Rams Waive DB Brian Randolph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brian Randolph has a good deal of damage to both of his knees....I know of 3 ACL tears thus far & theirs more other soft tissue damage to other ares of the knees too. A very steep hill to overcome to make this 2017 Rams free safety unit that has some very good talent. The selection of John Johnson with our second day of the draft made this release by the Ram Org. probable.

I was of the opinion that Brian was more deep/free safety than strong safety...Rams currently have Mo Alexander, Cody Davis, Lamarcus Joyner, Blake Countess, Isaiah Johnson & the newly above mentioned John Johnson so really how many deep free safeties do the Rams need on this roster. Plus the there are many several strong safeties not mentioned in this list. In addition there are several corners who can play deep safety as well. ;)

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
OMG !!! ---- Why some of you bought into him is WAY BEYOND ME !!!!

LMFAO !!! DID Not EVEN MAKE IT
To Training camp on th 90 !!

YEAH McVay & Don't forget WADE !!

What a joke of a players hype. Been posting it all along .

To think Posters wanted as the starting FS ???? Lmfao . Can't stop. lol

Thankful this staff really understands how to evaluate talent.

---Niw posters can grill me . --Just from following the photos & videos from OTA's
Is this #58 Casanova looks like he might make the 53 man roster ??

I have not got any yeah or nah's on him from posters at all. --Just a prediction.

I went to UCI last year & thought nothing about Randolph . Was waiting to blast poster who were thinking he was going to start. --Then he blows out his knee on his first play on a kickoff . Then less than a year of rehab , he will be a starter & even make the 53 man roster ??

--The Rams drafted John Johnson that had to be a key to the coaching staffs thoughts of Randolph.

Bryant from Ohio State was better than Randolph. Fisher only kept like 3 safeties
Last year ??

I remember my first time getting drunk too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
FWIW's we have certainly seen several of guys like this over the years like Gaylon Hyder & Jon Kirksey for example and even though he made the squad I thought Darrius Blevins was going to be a special wide receiver. Oh well we all fall in love with UDFA's that's for sure.
s_horne_i.jpg

Don't forget about Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick.;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By my count the Rams are down to 5 Safeties on there 90/85 man Roster:
* Isaiah Johnson
* LaMarcus Joyner
* Mo Alexander
* Cody Davis
* John Johnson
So I guess we wont be making any Cuts in this area to get down to 53!!:LOL:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I haven't seen much hype for Shakeir Ryan. Just a lot of interest. And it's probably because of what Taylor Gabriel has done. BTW, Ryan was actually 162 lbs at his Pro Day, which is just 5 lbs lighter than Falcons returner/WR Taylor Gabriel is listed now. And I'm sure new OC and former Falcons QB coach LaFleur took notice.

Now the hype train, starts and ends with Nelson Spruce. Understandable. He's a local favorite that even lives minutes away from the facility. And many fell in love with the skill set contrast he had with last years group. Problem is, he doesn't really have such a contrast vs. this years group.

Just checked. Looks like former Redskins (McVay connection) DeSean Jackson was just 7 lbs heavier at his Pro Day (2 inches taller though).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By my count the Rams are down to 5 Safeties on there 90/85 man Roster:
* Isaiah Johnson
* LaMarcus Joyner
* Mo Alexander
* Cody Davis
* John Johnson
So I guess we wont be making any Cuts in this area to get down to 53!!:LOL:
Doesnt Marquis Christian have FS and slot experience?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Doesnt Marquis Christian have FS and slot experience?
Yes. that could be a move the rams might make. I have him slotted in as a CB though! I am just wondering, how many CB's and How many Safties the Rams will carry this year! IF a player can play both positions, so much the better!!(y)(y):D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brian Randolph has a good deal of damage to both of his knees....I know of 3 ACL tears thus far & theirs more other soft tissue damage to other ares of the knees too. A very steep hill to overcome to make this 2017 Rams free safety unit that has some very good talent. The selection of John Johnson with our second day of the draft made this release by the Ram Org. probable.

I was of the opinion that Brian was more deep/free safety than strong safety...Rams currently have Mo Alexander, Cody Davis, Lamarcus Joyner, Blake Countess, Isaiah Johnson & the newly above mentioned John Johnson so really how many deep free safeties do the Rams need on this roster. Plus the there are many several strong safeties not mentioned in this list. In addition there are several corners who can play deep safety as well. ;)

Cody Davies,Alexander,Johnson, & Joyner are locks ??

