Rams want Tavon to be more like Desean Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quite frankly, I question if Tavon Austin is really all that far away from Desean Jackson now. Sure, he has some improving to do in some areas, but his circumstances have held him back quite a bit, IMO (QB, scheme, plan for his use).

Take a look at Jackson's big plays down the field. More times than not, he just simply takes off down the field and runs by defenders. Nothing special via technique or anything. Just God given speed & a QB that can get him the ball downfield.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The key to this offense having success if the O-Line providing Goff time to go through his progressions allowing him to make the right throw. This and being able to establish a consistent running game to compliment the passing game. So, basically this offense goes as the O-Line goes.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Whatever we did in the Indy game....let's do more of that

It's not what the RAMS did, it's the defense the opposition chose to play. Indy opted to play man-to-man most of that game and Tavon was able to beat the coverage every play AND the QB got him the ball. But, most teams play Zone when Tavon is on the field. The Rams play calling along with Tavon's inability to make catches over the middle have hindered the teams ability to move the ball against this type of coverage.

If they have Tavon run deep routes against a zone, it will draw at least one of the safeties deep and leave more room underneath for intermediate routes.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Quite frankly, I question if Tavon Austin is really all that far away from Desean Jackson now. Sure, he has some improving to do in some areas, but his circumstances have held him back quite a bit, IMO (QB, scheme, plan for his use).

Take a look at Jackson's big plays down the field. More times than not, he just simply takes off down the field and runs by defenders. Nothing special via technique or anything. Just God given speed & a QB that can get him the ball downfield.

Tay wouldn't be that far from DJax's game if that's all there was to it. DJax is an extremely talented pass catcher (very good hands) who knows how to use his quickness to position his body, anticipate and chase down balls, etc.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Upon further review, I'm hopeful that McVay wouldn't limit Tavon to a Desean Jackson type of role as I would like to see him get more RB carries.
:hiding:

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
In other news... Barrison wants Tavon to be more like DeSean Jackson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Tavon won't compare well to him until he becomes more of a technician in his routes. This offense demands that. If he does not improve he will see fewer snaps and end up being relegated to return duties.

I am hoping when he sees how things are trending he will get onboard.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

And don't forget. How many times a year Tavon gets robbed of Big yardage and/ or TD's because of bone-head moves/poor play execution/ penalties by his Team-mates! These things seem to cost Tavon a lot every year!!

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Tavon had 2 more receptions that Desean Jackson last season, but for 1/2 of the yards. That YPC number will need to double for Tavon to become Jackson.
Will believe it when I see it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's not what the RAMS did, it's the defense the opposition chose to play. Indy opted to play man-to-man most of that game and Tavon was able to beat the coverage every play AND the QB got him the ball. But, most teams play Zone when Tavon is on the field. The Rams play calling along with Tavon's inability to make catches over the middle have hindered the teams ability to move the ball against this type of coverage.

If they have Tavon run deep routes against a zone, it will draw at least one of the safeties deep and leave more room underneath for intermediate routes.
I agree with that, but I suspect that the reason they weren't running him on too many deep routes is that he wasn't running them consistently.

I don't know if you can ever reinforce Austin's game with enough scheme that he's worth the contract given, but time will tell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone really think Desean Jackson would have been Desean Jackson had he been wearing horns the last few years??

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
All compare and contrast BS aside. Tavon Austin needs to be Tavon Austin, just needs to be a better new and improved version of the Tavon Austin we've seen thus far.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon had 2 more receptions that Desean Jackson last season, but for 1/2 of the yards. That YPC number will need to double for Tavon to become Jackson.
Will believe it when I see it.

That's scheme not Austin

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin lost 8 touchdowns due to penalties and about 1000 yards too. If those penalties didn't happen Austin Stat line would look good even with the terrible coaching

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've seen tavon get open deep many, many times. Let's not make it like he can't do it. It's not his fault the ball gets there late or never gets there at all.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Does anyone really think Desean Jackson would have been Desean Jackson had he been wearing horns the last few years??
9c08dc8e10a56f8e1e590b9e3dfcaf7f_no-caption-provided-hell-no-meme_400-400.jpeg