Rams' Witherspoon enjoys being a starter again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
ASSOCIATED PRESS

ST. LOUIS (AP) The St. Louis Rams brought back Will Witherspoon to add veteran depth at linebacker.
He's preparing to start - at least the first four games.

The Rams' oldest player turned 33 Monday.

Witherspoon is set to begin his 12th season in the league.

Witherspoon got the starting job when Jo-Lonn Dunbar received a four-game suspension to start the season. Dunbar, who had the second-most tackles for the Rams last season, violated the league's policy for performance-enhancing drugs.

Dunbar can practice and play in the preseason but once the regular season starts, he will not take part in anything team related until after the Rams' fourth game, which is a home game against the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 26.

On the last day of training camp Wednesday at Rams Park, Witherspoon said he ready to go and do what is needed.

"It's good to be back out there on the field," said Witherspoon, who started just five games last season with Tennessee. "It's always subject to change, right? That's the way I look at it. It's a good feeling. I just have to hold up my end of the bargain."

Witherspoon last started for the Rams in 2009 before he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for receiver Brandon Gibson. He started his career with Carolina and then signed a free-agent deal with St. Louis in 2006. In 11 seasons, Witherspoon has made 150 starts in 173 regular-season games.

With Dunbar going to miss the start of the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher plugged in Witherspoon with the first unit defense last Saturday in a home preseason game against Green Bay.

Fisher liked what he saw from the veteran.

"Will was fine. He didn't get a lot of snaps particularly because of Green Bay's personnel that they put on offense," Fisher said. "We had to play a lot of nickel. He played some with the second group. He was fine. He was active. He was where he needed to be."

For Witherspoon, it was important to be back out there and adjusting to the game on the field.
"I think it was really good to get into the game speed," Witherspoon said. "It definitely helps."

When Witherspoon signed in July with St. Louis, he did not know about Dunbar's situation.

"It's unfortunate," Witherspoon said. "It's one we'll all get by. At the end of the day, we've all got to step our game up and fill that void. When he gets back, it's readjustment time. We'll keep rolling forward."

Does Witherspoon have designs on playing well enough to keep the starting job?

"I'm just happy to be back to playing," Witherspoon said. "You can't say this is yours. Nothing is ever handed to you in this game. You've got to earn it, keep it and go."

NOTES: Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf, wearing a Michigan cap to ward off the sun, watched practice while sitting in a golf cart on the sideline. ... RT Rodger Saffold practiced with the first unit in 11-on-11 drills. Saffold dislocated his left shoulder on the Rams' second play in their first possession in the preseason opener at Cleveland. ... Rookie WR Tavon Austin was back at practice after being excused for personal reasons. ... RB Terrance Ganaway, a second-year player from Baylor, told Fisher earlier in the day he was leaving the team to pursue a graduate degree. ... Camp ended with the traditional rookie dizzy bat races that Fisher started in Tennessee. Fisher declared RB Benny Cunningham "pretty impressive" as he struggled to gain his footing after spinning around while being doused with water.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Should be okay until Dunbar returns! Hope so! Not much depth there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm afraid we're gonna miss the Red Bull guzzling Dunbar during the first 4 games. I love his head shaking and intimidating presence on our D.

Hope WW can lay some lumber against the run for us.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
I'm afraid we're gonna miss the Red Bull guzzling Dunbar during the first 4 games. I love his head shaking and intimidating presence on our D.

Hope WW can lay some lumber against the run for us.

I think we are gonna be counting the days till Dunbar gets back, and I would not be surprised to see Ogletree's time shrink more after he does,JMO but handing Ogtre the starting job is a little premature,there will be "moments".

News Bot said:
ASSOCIATED PRESS

ST. LOUIS (AP) The St. Louis Rams brought back Will Witherspoon to add veteran depth at linebacker.
He's preparing to start - at least the first four games.

[hilite]The Rams' oldest player turned 33 Monday.[/hilite]

Witherspoon is set to begin his 12th season in the league.

Witherspoon got the starting job when Jo-Lonn Dunbar received a four-game suspension to start the season. Dunbar, who had the second-most tackles for the Rams last season, violated the league's policy for performance-enhancing drugs.

Dunbar can practice and play in the preseason but once the regular season starts, he will not take part in anything team related until after the Rams' fourth game, which is a home game against the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 26.

On the last day of training camp Wednesday at Rams Park, Witherspoon said he ready to go and do what is needed.

"It's good to be back out there on the field," said Witherspoon, who started just five games last season with Tennessee. "It's always subject to change, right? That's the way I look at it. It's a good feeling. I just have to hold up my end of the bargain."

Witherspoon last started for the Rams in 2009 before he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for receiver Brandon Gibson. He started his career with Carolina and then signed a free-agent deal with St. Louis in 2006. In 11 seasons, Witherspoon has made 150 starts in 173 regular-season games.

With Dunbar going to miss the start of the season, Rams coach Jeff Fisher plugged in Witherspoon with the first unit defense last Saturday in a home preseason game against Green Bay.

Fisher liked what he saw from the veteran.

"Will was fine. He didn't get a lot of snaps particularly because of Green Bay's personnel that they put on offense," Fisher said. "We had to play a lot of nickel. He played some with the second group. He was fine. He was active. He was where he needed to be."

For Witherspoon, it was important to be back out there and adjusting to the game on the field.
"I think it was really good to get into the game speed," Witherspoon said. "It definitely helps."

When Witherspoon signed in July with St. Louis, he did not know about Dunbar's situation.

"It's unfortunate," Witherspoon said. "It's one we'll all get by. At the end of the day, we've all got to step our game up and fill that void. When he gets back, it's readjustment time. We'll keep rolling forward."

Does Witherspoon have designs on playing well enough to keep the starting job?

"I'm just happy to be back to playing," Witherspoon said. "You can't say this is yours. Nothing is ever handed to you in this game. You've got to earn it, keep it and go."

NOTES: Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf, wearing a Michigan cap to ward off the sun, watched practice while sitting in a golf cart on the sideline. ... RT Rodger Saffold practiced with the first unit in 11-on-11 drills. Saffold dislocated his left shoulder on the Rams' second play in their first possession in the preseason opener at Cleveland. ... Rookie WR Tavon Austin was back at practice after being excused for personal reasons. ... RB Terrance Ganaway, a second-year player from Baylor, told Fisher earlier in the day he was leaving the team to pursue a graduate degree. ... Camp ended with the traditional rookie dizzy bat races that Fisher started in Tennessee. Fisher declared RB Benny Cunningham "pretty impressive" as he struggled to gain his footing after spinning around while being doused with water.

ha...god im old...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Always a WW fan even when he was playing in Carolin . The signing of WW just once again shows that Snead & Fisher really know what they need at least on defense. It was a great pickup that was a need & cap friendly. Between Hull & WW the LB'ing Cadre should be fine. Rams continue to play a bunch of Nickle & Dime defenses more than most of the NFL where LB'ers give way to DB in much playing time.

I was not happy when the Rams inserted WW as the starting MLB .... it took its toll on him early in his career. I can recall WW seeing him flash his elite speed on the outside plus he was an excellent pass rusher too. Down right shame!

Once again Kudos to Snead & Fisher on this move. I also believe he can be a very big influence on the very young OSLB'er Tree and showing Tree was a class act in the NFL is all about. Thanks WW for coming back!