Rams want Mark Barron back but where does he fit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams want Mark Barron back but where does he fit?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-want-mark-barron-back-but-where-does-he-fit

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- If the Los Angeles Rams had wanted, they could already have safety/linebacker Mark Barron under team control for 2016.

Entering last offseason, the Rams had a decision to make on Barron's status for 2016. As a former first-round pick, they held the right to exercise a fifth-year option to retain him for 2016.

They chose to do that with defensive tackle Michael Brockers, whom the Rams drafted No. 14 overall in the 2012 NFL draft, but Barron's case was a bit different. While Barron went No. 7 in that same draft, it was to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Rams acquired Barron via trade midway through the 2014 season and he played 166 snaps in nine games after his arrival. It wasn't enough to convince the Rams to pay the costly freight of the one-year deal that goes with exercising the option.

Fast forward through a 2015 season in which Barron proved himself a valuable cog in the Rams defense, and there's zero doubt that the Rams would like to bring him back into the fold. Only problem is, now they have to re-sign him as an unrestricted free agent.

“We desperately want him back and he wants to come back," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after the season. "He likes the role. He likes the position. He’s very instinctive around the line of scrimmage."

Although it didn't happen how the Rams would have wanted, Barron had ample opportunity to show his skills in 2015. After starting the season playing a part-time role in the team's "big nickel" package that saw the Rams using three safeties on the field at once, Barron stepped into the weak side linebacker role after Alec Ogletree suffered a season-ending leg/ankle injury.

Officially, the Rams listed Barron as a "weak side safety" but no matter what label the depth chart showed, the best one to describe Barron was "productive." He finished the season with 113 tackles, a sack, three forced fumbles and four pass breakups. Although Ogletree's presence was missed, the Rams fared better than anyone could have expected upon plugging Barron into the role.

Not that having good football players is ever a bad thing, but the Rams now find themselves in the interesting predicament of figuring out Barron's place in the defense and how to maximize that value. Ogletree will be back from his injury, which means Barron could go back to the sub-package spot where he started the season. Another possibility could see the Rams move Ogletree into the middle with Barron back on the weak side. Either way, the Rams must ask themselves if they can find enough snaps for Barron to justify what will presumably be a hefty price.

Fisher believes they will.

"We’ll go back and do our self-scout and those kinds of things here in a few weeks," Fisher said. "But the number of sub packages that we face defensively, from an offensive standpoint, is going to put him on the field. In addition to the nickel back, or (nickel cornerback) Lamarcus [Joyner], you also have the need for that position. So, the game’s changing a little bit. That becomes kind of a starting position for us on defense.”

Especially if it's Barron filling the spot.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Easiest answer ever, with us. It would be in his best interest to stay too. Though he could prob leave to play strictly OLB but I don't think he likes that idea.

jap

Legend
I like the idea of 'Tree filling the middle. The only real question is: does he possess the offensive scheme recognition skills of the Baby Animal?

Last edited:

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
The only other place he would fit in would be with Arizona, and they already have Buchannon playing his position there. If he's smart he won't leave anytime soon.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like the idea of 'Tree filling the middle. The only real question is: does he possess the offensive scheme recognition skills of the Baby Animal?
Maybe....but even if he doesn't...he will in time with film study....Put Ogletree, Ayers, and (Reggie Ragland, Kentrell Brothers, Nick Vigil, Josh Forrest, Cassanova McKinzy, & ROD fav Scooby Wright)... Any one of those guys to help this run D get below 100 yards per game.....Tree will put in work... I still have faith in Bates...but it is waning...Maybe they want to use the LB from Baylor, Hagar....He can run a lil bit.

Mark Barron should play his natural position, SS, and NEVER leave the field. Make a spot for an impact player.... I never understood why we traded for him, if we only planned to use him on certain downs. I really don't understand why he was given a spot, seeing how effective a player he became.

fearsomefour

Legend
If we just lined up the play makers on the D....Quinn, Donald, Ogletree, McDonald, JJ, Johnson, Barron would never leave the field. That is the approach I would prefer. Move MLB in and out, move Barron from LB to S and back, rotate Hayes, Long (if he's still around) Brockers and another DT, different CBs for different alignments, but, working around that core group is the way to go to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You sure do not spend sizable cap $$$ space for a 3rd strong safety non starter. Anyone thinks you do? So he will not be a strong safety candidate. Move on then...So IF he returns it will mandate Barron being a full time starter in the base defense somewhere right?. Anyone have thoughts that are different & why? Is there a question as to where you start him? Not in my mind! You place him right back in the same role that he shined so bright in 2016....anyone disagree with that view how can you why? So if signed he will be our starting Weak side Linebacker/hybrid Safety with a #26 number.

So one Barron is signed the big issue will be .....Now what to we do with our special soon to be all pro LB'er Alex Ogletree? One thing we know about Tree is he can play about anywhere he wants.

