Rams WR situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have taken a little heat for saying Cooper will make a big jump in production this year.
Nice to see somebody share my enthusiasm about the kid.He showed some flashes
last year with very little in the way of opportunities.Very excited about his chances next year.

Well, 28 catches for 216 yards would double his output.

Psycho_X

Legend
Paul Mc Roberts 24-2

Your post reminded me that I had completely forgotten about McRoberts. I am actually very intrigued to see what McVay can do with him. The kid has some god given talent that can be exploited and had a few nice plays last year. He could be a sleeper for us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If I were a GM here's what I'd do: every offseason I'd audition basketball power forward types and bring the best one in as a UDFA.
I've been thinking this for several years....After I saw Antonio Gates...I had already witnessed Tony Gonzales...May be some untapped talent out there...
I saw a kid play at LMU....he eventually went to Santa Barbra....and was a 6'5 shooting guard. He said he stopped playing football because he "wanted people to see" his face. LOL....Well, I told that kid he'd make an excellent TE in the pros...He just laughed. I think he made a few developmental teams in the NBA...Probably overseas now....I could guarantee that kid would have been a beast....Orlando Johnson is his name.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I always get the feeling that if you're counting on Josh Gordon, you're gonna be disappointed.
If you're adding Gordon to an already established offense that can live without him, you're making a smart gamble.

I could see him in Cincy, with Dalton and Green and not moving states. Although being on a team with Burfict and Jones would be less than ideal...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been thinking this for several years....After I saw Antonio Gates...I had already witnessed Tony Gonzales...May be some untapped talent out there...
I saw a kid play at LMU....he eventually went to Santa Barbra....and was a 6'5 shooting guard. He said he stopped playing football because he "wanted people to see" his face. LOL....Well, I told that kid he'd make an excellent TE in the pros...He just laughed. I think he made a few developmental teams in the NBA...Probably overseas now....I could guarantee that kid would have been a beast....Orlando Johnson is his name.

Yeah the shooting guard types are almost all exceptional athletes, I was talking about power forwards but you're right there are a lot of guards who are better athletes than the power forward types and who are still huge by NFL standards. And for purposes of roster spots while they learn they simply need to be able to contribute on teams so they'd have to be dudes willing to get their hands dirty, guys with a bit of an edge to them if you will.

You know for that matter this is something that I find interesting with the NFL, that they rarely run conversion projects among even the bubble players who are essentially special teamers. But you see it much more often at the college level, where players switch over and then sometimes a season or two later they're in the draft. It's not like it is going to solve all your problems or anything, but when you get to the latter stages of the draft I would be looking at potential positional change opportunities in an effort to increase my chances of finding late round gems.

I mentioned before about having TEs (who are typically big and athletic) that fall into the late rounds do QB workouts in order to see whether any of them have throwing potential, and most peeps around here thought I was nuts. But there are a lot of examples of other positions like big wideouts who aren't going to cut it at the NFL level moving to defensive positions be it safety for the smaller types or even something like rush LB for the rangy types who can play with that type of mentality.

I realize I'll get plenty of "well the NFL is not the level to convert players" type replies, but I think it is a way a team could get more from their late round and UDFA additions. Practice squad gives them a little more leeway on this too.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...Fendi Onobun?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah the shooting guard types are almost all exceptional athletes, I was talking about power forwards but you're right there are a lot of guards who are better athletes than the power forward types and who are still huge by NFL standards. And for purposes of roster spots while they learn they simply need to be able to contribute on teams so they'd have to be dudes willing to get their hands dirty, guys with a bit of an edge to them if you will.

You know for that matter this is something that I find interesting with the NFL, that they rarely run conversion projects among even the bubble players who are essentially special teamers. But you see it much more often at the college level, where players switch over and then sometimes a season or two later they're in the draft. It's not like it is going to solve all your problems or anything, but when you get to the latter stages of the draft I would be looking at potential positional change opportunities in an effort to increase my chances of finding late round gems.

I mentioned before about having TEs (who are typically big and athletic) that fall into the late rounds do QB workouts in order to see whether any of them have throwing potential, and most peeps around here thought I was nuts. But there are a lot of examples of other positions like big wideouts who aren't going to cut it at the NFL level moving to defensive positions be it safety for the smaller types or even something like rush LB for the rangy types who can play with that type of mentality.

I realize I'll get plenty of "well the NFL is not the level to convert players" type replies, but I think it is a way a team could get more from their late round and UDFA additions. Practice squad gives them a little more leeway on this too.

I think it's probably hard enough to find guys who have been playing one position their whole lives that can play at the NFL level. Trying to find guys who played one position or sport their whole lives who really should be playing another position or sport, that wasn't identified in the last 6 years, AND play that new position at a high level is another whole layer (or two) of complexity. The effort to reward ratio would be awful. They could probably spend 40 hours looking through candidates without finding one who would be likely to make the change successfully. They could spend that 40 hours scouting regular football players and actually come away with a few that could help. Just my opinion anyway.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Throw rocks at me but I want Anquan Boldin to wear the horns and bring what he has inside himself to our new group of wide recievers. Dude is a one of a kind stud. After Barwin and locking down what center we want lets get our Backup RB who can catch and then bring in Boldin. If we get lucky enough to trafe TJ and get that extra $$$ . We could add depth and let us go BPA in this years draft. (after CB) :icare:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Throw rocks at me but I want Anquan Boldin to wear the horns and bring what he has inside himself to our new group of wide recievers.
1211faa10e7bd358df391ebc1f9feb13.jpg
558f6c9d20f3b0b3dfab465a92fb611cd621d23c_hq.gif
rockstothrow.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, I remember Johnson from his time with the Pacers.

