Random stuff I saw from the starters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On defense...

The bad:

Let it go on record I was a big proponent for drafting Eddie Lacy. Him and Daryl Richardson would look REAL good right now.

Well everyone knows about the tackling but I didn't like the long runs and lack of effort tackling. Almost like they didn't want to tackle Eddie. A RB making guys miss is one thing, lack of effort is another.

Seems to be a lot of open WRs/TEs for the opponents offense. Don't know if that's the scheme or execution. Many a time GB's receivers were getting open and separation, helping Aaron Rodgers out going back for the ball. That wasn't good for the D.

Alec Ogletree is gonna go some tough lumps this year I think.

Chris Long dude you're a vet. He's better than that. %cmonman

The good:

Robert Quinn...big ups to him this game. Nice swim move on his sack showing he's more than a speed rusher. Also more importantly I thought he played the run quite well today.

Cortland Finnegan was the only sure-fire tackler.

There wasn't much else I saw (or remember) that stood out. This sounds like the dreaded "e" word excuse, but perhaps it was b/c GB was going no huddle in the preseason? IDK, either way they will have to prepare for that. Detroit week 1 last year still is painful.

On offense...

The bad:

OK if this is the redzone playcalling shit that's gonna happen I'm gonna be really angry. Are they overthinking this shit? Even if Sam hit Tavon for the TD I still would've hated the play call. You wanna pass on first down, fine. You wanna pass on 2nd, fine. But 3rd? And a fuckin shotgun draw?! That was brutal. And of course a fumble on 4th. That was 2009 Rams bad.

Run blocking was brutal.

Drop balls...just catch em. Not that hard.

Also...have a play beyond the 1st down marker.

Tavon Austin, stop trying to make 3 guys miss at once. Use your speed and and outrun them.

Anyone else think the throw to Jared Cook was kinda low? But that's football...receivers help QBs out.

The good:

Big ups to the OL on pass pro. That was the best I've seen them since...well...ever. Especially by the interior and RB Isaiah Pead for blitz pickup. Good job OL! :loogit:

Sam really looks to be in charge out there. Mostly accurate...he's gonna have a good year.

Daryl Richardson showing soft hands in the pass game...like that.

Jared Cook is a big boy...really banking on him to have a break out year.

The offense overall generally looks and feels more fast when I watch them.

Also finally...I figured out why the blue pants look horrible...they're a different shade of blue!!!! At least have them the same shade...yeesh.

F. Mulder

Starter
Good Post.

I was going to post this in several other possible threads but will post it here. I think this is where NFL coaches earn their mettle. They have (to obviously will on a continual basis) work with the individual to explain what mistakes they've made and ensure that they understand going forward. Same goes with individual units. This team not only has a lot of rookies but is overall a young team. The coaching can range from technique to mental grasp etc. My hope is that the more they (the coaches) see what teams are doing vs them, as well as the rookies themselves just getting NFL snaps, this team will continue to ascend as the year goes on.

Related to that, my biggest fear is the exposure and lack of experience costs us some games early on. It is CRITICAL for the "veterans" on this team to play well from the first snap. If the vet OL does its job and Bradford does his then the offense can still work even with some hiccups. Same with the D; if the D-line gets pressure and guys like JL, Finnegan, etc do their jobs they can "cover" for the younger players as they continue to learn on the job.

My babbling point is that it's better to get this crap out of the way now. Let the rookies see what the NFL is like and self-correct in combination with a coaching staff that can add to that improvement. My intolerance is with the veterans making mistakes. There is a fine line between being vanilla and taking it easy and thinking you are just going to turn it on when it counts. Practice like you play.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I liked Eddie Lacy coming out of the draft, but there's not a chance in hell I would change how our draft played out to get him. I don't think our RB situation is all that bad, I think that if they have run blocking they will be okay.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really dude? I know it's early, but so far Alec Ogletree has really struggled in game action. Eddie comes in his 1st game and just bowls over people.

Tavon + Eddie = amazing offense.

Not saying Alec Ogletree can't play in the pro...just that Eddie Lacy might have made a more immediate factor. For example, what if on 1st and goal yesterday they gave the ball to Eddie instead of Isaiah Pead or Daryl Richardson? I think he would get it in and the 4th down hoopla would've been avoided.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I posted the point in another thread in more detail. But I guess, what people don't realize is just how training camp thus far has been VOID of any REAL contact.

Fisher has always had the reputation for "taking care of his players" throughout training camp. He is the best I've seen so far in knowing when to push, and when to back off to let the player's bodies recover. I absolutely agree with this philosophy, and don't understand the merits of beating down a team physically EARLY in training camp.

His goal is to have the team READY for Sept 8th. That being said, I envision things to get ratcheted up in the next two weeks in terms of the physicality. This will include FULL CONTACT, which will obviously address the tackling issues thus far. IT will also have a huge impact on the run blocking, and the running game overall.

I know Fisher has said, that its hard to evaluate, or even INSTALL the running game without pads, i.e. FULL CONTACT.
I think what we have seen so far are the most basic concepts in terms of what they are going to be when running the football. WE hear all about being "vanilla". Well that applies to the running game as well.

As I said, this "plan" is about getting ready for Sept 8th, not necessarily about early Preseason games in August.

One final, thought..... the one thing I am NOT worried about is a Jeff Fisher team being able to tackle. Its kind of his trademark. Three weeks to get it "cleaned up".

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Angry Ram said:
Really dude? I know it's early, but so far Alec Ogletree has really struggled in game action. Eddie comes in his 1st game and just bowls over people.

Not saying Alec Ogletree can't play in the pro...just that Eddie Lacy might have made a more immediate factor. For example, what if on 1st and goal yesterday they gave the ball to Eddie instead of Isaiah Pead or Daryl Richardson? I think he would get it in and the 4th down hoopla would've been avoided.

