Random thoughts about the pick today.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LSU's defensive coordinator, John Chavis, said he wouldn't trade Brockers and fellow LSU tackle Benny Logan for Jon Henderson and Albert Haynesworth, the defensive tackles Chavis had when he was at Tennessee. Both were first round picks and Pro Bowlers, and Chavis would rather have Brockers and Logan. Maybe it's coachspeak, maybe not. But that's a freaking ringing endorsement either way.

James Laurinaitis stands to benefit the most from this. How often was he piled on after the interior line broke down last year? If Brockers and Langford can do the job defensive tackles are SUPPOSED to do, how much freedom does Laurinaitis have to roam around, shoot gaps, and make big plays like only he can? I'm sure he's stoked as hell right now.

Fisher got more out of Haynesworth than Shanahan and Belichick. Now he's got a guy who's not a dumb fuck, is 10 times more coachable, and has a much higher ceiling.

The Rams 2011 defense. Rushing yards given up per game (average) -- 152.1 [ranked 31 out of 32]. Cool with that?
The Rams 2010 defense. Rushing yards given up per game (average) -- 113.1 [ranked 17 out of 32]. Good defense that year.
The Rams 2009 defense. Rushing yards given up per game (average) -- 137.6 [ranked 27 out of 32].
The Rams 2008 defense. Rushing yards given up per game (average) -- 154.7 [ranked 29 out of 32].
I could go on, but I'm feeling nauseous. This trend has to end yesterday.

[textarea]Fletcher Cox vs. Alabama, 2011

There were 42 total plays involving Fletcher Cox, and here are my observations:

Lined up at right defensive end three times.
Lined up at left defensive end twice.
Lined up at right defensive tackle 18 times.
Lined up at left defensive tackle 19 times.
Was double-teamed eight times (this is subjective; you watch and see what you think), or 19 percent of the time.
Had four assisted tackles in the game.
Made no tackles when he was double-teamed.
Pressured the ball-carrier and re-routed him. He was able to shoot one gap effectively and get pressure on the quarterback twice.

Michael Brockers vs. Alabama in the National Championship Game
There were 42 total plays including Michael Brockers, and here are my observations:

Lined up at left defensive end one time.
Lined up at nose tackle or as a 1-technique eight times.
Lined up at defensive tackle on the right side three times.
Lined up at defensive tackle on the left side 30 times.
Was double-teamed 30 times (again, this is subjective), or 71 percent of the time.
Registered three solo tackles and four assisted tackles in this game.
Registered either an assist or a tackle six times while double-teamed.
Blocked a field goal in this game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1148 ... etcher-cox

Here's the video that supports the above claim (Brockers is highlighted w/a rectangle before every play)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73WOdWwgG_I[/youtube][/textarea]
Robert Quinn DOB - May 18, 1990
Kendall Langford DOB - January 27, 1986
Michael Brockers DOB - December 21, 1990
Chris Long DOB - March 28, 1985
Average age of our defensive line right now - 23 3/4. Absurd. Absurd and Awesome.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

yes, the rams have instantly made the dline a strength of the team.

two solid tacklers in the middle and two demon rushers on the edge.

from the tape on offer i love how brockers is able to shed blockers, even when double teamed, and make the tackle for minimal yards. up to the rams to make him even stronger cause he certainly has the moves to make plays against the run.

fisher said the rams were going to protect sam and stop the run.

one down, one to go. glenn at #33 seems almost like a slam dunk now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Much like the Quinn pick last year, I was a little taken back. There was someone else I wanted, but the more I think about it the more I like it.

It all depends on what we do in the second round. If we can get an OG (Glenn is there) and a WR (Randle/Hill) then I'll be more comfortable. Then we can use that final 2nd round pick on either an OLB (if Brown or David is there) or a RB.... Then I'll really like it. I think Brockers will develop into a really solid DT, he's really going to help the run. Now we need to make work in the 2nd round... That's when the damage will really be done. I don't want to trade down anymore to be honest.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If you wanna talk about this vid alone, what you can see is Brockers getting double teamed on every fucking play and still not budging from the line. He'll even get in on the tackle if not make it by himself.

They're both two different players. Both have positives, both have negatives. But for some to act like they're in a completely different realm is ridiculous. One thing you're absolutley guaranteed from Brockers is a great, considerably above average, run defender. Then there's still potential for a lot more after that. Kid is a solid choice @14. No reason for anyone to bitch.

I don't really know if you're guaranteed anything with Cox. Phili is a good spot for him though. Reid will know how to utilize him.

IMO we/the Rams get more value from Brockers anyway. I just don't think you can depend on Cox lining up to stop the run every play.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Shit, we have William Hayes now that we can always lineup inside on 3rd down if Brockers doesn't develop into much of a pass rusher his first year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My thoughts of the day and tomorrow,

Overall, we traded back and got Brockers...AND 2 extra second round picks....AND 2 extra future first round picks.

Brockers, the player that Fisher and Snead coveted, plus 4 extra high round picks. That is AWESOME! DT done.

