Random Thoughts TC 7/29

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Howdy folks! Nice day at Rams TC, temp in the mid 80's.. Good turnout, I'd say a couple thousand fans here. I'm not going to rehash what already has been posted in other threads, just some of my observations I think worth noting. I'll be at TC Monday and hopefully the players will be in full pads and we can start seeing what they do when it really counts.

Players looked upbeat and energetic. I watched the OL group as I first came in. They worked on technique and hand placement. Whit and Sully did as much coaching as Kromer. Not as much standing around as with Boudreau last year. Lots of reps against DL.

Next I watched QB's take snaps from under C (a coach) and WR's going out for 15-20 yd sideline passes with DB's covering. Goff and Mannion looked sharp and got the ball out quick. Orlosvsky is clearly just a camp arm. Wood, Kupp, Austin, Cooper and Spruce all got separation and caught passes. Hill, Roby-Coleman, and Gaines did a good job covering. (didn't see Tru in the drill) McVay very intent and lots of interaction with QB's and WR's. Did not see Thomas on the field. (doesn't mean he wasn't, just not in that drill).

After the first hour they moved to the south field and started 11on 11. First team OL- Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Havenstien and Brown. Backfield of Goff, Gurley, Brown, TE Higbee and Harkey . WR's Austin, Wood, Kupp. Defense Brockers, Easley and Westbrook on DL, Barwin, Barron, Ogletree, and Quinn at LB, Tru, Gaines, Hill DB, Mo and Joyner S, all played with 1st team D. They ran about 5 or 6 snaps and then the 2nd team came on, and then 3rd team. So many substitutions with 2nd and 3rd team its hard to say who's in front of who.on the depth chart. I'm sure McVay was just trying to get everyone reps.

Running plays mixed with passes. Very spirited and players played with intensity. Defense got the best of the O, but the O got some good plays. Woods stood out.. Got a TD from Goff. Austin looked determined, did quite a bit of jawing with DB's after plays. Mannion did well with the 2nd team. He looks like he's getting set faster and getting the ball out faster. McVay giving him kudos. Didn't see a lot of dropped balls. Cooper and Spruce with 2nd team and got several targets.

End of practice at 5:00pm after only 2 hrs, but they practiced hard without much letup. I thought it was a good 1st day. McVay and the other coaches were very much into coaching and the players seemed eager. A better practice than the 1st day last year under Fisher. Not near as much standing around.

Blythe, 2nd team C, really looked strong to me. He got a lot of kudos for standing up the DL. Just the 1st day on and no pads but the OL looks to be miles ahead of last year. They all stayed and did work on technique while the press conference was going on. The only position group that stayed and did extra work together. Woods, Cooper, Kupp and Spruce looked good running routes and getting open. Austin, due to his hand injury, looks a little behind. DB's played the Wr's right off the line, ( a pleseant change?)

I'm sure I missed mentioning something and it will come back after I post this. I couldn't watch everything and I saw some players who did well but I didn't know their # so couldn't give them props. I'll be more prepared Monday with roster and voice recorder to take notes.

I really liked what I saw (especially after my 3rd beer) and can't wait to see them in pads.

Until Monday :help::yay:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Sounds like Gaines is ahead of Webster for that spot across from Tru. Very interesting.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Howdy folks! Nice day at Rams TC, temp in the mid 80's.. Good turnout, I'd say a couple thousand fans here. I'm not going to rehash what already has been posted in other threads, just some of my observations I think worth noting. I'll be at TC Monday and hopefully the players will be in full pads and we can start seeing what they do when it really counts.

Players looked upbeat and energetic. I watched the OL group as I first came in. They worked on technique and hand placement. Whit and Sully did as much coaching as Kromer. Not as much standing around as with Boudreau last year. Lots of reps against DL.

Next I watched QB's take snaps from under C (a coach) and WR's going out for 15-20 yd sideline passes with DB's covering. Goff and Mannion looked sharp and got the ball out quick. Orlosvsky is clearly just a camp arm. Wood, Kupp, Austin, Cooper and Spruce all got separation and caught passes. Hill, Roby-Coleman, and Gaines did a good job covering. (didn't see Tru in the drill) McVay very intent and lots of interaction with QB's and WR's. Did not see Thomas on the field. (doesn't mean he wasn't, just not in that drill).

After the first hour they moved to the south field and started 11on 11. First team OL- Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Havenstien and Brown. Backfield of Goff, Gurley, Brown, TE Higbee and Harkey . WR's Austin, Wood, Kupp. Defense Brockers, Easley and Westbrook on DL, Barwin, Barron, Ogletree, and Quinn at LB, Tru, Gaines, Hill DB, Mo and Joyner S, all played with 1st team D. They ran about 5 or 6 snaps and then the 2nd team came on, and then 3rd team. So many substitutions with 2nd and 3rd team its hard to say who's in front of who.on the depth chart. I'm sure McVay was just trying to get everyone reps.

