Rams will surely have a good D under Wade. However...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Probably should have said a VERY good D under Wade, huh?

But man, there's gonna be some serious tinkering before opening day, that's for sure.

Outside CB opposite TruJo?
Slot CB candidates?
Is Joyner gonna be a star at FS?
Where, how, and when does JJ get his snaps?
How many CB's and how many S's to keep?
LB depth is gonna be another fierce position battle group. Might be about ST play as the final decider?
And the DL after the starters? Another dogfight.

So many moving parts.

Wade is gonna be busy sorting all this out. But he's got almost 3 months to do it and I have no doubt that he'll enjoy the process.

Top 10 D for sure. Maybe even top 5, or better?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing's for sure in this league 43. I think the defense is a bit weak at CB, but it should be made up for by the pass rush. I just don't like the nickel position as it looks right now, and I'm not totally sold on our one and two CBs either tbh even though I do think the coaching/scheme is there to set them up for success.

Next year Tru will be gone as well. So CB looms as a big need for us IMO. And God forbid we suffer an injury there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

But man, there's gonna be some serious tinkering before opening day, that's for sure.

Slot CB candidates?
LB depth is gonna be another fierce position battle group. Might be about ST play as the final decider?

So many moving parts.

Wade is gonna be busy sorting all this out. But he's got almost 3 months to do it and I have no doubt that he'll enjoy the process.

Top 10 D for sure. Maybe even top 5, or better?

I think that in the next three years a large portion of the defensive personnel will almost be completely turned over. They likely keep Donald and John Johnson, then maybe a few odds and ends, like maybe Webster and/or Joyner. I have my doubts about Ogletree as a 3/4 ilb. I think the entire lb corps will be different guys. The starting corners will too. The depth guys (UDFA's) will all be replaced.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am excited to see the switch and new leadership on defense.

Our defense in recent years has been good... but like the rest of the team, it always seemed to stop short of its potential.

Another thing I am excited about, on both sides of the ball... is in-game adjustments. Under Fisher, whether it be stubbornness or talent I don't know, what you got the first quarter you got the whole game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Kayvon Webster...He knows Wade's defense
Slot CB candidates?
Nickell plays Nickel & Webster could slide into the slot on the dime packages with E.J. Gaines covering the outside.
Should have been playing that position from the outset, will be very effective on the blitz.
Johnson could be part of some of the dime packages as he can cover being a former CB so they could move Joyner to the slot too.
IMO...5 CB's and 4 Safeties....Trumaine, Webster, Gaines, Nickell & Jordan or Kevin Peterson...Alexander, Joyner, Johnson & Davis or Randolph.
Watch out for Teidrick Smith who could be another Darren Bates.
Smart, Longacre & Fox have to be in the mix.

Ram65

Legend
Keep in mind that the defense is on it's way to becoming Cap Heavy if it already isn't. Donald will command a big cap eating contract. Quinn's cap hit goes up in 2018 and 2019. If they decide to keep Ogletree he gets a big contract too. Brokers and Barron are also eating up big cap numbers too. Joyner, Alexander, Gaines, Barwin and Robey-Coleman will be free agents along with others. It would be hard to give TruJo a big long term contract if not impossible.

In short order the Rams went out and secured CBs Webster and Robey-Colemen to sure up the secondary. Webster was highly regarded backup in Denver that was considered start caliber on Wade Phillips Broncos defense. Robey-Coleman was a starter type nickle back cut for cap reasons by the Bills. He takes over for Joyner while Joyner moves to his college position of FS,. The Rams also addressed OLBer with veteran Connor Barwin signing a one year deal and added depth at D Line with Tyrunn Walker an experience inside player.

The Rams already have a solid if not expensive core of defenders at least for this year. Donald, Quinn, Brokers, Ogletree to name a few. They didn't ignore the defense in the draft adding S John Johnson in round 3 who will be good protection for the future free agent safeties Joyner and Alexander. Johnson is solid enough to contribute this season. They got some depth defenders with two Lbers sandwiching a defensive lineman in 4th, 6th and 7th round. Ebukam, Smart and Price will be in competition with some holdover players from last year.

I expect a very good defense this year. Wade Phillips seems to improve defenses where ever he goes. They have starters at every position and managed to add some depth while creating competition for more depth and the future. . I'm hoping the Rams can quickly establish their defensive identity, manage the cap dollars and have players ready to move in when the inevitable free agents leave for more green dollars.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kayvon Webster...He knows Wade's defense
Slot CB candidates?
Nickell plays Nickel & Webster could slide into the slot on the dime packages with E.J. Gaines covering the outside.
Should have been playing that position from the outset, will be very effective on the blitz.
Johnson could be part of some of the dime packages as he can cover being a former CB so they could move Joyner to the slot too.
IMO...5 CB's and 4 Safeties....Trumaine, Webster, Gaines, Nickell & Jordan or Kevin Peterson...Alexander, Joyner, Johnson & Davis or Randolph.
Watch out for Teidrick Smith who could be another Darren Bates.
Smart, Longacre & Fox have to be in the mix.

Very nicely said, den. As usual.

You reinforced my point.

Lots of options for Wade.

Lots of depth at multiple positions this year.

