Rams Waive DB Brian Randolph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a medical guy....anatomy & physiology...structure usually defines function...you can only do what your body allows...guys built for power & speed usually perform as such. You can have the all MIT, Cal Tech, Harvard guys you want...it won't make them better football players.

Coaching is about motivation...how do you get talented, grown ass men to do what you ask? That's the key...Will guys try to do what you say? Or will they not?

What about a QB that didn't realize the sun rose in the east?

OTA's and Mini-camp is about teaching in the classroom....then demonstrating what is taught or learned on the field in walk throughs...if a guy doesn't get it right away, do you cut them? Or continue teaching? What if Donald didn't get the scheme? Oh, we're not cutting him, huh?
We should be coaching these guys up...And THEN when placed on the field...with pads...against competition...judge then cut guys....JMO
You're trying to compare a fringe roster guy, the #6 or 7 safety to the best DT in the game or saying they'd treat them the same? We will never likely know why he was let go this early. But common sense leads to three ideas to me. First he wasn't grasping it the classroom. This is the easiest to guess imo. Second he's not recovering from his injury. Also very likely as he's had what thee acl injuries. Lastly the liked what they saw in the other players at his position more than him. Couple that with slow in the classroom and injuries that won't go away and decided to cut bait.

Suffice it to say there are many reasons a player can and will be cut without pads on all seem pretty logical to me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sorry Jake no jersey, but keep fighting the good fight.
0703-mgm-jake-lamotta-getty-1.jpg
Dang I'll make sure not to smart off to Jake!

It looks like he's ready to rock somebody's world. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Doesnt Marquis Christian have FS and slot experience?
Yep. I've always liked him ever since the Cardinals mentioned in articles that they're mad that they lost him in the gambit of placing him on the practice squad.

He made the Cardinals initial 53 before being placed on the practice squad for some special teams player.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I guess we just have to believe these guys know what they're doing.....allegedly.
So now Wade Phillips' football intelligence is being questioned because one of your (UDFA) guys got cut?? You are too much my friend.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So now Wade Phillips' football intelligence is being questioned because one of your (UDFA) guys got cut?? You are too much my friend.

When it's different from his yes
I'm not questioning anything about Wade....

I just don't think all defensive cuts are his decisions....I don't think all cuts are based on talent more likely $$$$....I only question how anyone can ascertain how effective any football player actual play is measured without playing a single game in pads?

If we cut every single udfa....who cares? But to act like these guys can't make the team...based on talent...and the new type of "mentally sharp" Rams....c'mon.

I'm just not a lead a sheep to slaughter and go along with it type of guy....I'd like to know the whys...What are we looking for?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some of Brian Randolph's competition were these two below DB's. Both have some talent:

Marqui Christian
#41 & Blake Countess #29 were 5th & 6th round selections from the Cards & Eagles both were rookies last season. I see where many have posted about how well Christian looked in his cameo appearances?. If you take a look @ their 2016 season stats you might find that maybe some have mistaken Christian as Countess.

It was Blake Countess who started the last two games of the season in place of Lamarcus Joyner. Fact is Marqui Christian leans heavy as a strong safety & his stats indicate 1 tack & 1 assist both happened on ST's. Now take a look at Blake Countess who is leans much more as an Free Safety/Nickle in the NFL. Stats in Countess final 2 games as a starter 12 tackles & 8 assists with 1 sack all in just two games.Marqui Christian was not active the last 2 games of the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't think all defensive cuts are his decisions....I don't think all cuts are based on talent more likely $$$$....I only question how anyone can ascertain how effective any football player actual play is measured without playing a single game in pads?

Sorry but to think McVay is gonna cut somebody that Wade wants and likes is just silly. As for ascertaining a players effectiveness I'll ask this again. If a guy can't grasp the scheme in the classroom. Then when they go out he again displays he can't grasp the scheme or his role do you need to put pads on him? If a guy can't grasp the mental part of the game what difference does it make if you put pads on him? I'll answer for you it makes no difference! If the guy can't grasp the mental side of the game putting pads on him changes nothing. Also if the guy is injured again or still what possible difference could putting pads on a defective ACL make?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If a guy can't grasp the scheme in the classroom. Then when they go out he again displays he can't grasp the scheme or his role do you need to put pads on him? If a guy can't grasp the mental part of the game what difference does it make if you put pads on him? I'll answer for you it makes no difference! If the guy can't grasp the mental side of the game putting pads on him changes nothing. Also if the guy is injured again or still what possible difference could putting pads on a defective ACL make?

