Rams want Tavon to be more like Desean Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It amazes me to see the Tavon loyalty and support, despite the statistical evidence that's been provided on multiple occasions.

His contract and his production are a league wide joke, fellas.

Look, it's not personal with me. And I hope that McVay can turn Tavon's career around. I really do.

But unless and until that happens, Tavon is best described as Fisher's Folly, as far as I'm concerned.
I think this years Stats for Tavon, and the rest of the teams, will prove once and for all, besides the O-Line, the main problem the last year or so, Has been Coaching style and philosophy!
McVay and the New staff are concentrating on Technic and execution. This will pay off!!(y)(y);):D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Josh Gordon didn't have any problems with the Cleveland QB's throwing his way. Neither did Kenny Britt last year, and a lot of Britt's receptions were long balls.. Tavon might be a better running back than Desean Jackson, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Tavon will EVER become a #1 WR like Jackson. JMHO
Josh Gordon played in a better offense for WR production, how many off tackle runs did he have to attempt?
As for Britt and last year, how he do his other seasons in horns?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
There are 2 #'s in those comparison's that stick out to me and both give me pause when i think about TA being able to make that kind of (no pun intended) "leap" as a player. His height (he is 2" smaller than both of those guys) and his vertical (again another 2+" less) don't shout that he has the physical ability to "win" if he is being covered decently. Only way I can see him being consistent in that role is by being wide open. But there is another deficiency that shows up in his game , is the ability to beat press coverage.

IDK ..... I have serious doubts that he can or will ever be a DJ/AB type WR in this league. i'll hope that McVay and Co. can scheme it and develop it ... but i have my doubts.

…..

Legend
This wierd thread wont die?

I really dislike the thread title, its always bothered me. The Rams dont want anything but for Tavon to be Tavon. I will agree, he needs to add to his 20 and 40 yard reception totals. But Jackson 56 receptions for 4 TD's compares well to Tavon 58 receptions and 3 TD's

I dont think Tavon is ever going to be a boonified downfield threat. His niche is going to be breaking big plays from scrimmage by taking advantage of down and distance situations. Situations I hope, that no longer include 2 yard passes on 3rd and 4

I want our players to be like Rams, not Redskins.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The entire offense took a backward step last year. TA is yet another highly skilled player that was stuck in that thing they were trying to pass off as an offense. In my eyes, almost everyone has a clean slate. The idea that Jackson is a better receiver is based on NFL not college. How much of that was situation? I guess we'll see.

Ram65

Legend
I think the author just wanted to compare similar players....and come to some conclusions that many have already stated. The thread is, "rams want Tavon to be more like D-Jax"....and ole Joe Redeman says it aint so..He listed several stats to back up his argument..Debating 101....You either agree or you don't. I'd like to see the actual # of deep passes attempted to Tavon....Greater than 15 yards...Other than that...pretty straight forward, if he has trouble catching short passes, how's he gonna do with longer/tougher throws?

Haven't been here in awhile.

Tavon had 7 drops last year but only 3 in 2015. He doesn't have great hands. Last year they kept throwing the bubble screens that every defense knew were coming. Some of these short throws are actually in a lot of traffic with defenders and blockers all around. Because defenses knew they were coming they weren't set up for success. Some just didn't matter if they were caught because the defense was ready. I think Tavon lost some concentration because he was trying to make a play. I'm not sure what these have to do with getting him the ball deep.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000279028/Tavon-Austin-57-yard-touchdown-catch

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiJOz0fSKY

I say use Tavon like 2015 but add some more deep passes. Goff has the arm and Tavon can get by any one. They need to mix it up so teams aren't sitting on the bubble screens or deep passes.

2015 Highlights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD31Do9yRBo

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think RamsFan503 said it best. Everyone has a clean slate. Let's judge after this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams dont want anything but for Tavon to be Tavon.

I get where you're comin from in the gist of your post Dog, but tbh the Rams do want MORE from Tavon. There is no way they are content to pay him what he is being paid to be the Tavon of previous seasons.

He has to go deep, for starters. McVay is going to dial that up for him much more than in the past, and it should open up the underneath stuff for him when DBs who don't have his speed and change of direction cannot just sit on the short routes.

He has to run precise routes. Without that his playing time will be reduced as the season goes on and he'll end up an obvious post-season cut. Being where you're supposed to be, exact route depth, is a requirement in this offense.

He has to catch the ball. Nothing can be done with his micro catch radius, but when the ball hits his hands he's gotta reel it in. Once again drops at key moments are near as bad as turnovers and will lead to his playing time being reduced.

If you total up those basic things, you have a lot of similarities to how Desean was used. Desean is not a great team guy, but he runs good routes, goes deep, and reels the ball in.