Both Joyner & Johnson can play a little CB. I don't know what Wade's defense rosters have looked like in the past though. The Rams just exchange Johnson for TJ McDonald.

The CB maybe keep only 4-5 ? Troy Hill will miss a few games. Actually could work out for him ?? Just gives security
Later on at the position,if need be.Gives The Rams practice squad more depth ?

That DT from Iowa has no chance to make 53 . This kid from Tulane is going to be special. The dude works his azzz of after practice. Players are impressed by his work ethic. Johnson loves the kid.
-- He has that Dencan Jones hand slap down. Real aggressive at the point of attack. I also think he benifited from Aaron Donald's absence from ota's

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I never got the Randolph hype on here.

Why some of you bought into him is WAY BEYOND ME !!!!
Boy, you guys are hyped up....

Randolph was a undrafted free agent....he had knee injuries....he was an enforcer/leader on a Tenn. Volunteer defense that played Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and other SEC and ACC teams that have pros on the field....today. He is a supreme athlete and a nice guy.

When I look at our safeties....Joyner, Davis, Mo ....and Johnson....I don't see superior players. Or anyone that screams, "I'm the best on the team"...I see some average players. While it's hard to judge players off of highlight tape, his is pretty impressive...He's a hitter...and has some range.

Much like several guys were downing Mike Thomas on a few plays...I saw HIM at UCI as well, and he's a player...whether we cut him or not...Same with McRoberts...or Quick, err North...Will any of these guys make it? Who knows....are they talented enough, without a doubt.

Again....b4 pads....or preseason games....it's odd to be cutting players? I guess we just have to believe these guys know what they're doing.....allegedly.

Both Joyner & Johnson can play a little CB. I don't know what Wade's defense rosters have looked like in the past though.
From what I remember, Son of bums DB's are speed guys...especially corner....Safeties are low 4.5 guys that hit....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes. that could be a move the rams might make. I have him slotted in as a CB though! I am just wondering, how many CB's and How many Safties the Rams will carry this year! IF a player can play both positions, so much the better!!(y)(y):D

I really think The Rams core is in place.
There is not going to be to many surprises.

My sleeper is LB 58 Casanova . Don't know how he will fit ?? Think maybe behind Tre or Barron .

He is showing up everywhere. There were some players hurt or sitting out at the end of OTA's though .

--Hager was a Fisher guy. He was ok as a backup , but this guy looks really fluid & gets good depth in pass coverage for his size. Very athletic looking.
--call me crazy , but coming out of OTA's he is getting some seriously good reps(looks) .
Barry is going to be a heck of a good Linebacker coach. He is the teller & screamer on the staff.Keeps players fired up. Wade thinks very highly of him.
Johnson is imo a better D-line coach that The Rams old coach.

--That Littleton guy is not making much noise at LBer ? He was the Rams rookie of the year ?? Really ??? - I bet he gets cut .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
--That Littleton guy is not making much noise at LBer ? He was the Rams rookie of the year ?? Really ??? - I bet he gets cut .
The Washington team he came from has several guys in the pros...He's just one of them that is proving that those former Huskies had talent on that side of the ball.

How can LB's make noise in OTA's without PADS!?!?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Boy, you guys are hyped up....

Randolph was a undrafted free agent....he had knee injuries....he was an enforcer/leader on a Tenn. Volunteer defense that played Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and other SEC and ACC teams that have pros on the field....today. He is a supreme athlete and a nice guy.

When I look at our safeties....Joyner, Davis, Mo ....and Johnson....I don't see superior players. Or anyone that screams, "I'm the best on the team"...I see some average players. While it's hard to judge players off of highlight tape, his is pretty impressive...He's a hitter...and has some range.

Much like several guys were downing Mike Thomas on a few plays...I saw HIM at UCI as well, and he's a player...whether we cut him or not...Same with McRoberts...or Quick, err North...Will any of these guys make it? Who knows....are they talented enough, without a doubt.

Again....b4 pads....or preseason games....it's odd to be cutting players? I guess we just have to believe these guys know what they're doing.....allegedly.

From what I remember, Son of bums DB's are speed guys...especially corner....Safeties are low 4.5 guys that hit....

He had some great CB's Rams should benefit having Webster !!

John Johnson talks about a player from Boston Colloge as well that Wade drafted. He says he knows Wade through him & his system.
--McVay likes smart players & Johnson fits that bill. Stewart the ex-ram started ahead of Rodney McCloud before going to Baltimore. Those are 2 udfa The Rams have had at safety that have been close to pro bowl level.Rodney got paid.
Helped with comp picks this year.
I think you look into a players body more than his mind.