Guys learn differently, agreed? Some guys can translate white board stuff to the field like nothing. It usually helps if he's been exposed to such type of teaching for a while...like in high school then obviously college. Some guys it takes rep after rep....hands on....some guys need a bunch of both...OTA's is when the bulk of the teaching is conducted. But it's only a few days....but long hours. I wouldn't put it past most of these guys that they need quite a bit of actual field reps as well as quizzes in the classroom for a bunch of these new installs to stick. Why not just wait until we see them all in pads B4 we start cutting them? Just because you learn faster...or for that matter slower, doesn't mean that one person is smarter than the other. It certainly doesn't mean, to me, that one is BETTER or a BETTER PLAYER than the other.
Every scout, nfl talking head says our roster is short on talent....especially in the offensive line, wide receiver, and I'd add secondary.....what the hell kinda sense does it make to be cutting guys this soon? Unless we are positive we have adequate replacements on the roster? With the likelihood of injuries, why cut anyone at any position NOW? Grasping a new scheme is difficult for some....especially younger players...it's the same with any player on this team...if Goff, Ogletree, Saffold, or TAVON look confused the first half of the season, they kinda get a pass....they haven't mastered the new system yet....if they continue to struggle....then I'd agree....the mental side of the game IS too tough for THIS player in THIS system. The Lions just did to us what the Patriots do to so many teams....

I get change the culture....find HIS type of players...I saw every game twice...I think I saw who was quitting...who was playing for me....and guess what? I still think a couple of those types are STILL in our mist....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys learn differently, agreed? Some guys can translate white board stuff to the field like nothing. It usually helps if he's been exposed to such type of teaching for a while...like in high school then obviously college. Some guys it takes rep after rep....hands on....some guys need a bunch of both...OTA's is when the bulk of the teaching is conducted. But it's only a few days....but long hours. I wouldn't put it past most of these guys that they need quite a bit of actual field reps as well as quizzes in the classroom for a bunch of these new installs to stick. Why not just wait until we see them all in pads B4 we start cutting them? Just because you learn faster...or for that matter slower, doesn't mean that one person is smarter than the other. It certainly doesn't mean, to me, that one is BETTER or a BETTER PLAYER than the other.
Every scout, nfl talking head says our roster is short on talent....especially in the offensive line, wide receiver, and I'd add secondary.....what the hell kinda sense does it make to be cutting guys this soon? Unless we are positive we have adequate replacements on the roster? With the likelihood of injuries, why cut anyone at any position NOW? Grasping a new scheme is difficult for some....especially younger players...it's the same with any player on this team...if Goff, Ogletree, Saffold, or TAVON look confused the first half of the season, they kinda get a pass....they haven't mastered the new system yet....if they continue to struggle....then I'd agree....the mental side of the game IS too tough for THIS player in THIS system. The Lions just did to us what the Patriots do to so many teams....

I get change the culture....find HIS type of players...I saw every game twice...I think I saw who was quitting...who was playing for me....and guess what? I still think a couple of those types are STILL in our mist....

I was struck by another thought after posting my previous comment. For somebody who is in love with prospects who excel in the underwear olympics you sure don't like players cut before they put pads on. Funny how you can tell a guy's good in the combine but can't fathom a guy being cut before putting pads on. Just seems like a major double standard there.

I'll just drop it I don't get how it's hard to understand you can see a guy isn't a fit or isn't healthy before he puts pads on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Funny how you can tell a guy's good in the combine but can't fathom a guy being cut before putting pads on. Just seems like a major double standard there.
Not funny at all, I like a guys measurables....but I still wanna see him play....in our scheme...away from others/teams/coaching. Just cause I like a 40 time...or bench...or anything, wouldn't YOU wanna see them play b4 getting cut? What's the rush?

Again...much respect Ole School...14 years of losing...I'm just waiting to see the turn around too...

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Not funny at all, I like a guys measurables....but I still wanna see him play....in our scheme...away from others/teams/coaching. Just cause I like a 40 time...or bench...or anything, wouldn't YOU wanna see them play b4 getting cut? What's the rush?

Again...much respect Ole School...14 years of losing...I'm just waiting to see the turn around too...

Could be two other reasons. One possibility is that these could be "message cuts"--guys who McVay knows he won't be using and he's showing the rest of the unit or team that anyone who can't get up to speed quickly is gone quickly. The other reason might be more benevolent: let a guy you know you won't be keeping look for another job now, rather than during the flood of 1200 guys looking for jobs on the 90 to 53 cut.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
or maybe Mcvay is clearing out the crap .he doesnt want and maybe has hi eyes on some other players floating around that make an impact and wants to pick them up at a later date

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
might be more benevolent: let a guy you know you won't be keeping look for another job now

This was the only thing I could think of....giving guys a head start on a new team...pick up the system...I doubt North, Randolph, or....whomever else is released b4 training camp at this moment is a "bad" character....oh....excluding Ty Walker.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This was the only thing I could think of....giving guys a head start on a new team...pick up the system...I doubt North, Randolph, or....whomever else is released b4 training camp at this moment is a "bad" character....oh....excluding Ty Walker.
So where does he go ?? Will he even make it in the NFL ? Remember he was a udfa.
He would have already been cut had he not got hurt. To think you thought he could be a starter is laughable.
Randolphs saving grace was his injury.
You don't give Mo Alexander enough credit. Talk about a guy that can bring the wood.