Rams will survive Jackson's departure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Doug Vaughn
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-will-survive-Jacksons-departure--193407951.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-will-su ... 07951.html</a>

steven_jackson_020413.jpg

(Football StL) -- You can’t blame Steven Jackson for wanting to test free agency and try to hook up with a team that has realistic Super Bowl aspirations. He would seem to be a perfect fit in Atlanta. If anybody deserves a chance to play for a contender it’s him. He’s been a great solider for the Rams over the years, and the best player for a lousy team through most of his career.

At first glance, his departure might seem like a terrible thing for a Rams teams already desperate for offensive firepower. But Jeff Fisher won’t be panicking over this. He’d like to have Jackson in his backfield, but not at the $7 million dollar salary SJ39 would have made this year in St. Louis. Jackson’s been an extremely durable player who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards for eight consecutive seasons. But how much does he have left in the tank? He’ll turn 30 in July and has an awful lot of mileage on that body.

As good as Jackson has been with the Rams, the one thing he hasn’t done is break a many long runs or score a lot of touchdowns. He’s an outstanding power back, but he’s not a breakaway threat. The Rams didn’t score a single touchdown last year on a run of more than 10 yards. They’ve been a team that needs long, sustained drives to score, and that’s not a good recipe for success in today’s NFL.

The Rams are desperate for high octane play makers, both at wide receiver and running back. Jackson’s departure will give them a chance to get younger, faster, and hopefully more explosive.Darryl Richardson and Isaiah Peed were drafted last year as running backs and both showed flashes of promise.

The Rams will likely draft another running back this year. Alabama’s Eddie Lacy would be an intriguing pick with one of the Rams two choices in round one. He’s a big back at 6’0”, 220 pounds. He ran for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Crimson Tide in 2012, then ran wild against Notre Dame in the BCS championship game for 140 yards and a touchdown. He’d be a great compliment to Richardson and Peed.

The Rams probably won’t be able to replace Jackson’s production with one player, but two or three younger, quicker runners just might make for a better offense anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
News Bot said:
Doug Vaughn
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-will-survive-Jacksons-departure--193407951.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-will-su ... 07951.html</a>

steven_jackson_020413.jpg

(Football StL) -- You can’t blame Steven Jackson for wanting to test free agency and try to hook up with a team that has realistic Super Bowl aspirations. He would seem to be a perfect fit in Atlanta. If anybody deserves a chance to play for a contender it’s him. He’s been a great solider for the Rams over the years, and the best player for a lousy team through most of his career.

At first glance, his departure might seem like a terrible thing for a Rams teams already desperate for offensive firepower. But Jeff Fisher won’t be panicking over this. He’d like to have Jackson in his backfield, but not at the $7 million dollar salary SJ39 would have made this year in St. Louis. Jackson’s been an extremely durable player who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards for eight consecutive seasons. But how much does he have left in the tank? He’ll turn 30 in July and has an awful lot of mileage on that body.

As good as Jackson has been with the Rams, the one thing he hasn’t done is break a many long runs or score a lot of touchdowns. He’s an outstanding power back, but he’s not a breakaway threat. The Rams didn’t score a single touchdown last year on a run of more than 10 yards. They’ve been a team that needs long, sustained drives to score, and that’s not a good recipe for success in today’s NFL.

The Rams are desperate for high octane play makers, both at wide receiver and running back. Jackson’s departure will give them a chance to get younger, faster, and hopefully more explosive.Darryl Richardson and Isaiah Peed were drafted last year as running backs and both showed flashes of promise.

The Rams will likely draft another running back this year. Alabama’s Eddie Lacy would be an intriguing pick with one of the Rams two choices in round one. He’s a big back at 6’0”, 220 pounds. He ran for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Crimson Tide in 2012, then ran wild against Notre Dame in the BCS championship game for 140 yards and a touchdown. He’d be a great compliment to Richardson and Peed.

