Rams WR Preseason Statistics 3 Games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
LA Rams Preseason 3 Games

RECEIVING STATISTICS

Player..............Rec/Yds.. YPC..TD

Lance Kendricks 6 /62.. 10.3.. 0
Tyler Higbee 6 /60.. 10.0.. 0
Brian Quick 6 /55.. 9.2.. 0
Nelson Spruce 6 /51.. 8.5.. 1
Aaron Green 6 /50.. 8.3.. 1

Kenny Britt 5 /55.. 11.0.. 0
Paul McRoberts 5 /44.. 8.8.. 0
Chase Reynolds 4 /32.. 8.0.. 1
Malcolm Brown 3 /20.. 6.7.. 1
Pharoh Cooper 2 /30.. 15.0.. 1

Temarrick Hemingway 2 /29.. 14.5.. 0
Justice Cunningham 2 /11.. 5.5.. 0
Benny Cunningham 1 /20.. 20.. 0
Mike Thomas 1 /14.. 14.0.. 0

Austin Hill 1 /7.. 7.0.. 0
Duke Williams 1 /4.. 4.0.. 0
Bradley Marquez 1/ -1.. -1...0

football16.gif

SAK11

Rookie
I've been fairly happy with Kendricks and Britt as solid veteran options and I'm confident Austin will be a difference maker again this year. Higbee, Cooper, and Spruce all showed themselves well at some point this preseason. Other than that, it's been a disappointing group. You see all the names, hear about their upside and get excited about what could be, then you realize why these guys have struggled to do anything at the NFL level, or were drafted low/not drafted at all. This is a questionable group.
Two things I can always count on from the Rams- penalties, and dropped passes. That's why I'd take a guy like Spruce over Quick/Williams/Thomas any day. Catch the damn ball, help your young QB out.

fearsomefour

Legend
Britt and Kendricks are solid pros.
Higbee will be a play maker and Cooper brings some good things to the table. So, health (as always) will be big. Austin and the X factor and big play guy is really a key. Under wraps on purpose in the preseason.
I think some motion stuff and something's to get Austin into space with mismatches.
How about 2 TDs opening night for Austin?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
In terms of efficiency and who the QBs are targeting the most here's what it looks like:

1. Higbee- 6 catches on 12 targets (2 games)
2. Quick- 6 catches on 10 targets
3. Spruce- 6 catches on 8 targets (1 game)
4. Britt- 5 Catches on 7 targets
5. McRoberts- 5 catches on 7 targets
6. Kendricks- 6 catches on 6 targets
7. Hemmingway- 2 catches on 6 targets
8. Mike Thomas- 1 catch on 6 targets
9. Pharoh- 2 catches on 5 targets
10. Tavon- 0 catches on 2 targets

Main take away this offense will run through the TEs. Higbee lead the team in targets both games he played, probably because he plays with the ones, twos, and sometimes threes. Was real efficient against the cowboys (5/6) and woefully inefficient against the Broncos (1/6), granted it wasn't all his fault. Kendricks looks more natural catching the ball and even though its mainly uncovered short stuff he has been our most efficient receiver (100%).

Spruce and McRoberts have limited sample sizes, but both make the most of their opportunities. Both guys only trail Kendrick's in terms of efficiency, but somehow they still play less than the woefully inefficient Mike Thomas (17% catch rate).

Rarely looked in Tavon's direction when he played. We'll have to wait for the regular season to the new wrinkles intended for the $40 million dollar man

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
give me a near 100% catch rate all day, and i won't care about the big plays, 3 4yard catches in a row and its a first down baby, I just want our Red Zone completions to improve too

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
give me a near 100% catch rate all day, and i won't care about the big plays, 3 4yard catches in a row and its a first down baby, I just want our Red Zone completions to improve too

Agreed Shaun. The Shehawks have demonstrated how important that catch rate is, and have done a lot with a strong run game, good defense, and non-spectacular wideout group that holds onto the ball. One would think Fish and Snead are paying attention to that, eh?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Agreed Shaun. The Shehawks have demonstrated how important that catch rate is, and have done a lot with a strong run game, good defense, and non-spectacular wideout group that holds onto the ball. One would think Fish and Snead are paying attention to that, eh?

Lets hope so, we have Gurley now, surely we can do something this year thats above 8-8

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

This...

Catching the football is a culmination of getting open, being where the QB expects, and focusing on the hands and body to hang on to it. As simple as that sounds, very few have the athleticism and instincts to pull it off consistently.

As a side note, given E Sims phenomenal hands, power, and speed, why has NO coach ever recognized his potential as a TE? He's an AVERAGE DL pass rusher. I see him as a much better TE.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
LA Rams Preseason 3 Games

RECEIVING STATISTICS

Player..............Rec/Yds.. YPC..TD

Lance Kendricks 6 /62.. 10.3.. 0
Tyler Higbee 6 /60.. 10.0.. 0
Brian Quick 6 /55.. 9.2.. 0
Nelson Spruce 6 /51.. 8.5.. 1
Aaron Green 6 /50.. 8.3.. 1

Kenny Britt 5 /55.. 11.0.. 0
Paul McRoberts 5 /44.. 8.8.. 0
Chase Reynolds 4 /32.. 8.0.. 1
Malcolm Brown 3 /20.. 6.7.. 1
Pharoh Cooper 2 /30.. 15.0.. 1

Temarrick Hemingway 2 /29.. 14.5.. 0
Justice Cunningham 2 /11.. 5.5.. 0
Benny Cunningham 1 /20.. 20.. 0
Mike Thomas 1 /14.. 14.0.. 0

Austin Hill 1 /7.. 7.0.. 0
Duke Williams 1 /4.. 4.0.. 0
Bradley Marquez 1/ -1.. -1...0

football16.gif
Stats are not everything,But they don't Lie!
In terms of efficiency and who the QBs are targeting the most here's what it looks like:

Main take away this offense will run through the TEs. Higbee lead the team in targets both games he played, probably because he plays with the ones, twos, and sometimes threes. Was real efficient against the cowboys (5/6) and woefully inefficient against the Broncos (1/6), granted it wasn't all his fault. Kendricks looks more natural catching the ball and even though its mainly uncovered short stuff he has been our most efficient receiver (100%).