Gonna be some new contributors on D this year.

Question for you: If they only carry 9 for the secondary as you suggest, do you think that opens the door for possibly carrying 7 WR's?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Question for you: If they only carry 9 for the secondary as you suggest, do you think that opens the door for possibly carrying 7 WR's?

Positional Breakdown for final 53

OL....9
RB....3
FB....1
WR...6
TE...4
QB...2
ST....3
DL...8
LB...8
CB...5
SS...4

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

OL....9
RB....3
FB....1
WR...6
TE...4
QB...2
ST....3
DL...8
LB...8
CB...5
SS...4

Alrighty then, den.

Precious little to disagree with there, man. Especially on your O projections.

I see Rogers making it at FB, too, so nothing to gain there.

I see 4 TE's, as well, so nothing there, either.

I can't imagine less than 9 OL, so still no position saved.

The only possible savings might be at DL. Carrying 7 vs 8? That's doable, isn't it?

I mean, only if that last WR cut is excruciating after some "real fine" depth/development WR summer performances? WR's can be handy on ST, too.

Nice problem(s) to have, I suppose. But Gawd!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I mean, only if that last WR cut is excruciating after some "real fine" depth/development WR summer performances? WR's can be handy on ST, too.

They carried 7 wide receivers last year for a couple of weeks, went light at linebacker with 5, then had an injury and had to reshuffle. IMHO, 6 is he number anything more and going light in another area could cost you. I recall one year during the Spagnuolo regime the Rams only went with four wide receivers in order to keep extra defensive linemen and one of the WR's was Danny Amendola who returned punts and was known for not being very durable and low and behold in one game the Rams lost Amendola and had to line up a TE wide when going to four wide outs....Outrageous.

I understand about keeping the best 53, however, you can't leave yourself short either and that comes with managing a roster, so unless the 7th WR is Crazy Legs Hirsch or Tom Fears and in that case cut the 6th guy....You should never be left with a shortage at one position unless there are a multitude of injuries, which can't be controlled.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

OL....9
RB....3
FB....1
WR...6
TE...4
QB...2
ST....3
DL...8
LB...8
CB...5
SS...4
This^ is pretty much the way I see it, except I have us carrying 3 QB's and 8 O-Lineman!(y);):D

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This^ is pretty much the way I see it, except I have us carrying 3 QB's and 8 O-Lineman!(y);):D

The Rams don't have a third QB, but they do have some young offensive linemen, Dylan Thompson IMHO does not make the roster and I have these 9 offensive linemen barring injury.

LT...Whitworth
LG...Saffold, Donnal
C...Sullivan, Eldrenkamp
RG...Havenstein, Wichmann
RT...Brown

Robinson or Murphy is number 9.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams don't have a third QB, but they do have some young offensive linemen, Dylan Thompson IMHO does not make the roster and I have these 9 offensive linemen barring injury.

LT...Whitworth
LG...Saffold, Donnal
C...Sullivan, Eldrenkamp
RG...Havenstein, Wichmann
RT...Brown

Robinson or Murphy is number 9.
I was just guessing that McVay might carry 3 QB,s to start the Season in case of injury.
I prefer it, your way, with 2 QB's and 9 O-Lineman!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I recall one year during the Spagnuolo regime the Rams only went with four wide receivers in order to keep extra defensive linemen and one of the WR's was Danny Amendola who returned punts and was known for not being very durable and low and behold in one game the Rams lost Amendola and had to line up a TE wide when going to four wide outs....Outrageous.

Didn't we do the same at CB one season?

If I recall, at one point, our entire CB group was picked up in-season due to injuries to the 4 that made the initial roster.

:rant:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Didn't we do the same at CB one season?

If I recall, at one point, our entire CB group was picked up in-season due to injuries to the 4 that made the initial roster.

You are correct one year Spagnuolo did it at WR and the next year CB, but man did we have depth on the defensive line.
nsh.gif

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I was just guessing that McVay might carry 3 QB,s to start the Season in case of injury.
I prefer it, your way, with 2 QB's and 9 O-Lineman!
With them bringing in Dylam Thompson, he could probably be sent to the PS with no worries about him being snatched up. So you still basically have your 3 QB's

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With them bringing in Dylam Thompson, he could probably be sent to the PS with no worries about him being snatched up. So you still basically have your 3 QB's
Don't see him making it at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very nicely said, den. As usual.

You reinforced my point.

Lots of options for Wade.

Lots of depth at multiple positions this year.

Gonna be some new contributors on D this year.

I have not put in the numbers myself.

QB's 2
RB 3
FB 1
TE's 3
WR - yes 7
OL 9
ST 3
--- defense ?

I do think CB position will have a player of surprise. Then there is Troy Hill missing a couple games ? I like this Kevin Peterson kid .

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

OL....9
RB....3
FB....1
WR...6
TE...4
QB...2
ST....3
DL...8
LB...8
CB...5
SS...4
Nice list, imo though one less DL one more DB other than that I'm with you.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Don't see him (Dylan Thompson) making it at all.

It will almost have to have a virtual third stringer, (more than likely on the practice squad).

If you have an injury at quarterback, you need to have another one practicing with the team and learning the offense during the season in case he needs to get called in.