Ramswire: Week 2 Snap Count

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The biggest storyline heading into Week 2 for the Los Angeles Rams was the return of two-time All-Pro Aaron Donald. After ending his holdout just before the team’s season opener, Donald made his way back onto the field for the Rams’ 27-20 loss to the Washington Redskins on Sunday.

Wade Phillips said going into the game that Donald would be on a “pitch count,” limiting his snaps until he got fully up to speed. After all, he did miss all of camp and the preseason. However, that wasn’t necessarily the case on Sunday.

Donald wound up playing 48 snaps, which equates to 68 percent of the Rams’ defensive plays. Michael Brockers was the only defensive lineman to play more, and he only out-snapped Donald by three plays.

screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-7-55-51-am.png

This is a good sign for Donald, who didn’t have a huge impact on the game but was close to making a few big plays. He said he’ll “be good” next week, as far as being in game shape goes, but it’s a short turnaround for the Rams with a game against the 49ers coming up on Thursday night.

As for the rest of the defense, the usual studs played the majority of the game – Alec Ogletree, Lamarcus Joyner, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Mark Barron. Tyrunn Walker and Tanzel Smart saw their snap counts drop with the return of Donald.

On offense, it was much of the same as last week. The starting offensive line played every snap, as did Jared Goff, while Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins played the most for L.A.’s receivers. Cooper Kupp was only in for 60 percent of the team’s offensive plays, which is a bit surprising.

screen-shot-2017-09-18-at-7-55-39-am.png

For the second straight week, Tavon Austin struggled to carve out a role. He played just nine offensive snaps and five on special teams, touching the ball a total of six times.

The Rams have to figure out a way to get their highest-paid offensive playmaker touches. Up to this point, he’s merely been a decoy on screen and swing passes, which won’t fool many defenses if he’s not making plays the rest of the time he’s on the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys who need fewer snaps:

1. Quinn. His role is looking like situational pass rusher. Dude got creased and lost contain, run over and through all game when he was in there yesterday.

2. Austin. Even 9 snaps is too many. No situational awareness, plays dumb, the dude just adds very little and I'd rather see some of the younger guys get some of his snaps.

3. Woods. 90% is too high for what he's giving us. I'd cut his snaps a bit and work in some of the younger wideouts.

4. Higbee. 84% with very little to speak of in production other than a couple real nice blocks. Disappointing to me personally, as I expected more from him.

5. Barron. 96% snaps and many of them not good. Had issues in game 1 as well. Something needs to give here.

Guys who need more snaps:

1. Kupp. Goff needs to quit eyeballin him when he's the target but still the kid could use more than 60%. He's already earned that.

2. Reynolds. He's big, physical, and has a good catch radius. Let's get him in there a bit more, nothing crazy but let's see what he can do.

3. Ebukam. I've seen a few of us mention him at ILB, not sure if he can do it but it would be nice to see them work him in a little. He's got good strength and doesn't wilt when a guy puts a hat on him. Might strengthen the interior a bit, but either way I'd like to see more of him.

4. Walker. I don't think any of the DL had a good game yesterday. But Walker is a guy that I like what I've seen thus far from him.

5. Littleton. Like with Ebukam above still not sure to what extent him spelling Barron would give us. He's probably a liability in coverage moreso than Barron tbh, but giving him a few more snaps a game wouldn't kill us.