Rams Will Draft a QB Early....Balzer Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's more of a possibility if we trade down, and gain extra picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I was going to ask what the article said because I dont read bleacher report. I agree 4th-5th rd is not early.
They talked about a QB as high as the 2nd round, but it was from Balzer, in a video interview, and that was one of many scenarios. That was the title on Yahoo, and you can change it if you want.

BTW, if anyone doesn't know this already. I'm a HUGE Bradford fan, but since A. Davis didn't pan out, I think we need to start developing another young one, and this is a pretty good draft to do that, IMO. I'd rather pick a guy in the 4th or later, but it all depends on how everything falls.

PhxRam

They talked about a QB as high as the 2nd round, but it was from Balzer, in a video interview, and that was one of many scenarios. That was the title on Yahoo, and you can change it if you want.

No need..

I know you wouldnt put a misleading title up there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No need..

I know you wouldnt put a misleading title up there.
Yeah, but after I posted it, and listened to the whole thing, it is kind of inflammatory to some. Your call. I would not be offended.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still like Brett Smith as our developmental QB. Think he'll be great value in the 5th or 6th round.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams draft Savage, it has Frank Cignetti (Rams QB Coach) all over and he carries more weight than I thought, which is good because when Schottenheimer leaves (hopefullY) IMO Cignetti could be the offensive coordinator. Savage was set to join Rutgers, but then deciided against it and if Cignetti still feels that strongly about him and the Rams go in that direction than apparently the QB Coach has some clout.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I still like Brett Smith as our developmental QB. Think he'll be great value in the 5th or 6th round.
This is where you and disagree. I just don't see it in Brett Smith and not that it means really that much, but how many NFL QB's has Wyoming produced? I understand, it only takes one, but IMO because of some comments by Demoff IMO the latest the Rams will draft a signal caller is the 4th round.

I also believe the Rams are looking for more than a developmental QB they want someone who would be ready in 2015 and IMO that is not Smith.

RamsFan14

Starter
Yeah, but after I posted it, and listened to the whole thing, it is kind of inflammatory to some. Your call. I would not be offended.

It was Bleacher Reports title, not yours. I initially thought they meant first round when I saw the title, what else could early mean with the picks we have? Lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where you and disagree. I just don't see it in Brett Smith and not that it means really that much, but how many NFL QB's has Wyoming produced? I understand, it only takes one, but IMO because of some comments by Demoff IMO the latest the Rams will draft a signal caller is the 4th round.

I also believe the Rams are looking for more than a developmental QB they want someone who would be ready in 2015 and IMO that is not Smith.

They had a QB drafted a decade ago that played in the NFL a few years. I figure it's worth asking, how had Oklahoma QBs fared in the NFL before Bradford? How had Delaware QBs fared in the NFL before Flacco? How had Tennessee QBs fared in the NFL before Manning?

Each QB is their own man. Don't really think it's fair to criticize Smith on account of the QBs that came before him. Said the same thing about Bradford when people were using Josh Heupel and Jason White against him in 2010.

Why do I like Smith? He's very athletic and mobile. He has a compact, quick release with a high release point. He maneuvers the pocket well. He's aggressive and a competitive guy.(although his aggressiveness can be a detriment at times) And he showed the ability to thread the needle in college and produce on a team without much talent(aside from Robert Herron at WR).

As I've said before, I think he compares to Jake Plummer. Has similar size, is very mobile, and has that same gunslinger mentality that can get him into trouble(because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm).

If the Rams want someone who will be ready in 2015, they're going to have to pick a QB early then. And even then, they might not find a guy. So if they're doubting Bradford for 2015...might as well just use a 1st this year on Bridgewater or Bortles.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This is who we've worked out so far.

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (PRI)
Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia (PRI/PRO)
Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU (PRI)
Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh (PRI)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I like Savage late and think the ready by 2015 comment is defeatist, predicting Bradford is not in the picture after this season.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They had a QB drafted a decade ago that played in the NFL a few years. I figure it's worth asking, how had Oklahoma QBs fared in the NFL before Bradford? How had Delaware QBs fared in the NFL before Flacco? How had Tennessee QBs fared in the NFL before Manning?

Each QB is their own man. Don't really think it's fair to criticize Smith on account of the QBs that came before him. Said the same thing about Bradford when people were using Josh Heupel and Jason White against him in 2010.

Why do I like Smith? He's very athletic and mobile. He has a compact, quick release with a high release point. He maneuvers the pocket well. He's aggressive and a competitive guy.(although his aggressiveness can be a detriment at times) And he showed the ability to thread the needle in college and produce on a team without much talent(aside from Robert Herron at WR).

As I've said before, I think he compares to Jake Plummer. Has similar size, is very mobile, and has that same gunslinger mentality that can get him into trouble(because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm).

If the Rams want someone who will be ready in 2015, they're going to have to pick a QB early then. And even then, they might not find a guy. So if they're doubting Bradford for 2015...might as well just use a 1st this year on Bridgewater or Bortles.

Never questioned your analyses just wanted to find out why you liked him so much and I guess my issue is I never liked Jake Plummer, but it's not like a dislike Smith, it's just that IMO Ihave a feeling the Rams are going to draft a QB earlier because if Bradford cannot last the season Shaun Hill is an upgrade over Clements, but they want somebody who they feel can lead them later on. In the end maybe Smith could be that guy, but it seems that if Tom Savage is drafted Frank Cignetti must feel pretty strongly about him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What is this stuff about needing a QB to be ready by 2015?

It sounds like everyone figures they won't sign Bradford. Could it mean that they won't keep Hill? So they will need him to be the real backup?