Rams vs Packers: 8 Players to Watch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/8/16/4604760/NFL-preseason-rams-vs-packers-players-to-watch-tavon-austin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/8/16/ ... von-austin</a>
Rams vs Packers: 8 Players to Watch
Another week, another preseason game. This time the St. Louis Rams will stay home to play the Green Bay Packers. Since this is preseason, no one cares about the scores; what's important is how players play. This week I included 8 Rams that you should keep your eyes on when they step on the field Saturday.

Here are your players to watch:

Tavon Austin - Austin is the player that everyone in the NFL wants to see. It was disappointing last week that he didn't come down with his only catch attempt and that the Browns kicked it short to him on a punt return. The Rams keep mentioning that they are being very vanilla with the offense and Austin, but why else will fans go to the game? Spending all that money to see Sam Bradford's awkward faces when he's throwing? No. Everyone wants to see the excitement that Austin will bring, but will it happen against the Packers or not until Week 1?

Darian Stewart - Last week Stewart wasn't impressive as a starter, which wasn't a shock because he really didn't play much last season. It's too early to tell if he's even starting caliber or suited towards being the 3rd safety. The Rams need him to play better than he did against the Browns last week, if not he might have to watch over his shoulder, because the other safeties could be closing in.

Joe Barksdale - It's always good to have a good depth at offensive tackle, for obvious reasons. Barksdale will start at right tackle now that Rodger Saffold is injured. He looked good on the right side against the Browns, but when he lined up on the left last season it wasn't as pretty. If he has a strong preseason, it will give the Rams more insurance heading into the regular season.

Isaiah Pead - Out of everyone on the list, Pead might have the most to lose with a bad game this week. If the running backs behind Pead keep having solid games, Pead could end up losing his place on the depth chart as the 2nd running back. If he has a good game, everyone will breathe a sigh of relief.

Ray Ray Armstrong - This UDFA had a solid game at linebacker. I liked his speed and he was able to come away with a couple of tackles. With Dunbar out for the first four games, he could really be under the microscope. He's a player to watch ,and there's no doubt in my mind that he will make the Rams final 53.

Brandon McGee - Yes, McGee is a rookie cornerback, but the Rams have been high on him. So high that it sounds like he's neck and neck with second-year corner Trumaine Johnson, since he was running with the starters and Trumaine Johnson was with the twos at Thursday practice. It could be nothing, but it will be interesting to watch.

Austin Pettis - Right now he is one of the starting outside receivers, the question is how long will he stay there. He has to know that rookie Stedman Bailey and second-year receiver Brian Quick are trying to take the spot from him. Pettis will try and prove why he should be a starter on Saturday. If he has another bad game he could lose the starting spot.

Will Witherspoon - With Jo-Lonn Dunbar missing the first 4 games of the season the Rams have decided that they will go with Witherspoon as a starter. It makes perfect sense because Witherspoon is an experienced linebacker. But is he good enough to replace Dunbar? Or will he be the weak link of the linebackers?

These are the players to watch this week against the Packers, who did I miss? What players will you be watching this Saturday against the Packers?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's a pretty solid list right there.

I'll say Barksdale, Pead, Armstrong, and McGee top my list (plus Quick and Bailey).

The rest on that list we pretty much know what they bring.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I think this game tonight is HUGE for Pead. He has to show some flashes and consistancy or he could bottom out on the starting roster depth chart. I'm really concerned with the lb depth WAY too many missed tackles last week.

I think Andrew Hemlick could have made that list over Austin. I honestly don't expect to see Tavon targeted very much until the preseason.

Ray Ray!!!!

Also, I expect a good game out of ip tonight and wish him the best of luck in his journey to hang on to the football!!