Well we tried that with SJ last year and it didn't work. Plus then we would have two LB on the outside that are questionable again. AO will be fine just give him a little time to learn. If our line holds up our RB will do the job.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:

Maybe, we weren't run blocking very well last night, it's not a running backs fault if he's met at the handoff like Pead was.

Again I liked Lacy, but taking him at 22 would be passing up better players, and that's not smart, especially when we already have so many running backs. If we kept our 2nd rounder we wouldn't have gotten Austin.

If we didn't trade back from 22 we wouldn't have had extra picks for more players. Needless to say, if we had Lacy we either don't have Austin, or we don't have Olgetree. Then we would be complaining about not having an OLB. Ogletree will be fine, he's a rookie. Again, I don't take much from preseason very often, Lacy looked good, but how much of that was because of how vanilla we were? Olgetree was a top 15 talent, Lacy was not, taking him in the first round would have been a reach, and we're not at a point where we can afford to reach for a player like that.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm nervous about Ogletree. Looks like his confidence might not be there like it was in college. At this point Ray Ray even looks better. But I like Ogletree alot, he's got a chance to be great.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There were people who seriously suggested that Davis should start over Bradford last year and that if Bradford were to go down they would be a little happy that Davis would get a chance to play, suggesting he may hold onto the starting spot if he did.

So while Ray Ray has looked great.... Lets keep things in perspective somewhat.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CoachO said:
I posted the point in another thread in more detail. But I guess, what people don't realize is just how training camp thus far has been VOID of any REAL contact.

Fisher has always had the reputation for "taking care of his players" throughout training camp. He is the best I've seen so far in knowing when to push, and when to back off to let the player's bodies recover. I absolutely agree with this philosophy, and don't understand the merits of beating down a team physically EARLY in training camp.

His goal is to have the team READY for Sept 8th. That being said, I envision things to get ratcheted up in the next two weeks in terms of the physicality. This will include FULL CONTACT, which will obviously address the tackling issues thus far. IT will also have a huge impact on the run blocking, and the running game overall.

I know Fisher has said, that its hard to evaluate, or even INSTALL the running game without pads, i.e. FULL CONTACT.
I think what we have seen so far are the most basic concepts in terms of what they are going to be when running the football. WE hear all about being "vanilla". Well that applies to the running game as well.

As I said, this "plan" is about getting ready for Sept 8th, not necessarily about early Preseason games in August.

One final, thought..... the one thing I am NOT worried about is a Jeff Fisher team being able to tackle. Its kind of his trademark. Three weeks to get it "cleaned up".

If I recall last preseason the rams has similar problems with tackling in the first two games. It got sorted out pretty quickly.

Can't get worked up about preseason.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Maybe, we weren't run blocking very well last night, it's not a running backs fault if he's met at the handoff like Pead was.

Again I liked Lacy, but taking him at 22 would be passing up better players, and that's not smart, especially when we already have so many running backs. If we kept our 2nd rounder we wouldn't have gotten Austin.

If we didn't trade back from 22 we wouldn't have had extra picks for more players. Needless to say, if we had Lacy we either don't have Austin, or we don't have Olgetree. Then we would be complaining about not having an OLB. Ogletree will be fine, he's a rookie. Again, I don't take much from preseason very often, Lacy looked good, but how much of that was because of how vanilla we were? Olgetree was a top 15 talent, Lacy was not, taking him in the first round would have been a reach, and we're not at a point where we can afford to reach for a player like that.

I'm was basing this after the trade back @ 30. Only the 2 safeties that were available (Matt Elam, Jon Cyprien) would probably be better picks than Eddie Lacy.

I'm just saying, Eddie Lacy wouldn't have been a bad pick. And to answer the OL question and SJack last year...this years OL is better than last year, but unfortunate none of the current RBs are the bruisers that "Jack" was.

I'm also willing to give Alec Ogletree all the time in the world to develop, but it's looking like he's gonna have a longer and possibly harder time to adjust to the pro game.

iced

Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

I'm was basing this after the trade back @ 30. Only the 2 safeties that were available (Matt Elam, Jon Cyprien) would probably be better picks than Eddie Lacy.

I'm just saying, Eddie Lacy wouldn't have been a bad pick. And to answer the OL question and SJack last year...this years OL is better than last year, but unfortunate none of the current RBs are the bruisers that "Jack" was.

I'm also willing to give Alec Ogletree all the time in the world to develop, but it's looking like he's gonna have a longer and possibly harder time to adjust to the pro game.

Consider me in the group where I'm still glad we passed on Lacy.

As much people want to give him credit, I give more credit to our defense not knowing how to tackle. It's not like he was the only player bowling through us - we couldn't tackle anybody!

Plus an RB that reportedly had trouble putting down the fast food in the off season (under his own admission)? yeaaaa I'd rather have Austin and Ogletree, who's minds and work ethic are dedicated to football and speak for themselves.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
kurtfaulk said:
CoachO said:

If I recall last preseason the rams has similar problems with tackling in the first two games. It got sorted out pretty quickly.

My thoughts exactly. This season, they cannot afford a sloppy game against AZ.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
kurtfaulk said:
CoachO said:

^ Both of these!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
Consider me in the group where I'm still glad we passed on Lacy.

As much people want to give him credit, I give more credit to our defense not knowing how to tackle. It's not like he was the only player bowling through us - we couldn't tackle anybody!

Plus an RB that reportedly had trouble putting down the fast food in the off season (under his own admission)? yeaaaa I'd rather have Austin and Ogletree, who's minds and work ethic are dedicated to football and speak for themselves.

Me too, iced!