Spruce and McRoberts have limited sample sizes, but both make the most of their opportunities. Both guys only trail Kendrick's in terms of efficiency, but somehow they still play less than the woefully inefficient Mike Thomas (17% catch rate).

Rarely looked in Tavon's direction when he played. We'll have to wait for the regular season to the new wrinkles intended for the $40 million dollar man
In the end, I think, this^ will be the most important Stat area!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's why I'd take a guy like Spruce
I take guys that can suit up, week after week, over anyone too....
I like DX better than the last 6 years of receivers....but he had bad knees.

I think some motion stuff and something's to get Austin into space with mismatches.
It's called, the slot baby! Trips/bunch/stacked (only 2 wrs but could be 3 in a line)

Great post!...Now, can we get a drop %%%%...of all 32 teams...Spread sheet format...on my desk in the morning.

Stony32

Fan since tickets were $5.50
I take guys that can suit up, week after week, over anyone too....
I like DX better than the last 6 years of receivers....but he had bad knees.

The information I have on Spruce is that he didn't miss a single game in college due to injury. I don't know about high school, but I don't see any evidence of injury time off there either. So, this would be the first injury preventing him from suiting up in his career. This one seems minor as knees go, not chronic and not indicative of a possible problem going forward.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Main take away this offense will run through the TEs.
We haven't seen the real offense yet but this is a hint that Groh is bringing over some of the Gase element. The Bears split their targets almost evenly between WR and RB/TE, so we will see a lot of Higbee & Friends. What's missing so far is the RB targets, I think we are going to see a lot of Gurley catching passes once the regular season starts -- and of course Tavon getting his 100 catches so the real offense has yet to be shown.

As I've spouted many times I totally disagree with this philosophy and think it is far superior to use your WRs to attack down the field to complement a power running game. There must be synergy in an offense, which leads to...

The Shehawks have demonstrated how important that catch rate is, and have done a lot with a strong run game, good defense, and non-spectacular wideout group that holds onto the ball.
Yes but the key to their passing success is they have Baldwin & their other rather pedestrian WRs attack downfield, and the one thing Baldwin does well is actually catch the damn ball. High conversion of targets into receptions + over 10 yards downfield = profit, not just for Baldwin and Wilson but opens up their running game and entire offense, too.

As a side note, given E Sims phenomenal hands...
Let's not go too crazy, he doesn't necessarily have phenomenal hands in a normal TE situation, he might just have a freaky weird ability to catch a juggs ball one-handed. For example, a classic WR game is hold the tip of the ball in one hand, other tip pointed down at the ground, let go and try to grab the same tip again.. Some guys are weirdly great at it, some aren't, and it doesn't always translate to the field.

Stats are not everything,But they don't Lie!
I'm pretty sure preseason stats lie -- well, ok, not the stat itself but the conclusion drawn from a preseason stat is probably highly suspect.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
not indicative of a possible problem going forward.
Sorry to disagree, but if you play only a part of one game...and you are then injured, severe enough to miss the next two games, umm, sorry that's indicative of a serious durability issue. No matter how you spin it...
As I've spouted many times I totally disagree with this philosophy and think it is far superior to use your WRs to attack down the field to complement a power running game. There must be synergy in an offense,
from your keyboard to My eyes.....hey bot...I think if we stay on here a few more years, these youngins will get this concept....

Stony32

Sorry to disagree, but if you play only a part of one game...and you are then injured, severe enough to miss the next two games, umm, sorry that's indicative of a serious durability issue. No matter how you spin it...

No need to apologize for disagreeing. It wasn't a cumulative injury. That particular incident and resultant injury might never happen again.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's the type of response I was hoping for SYGurley... I appreciate when a good post has a genius qualified response.

You_are_a_genius.gif

Ram65

Legend
We haven't seen the real offense yet but this is a hint that Groh is bringing over some of the Gase element. The Bears split their targets almost evenly between WR and RB/TE, so we will see a lot of Higbee & Friends. What's missing so far is the RB targets, I think we are going to see a lot of Gurley catching passes once the regular season starts -- and of course Tavon getting his 100 catches so the real offense has yet to be shown.

Interesting comment on the Bears. I'm looking forward to seeing TG got more pass catching chances as well as TA. It looks like the Rams will be spreading the ball around. This offense could become very unpredictable particularly when Goff gets to play. Goff can add the down field passing. Hopefully, Keenum can complete some down field passes to help open things up.

Last edited:

Stony32

BTW, no spin from me. No preconceptions either; I'm a facts guy and I go by what I see. I appreciate your concerns about Cooper's durability and I share them. An injured quad, then a shoulder four weeks later is something to keep an eye on.

Last edited: