Rams will be looking for 2 new WR next season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Looks pretty obvious the Gibson is starting by default right now. I like him as a depth guy and role player, but it looks as if he is getting phased out. He had NO targets today. He's a free agent and I don't see the Rams offering anything to him beyond a vet minimum at most.

Steve Smith is going to be gone as well.

So the question is where do the Rams look to add receivers?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
Looks pretty obvious the Gibson is starting by default right now. I like him as a depth guy and role player, but it looks as if he is getting phased out. He had NO targets today. He's a free agent and I don't see the Rams offering anything to him beyond a vet minimum at most.

According to Snead, you gotta develop your own. So, I guess, the draft.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

I wonder how early they add to this spot. Ideally I'd like to see them add a contributor somewhere in the 3rd-4th range...and hopefully get a KR/PR somewhere.

ZGare

UDFA
One key to today's win was no interceptions or fumbles by Sam Bradford. But not many big plays because nobody can get separation on this team, or Sam has no confidence they know the plays and will run to the correct spots. When we won the Super Bowl, we had two number one draft picks at wide receiver. Now we have zero. Just think what we could have done with Julio Jones. In the draft, we need at least one game changer wide receiver that can get separation from the defender. I see that Danario Alexander had a big day with San Diego, even though they lost.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

I wonder how early they add to this spot. Ideally I'd like to see them add a contributor somewhere in the 3rd-4th range...and hopefully get a KR/PR somewhere.
I'd like to see them take one high, but I think safety and OLB are bigger needs at the moment. I suppose it all depends on how much Quick develops this year. SO stoked by how much better Givens has been getting the past couple of weeks, and because of that, I think he could become like a DeSean Jackson for this team. Only without the attitude and with better hands.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we only need one WR. I agree Smith is a goner and Gibson is indeed invisible right now. Givens is indeed developing nicely. If Quick will get better and Pettis gets some looks, the Rams are sitting pretty if they draft "that" other WR.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wouldn't be upset drafting 1 with one of the first 4 picks, as long as we keep Amendola. Givens is legit, and as long as Quick develops he will be as well, I believe he will.

I can see looking to FA for the second one. Gotta lock up Amendola though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
I wouldn't be upset drafting 1 with one of the first 4 picks, as long as we keep Amendola. Givens is legit, and as long as Quick develops he will be as well, I believe he will.

Think Amendola's completely reckless & fearless nature matches up well with his body/frame? Seems like he's getting hurt every game. I love the fact that it'll take a severed leg to keep him from wanting to play (and even then... lol), but it's a bit of a concern to me that he gets dinged up so much.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I almost feel bad for calling Givens a one trick pony, but they still need another guy to line up outside in a bad way.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Think Amendola's completely reckless & fearless nature matches up well with his body/frame? Seems like he's getting hurt every game. I love the fact that it'll take a severed leg to keep him from wanting to play (and even then... lol), but it's a bit of a concern to me that he gets dinged up so much.

Yeah same here, but I'm hoping that if we can have Givens and other guys contribute more we wont have to give it to Amendola 15 times a game and those hits will minimize a bit.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would really like Woods, Allen, or Da'Rick Rogers. After that I don't think any of it is an upgrade over what we have now.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
[quote="X]Think Amendola's completely reckless & fearless nature matches up well with his body/frame? Seems like he's getting hurt every game. I love the fact that it'll take a severed leg to keep him from wanting to play (and even then... lol), but it's a bit of a concern to me that he gets dinged up so much.[/quote]

Part of this might be due to the number of times Sam targets DA in a game. With Givens, Kendricks, Pettis, Quick starting to see more balls thrown to them, it will take some of the pressure off of Sam having to target DA so much. This might reduce the probability of DA getting injuried.

Regarding what needs to happen in the off-season for the 2013 season, we re-sign Amendola, sign a free agent and draft another big receiver. Givens is proving to be a great addition and Sam's security blanket when Danny is not on the field. Quick will need another year to learn the offense and should be effective next year. Pettis will also continue to get better. Gibson will probably not return testing the free agency waters and Smith won't be asked back.

Here are some of the receivers that will be free agents after season, and I only listed the notable ones.

