Rams were close on a lot of plays/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams were close on a lot of plays
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f621239b-e49f-5b8d-be3f-bcdc7c2a8118.html

In recent shutout victories over Oakland and Washington, everything, it seemed, fell the Rams’ way.

Not on Thursday night.

In a game of near-misses, the Rams couldn’t seem to catch — or create — a break in a 12-6 loss to the NFC West-leading Arizona Cardinals at the Edward Jones Dome.

“It seemed like everything we put out there was being shut down. We just couldn’t get into any type of rhythm,” tight end Jared Cook said. “All it takes is a spark, one good play. After that, it can be contagious because everybody else feeds off that energy. Our defense played a heckuva game. They kept me going all night and gave us opportunities by flipping the field for us and we just weren’t able to capitalize.

“All we put up was six points. That’s a pretty unsuccessful night if you ask me.”

Cook continued: “It’s hard to win in this game when you don’t score touchdowns. You can’t keep kicking field goals. Even at that, we only gave (kicker Greg) Zuerlein two chances. We have to be better.”

The Rams, who saw their record fall to 6-8, started strong. After forcing a punt to open the game, they moved crisply, thanks to Shaun Hill passes to Benny Cunningham (19 yards) Cory Harkey (21 yards) and Cook (nine yards). But after a third-and-one Cunningham run from the Arizona 7 was stuffed, the Rams settled for a 24-yard Zuerlein field goal and a 3-0 lead.

The Cardinals tied it early in the second quarter, taking advantage of a Tre Mason fumble. The visitors capitalized on a 38-yard pass from Drew Stanton to Michael Floyd to get another Chandler Catanzaro field goal midway through the second quarter to take a 6-3 lead to halftime.

On the following possession, the Rams were forced to punt after Stedman Bailey came up a yard short on third down after bobbling a pass from Hill.

“You tip you hat to the Cardinals; that’s one of the best defenses we’ve faced this season,” Bailey said. “They made plays and we didn’t. It’s frustrating, sure, because we know the type of talent we have. We just didn’t make enough plays tonight.”

Stanton, Arizona’s QB, left the game in the third after hurting his knee on an Aaron Donald sack. Two plays later, Catanzaro booted a 53-yard field goal to make it 9-3.

On the Cardinals’ next drive, Rams corner Janoris Jenkins picked off a pass from back-up Ryan Lindley. But after a booth review, the pass was ruled incomplete.

“I thought it was a pick,” Jenkins said. “I didn’t think the ground could cause a fumble. I had my hand under the ball, but they ruled it incomplete.”

The Rams were down 12-3 when they put together their best drive of the second half. A 38-yard pass from Hill to Bailey got things started. Later in the drive, on a second-and-goal play from the 7, Hill and Bailey hooked up again. But the second-year receiver from West Virginia was stopped at the 1.

“I was close. Very close,” Bailey said. “It still bothers me that I wasn’t able to get in. I tried to reach the ball out, but my body was already down, I guess.”

On third down, Hill rolled to his right but couldn’t find an receiver. He threw the ball away, and the Rams settled for 19-yard Zuerlein field goal that made it 12-6 with 6:07 to play.

“They played it well,” Hill said of the third-down play. “You’d certainly like to have those plays back and convert those drives into touchdowns. That changed the game. We’ve got to give them credit, too. They’re a very good defense.”

On the next Arizona possession, Jenkins managed to knock out the ball from Cardinals’ back Kerwynn Williams, but Arizona tackle Jared Veldheer came up with the loose ball.

“That was the play that we needed in this game,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We got the ball out, but we just couldn’t get on it. If ‘Jenks’ turns one way and not the other, he might have a better chance to get it, but that’s football.”

“Just trying to make a play, trying to make something happen,” said Jenkins, who also narrowly missed picking off a pass in the flat that could’ve ended up as a pick-6. “But we couldn’t get things to go our way. It’s frustrating, but you can’t point fingers. It’s a team game. The offense, the defense and the special teams all have to come together so that we can finish as strong as possible.”

The night was frustrating all around.

“We had opportunities,” Fisher said. “We made some plays, but we just couldn’t consistently put drives together. We couldn’t covert third downs to keep drives alive, and they’ve got an outstanding defense.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams were down 12-3 when they put together their best drive of the second half. A 38-yard pass from Hill to Bailey got things started. Later in the drive, on a second-and-goal play from the 7, Hill and Bailey hooked up again. But the second-year receiver from West Virginia was stopped at the 1.
That play really did look like the Kevin Dyson Denial of 1999. Spooky.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There was also a screen play early where it looked like Cunningham might have picked up some good yards if he caught it cleanly. Of course, if I'm not mistaken, that was the last screen play the Rams ran the entire game.:mad:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This article is pretty much exactly what I said in the vent thread. Crazy how 100% of the close plays bounced AZ's way. All the Rams needed was one but it just didn't happen.

On a side note, what is JJ talking about? Scary thought that a player doesn't know the difference between fumble and reception rules.