Random Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
Instead of me posting a bunch of one sentence additions to the many topics out there I thought I'd just take a stab at my takes knowing that a lot of this has been covered previously but not wanting to write a war and peace post either.

-The OL held up pretty well. Rarely were they put in a position where they had to do much more than run block or hold up for 2-3 seconds on pass plays. I AM disappointed with Robinson not so much that he is still somewhat raw and learning (I think he has the chance to be really good) more that he just seems to be timid and thinking too much. I hope there is a tiger inside of him and he starts imposing his will on plays instead of just reacting.

-This is a game we would have lost last year. There are always games each season that you say you "should" have won but the fact we were able to overcome some really negative stuff starting with the Hawk punt return and then the disaster 3rd quarter we've all seen too often previously is impressive. In prior years there were a lot of "could have won this game" or "really proud how we fought back" but the end result was still a loss. In this case it was a win and frankly we deserved it because we were the better team. I want this team to never be out of a game. BUT, I also want this team to close out games where they clearly are the better team. Too many times the Rams have seemed dominant and yet come 4th quarter or last drive the other team is still in it.

-Little things on offense- The little 3rd down catch Austin made late in the game was key. It was a simple 6(?) yard completion but it kept the chains going. Playmakers need to be able to do the little things as well and he did it as a legit WR and not some game changing play. Same with the 3rd and 15 to Britt who worked open and got past the sticks. Same with Benny, taking a check down and willing himself past the sticks. These are the little things that keep drives alive.

-Defensively I was so impressed with both the team speed to the ball as well as the gang tackling. People can rip on Wilson all they want but he can make you look stupid if it is just one defender. The Rams were great at keeping gap containment, funneling him to the inside and having 2-4 players run to the ball. Same with Lynch. The yards this guy gets with guys draped all over him are amazing but at least defenders weren't out on an island with guys this good as we've seen previously.

-Very impressed with the DBs. Roberson came in and did a really good job. IF he becomes an EJ Gaines JR we have a really nice secondary. Jenkins might want to actually use his arms and body when he tries to tackle however :{

-The Rams played with controlled aggression. In the past when Seattle would run that reverse field boot with Wilson it was 100% successful. This time they didn't bite and had someone there to cover him and limit it to small or no gains. It always looked like they had a spy and to me most instances it was Barron. This team can be great if they play within the system and aren't suckers for boots or play action. They really showed discipline this game in their assignments.

-I've always been a pro-Bradford guy and Do NOT want to turn this into a Bradford thread but Foles has some type of moxie that makes me believe he can deliver at key points in the game. He may not always be pretty but he has a sense about him about just getting what needs to be done.

- I would't play Gurley this week. IF they think he is 100% play him next week and bring Mason in. I was really impressed with Cunningham. He has the "it" factor that I always envied watching other teams and having a guy like that. Not pretty but just gets the job done. I love guys like that.

-I probably have 100 more but the last thing is-----PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE HYPE. Anyone thinking going into Washington and putting an automatic W in the win column is foolish. This Ram team is bi-polar to the max. They need to go into this game and play like they did vs Seattle minus some of the mistakes. Me personally, I'd stack 8 in the box all day and make stopping Morris my number 1-4 priority. If Cousins can beat you through the air then tip your hat to him, but to me, he is what he is, a serviceable QB and nothing more. The more 3rd and longs and tough situations you put him into plays right into this defense's hands. Stop Morris and take your chances.

Sorry for the babble and the fact a lot of this was talked about in numerous threads before.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good takes. I would however, not agree with stacking the box that much unless their running game proves unstoppable. This defense needs to remain loose and attacking while maintaining gaps. This front seven doesn't need safety help against the run - especially if they get the stop on first down.

The players better not be looking past WA. This is a pretty decent team and we have watched our own Rams beat teams they supposedly shouldn't have. The better team on the field gets beat every Sunday. Let's not let that game be ours. But I don't think they will do that. This team seems to recognize they are better than that team that showed up last season and I think they all know they need to prove it each week.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Instead of me posting a bunch of one sentence additions to the many topics out there I thought I'd just take a stab at my takes knowing that a lot of this has been covered previously but not wanting to write a war and peace post either.

-The OL held up pretty well. Rarely were they put in a position where they had to do much more than run block or hold up for 2-3 seconds on pass plays. I AM disappointed with Robinson not so much that he is still somewhat raw and learning (I think he has the chance to be really good) more that he just seems to be timid and thinking too much. I hope there is a tiger inside of him and he starts imposing his will on plays instead of just reacting.

-This is a game we would have lost last year. There are always games each season that you say you "should" have won but the fact we were able to overcome some really negative stuff starting with the Hawk punt return and then the disaster 3rd quarter we've all seen too often previously is impressive. In prior years there were a lot of "could have won this game" or "really proud how we fought back" but the end result was still a loss. In this case it was a win and frankly we deserved it because we were the better team. I want this team to never be out of a game. BUT, I also want this team to close out games where they clearly are the better team. Too many times the Rams have seemed dominant and yet come 4th quarter or last drive the other team is still in it.

-Little things on offense- The little 3rd down catch Austin made late in the game was key. It was a simple 6(?) yard completion but it kept the chains going. Playmakers need to be able to do the little things as well and he did it as a legit WR and not some game changing play. Same with the 3rd and 15 to Britt who worked open and got past the sticks. Same with Benny, taking a check down and willing himself past the sticks. These are the little things that keep drives alive.

-Defensively I was so impressed with both the team speed to the ball as well as the gang tackling. People can rip on Wilson all they want but he can make you look stupid if it is just one defender. The Rams were great at keeping gap containment, funneling him to the inside and having 2-4 players run to the ball. Same with Lynch. The yards this guy gets with guys draped all over him are amazing but at least defenders weren't out on an island with guys this good as we've seen previously.

-Very impressed with the DBs. Roberson came in and did a really good job. IF he becomes an EJ Gaines JR we have a really nice secondary. Jenkins might want to actually use his arms and body when he tries to tackle however :{

-The Rams played with controlled aggression. In the past when Seattle would run that reverse field boot with Wilson it was 100% successful. This time they didn't bite and had someone there to cover him and limit it to small or no gains. It always looked like they had a spy and to me most instances it was Barron. This team can be great if they play within the system and aren't suckers for boots or play action. They really showed discipline this game in their assignments.

-I've always been a pro-Bradford guy and Do NOT want to turn this into a Bradford thread but Foles has some type of moxie that makes me believe he can deliver at key points in the game. He may not always be pretty but he has a sense about him about just getting what needs to be done.

- I would't play Gurley this week. IF they think he is 100% play him next week and bring Mason in. I was really impressed with Cunningham. He has the "it" factor that I always envied watching other teams and having a guy like that. Not pretty but just gets the job done. I love guys like that.

-I probably have 100 more but the last thing is-----PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE HYPE. Anyone thinking going into Washington and putting an automatic W in the win column is foolish. This Ram team is bi-polar to the max. They need to go into this game and play like they did vs Seattle minus some of the mistakes. Me personally, I'd stack 8 in the box all day and make stopping Morris my number 1-4 priority. If Cousins can beat you through the air then tip your hat to him, but to me, he is what he is, a serviceable QB and nothing more. The more 3rd and longs and tough situations you put him into plays right into this defense's hands. Stop Morris and take your chances.

Sorry for the babble and the fact a lot of this was talked about in numerous threads before.

You make a lot of good points in this well thought-out post. I'm really hoping you're right about GRob's problem being "thinking too much", as I feel he's a big key for us. The number of times we went the length of the field to score TD's was very impressive to me; IIRC, the tying TD drive was 75 - 80yds was it not? Finally, totally agree about the Redskins game, it's not going to be easy and we have to stop Morris. This would be a big win for us and could erase our Jekyl/Hyde playing style.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree with lots of what you said.

I still have a nagging feeling that because Foles threw that last TD off his back foot and it was underthrown that Kam Chancellor would have had a LOT different play on it. Dunno how it plays out, but Foles can't keep underthrowing guys.

He underthrew guys twice and instead of what could have been two INTs had they ball been played correctly, we got a non-call on a clear PI on Sherman and a TD because Dion fell down.

