Rams vs Saints: Grades & Analysis Plus Saffold's Future, Harkey, Quinn, etc (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Quarterback:

After consecutive disappointing interdivisional outings on the road against the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens bounced back with a big game Sunday vs. the then-10-3 New Orleans Saints.

Back home in the Edward Jones Dome, Clemens completed 70 percent of his passes (14 of 20) for 158 yards, two touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 126.7.

Not coincidentally, Clemens got his game back as the Rams’ ground game reverted to robust form after a two-week hiatus. Like most quarterbacks, Sam Bradford’s backup benefits when equipped with a strong running game.

Clemens’ teammates, including defensive end Chris Long, are appreciative of the efforts the eight-year veteran continues making.

“Kellen’s been great,” Long said. “It just proves to have a good backup (quarterback) is such an important thing in this league. He’s played great for us. He hasn’t turned the ball over a lot. He hasn’t tried to do too much. He’s just done a good job being tough and showing that spark that we need to kind of get those wins.”

Grade: A

Running Back:

If it weren’t clear already, rookie Zac Stacy – whom ESPN’s Todd McShay touted as the 2013 NFL draft’s best running back in regard to vision and patience – was a bona-fide steal as a fifth-round selection.

On Sunday, Stacy posted another stellar outing, racking up 133 yards rushing on 28 attempts. His effort included an explosive 40-yard score that showed he has a little more breakaway speed than many have given him credit for.

(Hope you will enjoy full read below with grades and analysis of each position group with a look at Rodger Saffold's future, Zac Stacy's growth, Robert Quinn, Cory Harkey and more. Thanks for reading):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/12/18/rams-vs-saints-grays-grades-analysis/

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Simply put, it was a grand afternoon for the offensive line, which thrived both in regard to run-blocking and pass protection, as it opened up some nice holes on the ground and kept Clemens clean to the tune of zero sacks. Of note, Rodger Saffold slid back to right guard with Joe Barksdale back in the lineup at right tackle. It is becoming crystal clear that Saffold – a longtime left tackle before taking over at right tackle this year – is at his best at guard, as he continued to dominate at the position against the Saints.
One would have to assume that Rams decision-makers are taking note and considering plans to free up the cash needed to lock the free agent to-be up long-term. Fisher
offered up words of strong words of endorsement for the veteran offensive lineman (SAFFOLD) following this week’s action. “It’s impressive to watch him play,” Fisher said. “He’s done a great job – run game, pass protection, athletically, pulling. He’s doing most of the pulling in that run scheme and he’s blocking very affectively.”

Music to my ears!:juiced::heh:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Nice article again Shane.
Any word on how Roger Saffold feels about staying put at Guard?

Alan

Legend
Easy week to grade eh? :D

Good job as usual Shane. I'd like to know what Saffold is thinking too but of course he's not going to screw up his off season negotiations just to satisfy our curiosity. Darn it! :sad:

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice article again Shane.
Any word on how Roger Saffold feels about staying put at Guard?

Thanks for the kind words, Rambitious1.

Any feelings there will likely be encouraged to be muted via advice from his agent with free agency pending.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What I enjoy about your scorecards, Shane, is the commentary you add. Not the typical bits we normally see elsewhere... You put a lot of meat on the bone. The quotes from Clemens (on Stacy) and C Long (on Clemens) for example. Great!

I always respect your grades, because they are well supported... You might have been a tad generous on the WR here. I say that because that's not enough production on another day. More improvement needed!

I am falling in love with this oline. I think it's not set for the future yet, but guys like JLong and Saffold are mean men on the field. I love that!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great job as always Shane!!! The are much better to read(and write i believe) after a great win like that.

STL-Rams

Starter
What I enjoy about your scorecards, Shane, is the commentary you add. Not the typical bits we normally see elsewhere... You put a lot of meat on the bone. The quotes from Clemens (on Stacy) and C Long (on Clemens) for example. Great!

I always respect your grades, because they are well supported... You might have been a tad generous on the WR here. I say that because that's not enough production on another day. More improvement needed!

I am falling in love with this oline. I think it's not set for the future yet, but guys like JLong and Saffold are mean men on the field. I love that!

This meant a lot to me and I appreciate the feedback very much! Merry Christmas, CGI_Ram!

STL-Rams

Starter
Great job as always Shane!!! The are much better to read(and write i believe) after a great win like that.

Thanks, Tron, and yes they are a lot more enjoyable to put together after a W.