Ranking all 32 NFL offensive lines entering Week 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/

31. Los Angeles Rams (31)

Starters: LT Greg Robinson, LG Roger Saffold, C Tim Barnes, RG Cody Wichmann, RT Rob Havenstein

The Rams are winning games, but it’s certainly not thanks to their offensive line, which has been playing poorly. LT Greg Robinson can probably safely be labeled a bust at this point, and has allowed 14 total pressures this season. He is currently the 75th-ranked OT at PFF, with a grade of 35.4. Rob Havenstein may be the best of the group this season, and his overall grade is just 72.1, with three of the five Rams’ O-line members grading lower than 53.0. RB Todd Gurley has gained just 2.6 yards per carry, and 193 of his 217 rushing yards have come after contact, meaning, on average, the blocking has gained him 0.3 yards before being hit, or just under a foot per rush.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yikes. Pretty much what my eyes tell me as well. How can this team still be so awful on the OL??? Coach Bou....I'm lookin at YOU!!!

TexasRam

Legend
Scheme and QB play dramatically affect the oline success. Again, 5 guys plus a TE can't block 9.

But Robinson is as bad as they report. When you actually turn on the film and carefully watch it is like watching a horror show. It's shocking and grotesque.

You don't notice it in real time but when you slow play Robinsons pass blocking it reminds me of that seen from the epic thriller "signs".

anigif_original-grid-image-14147-1424942428-13.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a young line. To some extent you gotta expect them to improve as the year goes on, and they have actually. Still...

I think Robinson's inability to handle a speed rush around the edge might put him on the bench at some point if he doesn't start to bounce back on that plus the dumb penalties. This game for example, which brings a 3-4 matchup and a very good speed rush off the edge. IF they elect to pull him they will slide Roger over and put Jamon in there at LG. Moving Robinson is risky because the guy doesn't handle multitasking well, so I think they'd keep him on the bench as the LT backup in that scenario. This is a big game for GRob.

Wichmann has been inconsistent too, but he is a second year OG who should improve week to week. They already have Brown breathing down his neck on the roster depth chart, though, so a change would not be too much a surprise depending on the matchup they have. Wichmann is better in pass pro, but inconsistent still. Brown's the opposite to my eye, better in run blocking, but inconsistent.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everytime there is a big play I first look for a flag and then wait for the ref to say holding #73 .

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
With the current lack of run blocking, I agree the Rams O-Line defaults to a bottom 10 ranking but 31st ?

I would like an honest assessment/ranking from @BonifayRam. I know Bon wont sugarcoat so I'm curious to see where he slots them after 4 games.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Interesting. Pass protection seems to have improved exponentially. It's just the run-blocking, which is no surprise as teams respect Gurley's game. Hopefully teams down the road will respect our passing game so Gurley can gash them for big runs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL has seemed fine pass blocking to me.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OL has seemed fine pass blocking to me.
Ditto! But they have to start run blocking better or Gurley may never see 100 yards rushing this year! It pains me to have to say this!!

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so this shÎt show called Greg Robinson is labeled a bust now. Bench his ass get scaffold to LT and brown in at guard.

At least we won't get constant dumb penalties from Saffold!

I haven't noticed consistently bad play from Greg this year. Would rather not make two positions worse by benching him.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I haven't noticed consistently bad play from Greg this year. Would rather not make two positions worse by benching him.
Really? Wow. Don't see how anybody can say he's not playing badly this year. Dudes allowing pressures and giving up penalties constantly. Going to start calling him Greg Barron if he keeps this up!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
There is no way Robinson has allowed 14 pressures. We'd all be calling for his head. Our pass blocking has been quite good this year, from all parts of the line. There have been a few pressures for sure.... but that's to be expected going up against defenses like Arizona and Seattle already. I'd be curious what PFF classifies as a "pressure" because they must have a pretty low threshold.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Robinson had a few really bad plays against the Cardinals, but I thought he was pretty decent overall this year until last week.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There is no way Robinson has allowed 14 pressures. We'd all be calling for his head. Our pass blocking has been quite good this year, from all parts of the line. There have been a few pressures for sure.... but that's to be expected going up against defenses like Arizona and Seattle already. I'd be curious what PFF classifies as a "pressure" because they must have a pretty low threshold.

