Ranking all 32 NFL offensive line units ahead of the 2021 season - Rams #8

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ranking all 32 NFL offensive line units ahead of the 2021 season​

8. LOS ANGELES RAMS

Last year at this time, we were trying to figure out how the Rams' offensive line fell so flat in 2019. Regardless, the unit rectified things in 2020 and finished third in PFF's final rankings.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth is still going strong, even at 39 years old heading into the 2021 season. He graded out at 86.8 last season, the sixth-best mark in the NFL, though he did miss seven weeks of action and struggled in the playoff loss to the Packers. Whitworth is one of the best tackles of his generation, still performing at a high level when many of his peers have been retired for years.

Right tackle Rob Havenstein enjoyed a bounceback 2020 after an uncharacteristically poor 2019. His 80.6 overall grade tied for 14th, which is more in line with his 83.3 mark that was posted in 2018. It’s his 50.9 grade in 2019 that is the outlier at this point.

David Edwards had a strong second season at left guard, grading out at 70.5 overall — 18th-best among guards. Right guard Austin Corbett experienced the classic third-year breakout en route to a 73.4 overall grade that ranked 11th in the league. He still has room to improve in pass protection, where his 61.5 grade ranked just 43rd.

Brian Allen returns as the starting center. We last saw him in 2019 when he graded out at just 58.6 overall, including a 45.4 grade in pass protection. He’s replacing the departed Austin Blythe, who was solid in 2020.

The Rams have the pieces to rank as one of the league’s best offensive lines as long as they stay healthy.

REST OF THE LIST

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Brian Allen returns as the starting center. We last saw him in 2019 when he graded out at just 58.6 overall, including a 45.4 grade in pass protection. He’s replacing the departed Austin Blythe, who was solid in 2020.
Except that Corbet is likely our center this season - not Allen.

It's entirely possible the coaches actually like who they have even though most of us wanted them to draft O-line help - me included. Fingers crossed that this group can put it all together and stay healthy.

Tano

Legend
Except that Corbet is likely our center this season - not Allen.

It's entirely possible the coaches actually like who they have even though most of us wanted them to draft O-line help - me included. Fingers crossed that this group can put it all together and stay healthy.
As long as Corbett can hold pass rushers a split second longer than Blythe did on 3rd down and long - we should be good to go

dang

Legend
As long as Corbett can hold pass rushers a split second longer than Blythe did on 3rd down and long - we should be good to go
Corbett playing Center at a B/B- grade vs Blythe at his C/C- grade will result in much improvement.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So how useful is the analysis and opinion of Steve Palazzolo of PFF if he does not realize the the Rams' current intention is to have Corbett move to center?

Steve is a former minor league BASEBALL player who joined PFF in 2011.

I realize the PFF has become this acknowledged "Source" for NFL analysis.

Just have not yet figured-out what makes it a "Quality" source.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So how useful is the analysis and opinion of Steve Palazzolo of PFF if he does not realize the the Rams' current intention is to have Corbett move to center?

Steve is a former minor league BASEBALL player who joined PFF in 2011.

I realize the PFF has become this acknowledged "Source" for NFL analysis.

Just have not yet figured-out what makes it a "Quality" source.
And that high five emoji I gave you is one of those high fives where you pretend like you don't know the guy and you might be getting ready to fight him and then as you pass by each other you hit each other's hands really high and hard and then keep on walking.

It was NOT just a regular high-five.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Corbs not being pushed back onto the QB's feet like Blythe represents big improvement. So I think they will be a better unit on that alone.

Then the competition at RG should help too. I expect Anchrum to show well in camp and win that swing OT job at the least. But I figure he pushes Evans in competition too.

Main fear is if Whit misses time. But we are above average in terms of pieces. Top ten if everything goes well.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember sandlot football…maybe Stafford can hike it to himself
GIF by Entertainment Tonight