I'm LOVING what we have in Foles. That said, it's pretty clear Foles underthrows the deeper throws when there's pressure. He throws off of his back foot. A DC can bait him into a bad INT just by throwing an overload blitz at him not designed to get home, but simply to put him on his back foot. They pressure the short passes and bait the deep ball. When it's underthrown, the safety plays Centerfield for the INT.

Now... if *I* can see this... I'm sure a DC who's job it is to stop the Rams at some point will see this...

In that situation, Foles has to be able to step up and make the throw properly or... throw it away. That back foot throw is gonna cost the Rams. It's one of the things that took the shine off for Chip Kelly.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Always nice to see you Mulder........hope you are well and I love your posts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with lots of what you said.

I still have a nagging feeling that because Foles threw that last TD off his back foot and it was underthrown that Kam Chancellor would have had a LOT different play on it. Dunno how it plays out, but Foles can't keep underthrowing guys.

He underthrew guys twice and instead of what could have been two INTs had they ball been played correctly, we got a non-call on a clear PI on Sherman and a TD because Dion fell down.

I'm LOVING what we have in Foles. That said, it's pretty clear Foles underthrows the deeper throws when there's pressure. He throws off of his back foot. A DC can bait him into a bad INT just by throwing an overload blitz at him not designed to get home, but simply to put him on his back foot. They pressure the short passes and bait the deep ball. When it's underthrown, the safety plays Centerfield for the INT.

Now... if *I* can see this... I'm sure a DC who's job it is to stop the Rams at some point will see this...

In that situation, Foles has to be able to step up and make the throw properly or... throw it away. That back foot throw is gonna cost the Rams. It's one of the things that took the shine off for Chip Kelly.
Depends a lot on the separation the receiver has. If he is wide open, a QB is going to tend to make a safer throw. While he waited too long on the throw to TA, I think he still knew Dick had no play on the ball. And to Kendricks? fuhgetabout it. He dropped that pass right in there to Baily, and there were a couple other passes he threw knowing he would get whacked yet he made the play. I like that he is going to rely on the receivers to make a play at times. It may result in a few INTs but you gotta break some eggs if you want to make a shechicken omelette.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I love random thoughts. Thanks!

Great points. It was impressive how well the ol played overall. They shows a lot of poise on offense. And as you say moxy. We are gonna score, dammit! Everybody talks about Kam Chancellor being out. So were a few big guys on our side. But we beat the legion of the doomed with the likes of Benny Cunningham and Stedman Bailey on Richard Sherman. This team has attitude now. The defense is sick and Roberson stepped up. With Tavon always a threat on special teams this team can beat anyone. And it only should get better... I think i wet myself a little.

Year of the Ram!!!!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Poor Bam Bam Cunningham had a lot of doubters this offseason. The dude's stats speak for themselves and I was thrilled with his performance. If the kid from Middle Tennessee (I think that's right) can come up in big spots for this team, I can't wait to see Mason and eventually Gurley.

I'm with you though, no need to rush him back. Cunningham and Mason can tote the rock the next few weeks just fine. I'd love to have a pair of fresh legs come out after the bye.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The dude's stats speak for themselves and I was thrilled with his performance
I agree that his performance was good, but the problem is the stats don't speak for it. His role in the passing game was awesome, but he only had 2.8 yards per carry. The Rams can't be satisfied with 76 yards rushing. Underneath the stats, the real story is Benny was better than his numbers when considering the context and the opponent. Benny did what the Rams needed and gave a spark just at the right times it seemed.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Its gonna be a streetfight in the trenches this week in an away game with a full stadium and everyone seems that its up to them to step up. Love the TEAM attitude from just one game. I fully believe it carries over and the gang tackling along with QB leadership getting us into the right play and I'm sure Barnes will not be so nervous to not get the snap right while the play is being changed. I'm sure we made changes so that does'nt happen again. We will have new hero's this week and it seemed everyone was in on the win last week, so I expect everyone wanting to BE THE GUY who makes it happen one week at a time . This bunch ain't buyin the HYPE. WE DEEP and WE COMIN ANGRY with as few penalties as possible. NO INJURIES!!!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Very good post my old friend! I hope life is treating you well!.