Rams Working out Deone Buccannon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
I liked McD better as a prospect than I do Buccannon. To me, they're very similar which isn't a good thing, in my opinion, and by that I mean the Rams need a FS, not another SS.

hes a lot faster then Mcdonald. Hes a playmaker he had at least 5ints last season

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I didn't watch WSU much (no one did) except when they played Oregon and maybe one other time. But the knock I have heard repeatedly is his coverage skills. Unlike TJ, I don't know why that would be.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I think that's pushing it a bit there 503! Knowing a 85 year old with a walker can probably take better angles in pass coverage and being the " Safety" in the backfield! lol

V3

Hall of Fame
hes a lot faster then Mcdonald. Hes a playmaker he had at least 5ints last season

Speed is nice but I feel change of direction is MUCH more important for a DB. He is very stiff. That is not something you want in a FS. You can get away with it a lot easier at SS. We don't need another SS.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

I see a SS- not a FS. I know Fisher likes to say he wants both of his safeties to be interchangeable but I hate that philosophy. Sure, everyone would love for their backend to be that versatile but that's MUCH easier said than done. It's much easier to find a guy who's great at run D and one guy who's great at pass D and to just put them in situations where they can excel.

When I watch him I see a guy that has very good size but is very stiff, poor at change of direction, good hands, can really lay the wood but often completely whiffs, and loses sight of the ball carrier more than I'd like. He seems like a 3rd or 4th round pick to me.

I don't want a second SS back there. I think someone here said in another thread that some site compared him to Craig Dahl. YIKES!

I agree with V3 here. I have only ever viewed him as a SS type. He doesn't appear fluid enough to be a FS candidate.

Admittedly, he as one of the Safeties that I was impressed with early on but with McDonald back there it is just too much of the same for me. Perhaps I should go and look at the tape again.

FRO

Legend
I agree with V3 here. I have only ever viewed him as a SS type. He doesn't appear fluid enough to be a FS candidate.

Admittedly, he as one of the Safeties that I was impressed with early on but with McDonald back there it is just too much of the same for me. Perhaps I should go and look at the tape again.
If the Rams want interchangeable safeties I would think they would want 2 of the exact same players.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
If the Rams want interchangeable safeties I would think they would want 2 of the exact same players.

Absolutely!! If indeed they want to go that route, he may be very much in play on that basis.

I, along with others here, am not convinced that is necessarily the correct way to go in this division. A dedicated FS with range ala Earl Thomas, would appear the desired look on the backfield in a pass happy league.

FRO

Legend
Absolutely!! If indeed they want to go that route, he may be very much in play on that basis.

I, along with others here, am not convinced that is necessarily the correct way to go in this division. A dedicated FS with range ala Earl Thomas, would appear the desired look on the backfield in a pass happy league.
Maybe it is. We are in a run heavy division. Maybe to down hill hitters at safety is the way to play.

Personally I want the rangy FS. The guy I want is Ward in the second

V3

Hall of Fame

So, no one that's really good at coverage. It's a good thing this isn't a passing league.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
Maybe it is. We are in a run heavy division. Maybe to down hill hitters at safety is the way to play.

I think Ward would be a better fit. But maybe even Bailey in the 3rd would be ok.

V3

Hall of Fame

Now you're starting to speak my language. :) I like him and Brooks.

jjab360

Legend
Anyone notice how skinny his arms are?
Look big enough to me..
0ap2000000331578_video_cp.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Combine prep works wonders. That video on the first page he looks skinnier. But judging by your photo he has no problem adding muscle.

RustyRay

Rookie
Watched a ton of Deone and the kid can play. He can be a bit stiff but has really good ball skills, 15 picks and 23 pd. He can run and he is 6'1 and has added natural size that he has gained over his career I think he is up to around 215 and stayed there.

He got in trouble in coverage at times because he is over agressive feeling like he needed to make all the plays at times because the Cougars tended to be outmanned until Leach got there and started adding talent. He also would bite on play action. Things that can be corrected, but he has good awareness overall and good hands and he will flat out strike you and has no fear at all in run support.

If you check out his overall combine #s he is a pretty solid athlete and had some nice times in the drills. He has good enough straight line speed but can struggle to change directions and not lose speed...stiff through the hips as the experts say.

When you stack him up production wise turnovers, tackles and leadership he looks pretty decent comared to the other safties in the draft.

http://www.wsucougars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207918004

WSU CAREER: Earned four varsity letters…appeared in 49 games…made 43 starts…recorded 384 career tackles, fourth-most in WSU history…made 268 career solo tackles, second-most in WSU history…tallied 15 career interceptions, third-most in WSU history…16 career double-digit tackle performances…three-time all-conference selection…First-Team All-American as a senior…Freshman All-American…Jim Thorpe Award Semifinalist as a senior…two 100-tackle seasons…led team in tackles three times...led Pac-12 in tackles and tied for lead in interceptions as a senior…selected to play in Reese’s Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

SENIOR (2013): Named First-Team All-America by Associated Press and Athlon Sports. Second-Team All-America by Walter Camp Football Foundation, third-Team All-America by CBS Sports and Honorable Mention All-America by Sports Illustrated…received the College Football Performance Awards Elite Defensive Back Trophy…named to Preseason All-America Fourth Team by Athlon Sports...earned varsity letter after starting all 13 games…named All-Pac-12 First-Team, the first WSU defensive back to earn first-team honors since Eric Frampton in 2006…named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, for the nation’s top defensive back…named a Midseason All-American by Sports Illustrated and to the Midseason All-America Second Team by CBS Sports…voted a team captain 11 times…led the Pac-12 with 114 tackles…first back-to-back 100-tackle seasons by a Cougar since Billy Newman in 1999-2000…most tackles since James Darling’s 136 in 1996…tied for 11th in the country with 78 solo tackles…led team and tied for first in the conference with six interceptions…tied for team-highs with three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries…tallied 4.5 tackles-for-loss…recorded four double-digit tackle performances…picked off a pass in four straight games at point…tied for team-lead with seven special teams tackles, five on kickoff…in the season-opener at Auburn, made a season-high 14 tackles, 12 solo, forced one fumble and recovered another…made eight tackles in the win at No. 25 USC…had eight tackles and an interception in the win over Southern Utah…had five tackles, forced a fumble and picked off a pass in the win over Idaho…made nine tackles and picked off a pass against No. 5 Stanford in Seattle…tallied 12 tackles, one for loss and an interception win the win at California…made eight tackles, including seven solo and a tackle-for-loss against Oregon State…at No. 2 Oregon, made nine tackles, one for loss, forced a fumble he also recovered…tallied 12 tackles, 10 solo and picked off a pass against No. 25 Arizona State…had 11 tackles in the win at Arizona…recorded six tackles in the win over Utah…made seven tackles including one for loss at Washington…recorded five tackles and picked off a pass against Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl…named WSU’s Defensive Most Valuable Player.