Running plays mixed with passes. Very spirited and players played with intensity. Defense got the best of the O, but the O got some good plays. Woods stood out.. Got a TD from Goff. Austin looked determined, did quite a bit of jawing with DB's after plays. Mannion did well with the 2nd team. He looks like he's getting set faster and getting the ball out faster. McVay giving him kudos. Didn't see a lot of dropped balls. Cooper and Spruce with 2nd team and got several targets.

End of practice at 5:00pm after only 2 hrs, but they practiced hard without much letup. I thought it was a good 1st day. McVay and the other coaches were very much into coaching and the players seemed eager. A better practice than the 1st day last year under Fisher. Not near as much standing around.

Blythe, 2nd team C, really looked strong to me. He got a lot of kudos for standing up the DL. Just the 1st day on and no pads but the OL looks to be miles ahead of last year. They all stayed and did work on technique while the press conference was going on. The only position group that stayed and did extra work together. Woods, Cooper, Kupp and Spruce looked good running routes and getting open. Austin, due to his hand injury, looks a little behind. DB's played the Wr's right off the line, ( a pleseant change?)

I'm sure I missed mentioning something and it will come back after I post this. I couldn't watch everything and I saw some players who did well but I didn't know their # so couldn't give them props. I'll be more prepared Monday with roster and voice recorder to take notes.

I really liked what I saw (especially after my 3rd beer) and can't wait to see them in pads.

Really nice report BubbaRamFan, keep up the great work!(y)(y) " And make sure they know to keep the ' Beer Pavilion' well stocked!!":D

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@BRF Based on media reports and Goff quotes, he said his timing was off especially on the deep ball. He was not making bad passes or throwing into coverage, just not consistently on time with the rock.

Were these your observations as well?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
or he just forgot to mention webster.

Maybe. But he mentioned the starters at corner being those three. With no Webster. I would assume that meant Gaines and Tru outside, Hill in the slot. And NRC with Webster on the next set.

rdw

Pro Bowler

QTUrzN1.gif

KOWALSKI

Rookie
Maybe. But he mentioned the starters at corner being those three. With no Webster. I would assume that meant Gaines and Tru outside, Hill in the slot. And NRC with Webster on the next set.
the rams listed webster and rnc as starters outside and nickel.

Ram65

Legend
Sounds like Gaines is ahead of Webster for that spot across from Tru. Very interesting.

That's interesting. Could be they didn't want to give Webster the new guy the job without earning it. Same with the Nickel back. Hill over NRC. Long ways to go till opening day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay very intent and lots of interaction with QB's and WR's.
I was watching the NFLN highlights...he seemed intense...and I loved it...reminded me of me.

I thought it was a good 1st day. McVay and the other coaches were very much into coaching and the players seemed eager. A better practice than the 1st day last year under Fisher. Not near as much standing around.
Hmmmm....that's interesting too....it's good to compare...

DB's played the Wr's right off the line, ( a pleseant change?)
about fucking time...I mean...you don't have to be a genius to know playing 5-9 yards off wrs is just stupid in this passing era...work on press as much as possible...not the other way around...Son of Bum earned his right to coach defense..some of these guys were just given jobs.

Excellent work Bubba! take a bow my man...should be able to hook up with you later this week and attend one together. I'll be your "spotter"...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I didn't have a roster sheet, I couldn't recall Webster's #. Maybe he did get in with the 1's, but not at first. It was Tru , Gaines, Roby-C as the starting DB's the first series. After that there were a lot of substitutions.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Not as much standing around as with Boudreau last year. Lots of reps
You know they may be on to something with this 'Lots of reps" thingy.
A better practice than the 1st day last year under Fisher. Not near as much standing around.
After watching a clip from last years practice,I remember thinking it looked more like a "meet and greet"
session than a football practice.The clip could have been used as exhibit A for how to run a losing franchise.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
or he just forgot to mention webster.
As I didn't have a roster sheet, I couldn't recall Webster's #. Maybe he did get in with the 1's, but not at first. It was Tru , Gaines, Roby-C as the starting DB's the first series. After that there were a lot of substitutions.

That was a helluva camp report, bubba.

It was like I were sitting right next to you and watching, man.

Far better than the pap we're getting from the beat writers, frankly.

Can't wait for your next one, tbh. And can't thank you enough for doing these.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We will be surprised just how good NRC is as a BCB! I keep seeing NRC always attached to the word Nickleo_O. It would be very healthy for this Ram secondary to have NRC remain as one of Wade's BCB's. In addition for another DB i.e. (Gaines/Countess/Johnson) win the Nickle post.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Think maybe Wade was serious, even understated, when he claimed that his secondary was gonna be better than most people realized? Lol.