Yeah, that number stuck out like a cockroach on a white wedding cake. I'd really like to know how they classify a pressure (and whether they consider a QB hanging onto the ball for too long as negating a pressure). If he had really given up that many, everybody would have noticed and nobody would be defending his play.

As far as his "bonehead" penalties against the Cards this past Sunday, the holding call was very marginal - and the kind that higher rated OT's get away with all the time against the Rams (especially against Quinn). On the ineligible downfield penalty, it was a broken play, and if I recall correctly, he wasn't the only guy downfield, he was just the one that got called. Hardly unforgivable the way that play went down though.

The worst play was allowing Chandler Jones to get in and cause the fumble, but Chandler Jones is a very good DE whom will get those plays sometimes against even the best OT's.

GRob still has plenty of room to improve, but I'm not buying that he's the liability some are saying. He's just the latest whipping boy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I
With the current lack of run blocking, I agree the Rams O-Line defaults to a bottom 10 ranking but 31st ?

I would like an honest assessment/ranking from @BonifayRam. I know Bon wont sugarcoat so I'm curious to see where he slots them after 4 games.

First off I should begin with this ....I am not for any changes at the moment. I still think this OL can grade out better as Case & the receivers improve. That is the major problem overall with this offense. The next thing you will see when reviewing the past four games is the 9 defenders crowding the LOS. Hard to really get a full performance check on the five OL'ers with so much incoming clutter flying around.

The next thing I would suggest is for anyone who wants to toot Greg Robinson's horn of improvement this season :cautious:...I would suggest that you go watch just the first half of the Cards game it was well into the first quarter around with 3 minutes left before our OLT made a fairly decent block. You will quickly see just un-tootable Robinson really is at the moment he is far from a force in our OL. I have no issues stating that I still consider him the overall weak link of this OL. Robinson is just ineffective on a lot of his blocks & looks uninterested in maintaining them & just falls off real early. Robinson could learn something from watching old film of retired Ram OL'er Harvey Dahl film of seasons past.

If your dead set on doing some monkeying around trying to find some improvement you will have to start with our starting OLT. But I would not go there until the bye week. I am sure I would not mess with the right side OL at all Barnes-Wichmann- Havenstein are working hard & trying to do the right thing its just hard blocking so many defenders. At this point the first change I might consider would be to bench Robinson & insert Saffold in @ OLT. Insert Jamon Brown into the OLG post with Saffold. I let Robinson sit for a bit & re-evaluate analyze the two changes after a few weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Last edited:

Debacled

Starter
They may not be giving up many sacks, but they are allowing pressure at a pretty high rate. The fact that it seems the majority of throws (less of an issue in the past couple games here) have been quick throws just at the LOS or barely past it kinda help keep the pressure/sack numbers down.

Bottom line is teams still aren't treating the passing attack as a threat and the line cannot seem to get out of their own way on running plays. That rushing average number should stick out like a gorilla in the room. It is a young group, but they need to provide more.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scheme and QB play dramatically affect the oline success. Again, 5 guys plus a TE can't block 9.

But Robinson is as bad as they report. When you actually turn on the film and carefully watch it is like watching a horror show. It's shocking and grotesque.

You don't notice it in real time but when you slow play Robinsons pass blocking it reminds me of that seen from the epic thriller "signs".
Scott Barrett @ScottBarrettDFB

It doesn't look like "stacked boxes" are entirely to blame for Todd Gurley's disappointing start. 11 RBs have faced stacked boxes more often pic.twitter.com/PWaPiWCmYB

10:54 AM - 3 Oct 2016

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? Wow. Don't see how anybody can say he's not playing badly this year. Dudes allowing pressures and giving up penalties constantly. Going to start calling him Greg Barron if he keeps this up!

Keenum was barely pressured against Seattle and Tampa Bay. Even against Arizona, Greg had a few plays where Chandler Jones got the better of him, but Keenum had solid protection overall and a lot of plays where he had ample time.

He's giving up penalties because the refs give him no BOTD. It's like Ogletree getting a personal foul every time he breathes on a QB.