Rams want Sam Bradford back/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams want Sam Bradford back
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-open?ex_cid=espnapi_public/print?id=12099938

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams' quarterback job is officially open.

Speaking to the media in his end-of-season news conference Tuesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher made it clear the Rams would like to bring incumbent Sam Bradford back, but with the important caveat that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to him returning as the starter.

"There's going to be competition at the quarterback position, there's no doubt," Fisher said. "With somebody that is not in the building right now. We're hopeful for that. You have to be realistic but I think we need to do that. Sam understands that. He doesn't have any problem with competition. He's been competing his whole life."

Bradford is currently in the midst of rehabilitating from a second torn left ACL in as many seasons. As he recovers from that injury, Bradford heads into an uncertain offseason in which it's clear the Rams would like him back but under the right circumstances.

Bradford is due to count $16.58 million against the 2015 salary cap with a base salary of $12.985 million. The Rams would save that base salary by releasing him but Fisher also made it clear the intent is to bring Bradford back at a reduced rate.

"Sam and I have talked off and on throughout since the injury," Fisher said. "We're going to be getting together here soon. He's very excited about the opportunity to come back and compete for a spot here. We have some work to do obviously from a contractual standpoint that I'm confident we'll sort some things out.

"I think it would make sense that both sides need to get together and work something out."

What that something is has yet to play out. Bradford said Tuesday that he has had conversations with Fisher and general manager Les Snead throughout the season and nothing has changed since the injury in terms of their relationship.

Bradford also said that discussions of his future with the team have yet to take place. Clearly, the Rams would prefer to bring Bradford back cheaper while bringing in another quarterback either via free agency or the draft to compete with him.

Bradford said he would embrace competition but obviously would prefer to come back as the starter. He also said he won't worry about that until the first piece of the puzzle -- his contract -- is worked out.

"If I'm here, that's what I would expect," Bradford said. "But we haven't had really any talks about the future and what's going to happen so until that progresses, I really don't know."

Asked whether he'd be receptive to taking a pay cut or reconfiguring his contract, Bradford said that's not necessarily something he will handle.

"Obviously there's a lot of things that can happen," Bradford said. "I'm not really involved in that process. That's why I've got an agent."

In the meantime, Bradford is focused on getting back to full strength. He plans to stay in St. Louis this offseason to continue his rehab and though he said he felt better after this injury than he did the first one, he and the Rams training staff will likely be a bit more deliberate in bringing him back than they were last year.

Immediately after suffering the injury in August, Bradford said he had moments where he wondered if he ever even wanted to play again. He's since moved past that and is now working to return.

"It was really tough that first week after the injury," Bradford said. "There was part of me for a couple days that I was done with football. I didn't want to come back, I didn't want to play, I was tired of rehabbing. I was just tired of the process. But when you step back and you are away from the game for awhile, then you come back and you're in the building and you're around your teammates, I quickly realized that I wasn't done and that I wanted to come back and that I feel like I've still got a lot to prove."

If and when Bradford does return this time, he won't just have to prove he's healthy, he'll have to prove he's worthy of keeping his job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Obviously there's a lot of things that can happen," Bradford said. "I'm not really involved in that process. That's why I've got an agent."
A lot of people (elsewhere) are taking that to mean that Bradford isn't interested in helping out with his contract (because those people are idiots). But of course what that means is, he's not involved in the negotiation process because players themselves never negotiate contract terms. He has to wait to get the *information* from his agents.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A lot of people (elsewhere) are taking that to mean that Bradford isn't interested in helping out with his contract (because those people are idiots). But of course what that means is, he's not involved in the negotiation process because players themselves never negotiate contract terms. He has to wait to get the *information* from his agents.

Yeah.

Prior to today the topic was speculation. I am encouraged. It looks like both parties expect "to do something".

FRO

Legend
It's like some people have never been in negotiations. You don't give any ground before contract negotiations take place. You have to deal from a position of strength.

The only thing that could hold up a deal is the level of competition he faces. If the Rams plan is to move up in the first and draft a QB, Bradford would probably want to find another place. Buffalo and Cleveland would probably love to have him. If the plan is to get a guy in the second or third or sign a Sanchez type, then he would probably come back.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If they get rid of Cutler then who would be their QB?

Somebody who is not Jay Cutler. There are many at that point.

And this is not my prediction, this is my best case scenario.

FRO

Legend
Bills fan wants him there. I think the Bills may have a better situation than us. Easier division. Sammy Watkins. They went 8-8 with poor QB play.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The part about competing against someone not in the building now puts the last nail in the Hill, Davis coffin.

Bring the best they can get into camp. I want to see that competition.The Bradford vs Clemens, Hill. Davis was boring.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just don't see the Bears getting rid of him. As we know the options in the draft is very limited. If they get rid of Cutler then who would be their QB?
David Fales. I'm hoping the new regime in Chicago let's him go to bring in his "own" developmental QB.
I think Fales can play in this league...although his last name says otherwise ;)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Would you rather have Bradford or Cutler?

Both, Bradford for 6 mill not including incentives for health. Cutler for 12 mil. That's what it costs for one stud QB and we'd win the Super Bowl. It's what I want...

Athos

Legend
Bills fan wants him there. I think the Bills may have a better situation than us. Easier division. Sammy Watkins. They went 8-8 with poor QB play.

With a D about as good as ours, at least.

FRO

Legend
With a D about as good as ours, at least.
That's why the Rams aren't dealing from a total position of strength. He could say screw this and hit the open market and find some good suitors. Buffalo and Cleveland would probably love to have him.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
That's why the Rams aren't dealing from a total position of strength. He could say screw this and hit the open market and find some good suitors. Buffalo and Cleveland would probably love to have him.

But who wants to live in Buffalo? It's cold and windy as hell, not to mention the polar vortex...

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I just don't see the Bears getting rid of him. As we know the options in the draft is very limited. If they get rid of Cutler then who would be their QB?

David Fales bro! Cutler ends up as backup with all that salary cap consumption on the bench. Hey it could....happen...ya know. :LOL: