Rams want Sam Bradford back/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

Asked whether he'd be receptive to taking a pay cut or reconfiguring his contract, Bradford said that's not necessarily something he will handle.
"Obviously there's a lot of things that can happen," Bradford said. "I'm not really involved in that process. That's why I've got an agent."

Listen, I'm a big time Bradford fan and am pulling for him to return and succeed with us. However I hate when players act like they have no say so on if they'll take a pay cut or not. (see above)
I'd think it would be rather simple to tell your agent "I want to take a pay cut. Get it done or I'll fire you."

Don't you?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Listen, I'm a big time Bradford fan and am pulling for him to return and succeed with us. However I hate when players act like they have no say so on if they'll take a pay cut or not. (see above)
I'd think it would be rather simple to tell your agent "I want to take a pay cut. Get it done or I'll fire you."

Don't you?
Why even have an agent then? He can just walk up to Demoff and say, "Give me less money, fucker."

The reason he needs an agent is to ensure that any new contract benefits the team AND him, and also gives him the latitude to explore other options if need be.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Why even have an agent then? He can just walk up to Demoff and say, "Give me less money, freaker."

The reason he needs an agent is to ensure that any new contract benefits the team AND him, and also gives him the latitude to explore other options if need be.
THAT is why you have an agent. He's a professional at reading and understanding contracts, so that you don't miss any fine print and get burned. That's fine and dandy. But you don't have an agent for the reason of him telling you what you're going to do.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Gotta handle the legalities and all...there are reasons why the agents are educated lawyers that decided to "look out for the best interest of their client" sports players over criminal, marital, bankruptcy, or business law. :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
THAT is why you have an agent. He's a professional at reading and understanding contracts, so that you don't miss any fine print and get burned. That's fine and dandy. But you don't have an agent for the reason of him telling you what you're going to do.
When did Bradford say that's why he has an agent? He only said that he doesn't get involved in the negotiations. And Bradford would be the stupidest man on the planet (not just athlete) if he forced his reps to start a negotiation from a position of weakness.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
When did Bradford say that's why he has an agent? He only said that he doesn't get involved in the negotiations. And Bradford would be the stupidest man on the planet (not just athlete) if he forced his reps to start a negotiation from a position of weakness.
Who of us ever said Bradford needs to "negotiate from a position of weakness?" That's just weird for you to keep saying, haha. Here's kind of how it should work. Bradford tells agent something like: "If they'll give me my full $16 million to play this year then great, take it. Try and get that from the start. But if they won't, I'm willing to take a pay cut down to (insert Bradford's amount here) so that I can stay and play for my team.

It's that easy. I agree that Bradford should not be throwing dollar amounts around during interviews, but he also really shouldn't act like he has no control over what his agent will try to get him paid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Who of us ever said Bradford needs to "negotiate from a position of weakness?" That's just weird for you to keep saying, haha. Here's kind of how it should work. Bradford tells agent something like: "If they'll give me my full $16 million to play this year then great, take it. Try and get that from the start. But if they won't, I'm willing to take a pay cut down to (insert Bradford's amount here) so that I can stay and play for my team.

It's that easy. I agree that Bradford should not be throwing dollar amounts around during interviews, but he also really shouldn't act like he has no control over what his agent will try to get him paid.
You're losing me here. I said it's not smart for him to negotiate from a position of weakness when you said "I'd think it would be rather simple to tell your agent 'I want to take a pay cut. Get it done or I'll fire you'." That's not the way to start a negotiation process. If you want that to be the end game for Bradford, and for him to communicate that, it's still not smart. I'm giving you my perspective as someone who's negotiated multi-million dollar deals on behalf of the other side (e.g., the side of the people who hold the money). Do you know how quickly I would bury someone across the table from me who said, "Yeah, we just want less money, because that's what our client told us to say."?

Bradford isn't 'acting like he has no control over what his agent will try to get him paid'. That's just misreading the comments. Bradford only said that there's a lot that can happen (in the negotiations) and that's why he has agents. To look after his best interests. And that's why he pays his agents 6 figures. He's not saying he won't restructure. He's only saying that he's not going to be involved IN the negotiations. And he won't. Because no players are. Brady didn't announce that he would take a restructured deal before it happened. It came out afterward that he did. And people are even getting THAT information all wrong. All his agents did was position him for better options while helping the team in the short-term. Which is what Bradford's agents will also do if they're worth anything.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The agent will also take a pay cut. I doubt many are going to volunteer for that.

FRO

Legend
Bradford will most likely take a pay cut. That being said what good does it do telling the media that? He would be cutting his agent off at the knees by doing so. It's business. It's not hard to understand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I always like to view people's opinions of these contract situations. It's like digging into why Zac Stacy didn't play all year (He was out of shape; he was injured; by the end of the season we were just showing him off for trade bait). We really don't know what is going on. . .

Really any of these players are smart to put the contracts in the hands of an agent. What percentage of equity is actually given to the players?