Tree with UGA was a "highly athletic converted safety" who was moved inside Lb'er & then blew up offenses on Saturday afternoons. Fisher has always viewed Tree as an "athletic, speedy run-and-chase outside linebacker. But the problem is Tree seems to do his best work chasing from the weak side.

We know that both Tree & Barron will be remaining on the field in passing situations. In the four games before TJ McDonald broke Tree's leg.... we saw the best OLB'er in the NFL at both sideline to sideline in the run game & as a cover 'backer versus tight ends and slot receivers.....none better! Tree has outstanding terrific range, can chase ball carriers & cover tight ends all day long.

Lets hope that Fisher makes a smart cap wise decision on our MLB'er who has been our starter there for 7 seasons 105 straight starts. Not so sure I would move Tree to MLB'er but let him end up playing the strong side where Ayers started last season. With whomever gets the start @ MLB be it Hager, Lynch or Ayers ....where that MLB will be the part-time player now will come off the field quickly in the Nickle & dime defenses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How about the Jets?
Maybe.... but I should remind myself that Mark Barron was born in the deep deep south on the gulf in Mobile Alabama. Going to New York Jets in the winter, here in a month or so to get a job to play there in the future might be too much cold.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd consider not signing Mcdonald and keeping Baron if there was some kind of either or going on. Mcdonald delivers jarring hits too, but he just had shoulder surgery.

I really think the Rams just love Baron's versatility and want to keep using him that way, plus he is fantastic insurance as we saw this season. If the Rams don't land an adequate MLB in the draft or FA, then they could theoretically move Tree inside (I wouldn't) and play Baron in his spot again. Or if they tried Hager inside and it didn't work then the former would be a backup plan.

I view Baron as a special talent. He is a true playmaker. Teams lacking superstars shouldn't be letting guys like that go. And @BonifayRam we don't really know what he will cost yet. We don't know who will offer him what or if the Rams really value all of their free agents the same way we think they do. So who knows if they have to pay him a premium. If they did they could free up that premium by cutting Cook.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd consider not signing Mcdonald and keeping Baron if there was some kind of either or going on. Mcdonald delivers jarring hits too, but he just had shoulder surgery.

I really think the Rams just love Baron's versatility and want to keep using him that way, plus he is fantastic insurance as we saw this season. If the Rams don't land an adequate MLB in the draft or FA, then they could theoretically move Tree inside (I wouldn't) and play Baron in his spot again. Or if they tried Hager inside and it didn't work then the former would be a backup plan.

I view Baron as a special talent. He is a true playmaker. Teams lacking superstars shouldn't be letting guys like that go. And @BonifayRam we don't really know what he will cost yet. We don't know who will offer him what or if the Rams really value all of their free agents the same way we think they do. So who knows if they have to pay him a premium. If they did they could free up that premium by cutting Cook.

This I'd rather have Barron than McDonald. Both are great. But Barron is more versatile, is not coming off an injury, and does not have the tendency to injure his teammates. T.J. has taken a few out with friendly fire now.

I also feel Mo Alexander is a better McDonald replacement than a Barron replacement.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think they should and will retain Barron.

Good teams do not allow such young, healthy, instinctive, and extremely productive players get away.

GW will find ways to utilize him, we can be sure of that. This hybrid LB/S may be the future of NFL D's, and Barron's instincts can't be coached.

J Lau's future is still undetermined, but that's a seperate issue, if you ask me.

The only thing that could screw up Barron's retention is if he asks for stupid money, and I don't think he will. I think, after his Tampa experience, that he understands the value of playing in a scheme that suits him perfectly.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our defense will have around 15 starting caliber players next year, that will be used uniquely and in special packages.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine how confused a team would be if we came out with 4 CBs, 3 S, 3 DL and Ogletree....have Tree as a single high safety with our 3 safeties at LB spots, and Quinn/Donald/Hayes on the line.

Have Jenkins and TruJo on the outside with Gaines and Joyner in the slot.

At the snap, Joyner and Barron blitz, Gaines, McCleod, Jenkins and TruJo are in man to man. McDonald bails to zone the middle of the field, while Tree comes down and covers a TE/RB.

Even Peyton Manning would have no idea what our defense was going to do with that type of look, and there are so many effective pass rushers and blitzers in there they'd have no idea where they were coming from.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.......This hybrid LB/S may be the future of NFL D's, and Barron's instincts can't be coached.
Excellent thought! We see so many offense going up tempo to prevent the defense player changes. With a Hybrid player like Barron.... would help greatly lower the DC concerns with the offensive personnel. Barron can play the run & the pass equally. Whereas a Ayers would be an instant mismatch on a slot WR or RB running a pass route.
I think, after his Tampa experience, that he understands the value of playing in a scheme that suits him perfectly.
So true Barron does not have a good work history starting in any of the two standard safety posts.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Keep him. Swapping him for Akeem Ayers based on the situations is what he is best at. It has nothing to do with where the other LBers are. JL and Alec Ogletree will do their thing where they are. Don't mess with anything unless there's an obvious upgrade (like a Luke Kuechly type player).

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent

I'd like to see this move as well.