Throw rocks at me but I want Anquan Boldin to wear the horns and bring what he has inside himself to our new group of wide recievers. Dude is a one of a kind stud. After Barwin and locking down what center we want lets get our Backup RB who can catch and then bring in Boldin. If we get lucky enough to trafe TJ and get that extra $$$ . We could add depth and let us go BPA in this years draft. (after CB) :icare:

The time for Boldin has passed, unfortunately. I was all for going after him in the past.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
One thing that happens is the conversion of lineman. We've seen it go both ways, mean streak OL being converted to DT and DTs with good feet and balance being converted to OL.

TE happens less often and rarely do you see Richard Sherman types that are converted WRs.

I agree, I would look at players who may have been miscast. I still maintain that Tim Tebow would have made a Pro-Bowl level TE. College is notorious for both moving players around to suit their need not play to that player's strengths as well as miscasting players.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
On Josh Gordon, its a simple contract. If he Fks up he's fired and doesn't get a dime.

Where is Brian Quick?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
One thing that happens is the conversion of lineman. We've seen it go both ways, mean streak OL being converted to DT and DTs with good feet and balance being converted to OL.

TE happens less often and rarely do you see Richard Sherman types that are converted WRs.

I agree, I would look at players who may have been miscast. I still maintain that Tim Tebow would have made a Pro-Bowl level TE. College is notorious for both moving players around to suit their need not play to that player's strengths as well as miscasting players.

I agree totally about what you said about Tebow and TE. Tim as great a person as he is was all about Tim and would NEVER even consider pouring his talent and abilities into TE. He NEVER gave it even a chance. Not a fan of his abilities to compete at a top level in baseball either. Tim will succeed in life as I know his life is in GODS hands. I'd love to go back and see what Tebow could have been for the pats or any good coaching leadership and him focusing like a laser on TE in the NFL. He could of had a very nice career under the right team. Totally agree if applied Tim could have achieved Pro Bowl level TE skills. I having a Gator graduating (Engineer) brother . He would have enjoyed seeing that happen. Sometimes we can be our worst enemy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When will we know if gordon is reinstated? Heard he applied back in February but heard nothing since.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you want my opinion on how the wr core should fare, please donate $4 dollars in my name to this site.....I got especially hot takes on Gordon & Stedman....
Ok
You didn't pay...but go ahead and drop that CC number after peeps
Josh Gordon???? Are you serious?
Woods....maybe 50-60 catches....clueless about the yards...and touchdowns
Sted Bailey will be a full time assistant coach
Tavon.....LOLOLOLOLOL....How about 100 carries for 600 yards...full time HB after 2017
North.....clueless on him
Thomas...clueless on him too.
Oh yeah....make sure you pay ROD for this classic assessment.

This is the best post of the year to date.

We need a sticky/thread to vote and nominate posts.

I nominate this one.

And I will send you 4 ROD bucks.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not heard about Gordon, but he's not a rush, all my enthusiasm aside.

He's someone that teams will need to do their due diligence on and they can't until 1) he's reinstated and 2) Gordon is released or given permission to talk with other teams due to the tampering rule.

I expect that something may happen towards the end of March or by mid April so that teams at the very least Cleveland can address his situation prior to the draft.

Then again, this isn't a situation for New England so who knows when he addresses it. It's as much for the Cleveland FO (if not more) as it is for Gordon.

I'm optimistic about his chances at success and hopeful about him becoming a Ram. If Kevin Demoff reads anything I've said (always hope on that), hopefully he's in consideration. I know he can't talk about a player on another team, so we'll hear nothing from ANYONE until Gordon's reinstated.

Cleveland could say that upon reinstatement, he'll be immediately released, but I suspect that if he's reinstated prior to the draft, they'll try to get a low pick, 6th or 7th for him.

If he's squared away, that'd be a steal for us (or anyone who ponies up).

Even if I and others don't get our wish for Gordon to become a Ram (presuming he's squared away, this isn't a blanket "get him under any circumstances" type endorsement), I just don't want him in the NFC West. He's going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses. I'd just rather he be that weapon for us.

But it's gonna be awhile, I think. I could be wrong, cuz who knows what Roger Goodell is gonna do?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Don't forget the Rams recently signed Travis Wilson!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Your post reminded me that I had completely forgotten about McRoberts. I am actually very intrigued to see what McVay can do with him. The kid has some god given talent that can be exploited and had a few nice plays last year. He could be a sleeper for us.

You forgot because everyone speaks about Spruce. McRoberts is the 2nd tallest WR we got @ 6'3 behind Marquis North @ 6'4 now that britt and Quick are gone. I think he could stretch the field. I would like to see McRoberts get a fair shake. He did F up in pre season but showed heart. We will see.