-- When you like a bone head player( an another Auburn SEC guy) that have talent , but just never get it !!! Don't get me wrong ,but I HATE stupid penalties.

I think we will see a much better Rams discipline that has not shown up in awhile. -- There was a surprising stat though about Wade & McVays penalties
that I think they need to change as well as a staff. I think McVay gets the big picture & he is not with Gruden ?? Will see , but that is my hope & thought about the coaches mindset.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Washington team he came from has several guys in the pros...He's just one of them that is proving that those former Huskies had talent on that side of the ball.

How can LB's make noise in OTA's without PADS!?!?
By mpressing coaches with grasping the scheme in the classroom then when they hit the field to walk through what they learned in the classroom. Not all learning, coaching or execution comes only when the pads are on.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Why ??? Did you go to training camp last year ???

Are you going off his pro day ???

I don't understand the hype one but ???

I wish he didn't get hurt. He got his 15 minutes of fame on hard knocks.

I say I found my Mermaid,but don't honestly believe in them.

I thought what he did at Tennessee gave him a good chance at getting drafted, and if I remember correctly, the coaches liked what they saw up to the point he got hurt..

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's a lot of gentle ribbing about UDFA's right now but I wonder if we can all agree that it will get really fun during training camp, our camp reporters are great and they'll let us know if any of them will pop and the fun debate for me will be when we get to see those that popped in TC get a chance to show if they can make the roster in preseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think you look into a players body more than his mind.
I'm a medical guy....anatomy & physiology...structure usually defines function...you can only do what your body allows...guys built for power & speed usually perform as such. You can have the all MIT, Cal Tech, Harvard guys you want...it won't make them better football players.

Coaching is about motivation...how do you get talented, grown ass men to do what you ask? That's the key...Will guys try to do what you say? Or will they not?

-- When you like a bone head player( an another Auburn SEC guy) that have talent , but just never get it !!! Don't get me wrong ,but I HATE stupid penalties.
What about a QB that didn't realize the sun rose in the east?

By mpressing coaches with grasping the scheme in the classroom then when they hit the field to walk through what they learned in the classroom. Not all learning, coaching or execution comes only when the pads are on.
OTA's and Mini-camp is about teaching in the classroom....then demonstrating what is taught or learned on the field in walk throughs...if a guy doesn't get it right away, do you cut them? Or continue teaching? What if Donald didn't get the scheme? Oh, we're not cutting him, huh?
We should be coaching these guys up...And THEN when placed on the field...with pads...against competition...judge then cut guys....JMO

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good point, was my only thought as to why they let Randolph go. That and Injuries he couldn't overcome. The Johnson pick suggests he wasn't healthy and they weren't confident, the cut proves it.

Good assertion and post Bonifay!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm a medical guy....anatomy & physiology...structure usually defines function...you can only do what your body allows...guys built for power & speed usually perform as such. You can have the all MIT, Cal Tech, Harvard guys you want...it won't make them better football players.

Coaching is about motivation...how do you get talented, grown ass men to do what you ask? That's the key...Will guys try to do what you say? Or will they not?

What about a QB that didn't realize the sun rose in the east?

OTA's and Mini-camp is about teaching in the classroom....then demonstrating what is taught or learned on the field in walk throughs...if a guy doesn't get it right away, do you cut them? Or continue teaching? What if Donald didn't get the scheme? Oh, we're not cutting him, huh?
We should be coaching these guys up...And THEN when placed on the field...with pads...against competition...judge then cut guys....JMO

1. Your an excellent poster !! Body a frame ?? Mind over matter ??
I think it all has to add up. I think team chemistry is going to something special.
I think Spruce makes the team. Copper Kupp as well.They work hard & will understand the offense. Tavon Austin has all the speed in the world. I think McVay will put him in spots to succeed.
--Mannion was all time passer in PAC 12 history .
2 -Goff is a straight up Baller(not Lakers new PG tonight :) . He gets the X & O 's of what he needs to do. Sometimes it is about tucking away.

3. Fisher imo sucked as a H/C .It was about him not getting the most out of his players & coaching staff. His ego was huge.
Walk throughs ?? It's about film & execution . Walk through vs getting on the grass & working ?? Him not going through mandatory OTA's WAS INSNANE .
McVay has more of an uptempo flow to his practices. Fisher was about not getting injured & walking through a practice . ---I do think Fisher being The Rams H/C makes The Rams a much better team moving forward though. I think The locker room & core players are in place. McVay brought some solid veterans & younger talent to really get The Rams moving in the right direction .