Donald Jones (BUF) (RFA)
David Nelson (BUF) (RFA)
Andrew Hawkins (CIN) (Ex)
Brandon Stokley (DEN)
Greg Jennings (GB)
Donnie Avery (IND)
Austin Collie (IND)
Dwayne Bowe (KC)
Brian Hartline (MIA)
Julian Edelman (NE)
Wes Welker (NE)
Victor Cruz (NYG) (RFA)
Emmanuel Sanders (PIT) (RFA)
Mike Wallace (PIT)
Ted Ginn (SF)

RFA-Restricted Free Agent
Ex - Exclusive Free Agent

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
HitStick said:
I would really like Woods, Allen, or Da'Rick Rogers. After that I don't think any of it is an upgrade over what we have now.

It's hard to say. I know a lot of folks (myself included) were like, "who?" when the Rams drafted Givens. I realize hitting on a 4th round WR is the exception rather than the rule...but there is ALWAYS a handful of players that aren't talked about in the draft that teams end up hitting on.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Danny Amendola isn't resigned, we could be looking for two next year. I like Pettis on special teams, and I have high hopes for Givens and Quick, but I still think that a receiver and another tight end are must-haves as it stands.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Whatever we do, we gotta figure out who will be drafting top 3 in 2015 and get their first rounder so we can snag that 6'6 Freshman at Mizzou. That's probably the next Calvin Johnson.

Memento

Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
Whatever we do, we gotta figure out who will be drafting top 3 in 2015 and get their first rounder so we can snag that 6'6 Freshman at Mizzou. That's probably the next Calvin Johnson.

Dorial Green-Beckham? He's not there yet. He got into trouble during the season (was suspended for a game because of marijuana usage), and I can count three other wideouts on Mizzou alone who outplayed him (Marcus Lucas, T.J. Moe, and L'Damian Washington). He shone during some games (Tennessee), but in most games, he was practically invisible.

His skillset may be close to Johnson's, but in terms of putting together the tools, Johnson is in a whole nother universe. Green-Beckham worried me a lot more than he impressed.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Sum1BTRthnU said:
HitStick said:

It's hard to say. I know a lot of folks (myself included) were like, "who?" when the Rams drafted Givens. I realize hitting on a 4th round WR is the exception rather than the rule...but there is ALWAYS a handful of players that aren't talked about in the draft that teams end up hitting on.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this. After watching some of the talent upcoming in the draft, there's definitely some there. There's going to be a lot of differentiating opinions on this WR class. I have no doubt the Rams will do their homework again.

I'm not against a Dwayne Bowe coming here either. We all know Sams success with established receivers.

Kids from Tennessee and WV look damn good too. There's talent all over the board, it's just a matter of doing your homework.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Memento said:
bluecoconuts said:

Dorial Green-Beckham? He's not there yet. He got into trouble during the season (was suspended for a game because of marijuana usage), and I can count three other wideouts on Mizzou alone who outplayed him (Marcus Lucas, T.J. Moe, and L'Damian Washington). He shone during some games (Tennessee), but in most games, he was practically invisible.

His skillset may be close to Johnson's, but in terms of putting together the tools, Johnson is in a whole nother universe. Green-Beckham worried me a lot more than he impressed.

Really? That's a shame... I'm sure he'll put it all together as his college career progresses. But if he slips because of "Character" concerns, given what Fisher did with Jenkins, I wouldn't complain.

Memento

Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
Memento said:
bluecoconuts said:

Really? That's a shame... I'm sure he'll put it all together as his college career progresses. But if he slips because of "Character" concerns, given what Fisher did with Jenkins, I wouldn't complain.

I hope he does, for my school's sake. We didn't have much to cheer about this year - on or off the field. I'm also hoping that Lucas, Washington, and Gaines (cornerback, defensive leader) don't leave early. I'm beyond fucking glad that Sheldon Richardson's not coming back, though.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah same here, but I'm hoping that if we can have Givens and other guys contribute more we wont have to give it to Amendola 15 times a game and those hits will minimize a bit.
Yeah, I agree, which is why I think the Rams only need one more WR. Resign DA, then draft one high (within the first two rounds), then see if Quick can develop. It will definitely give Sam some more time. I really like the OL play so far, but I still think we need to add another lineman as well in order to give our offense some more punch.