Rams WR Speed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Even if DeSean Jackson, Tutu Atwell and Jacob Harris don’t start I would think that their speed should open up the Rams Offense and provide Matt Stafford some great weapons and downfall targets which I hope will help Akers and the running game as well!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Assuming DJax makes it out of TC unscathed, I'd be shocked if he wasn't on the field for our first offensive play of the year.

And in the extremely unlikely event that somehow, DJax/Woods/Kupp all stayed healthy, I'd expect Van to see the same number of snaps as last year and Tutu to barely see the field this year.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t know about Djax as the # 3, the Rams run 11 personnel more than anyone and nobody wants or expects Djax to be out there for a bunch of snaps. My prediction is a lot of Van some Jax and a sprinkle of Tutu. Some people are picking this team to go deep in the playoffs and having Jackson would be a big plus. I think McVay will do his best to have Jackson or the next best thing.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think Jefferson will be given every opportunity to earn that 3rd WR position. Rams know that Jefferson is long term future whereas DJ is a 1 year rental.

Having said that, I think Jefferson must really take a step up this year. It’s his golden opportunity. DJ will be gone next year and Tutu is intended for spot situational duties. Very valuable, but still...

I just love this Ram WR corps. Best since GSOT days and even then WR corps was only 3 deep, wasn’t it?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Assuming DJax makes it out of TC unscathed, I'd be shocked if he wasn't on the field for our first offensive play of the year.

And in the extremely unlikely event that somehow, DJax/Woods/Kupp all stayed healthy, I'd expect Van to see the same number of snaps as last year and Tutu to barely see the field this year.
I don't think so. I would think McVay has seen Kupp not last to make it to the playoffs 2 out of 3 playoff seasons...

I think the idea this yr, and he or Snead had mentioned it, is to spread the ball around and keep guys fresh. So you are not asking Kupp or Woods to take 60 snaps a game for 90 catches.

I could see their catches drop to the 70's with Djax & Atwell combining for 50 and Jefferson in the high 30's or low 40's. Add 35 for Higbee and I am thinking that is about how it will be distributed.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You can't coach/teach SPEED... and it can kill.

We were lacking in that area last season. Djax and Tutu will always have to be accounted for by the defense because of their speed. Just having one of them on the field will make our offense harder to defend... even when they don't get the ball. It's gonna open things up a lot more for the offense in both the passing game and the running game.

We needed that missing ingredient. McSlay made sure to get it for us this year.

Tano

Legend
I think Jefferson will be given every opportunity to earn that 3rd WR position. Rams know that Jefferson is long term future whereas DJ is a 1 year rental.

Having said that, I think Jefferson must really take a step up this year. It’s his golden opportunity. DJ will be gone next year and Tutu is intended for spot situational duties. Very valuable, but still...

I just love this Ram WR corps. Best since GSOT days and even then WR corps was only 3 deep, wasn’t it?
4 deep - you probably forgot one of the best 3rd down receivers in the game - Ricky Proehl

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have plenty of weapons for Stafford and we are deep enough to overcome injuries at the wr spot. I’m hoping our RB room stays healthy and our o line performs. I have little to no concern that we have enough weapons for Stafford.

Ram65

Legend
I remember most everyone trying to guess how many catches Jefferson would have last year. I would say it's safe to say that most everyone overestimated his number. He seemed on target last year then McVay kept him on the sidelines a lot in the second half of the season. I speculated before on why. He still will be in the mix this year. That's four top-level WRs.

YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DLngR/GY/GCtch%Y/TgtRushYdsTD1DLngY/AY/GA/GTouchY/TchYScmRRTDFmbAV
202024LAR12160311922011.6111311.213.861.3%7.11-100-1-1.0-0.10.12011.0219111
Career16311922011.6111311.213.861.3%7.11-100-1-1.0-0.10.12011.021911

This year when Jackson was signed it was time to guess how many snaps and catches he would get or at least by me. I think he comes in ready to play and has a good chance to stay healthy. I was thinking 30-33% of the snaps with Jefferson getting about the same. McVay has me thinking Jackson will get even more snaps in the range of 50%. McVay wants that speed on the field.

This year you have Tutu Atwell and Jacob Harris coming in with speed McVay covets, they have to learn the offense before they see the field other than on special teams. If they learn the playbook they could get some snaps. I think McVay would be wise the get them some game experience. TuTu could help out if Jackson gets hurt. I'm more inclined to think McVay will stay with the experienced players.

MauiRam

Rookie
You can't coach/teach SPEED... and it can kill.

We were lacking in that area last season. Djax and Tutu will always have to be accounted for by the defense because of their speed. Just having one of them on the field will make our offense harder to defend... even when they don't get the ball. It's gonna open things up a lot more for the offense in both the passing game and the running game.

We needed that missing ingredient. McSlay made sure to get it for us this year.
Precisely! If either Jackson or Atwell gets loose over the top even on a running play, it will put fear into opposing defensive backs knowing that had the ball gone to the open guy he would have scored. Even deep throw incompletions will cause trepidation if our speedsters blow open beyond them. They'll know they were lucky ... that time ..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Remember when our big hope was Brian Quick? holy crap! lol