Rams want Todd Gurley to improve his pass blocking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/rams-want-todd-gurley-to-improve-his-pass-blocking/

Rams want Todd Gurley to improve his pass blocking

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 15, 2017, 4:56 AM EST
624665214.jpg
Getty Images
Rams running back Todd Gurley was one of the most disappointing players in the NFL last season, falling from 4.8 yards a carry as a rookie in 2015 to just 3.2 yards a carry in 2016. But running the ball isn’t what the Rams think Gurley needs to improve.

Asked what Gurley needs to work on, Rams running backs coach Skip Peete said pass protection.

“It has nothing to do with the running game,” Peete told ESPN. “I think the most important thing in this league, as far as a running back is concerned, is his ability to pass protect, whether it’s first or second down. Because they think it’s easy. They’ve all come into the league comfortable as a runner. But that aspect of it is a little bit different than you’re accustomed to coming out of college. He and I talk about that all the time — your ability to completely understand the blocking scheme, whether it’s run or pass.”

The Rams like the running back they drafted in 2015, but the player they really need to develop is the quarterback they drafted in 2016, Jared Goff. The NFL is such a pass-oriented league that even when you’re a franchise running back, your biggest job is protecting the franchise quarterback.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I like how it's explained that he needs to grow in his understanding of the blocking scheme in general, whether that be pass or run.

Makes me think of our legend Faulk. A guy who was regarded as one of the smartest players on the field at all times.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I like how it's explained that he needs to grow in his understanding of the blocking scheme in general, whether that be pass or run.

Makes me think of our legend Faulk. A guy who was regarded as one of the smartest players on the field at all times.

Wouldnt be nice if Faulk got to spend some time with Gurley during the off season.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Wouldnt be nice if Faulk got to spend some time with Gurley during the off season.

What's stopping that from actually making that happen?. All it takes is a little extra effort. It may be extracurricular but who cares. Party is over start hitting the books.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What's stopping that from actually making that happen?. All it takes is a little extra effort. It may be extracurricular but who cares. Party is over start hitting the books.

Most likely it's Faulk's schedule that stops it from happening.

I like that they want him to focus on his pass protection, it's important, Jackson saved many a play with his ability to pick up the blitz and pass protect.

Gurley said that he wants the team to be built around Goff, so his ability to help will be big. That'll help spring him for runs or dump off passes to gain a lot of yardage as well.