The Rams probably won’t be able to replace Jackson’s production with one player, but two or three younger, quicker runners just might make for a better offense anyway.

This is another way to look at things.

Lacy could be the bell cow for years.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
There are some valid points but a few things are clearly overlooked. Do any of you remember how much maybe % wise Jackson actually GOT the ball in our red zone summary or for that matter inside the 10 or even 5 yard line? There in lies one of my issues w/ media or even NFL affiliates overstating TD (lack of) production. I really hope he resigns w/ us and we add a kid like Tavon Austin and possibly another receiving TE threat (to be known late April at the latest.
That's a good start right there to keeping Sjax fresh and always a force inside the 20. We definitely struggled there last season and SJax either didn't get the rips or was on the sideline. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

moklerman

Warner-phile
BatteringRambo said:
There are some valid points but a few things are clearly overlooked. Do any of you remember how much maybe % wise Jackson actually GOT the ball in our red zone summary or for that matter inside the 10 or even 5 yard line? There in lies one of my issues w/ media or even NFL affiliates overstating TD (lack of) production. I really hope he resigns w/ us and we add a kid like Tavon Austin and possibly another receiving TE threat (to be known late April at the latest.
That's a good start right there to keeping Sjax fresh and always a force inside the 20. We definitely struggled there last season and SJax either didn't get the rips or was on the sideline. ;)

26 red zone carries(15 from the 9 or closer). By comparison, Arian Foster had 87. The same Arian Foster who averaged 4.1 ypc and had a long of 46 yards in 2012. SJ averaged 4.1 ypc and had a long of 46 yards in 2012.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Screw this guy! We need him back TRUST ME we have a young team Jax is much needed

iced

moklerman said:
BatteringRambo said:

26 red zone carries(15 from the 9 or closer). By comparison, Arian Foster had 87. The same Arian Foster who averaged 4.1 ypc and had a long of 46 yards in 2012. SJ averaged 4.1 ypc and had a long of 46 yards in 2012.

Foster had a ton more runs of 15 or 20+ yards

moklerman

Warner-phile
iced said:
moklerman said:
BatteringRambo said:

Wouldn't that mean that he had a lot more short runs too, I mean if they both wound up averaging 4.1 ypc?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
moklerman said:
iced said:
moklerman said:
BatteringRambo said:

Wouldn't that mean that he had a lot more short runs too, I mean if they both wound up averaging 4.1 ypc?
You mathemeticians really screw up a lot of theories :lmao:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Our offensive line has been anything but powerful. They just haven't been built that way to this point. I'd love to get to the point when we can say that we are going to line up and run you over, and then do it. We don't have the guards, the FB, the RT, or the TE's to do that.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
BatteringRambo said:

Not sure if you guys remember, but he was snubbed on a few red zone TD runs in 2012. The two that I can remember were in the Washington game where he spiked the ball in frustration (he actually scored on 2 runs, I was at the game) and a TD run @ AZ was called back because of holding. People also have to remember, he doesn't necessarily have a stellar run blocking o-line

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
Not sure if you guys remember, but he was snubbed on a few red zone TD runs in 2012. The two that I can remember were in the Washington game where he spiked the ball in frustration (he actually scored on 2 runs, I was at the game) and a TD run @ AZ was called back because of holding. People also have to remember, he doesn't necessarily have a stellar run blocking o-line

Wasn't he sidelined because he spiked the ball and cost a -5yd penalty?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
shaunpinney said:
rams24/7 said:

Wasn't he sidelined because he spiked the ball and cost a -5yd penalty?
He was hurt on the play and before.
The Rams were fined for not reporting the injury

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've just been looking back at some of the clips / highlights from our 3 RB's especially Ganaway - he's definitely a bull in a china shop type of RB, I think if we do lose Steven, we could see Ganaway could be used for the hard yards... so maybe we do see a runningback by committee kinda approach

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of course we'll survive.

But; I want him back.

The heart of a lion.

A warrior.

Others have tried to steal his nickname but SJ was the original BEAST.