Keep this in mind. Kalil, Richardson, and Blackmon were ALL gone. They were gone BEFORE we picked at #6....so we must have believed that the cornerback position was fine with the addition of Finnegan. Murphy, Finnegan, and Fletcher will be the main players at that position...I think.

We all perceive a possible problem at offensive line. How can't we, based on last year? There are only a couple OT's that I think are worthy of starting immediately. There are a few G's though. There are two versatile guys still available.

We all know that we need help at wide receiver. I only see two guys with late first/high second round grades. I do see several 3rd round types with potential. I'd like to see us go early and aggressive for the guy that we like best, whoever he may be.

Most of the starting (3 down) running backs are gone. There are, however, several change of pace backs left.

Most of best the 4-3 OLB's are still available. If we can nab one of them, WOW.

So, tomorrow, we can solve our LB position, greatly help our WR position, and solidify/provide options for our OL positions.

It's possible that we go RB, but as I've said since day one, I think we go RB in the 3rd, unless we love L. Miller.

Peace brothers...

The doctor is OUT, for now...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My random thoughts about the draft yesterday:

I'm stunned that DeCastro fell so far - and to the Steelers, no less. Does this remind you of another guard that the Steelers took in the first round in the late 1990s? Particularly one who has had numerous All-Pro nominations?

The first six picks weren't a surprise at all. What surprised me was the teams who picked them. I never thought that Dallas would trade up for Claiborne when they already had Brandon Carr. I was a bit less surprised that Jacksonville traded up for Blackmon, but it was still a shock to me. And Cleveland trading up to Minnesota's pick to get Richardson was unreal.

I don't think I can recall seeing a pick worse than Seattle's. It makes the James Carpenter pick look downright intelligent. Irvin is a Combine freak in every sense of the word. He has one good pass-rush move: the speed rush. He has no strength, no run-stopping ability, and he struggled last year. Oh, and did I forget to mention that he has a criminal record? What an awful pick.

Still, it's not like the Forty-Whiners did much better. How is A.J. Jenkins an improvement over anybody they have? He was ranked as a fourth-rounder; Hill, Randle, Sanu, and McNutt, amongst others, are clearly better prospects. Hell, if they really wanted a wideout, they could have gone with Jeffery; at least he was a borderline first rounder at one point.

The draft was filled with reaches over better prospects. Gilmore, McClellin, Chandler Jones, Irvin, Jenkins, Harrison Smith, Barron, and Zietler going as high as they did just prove that. Guys like Glenn, Hill, and (even though I hate to admit it), Janoris Jenkins should have never fallen to the second round.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
Much like the Quinn pick last year, I was a little taken back. There was someone else I wanted, but the more I think about it the more I like it.

It all depends on what we do in the second round. If we can get an OG (Glenn is there) and a WR (Randle/Hill) then I'll be more comfortable. Then we can use that final 2nd round pick on either an OLB (if Brown or David is there) or a RB.... Then I'll really like it. I think Brockers will develop into a really solid DT, he's really going to help the run. Now we need to make work in the 2nd round... That's when the damage will really be done. I don't want to trade down anymore to be honest.
I'm totally with you blue. At first I was scratching my head, thinking for sure it would be DeCastro, but the more I think about it, the more I like. I'm streaming 101.1 and Venturi is basically saying the worst defenses he ever coached were ones that were short at DT and couldn't stop the run. Brockers has the most upside of any DT. He is already great at taking on double teams, shedding blocks and stopping the run. He only started one year, and will continue to get better. I think Fisher and Waeful think they can teach him some pass moves and turn him into a great run stopping DT with good pass rushing ability. Think Ryan Pickett with better abitlity to get to the QB (and that's not a bad thing).

On a side now, am I the only one that finds it iinteresting how far DeCastro dropped? I wonder if the experts were higher on him than the actual GMs/scouts.

steferfootball

Starter
Thanks for posting X. Makes me feel better. If you search his name in youtube, there are other similar videos.

also:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbgc5pbcphs[/youtube]

Thats nasty. I don't know how much resistance that dummy has, but if he can get the technique down, those long arms can work to his advantage.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:

I'm sorry but I just can't get to like it. I wanted Prince Amukamara last year, but was more than happy w/ Quinn, b/c it @ least it was a posistion that can make an instant impact. A DT...just doesn't have that impact as a WR, RB, a pass rusher, shut down corner, or hell even a mauling OG.

I hope Brockers becomes Reggie White, but right now...just can't get excited. I guess it'll change w/ the round dos and tres picks.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Well played by the Rams yesterday. Getting Dallas to trade up and getting a extra 2nd and a great player was brilliant.

I think SneadFish get 3 starters out of the 2nd. Maybe even a weapon or two.

Meanwhile I will amuse myself chuckling at the seahags as they keep taking part time players with premium picks. What's next for them? A 250 pound guard? Please Pete don't put the bong down for a few more rounds. Zona: You made Fitz happy but you could have had a all pro Guard but you took a WR that has to blow in a tube to get his car started so he can get to practice for the next 2 years.

40'ers you took a 4th rd wr in the 1st that will never get off Finnagens press coverage. Well played Harbaugh.