Randy Moss to Jerry Rice: 'I stand by my statement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Marc Sessler | Around the League Writer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132723/article/randy-moss-to-jerry-rice-i-stand-by-my-statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -statement</a>

[nfl]0ap2000000132264[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000132264/Moss-I-m-the-greatest-receiver-to-ever-play-this-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20000 ... -this-game</a>

NEW ORLEANS -- One day after Randy Moss proclaimed himself the best receiver in the history of the game, the San Francisco 49ers wideout responded to criticism from the other guy in this debate: Hall of Fame pass-catcher Jerry Rice.

Rice shot back Tuesday, saying he was "very surprised" Moss called himself the "greatest" of all time.

"You'd never hear me say I'm the greatest football player to ever play the game," Rice told ESPN, via Yahoo! Sports. "I let my body of work speak for itself, and I think I was able to be very productive on the football field."

Rice pointed to his own gaudy numbers -- 22,895 receiving yards and 197 touchdowns through the air -- and three Super Bowl rings, but Moss doesn't view the debate through that lens.

"What I said was what I felt," Moss said. "Like I said, I don't want to get in a shouting match with Jerry Rice or anybody. I mean that's my own personal opinion. I mean there's people that think just because he has the numbers, that he's the greatest, but I don't believe in numbers. I really don't."

Added Moss: "What I think, is what I think ... I changed the game. I'm not really trying to make it all about me. I just made a statement and I stand by my statement, so I'm gonna leave it at that."

Best receiver in NFL history? There hasn't been much debate here. Rice has stood as the clear answer for forever and a day, but Moss simply doesn't agree.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No ... you're not.

I do believe that he changed the complexion of the game though. He was the kind of receiver that could allow a QB to just chuck the ball up in the air and feel good about his chances that he could come down with it. He made Daunte Culpepper a household name for a while there.

But it takes MUCH more than that to be the best receiver of all time. If he doesn't think numbers are a compelling factor, then I'd sure like to hear what he thinks IS the defining quality that makes him the best of all time. Isn't his character. Isn't the numbers. Isn't his dedication. Isn't his work ethic. Isn't his sportsmanship. Isn't his catch %. So ... what makes him the best of all time?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
One. Trick. Pony. Granted, it was a hell of a trick back in the day, but he was NEVER a versatile WR. Almost a liability at times when he would sandbag a route because he knew he wasn't getting the ball. Think THAT won't tip a defense off in this league?

Ram_of_Old

Ray Lewis and Randy Moss in the Super Bowl. Can it get any lower?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If he worked hard, like Rice and some other guys did, he might have had a shot. But he didn't so he isn't the GOAT. It's sad for him that not putting in 100% got him into top 5 of all time in my opinion. It highlights his laziness.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Randy Moss is probably one of the laziest, most selfish players to ever put on a uniform. If he gave even half of a shit about playing hard, he'd have a point, but right now? No fucking way this clown is the greatest receiver of all time. I'd take Bruce or Holt over him any day and especially Sunday.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Memento said:
Randy Moss is probably one of the laziest, most selfish players to ever put on a uniform. If he gave even half of a shit about playing hard, he'd have a point, but right now? No fucking way this clown is the greatest receiver of all time. I'd take Bruce or Holt over him any day and especially Sunday.

Same here -- Moss is a punk-ass bitch.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram_of_Old said:
YES! One of them is going to WIN the SB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
interference said:
Ram_of_Old said:

One of them already has.

I'm going for the Ravens b/c of 2 guys: Ray Rice and Haloti Ngata.

Ram_of_Old

interference said:
Ram_of_Old said:

Oh please! Tell me it is a nightmare from which I will awake! :nono:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good thing he doesn't believe in numbers, because 99.9% of the entire world disagrees with him including fans of the team he's playing for.

jap

Legend
TK42-RAM said:
Bruce >>>> Moss

When rookie Randy Moss prepared to play his first NFL game, he stated that the only two receivers he respected were Jerry Rice and teammate Cris Carter. It seems like the few times the Rams played the Vikes since that time, Isaac quietly set out to shut up young Randy as the good Reverend consistently outplayed both Randy and Cris. Of particular note was the 1999 Divisional playoff game where the explosive Vikes were supposedly set to shut down the upstart GSOT Rams. I guess Randy simply insists on being a trash talking blowhard even up to this day with his career rapidly approaching its sunset. :twisted: :lol: