lets take a moment to reflect back on posters making fun of Cousins and rejoicing at Foles replacing Bradford. Its right there in front of people to see....
anyway, I surrender on this too.
I am waiting for the yearly nonsensical calls for a running QB to start.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cousins had a historically low completion rate, I thought. Sounds like he really put it together this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting but I feel like the numbers are always a bit hollow without context and film review. But asking someone to do the film review to assess true accuracy for every QB in the NFL is unrealistic. I'd be most interested in seeing which guys throw balls in the strike-zone with the most consistency. IMO, that's what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's interesting but I feel like the numbers are always a bit hollow without context and film review. But asking someone to do the film review to assess true accuracy for every QB in the NFL is unrealistic. I'd be most interested in seeing which guys throw balls in the strike-zone with the most consistency. IMO, that's what separates the wheat from the chaff.
Absolutely. It directly correlates with YAC.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
This list is bullshit. Matt Cassel should be #1.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Well, that, and a killer instinct. He didn't have that, IMO. If he would have just been able to tell himself, "freak it ... I'm just gonna drill it down there into that narrow window and see what happens", then who knows how much better he would have been. Personally, I think Spagnuolo and Fisher ruined the guy. "Be safe. Don't turn the ball over" was their mantras, it seemed. Would love to see Martz get ahold of the guy for a couple of years just to see what his TRUE potential really is.
1000% true...Martz would change his mentality,and he was ruined.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he was the only QB over 6%. and only a couple were close to 5%. i was wondering the same thing..............foles had a 4.75% drop rate. (still higher than most) indicating either or bad passes / receivers in comparison.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It was and still is not about the passes Bradford throws he is accurate. It is a about the passes he doesn't throw he is conservative to a fault IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What are they considering as an accurate pass. I recall Sam being behind receivers on the crossing routes all the time. They often would catch the pass but they had to slow down to do it and reach back. To me that is not an accurate pass. Plus you have to consider distance of the throws, offensive line play and even offensive scheme. Sam was in a high percentage type passing attack.

Cousins is a good QB. But he is not a top QB yet he has the best percentage. That tells you that, when you are talking the difference of 4.3% it is not enough to outweigh the other things that good QBs do. That being said, I would gladly take Cousins on the Rams.

Lets take a moment to reflect back on posters making fun of Cousins and rejoicing at Foles replacing Bradford. Its right there in front of people to see....
anyway, I surrender on this too.
I am waiting for the yearly nonsensical calls for a running QB to start.

Well, in their defense Foles did throw 25 TDs and 2 Ints in one season. That is remarkable. Even Fisher and Snead were thinking he could regain his form. It is called hope. And up until this past season Cousins wasn't a proven commodity either....and came nowhere near Foles production. I said above I would take Cousins but at the same time I wonder if he would play as good for Fisher as he does for Gruden. Having an offensive minded coach that is good with QBs is probably helping his development.