Rams’ young defensive players aren’t kidding around

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams’ young defensive players aren’t kidding around​

The speed of NFL players hasn’t overwhelmed him, he’s getting a grasp of the playbook, and he’s already at ease calling out instructions the way a middle linebacker should.

Only one thing has fazed Ernest Jones in the first week that rookies have practiced with veterans during the Rams’ spring training program.

Jones, the third-round draft pick from South Carolina, hasn’t found the courage to strike up a conversation with defensive tackle Aaron Donald, the three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

“I didn’t want to fanboy him at first, so I’ve tried to stand back from AD,” Jones said Wednesday, laughing at himself. “I haven’t talked to him yet, but it’s coming. I want a one-on-one, full conversation with him.

“Last week, I was calling a play out, and he didn’t hear it. He asked me again, and I about froze up. I’m like, ‘This is Aaron Donald!’ “

The Rams’ five draft picks on defense had better get used to being on the field with their heroes.

Whether the Rams’ defense stays on top of the league could depend on how well young players perform alongside All-Pros like Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey and last year’s breakout star, edge rusher Leonard Floyd.

The departures of defensive lineman Michael Brockers, outside linebacker Samson Ebukam and cornerback Troy Hill leave opportunities for Jones, defensive tackle Bobby Brown III (a fourth-round pick), cornerback Robert Rochell (fourth), defensive end Earnest Brown IV (fifth) and outside linebacker Chris Garrett (seventh).

While the coaches don’t necessarily expect any of those five to play starting roles right away, they do need to replace John Johnson from among the safety trio of 2020 draft picks Jordan Fuller and Terrell Burgess and 2019 pick Taylor Rapp.

And they could use a healthy contribution from 2020 rookie Terrell Lewis at outside linebacker.

“I feel like it comes down to you making the coaches comfortable with you, making them trust you,” Jones said of how a young player earns a prominent role. “If (rookies) build that trust, I could definitely see where we could be on the field early on.”

Fuller, who started 12 regular-season games (making three interceptions) and both playoff games as a rookie, sounded eager to try to replace Johnson, who was the Rams’ defensive signal caller and captain of the defensive backs.

“I definitely take it on my shoulders. I know all of the DBs are trying to take that on,” Fuller said Tuesday of replacing Johnson. “He was a great leader, really smart, so that’s one of the reasons I want to work on my Football 101.”

Jones spoke in a video conference Wednesday after the third day of the Rams’ organized team activities in Thousand Oaks.

Known as a vocal leader and mentally prepared player at South Carolina, Jones, 21, said he wants to be the same in Los Angeles.

“That’s what I was kind of brought in here for, to be vocal and continue what I did in college,” he said. “The first few days, (I was) being a little cautious and nervous (about) speaking in front of (teammates). In just these last few days, I’ve become comfortable with them.

“Once you see something, you take control, you call it out. Not being nervous, you know, bashful.”

Someday he’ll tell that to Aaron Donald.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like a great kid. I hope he makes it.

TheBunk

Rookie
I think the new starters will fill in nicely, but man I'm going to miss JJ. He was such a pro and just a damn good football player.

I think AD99 gets about the proper credit from the hardcore watchers but it's interesting to see how former and current players react and look at him. They see the tape that casual watchers and much of the media don't bother to look at and are in genuine awe of the guy. It's fascinating.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The young man has the right attitude. I can't wait to see these young Rams play this preseason.

jap

Legend
Aaron to Earnest: "Are you talkin' to me? I said, are you talkin' to me!!!"

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Seems like a great kid. I hope he makes it.
Rams love taking these players that are 90% athlete and 100% football smart.
A lot of teams look at 100% athlete and end up with guys that aren't that football smart.

I think we'll look back on him exactly like we look back on John Johnson.
Football smart and a leader.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is OTA which is the team's first real look at what they have in their draftees. How good Jones looks goes a long way in determining Kiser's fate this year. Like I've been saying, what you see in OTAs doesn't necessarily say what will be in TC. There is no way Jones bumps Reeder out of his starting job.

It's the same thing I said about Corbett at center. OTAs is the Rams time to experiment and cross train so don't get too excited about things. Just look at what they've done over the past 3 years. The Rams know what they have in their starters, but if they want to cross train them now is when they do it. If Corbett looks good at center this would make the Rams 3 deep at the position but doesn't necessarily mean Allen doesn't start.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Rams love taking these players that are 90% athlete and 100% football smart.
A lot of teams look at 100% athlete and end up with guys that aren't that football smart.
Like Yogi Berra said ... "The Game is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

dang

Legend
This is OTA which is the team's first real look at what they have in their draftees. How good Jones looks goes a long way in determining Kiser's fate this year. Like I've been saying, what you see in OTAs doesn't necessarily say what will be in TC. There is no way Jones bumps Reeder out of his starting job.

It's the same thing I said about Corbett at center. OTAs is the Rams time to experiment and cross train so don't get too excited about things. Just look at what they've done over the past 3 years. The Rams know what they have in their starters, but if they want to cross train them now is when they do it. If Corbett looks good at center this would make the Rams 3 deep at the position but doesn't necessarily mean Allen doesn't start.
Someone needs to bump Reeder out as a starter. We cannot have that below average middle in our defense again. Just as the Rams knew an upgrade at OC was priority , I hope they feel the same about ILB. Blythe and Reeder are/were good depth. Period and Exclamation Point.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Jones became our best ILB the moment we drafted him. He's an athletic upgrade over Reeder and a mental upgrade over Kiser.

The only way Jones doesn't start is if Kiser takes another step.

So basically, if Jones is healthy and not getting many snaps, it's because Kiser is looking good.

I'm sure the Rams appreciate Reeder and feel good about him as depth but his slow feet are a big issue in the middle of an otherwise really tough defense and it gives opposing Offenses something easy to take advantage of.

I could certainly be wrong about Jones but imo he will be a nice addition and a starter sooner than later.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I can't speak for Jones of course because he is a rookie but he is THAT smart that he can replace one of the two inside linebackers very early in the season if not start there game one.

They already have him running with the first team defense.
That gives us a pretty good clue of why they drafted him second.

But as far as Corbett is concerned?

I think after that Green Bay game they started looking at Corbett as there next attempt at a upgrade at Center.

That being said, they're going to *want* to give him ALL of the first-team snaps to get him used to snapping the ball consistently.

They're also going to want Matt Stafford working with him on as many snaps as possible receiving the snap and letting Corbett know how he's doing in snapping the ball.

The only spot that's really up for grabs here is second string Center and *maybe* the starter at Right Guard.

And as I've mentioned, I'm pulling for Anchrum for that second string Center spot and believe Evans still will be the starter at Right Guard.

Other players I would really love to see step up and have a chance at second and third string are Chandler Brewer and Alaric Jackson as they are prototype size.

Brewer needs to be cross-trained at Center and Jackson may be a Guard/ Tackle if they make the game-day active status because of injury.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
ILB is one of those positions that needs some live reps to sort it. I wouldn't read much into who is with what group just yet.

But it is nice to hear that Jones is making calls out there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I felt a John Johnson vibe from Ernest Jones almost immediately after they drafted him. Unknown prospect to fans drafted in the third round, someone who the team was very high on while still getting picks to trade down for him...I think he could end up being the only starting rookie on this team, especially if some of the other young players step up.