Rams will part ways with Gibson (and maybe DA & Hayes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-wr-gibson-will-part-ways/article_4982958e-1028-5373-8742-450f0e292ac4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 92ac4.html</a>

Free-agent wide receiver Brandon Gibson is looking for a fresh start and won’t return to the Rams next season, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday.

[hil]The Rams were interested in re-signing Gibson, but only to a point[/hil] as they attempt the annual task of upgrading their wide receiver corps. In a commitment to young wideouts Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis, the Rams wanted Gibson back in a role and for money commensurate to a No. 3 or No. 4 wideout.

But there has been healthy interest in Gibson in the free agent market and plenty of phone calls from other teams as the NFL’s so-called “legal tampering period’’ begin Saturday (or late Friday night outside of the Eastern time zone).

Indications are that Gibson will have a chance for a No. 2 role (or at worst a No. 3) with a contract offer expected soon. The free-agency period begins Tuesday afternoon.

Acquired by the Rams as part of the Will Witherspoon trade with Philadelphia on Oct. 20, 2009, Gibson has caught 174 passes for 2,090 yards (12.0 yards per catch) with nine touchdowns in 54 games for the Rams. Over Gibson’s 3½ seasons in St. Louis, only Danny Amendola caught more passes (187) and no receiver has had more yards or TDs.

Once you get past the “glitter” in this year’s free-agent wide receiver crop, namely Mike Wallace (Pittsburgh), Wes Welker (New England) and Greg Jennings (Green Bay), the market falls off noticeably. With that in mind, the interest Gibson has generated isn't really surprising.

The lean market also could work in Amendola’s favor. Brian Hartline provided a benchmark of sorts Friday when he re-signed with Miami for a reported $6.1 million a year over five years, saying he gave the Dolphins a home-team discount at that.

That’s the kind of deal Amendola seeks, according to those familiar with the negotiations. That’s more than the Rams are willing to invest, given Amendola’s recent injury history. So he appears headed to the market once free agency starts Tuesday. [hil]And if the market materializes as expected by Amendola’s agents, he will be headed to a new team sooner rather than later.[/hil]

[hil]Similarly, the market for defensive end William Hayes is expected to be much higher than the Rams are willing to pay for someone who is a No. 3 end in St. Louis[/hil]. So he also could be out after recording seven sacks and playing strong run defense last year.

As for running back Steven Jackson, there weren’t a lot of phone calls inquiring about him Saturday according to those close to Jackson. But Atlanta still is regarded as the frontrunner for his services, and the Falcons aren’t the only team interested.

During a barrage of media interviews Thursday and Friday in New York, Jackson sounded very much like someone who has made his mind up to leave the Rams.

“I understand the business side of it,” Jackson told Sirius XM NFL Radio. “I still have a great relationship with the (Rams’) organization, and one day I’ll be going back there.”

Just not as a player. Jackson said it wasn’t about the money, although the Rams were prepared to offer him about $3.5 million to return — or about half the $7 million he was due in 2013 before voiding his contract. More bothersome to Jackson is what shaped up as a reduced role as the Rams commit more to youngsters Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson — and perhaps a new back — in the running game.

The Rams’ front office stayed up late Friday and was up early Saturday, making calls and monitoring the first day of the 3½-day legal tampering period. Phone calls with outside free agents are allowed, and so is negotiating. But the NFL sent out memos to all teams saying no contracts can be signed — and teams can’t even agree to terms — until after 3 p.m. (St. Louis time) Tuesday.

With William Moore re-signing with Atlanta, another possible option was taken off the free-agent market for the Rams at safety. But Houston’s Grover Quin remains a possibility, and Detroit’s Louis Delmas could be even more attractive to the Rams now that former Lions secondary coach Tim Walton is the Rams’ defensive coordinator.

At offensive tackle, the St. Louis-based CAA sports agency could hold the key because agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra represent Sam Baker (Atlanta), Jake Long (Miami), Andre Smith (Cincinnati) and Sebastian Vollmer (New England). The only other “name” tackles represented by other agents are Minnesota’s Phil Loadholt and New Orleans’ Jermon Bushrod.

At outside linebacker, sources said the Rams have at least some interest in Oakland’s Phillip Wheeler and Baltimore’s Dannell Ellerbe. Jacksonville’s Daryl Smith could be another possibility, but he turns 31 on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Rams have made one-year tender offers to retain a pair of exclusive rights free agents: center/guard Tim Barnes (University of Missouri) and tight end Mike McNeill (Kirkwood High). Exclusive rights free agents are players with fewer than three years NFL experience. Once they are tendered, their only options are to play with that club or not play at all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
On a team that needs to add talent; thats losing 3 of our "good" players right there.

Hayes was the one guy I was hoping we'd have less competition for.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
On a team that needs to add talent; thats losing 3 of our "good" players right there.

+1. I was afraid Hayes was going to exponentially increase his asking price and he did. He deserves it, we just cant afford to fork over that much money to a guy that's not a starter

A55VA6

Legend
Out of Gibby, Danny, and William.. I want to keep William the most. He's a fantastic player and his role on our team is perfect.

I like Gibby but too much inconsistency. Lines up wrong, bad route running on certain plays, drops, stuff like that. And if Danny wants to leave, leave. We aren't going to pay big money for someone who is going to get injured constantly. I love Danny, but the guy is prone to injury and I don't see it ending.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

Pass rushers come at a premium, and 7 sacks in part-time duty is very, very impressive.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think we will sign Wheeler and solidify that group of backers.

duckhunter

Starter
Now that was an informative, timely and pertinent article. My hat's off to PD on this one.

Don't particularly like the info, but to be expected.

Wheeler is an up and comer so that's a welcome addition.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CGI_Ram said:

Ugh, Ugh and Ugh

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X(and whoever else told me he'd be more expensive), it seems you were right about Hayes. I am sad that we can't hold onto him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

Pass rushers come at a premium, and 7 sacks in part-time duty is very, very impressive.

Yeah, but it was situational. And... It's not like he was a sack master prior to 2012.

I'm still holding out hope he comes back.